Code of Conduct

Default Creed Royal Oud , what should I expect?

I will receive my royal Oud sample today, and this will be my first sniff of "Oud". I have no idea what Oud smells like and after what everyone says about it I'm extremely curious and excited to see what it's all about. I hear people say royal Oud doesn't have any Oud smell in it. As my first time smelling Oud will I be able to distinguish any Oud in royal Oud? Or will I have to wait for another sample of something else to get a feel of what Oud is?

Default Re: Creed Royal Oud , what should I expect?

It is a spicy wood..the Oud is very mild. It is a nice scent.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

RO is a nice scent, and if one tries, one could make the correlation between it and the real thing. If you are specifically curious about the Oud note, I would seek out other Oud prominent frags such as by Montale. To really round out your scent education, look for samples of the real thing to give your nose a baseline understanding.

Do not let the " Royal Oud" on the bottle mislead you into thinking this scent is something special. It's very soft incensey fresh spicy fragrance with woods. I find it very generic though it does not smell bad just boring.

Basenotes Plus

Disappointment

I think it's one of the best Creeds, but not a good representation of what oud smells like.

To put it bluntly, it is neither very royal, nor very oud. As has been said, it's a rather generic masculine and the defining materials, specially on the drydown, are inferior to most 1980s or earlier mainstream releases of this character. I personally think any one of the classic Aramis scents (Aramis, Tuscany, 900, Devin) is far superior to this.

AS to the Oud, it is either synthetic or one of the newer prefab products offered by the big scent corporations (Givaudan), some of which are natural, but they have little to do with genuine oud, having been streamlined for Western markets. Do try a Montale like black Aoud for a better impression (though this is also synthetic).
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

A very classy scent from Creed. More spice than Oud.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    A very classy scent from Creed. More spice than Oud.
    Way more spice than oud.

I'll tell you this, smelling the oud in this may spoil your impression of real oud.

for swap/sale:

Royal Whatever-just-not-really-oud. A nice 'nuff scent IMO. Not crazy for it.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    To put it bluntly, it is neither very royal, nor very oud. As has been said, it's a rather generic masculine and the defining materials, specially on the drydown, are inferior to most 1980s or earlier mainstream releases of this character. I personally think any one of the classic Aramis scents (Aramis, Tuscany, 900, Devin) is far superior to this.

AS to the Oud, it is either synthetic or one of the newer prefab products offered by the big scent corporations (Givaudan), some of which are natural, but they have little to do with genuine oud, having been streamlined for Western markets. Do try a Montale like black Aoud for a better impression (though this is also synthetic).
    Totally agree with this. I received a TPC sample of Royal Oud earlier this week and was completely underwhelmed. I'll stick with my "mainstream" Creeds.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Spicy notes, but feels lux.

I think this is a wonderfully crafted scent and one of Creed's best. I detect the oud very strongly in the beginning, but not so much as it dries down.

Quote Originally Posted by digger51 View Post
    This

don't let the negative comments scare you... it's one of the best creeds and with time you'll learn to appreciate it. The dry down is very nice... as for the Oud note, well I don't detect much oud in it. Oh and by the way if you want experiment more with oud scents, Montale is NOT the way to go.

Put it this way, I got a sample with some full bottle purchases and had Maison Francis Kurkdijian's Oud on one wrist and this on the other. MFK made Creed look like a petulant child desperately pleading for attention that I wasn't going to give. I won't even bring Mona di Orio into the playground!

Having said that it is a pleasant, inoffensive fragrance, just nothing special IMO.

Expect a really pleasing and interesting blend of spices, almost feels dry to me, with a slight woodiness to it. Expect it to last less than you thought also.

Thanks guys appreciate the feedback. So what would you suggest be my next Oud purchase as a beginner?

Leather Oud

Quote Originally Posted by fragnifiscent View Post
    Thanks guys appreciate the feedback. So what would you suggest be my next Oud purchase as a beginner?
    Well, you've come at the right time in perfumery looking for it :-)
    Micallef Aoud Homme, smooth and sweet
    Montale Black Aoud, dark, with patchouli and rose
    Dior Leather Oud, skanky and leathery
    Montale Red Aoud, gourmand and intense
    Juliette Has A Gun Midnight Oud, musky rose and oud, theoretically feminine but actually totally unisex
    But there are gazillions!
    I think the combinations of mainly oud and rose or oud and saffron could be a good starting point.
    Actual oud can be quite a challenge on its own, it may not please you at first, but it can become quite a delight once you're used to its pungent quality. So try blends with other notes first, I would say.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

After looking at your wardrobe I don't really think that oud is up your alley, but if you must perhaps M7 would be good starting point.

Noo, dOnt go off my wardrobe lol, my favorite scents are woody, oriental, gourmand. I just don't have any bc I started collecting in spring. I am definitely looking forward to fall/winter so I can start hauling in all these cool weather fragrances

I see lol. I still stand by my rec of M7. If you want real oud Mona Di Orio's is to die for but you may need to remortgage the house to pay for it.

