Code of Conduct

Default Best smoky Leather fragrances

I recently came across Tuscan Leather and I really enjoy it, specifically in the top notes where the leather seems more fresh and prominent and you get that hint of smoke. I'm not too crazy about the raspberry note, but the scent overall is great in my opinion and perhaps my favorite from the Private Blend collection.

in TL, I tend to get flashes of sitting a car with Leather seats mixed with left over cigarette smoke. There is nothing wrong with that, as I personally find that smell very appealing. Not active lit cigarettes and smoke in your face but the residual smell of lets say someone who had been smoking in the car mixed with the smell from leather.

So I wanted to know what are the top 3 smokey leather scents out there? Perhaps in the same family of Tuscan Leather.

Some scents I have seen mentioned, but I have never tried, are :
    Oud Cuir D'Arabie , Dior Leather Oud, Cuir - Les Nombres d’Or...

I am looking to test new stuff out so recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks.
    Last edited by Bachatu Man; 31st May 2012 at 11:54 PM.

Default Re: Best smokey Leather fragrances

You may want to try:

Charles Street
    Bandit
    Xerjoff Homme
    Knize Ten
    1740 Marquis de Sade
    Cumming by Alan Cumming
    Lonestar memories
    Leather Oud
    Patchouli 24
    Last edited by Duke Hunt; 31st May 2012 at 04:38 PM.

I own Tuscan Leather and love it (but not too often or it can lose it's unique appeal to me). Definitely, Charles Street is a valid alternative. I think they are similar, but Charles Street has it's own uniqueness that makes it very different. Same genre, but totally different. Something crazy similar to Tuscan Leather is Blood Concept O. Want something cheap? Try John Varvatos, I own that too.

Some of the other "leather" scents out there are no where close to what leather smells like here in the US to me. Maybe other countries have the leather that smells funky like what Knize Ten or similar scents tend to use, but that's not enjoyable to me. I have tried TONS and TONS of leather, cuir, whatever scents. None of them have been the holy grail, but I did purchase a full bottle of TL, so apparently that's my leather holy grail as of now. Xerjoff Homme is unique, but again not my thing. Puredistance M was barely even interesting to me, and Duro is flat out stinky. Of course, I've tried all the typical leathers that Luckyscent and Aedes have to offer, but I'm still looking.

Cuir - Les Nombres d’Or......... this thing is strange. You said you want smoky, well this fits that bill. Not much leather in it, but lots of smoke. The problem (or good part) is that this smoke is the smell from a house fire. I have had to witness my own house, my in-laws and my parents houses, all after fires. The smell of a burnt house, wet from the fire department putting out the flames (or rain in my dad's case) and then you have a specific wet smoke smell that this thing hits dead on. I laugh almost every time I smell my samples of this...... I kind of like it...... but could never see anyone wearing this. I actually use it to spritz on the potpourri by our gas fireplace. One tiny spritz adds just enough to make things interesting. Am I crazy? Maybe But if someone wears this and thinks they smell attractive.... then they are crazy. haha

I have tried John Varvatos , Varvatos vintage. Although I like the leather aspect of those fragrance some other parts of the fragrance I don't like, there isnt enough leather in it for me...I personally would like something that is as high quality as Tuscan Leather, it doesn't have to necessarily smell the same but I suppose have the same concept, smoky leather goods. I've already acquired TL and the fragrance is top quality from top to bottom. Its kind of left me wanting some more, I'd wish the top notes lasted a bit longer.

Then definitely give Charles Street a try! It's like Tuscan Leather in an old British library maybe?

I would be a little wary of Charles Street if you are not keen on raspberry. As the scent is a lot like TL but with the raspberry dialled up and the leather dialled down.

On your comments of Cuir - Les Nombres d’Or - Yeah, although I can appreciate some smokey fragrances that can emulate burnt wood or something to that affect, I'm not sure I would want to smell like something completely burnt or something that completely overpowers other notes. Thats part of the appeal in Tuscan Leather in my opinion. Its blended so well. Sure its somewhat basic but its just lovely. I am looking for that holy grail leather scent. Right now Tuscan leather holds that spot, but TBH I havent been exposed to that many scents that are has leather as the primary note. But I do tend to generally like scents that have leather in them (fahrenheit , dior homme, varvatos vintage, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by pcrisp View Post
    I own Tuscan Leather and love it (but not too often or it can lose it's unique appeal to me). Definitely, Charles Street is a valid alternative. I think they are similar, but Charles Street has it's own uniqueness that makes it very different. Same genre, but totally different. Something crazy similar to Tuscan Leather is Blood Concept O. Want something cheap? Try John Varvatos, I own that too.

