Code of Conduct

Default New Haarlem Bond No.9 Blind Buy?

Guys i am going to pull the trigger on it!
    What to expect? i heard its a dangerous scent to be blind buying.
    I do hope its not cloying and disgusting
    as Terre D'Hermes,Body Kouros or Bvlgari Black (my top 3 hated scents)

Your views are so welcomed!

Default Re: New Haarlem Bond No.9 Blind Buy?

Hope you enjoy it. Many here on Basenotes do. I personally don't care for it.

My SOTD and I blind bought it too with no regrets. It's expensive, so you should sample it first, since it's a lot sweeter and denser than the three that you listed and hate. Imagine the smell of a Starbucks Caramel Latte, how does that sound to you?

It's not for everyone. Not a safe blind buy at all. Good luck.

Absolutely love coffee - the local bond store, does not carry New Haarlem - they tried to push Chez Bond to me which i wasn't interested in - need to buy this online, as long as its sweet-spicy (Jaipur,Rocabar) i will have no complains..it will end up in the dumpster if its sweet-ambery..(Bulgari Black,A*Men,Body Kouros)

I think it depends...if you like sweet scents, especially those with a coffee, syrupy vibe, then I think that you'll be ok. Personally, it is one of my favorite fragrances. It's the best gourmand that I have found. I don't get a ton of coffee from it, I mean, it's there alright, but to me it is much more of a syrup smell, and that's what I love about it. In my experience, it can get cloying if I spray it to directly on my neck, but if I spray it arms length from myself and then walk a little into it, it's perfect. When I get a heavy dose on my skin it gets a sort of burnt dry down smell-even though it's not a strong burnt smell, it's just enough to become cloying to me. But, if I spray it on myself like a said, it's amazing. And on me it has fantastic longevity, I would say about 12-14 hours. I hope that helps. Oh yeah, and 1 spray is plenty for me to last all day.

Thank you kybid - shall pull the trigger.

Blind buy??? an expensive fragrance as such New Haarlem, ok, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by benzganesh View Post
    Absolutely love coffee - the local bond store, does not carry New Haarlem - they tried to push Chez Bond to me which i wasn't interested in - need to buy this online, as long as its sweet-spicy (Jaipur,Rocabar) i will have no complains..it will end up in the dumpster if its sweet-ambery..(Bulgari Black,A*Men,Body Kouros)
    Yup, they don't stock it in KLCC or Pavilion for some strange reason. Your best bet though to buy it on-line is www.strawberrynet.com, but I strongly advise you against blind buying it, it's very smooth and non spicy. The tonka bean/vanilla/amber facets make it more akin to the "ambery-sweet" side of the fence which you're trying to avoid, especially with the main stage maple syrup/caramel accord added to the equation.
    Last edited by Duke Hunt; 7th June 2012 at 03:56 PM.

If you think you'll like it judging by the notes and countless threads on it, you'll be fine. It's pretty easy to like.

No!!! Not a safe blind buy.

Try Rochas Man first. If you like Rochas then you will like New Haarlem. I enjoy Rochas Man a lot.

They smell pretty much identical. Rochas Man can be had for 6 times cheaper tho. So that's what I would go with.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    It's not for everyone. Not a safe blind buy at all. Good luck.
    Agree. This would not be a fragrance I would blind buy.

ill do this - ill buy coney island from the bond store, and have a sample of new haarlem shipped together with it ( at least i hope they do have sample stock) - Duke Hunt didn't know you are familiar with Malaysian scene , what a welcomed surprise!

Not a safe blind buy - and I don't think it smells like coffee.

That said I'm a big fan of New Haarlem. But who knows if you will be. Easy trade or sell if you hate it, at least!

I personally love the scent, it's was my favorite gourmand. Note I said was. It smells like caramel mixed with coffee, exactly like a caramel latte. However the reality is it smells very, very similar to Rochas Man. Better, but not six times the price better.

If it was normal price, I'd say it would be a very safe blind buy because I've never run into anyone that didn't like it and it would be easy to trade. However for the price tag it isn't safe at all.

I will never understand the people who say Rochas Man smells exactly like New Haarlem.

This fragrance is like having thick maple syrup poured onto your skin with sprinkles of coffee on top. It's very sweet and can be cloying if over applied. I much prefer Rochas Man as it is lighter without the thick syrupy feel to it.

As has been said, very risky blind buy. Personally I love it though. I didn't blind buy, btw!

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    I will never understand the people who say Rochas Man smells exactly like New Haarlem.
    Man do I agree!!! I really don't like Rochas Man, but I love New Haarlem. There are a couple of notes in Rochas Man that are very off-putting to me. I can understand that people get a similar vibe between the two, but New Haarlem is worlds better than Rochas Man. I guess people that think it smells exactly alike like those notes that are very off-putting to me. It's like Celery, I hate the stuff, and whenever it's in something I taste it's nasty taste and it ruins the whole thing, yet people that like celery say you can't even taste it in things. Well, there's some "celery" in Rochas Man that kills the whole thing for me! New Haarlem not only doesn't have the "celery" but it has some high quality, super delicious ingredients added in. Sorry about the analogy, it's the only way I know how to explain it.

Dont blind buy this.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

DO NOT buy blind!
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Why, why blind buy? There are so many places to get samples--
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

I like it, pancakes covered in maple syrup. Good Luck!