I second Mona's Oud, it is amazing. I smelled Royal Oud first and fell in love with it before I smelled a real oud. Smelling Mona's didnt diminish my love for Royal Oud, it's not heavy on the Oud but it is still a great scent.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    + 1
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I am surprised that this gets so much hate. It's definitely not a strong "Oud", but it's something I enjoy nonetheless.

just sampled it finally. I get a nice deep woody note sprinkled with spices, couldnt tell you if im smelling oud or not. But its really nice

It is a good safe scent that is inoffensive and linear. I do not care for most oud fragrances. I usually find them too sharp or just
    too one dimensional. Creed Royal Oud definitely left me disappointed this is waayy over hyped and proves the theory that Creed could put any type of juice in one of its bottles and it will get love just because it is a Creed. It is a good fragrance, just not worth the price tag or the hype for that matter.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Epic Man
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Musc Ravageur
    7. Apple Brandy
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Aoud 1
    10.Tobacco Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    I am surprised that this gets so much hate. It's definitely not a strong "Oud", but it's something I enjoy nonetheless.
    I agree. I love this one. I own only 3 Creeds right now. GIT, Aventus, and Royal Oud. I would get MI and SMW, but longevity is too poor too justify.
    Tom Ford Private Blend Splits Costa Azzurra / Mandarino Di Amalfi / Oud Wood / Tobacco Vanille / Tobacco Oud / Neroli Portofino / Noir de Noir / Tuscan Leather / Plum Japonais/ Oud Fleur / Italian Cypress HERE

I will receive my royal Oud sample today, and this will be my first sniff of "Oud". I have no idea what Oud smells like and after what everyone says about it I'm extremely curious and excited to see what it's all about. I hear people say royal Oud doesn't have any Oud smell in it. As my first time smelling Oud will I be able to distinguish any Oud in royal Oud? Or will I have to wait for another sample of something else to get a feel of what Oud is?
    Basically this wont be your first sniff of oud because there isn't any in this fragrance.

If you go for other "oud" fragrances then you'll generally be smelling a synthetic representation of oud. It's interesting to smell these on their own terms, but they don't give you any appreciation of real oud. Rather, these will help you understand how western perfumers try to represent an oud like smell.

I disagree that MdO Oud will provide any real insight either. It's a wonderful fragrance, that does contain some real oud, but it's very far removed from the smell of oud oil. The oud is just one of many parts in this composition.

Getting to know the smell of real oud oil can only come from smelling it. It's a very worthwhile experience if you're able and willing to spend the money.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

There is (some kind of) oud in Royal Oud, the same way there is oud in Ormonde Man. It is just not a star player but a balancing ingredient which can be perceived albeit lightly. That said, Royal Oud is a quality spicy wood frag which, objectively, should not be compared with the Micallef and Montale ouds.

RO reminds me of L'Occitane's Eau des Baux, with less vanilla and made a tad bitter with oud.

IMO, the OP should make his own judgement from the sample, unbiased (if possible) from comments here.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Safe, not Oudy and a bit spicy with average projection and longevity. Nothing special and I would agree, one of the best from Creed. Look elsewhere for an oud scent.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

I just tried my sample and it is pleasant but during dry down I started smelling obsession. Maybe I'm crazy!

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I'll tell you this, smelling the oud in this may spoil your impression of real oud.
    This

I really like this fragrance. No I don't think it smells like oud. Yes I get a faint oud note in it! Am I the only one who smells something like real Indian oud in this? It isn't a strong note and not the centerpiece but I definitely smell it in there. Yes I have experience with pure oud oils from many different regions which I own. Every time I wear this fragrance I really enjoy it and I wonder if I am crazy as I seem to be the only one who smells oud in this.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Stop it AZ, don't make me go and buy this frag.

Well I love this scent as well AZ...and very much so. I have limited Oud experience ( M7, Dior Leather Oud, and this Creed) Royal Oud is the only one I like. I can see how the "Royal Oud" name could perturb the oud enthusiasts expecting something more obvious. I guess I have no real idea of what real oud smells like, I just felt this was such an incredible scent I could have cared less what the bottle said I think you should be loving this Fragnifiscent, enjoy.

I would love Creed Royal Oud if it had more longevity and sillage. It starts great on my skin and dies to a whisper within two hours. The top notes are fantastic though.

Quote Originally Posted by paradigm View Post
    Well I love this scent as well AZ...and very much so. I have limited Oud experience ( M7, Dior Leather Oud, and this Creed) Royal Oud is the only one I like. I can see how the "Royal Oud" name could perturb the oud enthusiasts expecting something more obvious. I guess I have no real idea of what real oud smells like, I just felt this was such an incredible scent I could have cared less what the bottle said I think you should be loving this Fragnifiscent, enjoy.
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears."

ACJIGGA'S FAVORITES - Xerjoff Nio, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Creed Millesime Imperial, Carolina Herrera Chic for Men, Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Yves Saint Laurent Opium Pour Homme EDP, Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa Oud & Slumberhouse Jeke extrait

I like, but don't love, this one, as it's almost the definition of a pleasant, but not great, fragrance. If this ever hits the discounters I may pick some up down the road, but as it stands I really can't justify the cost considering what this offers.

Even if you don't get real oud, still a great perfume imo.

A very nice smell. I'd buy it at 50% of retail.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

I do smell a faint hint of an Oud accord/note in Royal Oud. But, to get a better interpretation of some of the facets of pure Oud oil from western perfumery, try Bond no. 9 Harrods limited Oud, Montales Dark Oud, by Killian's Pure Oud and TF Oud Wood. Just remember that nothing will be as educational as smelling a few different pure Oud oils.

Thanks guys, i will probably sample montale oud next. Or is there another oud i should sample first to get the best impression of what oud is? (besides pure oud oil)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by PEARL View Post
    I do smell a faint hint of an Oud accord/note in Royal Oud. But, to get a better interpretation of some of the facets of pure Oud oil from western perfumery, try Bond no. 9 Harrods limited Oud, Montales Dark Oud, by Killian's Pure Oud and TF Oud Wood. Just remember that nothing will be as educational as smelling a few different pure Oud oils.
    Fragnifiscent, Pearl's suggestions for ouds here are all right on the money. My personal favorite is By Kilian Pure Oud. Montales Dark Oud is one you should definately try. It's so fresh and balsamy. There are many many other good fragrances which present ouds of different kinds and in different settings. Kurkdjian Oud is well worth trying. Amouage Epic is an older standard and very popular treatment of oud. Two new Xerjoffs, Zafar and Gao are both incredible experiences. Dior Leather Oud is another rightfully popular oud with a leather/civet vibe. If you like roses, and you can get hold of it, try Roja Dove Aoud. I recently got around to trying L'artisan Al Oudh, a sweet balsamically little oriental oud. Very impressive. As far as Royal Oud goes it would never be high on my list of really good oud fragrances, and yet it's not bad for what it is. There's so much to choose from these days. Good hunting.

Basenotes Plus

Oh, I forgot to put in a plug for another recent favorite of mine in my rant above that being Tom Ford Santal Blush. I don't think anyone myself included would ever think of it as an oud fragrance but agarwood is listed as an ingredient and you definately can smell it and I think it adds immeasurably to the character of this perfume. A good example of how oud can be used in a lesser, less featured role to great advantage. I really love Santal Blush. And I'm not a Tom Ford koolaid drinker by any means. Tchau.

the best thing about Royal Oud is the turkish delight topnote in the first 30 seconds. After that it is pleasant for a couple of hours, then it's gone...

Quote Originally Posted by acjigga View Post
    I would love Creed Royal Oud if it had more longevity and sillage. It starts great on my skin and dies to a whisper within two hours. The top notes are fantastic though.
    Sorry to here about your longevity issue. I wore RO today. I used one spray to the chest and had about 6 good hours with it. I must say it was very nice weather and quite warm though. When out and about I usually do 3 total sprays and experience it all day.

Why So Serious?

Quote Originally Posted by kimo View Post
    Even if you don't get real oud, still a great perfume imo.
    Yes, Oud or not, this is a great fragrance! Just take the name with a grain of salt.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Quote Originally Posted by HackerX View Post
    Yes, Oud or not, this is a great fragrance! Just take the name with a grain of salt.
    Why? Does the salt accentuate the oud notes? Snorting salt sounds painful!

this comes off "powdery" on my skin. i apologize for my lack of expertise in perfume vocabulary to describe it better.

I like Royal Oud a great deal. It smells amazing and I do detect a well integrated oud note in it. Sure, it's not exploding with funky barnyard oud, but it's a classy refined smell with a magnetic, seductive quality.

I happened to wear Royal Oud on one of the happiest days of my life (so far) -- and everytime I wear it, it reminds me of that wonderful day.

Count me in as a huge fan of Royal Oud.

Quote Originally Posted by Indie_Guy View Post
    I like Royal Oud a great deal. It smells amazing and I do detect a well integrated oud note in it. Sure, it's not exploding with funky barnyard oud, but it's a classy refined smell with a magnetic, seductive quality.

I happened to wear Royal Oud on one of the happiest days of my life (so far) -- and everytime I wear it, it reminds me of that wonderful day.

Count me in as a huge fan of Royal Oud.

I don't think I understand the allure of the barnyard vibe. I really dislike the Dior leather oud. it just reminded me of stale urine. Royal oud, is a sparkling beauty.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by digger51 View Post
    I would say the same.