Basenotes Member

NO

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by cosmopolit View Post
    Why, why blind buy? There are so many places to get samples--
    where you can buy a sample of HAARLEM NEW? because I do not find any online site that sells it, but it only sends LUCKYSCENT SPAIN.

same problem here - its USD 8.00 over ebay to get it sent to my friend's address in new york - even if i sample it, i might forget it next year (when its time for some american imports) once again - looks like i have to stick to coney island for now.

yeah, Bond No 9 is a pain in the ass house to sample from, because TPC or LuckyScent don't carry their stuff... So with ebay, it's just annoying, and those little bastard-wrapped samples are kinda pricey. If you're deal-hunting, and can find NH around $100-110, paying $10+ to sample it with shipping is a large ass-cramp.

I like it, not loving it. I get a lot of lavander in it. Not a safe blind buy

I love this scent, but don't blind buy it. I have a very small decant that has lasted for over a year. It's great, but I couldn't imagine wearing this one enough to go through an entire bottle.

If you can't get a sample of it, you would be better served focusing your attention on houses that you can sample. There are so many good scents out there that it really isn't worth getting hung up on one particular bottle, especially when it's so costly.

Quote Originally Posted by benzganesh View Post
    ill do this - ill buy coney island from the bond store, and have a sample of new haarlem shipped together with it ( at least i hope they do have sample stock) - Duke Hunt didn't know you are familiar with Malaysian scene , what a welcomed surprise!
    I'm guessing you've tried and liked Coney Island? I got a sample of New Haarlem half a year ago, and was SO RELIEVED that I sampled before I bought. I thought it was too sweet for me (even though I adore gourmands) and used the whole sample that week to try to convert my senses to liking it. Didn't work, so I didn't buy it.

What's WEIRD though is that after trying and buying other fragrances, I took a small trip to New Orleans and stopped in a Saks store. I put on some New Haarlem from the counter, walked around with it for about two hours, and I couldn't stop bringing my wrist to my face.

I now own a bottle of New Haarlem, and couldn't be happier. It's that good.

One of my favorites.

Jeff

Yes i have, superb scent except for the rotten egg like opening but its a bit animalic in that way..kinda rocks..oozes quality..its also sweet but sweet-fresh, i really like new haarlem on paper, i just don't want to blow my cash like i did with Boucheron Homme (not Jaipur which i love - which was also a blind buy which has become my signature scent)..

It gets a lot of love here, and really does smell edible, but it's definitely not for everyone. I bought a 50ml bottle for the gf (this is her favorite fragrance), and I can't bring myself to tell her I can't stand it after about half an hour. It's just maple syrup and more male syrup on top of a Cinnabon. I worked at a Perkins (US breakfast-based restaurant chain) for a couple years in college, and if I never smell another pancake or waffle again, it would be too soon. I imagine that to most people, this is a pleasant scent, but even without my PTSD, I couldn't bear to walk around smelling like a pastry all day. Rochas is kind of similar (Roucel did both), but (to me), the Rochas is far less dense and cloying. Don't blind buy.

If you like coffee, maple syrup, and sweet fragrances, then go for it. I really enjoy New Haarlem. If you end up not liking it, you could make a good a portion of your money back if you sell it.

Please don't blind buy, especially not for the hot weather there. When I went back to KL few months ago I decide to bring my sample back to test; it was way too sweet for the humid weather. If you think TdH is bad, this might be your worst nightmare. Or not. Try it first, will be the advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinca View Post
    where you can buy a sample of HAARLEM NEW? because I do not find any online site that sells it, but it only sends LUCKYSCENT SPAIN.
    Call Bond no.9 directly 6 samples for $15.

I would definitely avoid blind buying this one... There are many other safer gourmands to blind buy, and for much less $
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Do not blind buy this frag, it's a gourmand bomb, and VERY unisex...Try a cheaper experiment, get Michael Jordan Legend, if you love that, then buy this blind.

Don't blind buy this one! If you didn't like Bulgari Black , Body Kouros, or Ermes then it might be a rough one to wrap your nose around. My experience was straight syrup with a little bit of green. I didnt get coffee or anything like that when I wore it even after the dry down. It's a heck of a scent but definitely not safe to blind buy.

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisdeSod View Post
    Do not blind buy this frag...Try a cheaper experiment, get Michael Jordan Legend, if you love that, then buy this blind.
    this
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

But I think that your page does not sell online samples to Europe. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by frostyicy View Post
    Call Bond no.9 directly 6 samples for $15.

But I think that your page does not sell online samples to Europe. Thank you.

Basenotes Member

As many have already said... DO NOT blind buy. I'm still testing out New Haarlem to see if I like it enough to warrant buying a full bottle. Currently, it just smells like thick maple syrup and more maple syrup. There's some coffee there in the background too but I mainly get maple syrup. Not sure yet if it's worth the niche price to me and if it will start to annoy me or get cloying. I'm still testing it out and I suggest you do the same!

Banned

I'd get Givenchy Play Intense if I were you, it's more versatile and better.

alright guys, i've corked up the idea of new haarlem for now - going to go for coney island and order samples for NH..

Benz, don't worry about ordering samples. I'll mail one over to you from my bottle. PM me.

Jeff