Some of the other "leather" scents out there are no where close to what leather smells like here in the US to me. Maybe other countries have the leather that smells funky like what Knize Ten or similar scents tend to use, but that's not enjoyable to me. I have tried TONS and TONS of leather, cuir, whatever scents. None of them have been the holy grail, but I did purchase a full bottle of TL, so apparently that's my leather holy grail as of now. Xerjoff Homme is unique, but again not my thing. Puredistance M was barely even interesting to me, and Duro is flat out stinky. Of course, I've tried all the typical leathers that Luckyscent and Aedes have to offer, but I'm still looking.

Cuir - Les Nombres d’Or......... this thing is strange. You said you want smoky, well this fits that bill. Not much leather in it, but lots of smoke. The problem (or good part) is that this smoke is the smell from a house fire. I have had to witness my own house, my in-laws and my parents houses, all after fires. The smell of a burnt house, wet from the fire department putting out the flames (or rain in my dad's case) and then you have a specific wet smoke smell that this thing hits dead on. I laugh almost every time I smell my samples of this...... I kind of like it...... but could never see anyone wearing this. I actually use it to spritz on the potpourri by our gas fireplace. One tiny spritz adds just enough to make things interesting. Am I crazy? Maybe But if someone wears this and thinks they smell attractive.... then they are crazy. haha

Thanks for letting me know. yeah, my least favorite part of TL is the raspberry note...it reminds me of Versace Man a little when I smell that Raspberry mixed with incense. Not bad but just gives it a feminine touch. Either way I may give it a whiff just to see what I get out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I would be a little wary of Charles Street if you are not keen on raspberry. As the scent is a lot like TL but with the raspberry dialled up and the leather dialled down.

For smoky leather, I'd go with Lonestar Memories, Mona di Orio Cuir, or Vierges et Toreros.

The reference masculine leather to me is Knize Ten. Rich, complex, assertive. It does have a fruity note, though, but not raspberry, more cherry and apricot. Leather Oud has no fruit, and might thus be preferable to you.

Incidentally, I also have the body cream for Knize Ten, and it smells closer to Tuscan leather, but without the fruit, just the smooth leather.

I love Lonestar Memories, but the effect to my nose is more "fire at chemical plant" rather than leather.

cacio

smokey leather:
    Leather Oud, Rien, Kolnich Juchten, Bandit, Xerjoff Homme

I like Leather Oud, but I don't think the leather will wow you like it does in TL. I know exactly what you're saying though. I've tried a ton of leather frags, and none of them get me the same way TL does. It just smells so authentic to my nose.
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

The one, the only Creed Cuir De Russie.

Bulgari - Black
    Tauer – L'air du Desert Marocain

Leather centered fragrances are probably among my biggest passions. Three of my most worn/preferred smoky leathers are...

Knize Ten
    Bandit
    Leather Oud

Other smoky leathers that are worth mentioning...

Patchouli 24
    Lonestar Memories
    Cumming
    Xerjoff Homme
    Charles Street
    Nostalgia
    Mona Di Orio's Cuir
    Cuir Ottoman

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I´ve not tried too many smoky leather fragrances, but from the few I´ve tried the most I like are Lonestar Memories, Cuir Ottoman and Leather Oud. Honorable mention for Knize Ten.
    - A lot of people thinks that they live when the only thing they do is simply exist.

Oud Cuir D'Arabie and Dior Leather Oud as the OP considers, IMO are worth checking out.

Another vote for Knize Ten

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    smokey leather:
    Leather Oud, Rien, Kolnich Juchten, Bandit, Xerjoff Homme
    Kolnich Juchten ABSOLUTELY.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    The reference masculine leather to me is Knize Ten. Rich, complex, assertive. It does have a fruity note, though, but not raspberry, more cherry and apricot. Leather Oud has no fruit, and might thus be preferable to you.
    I love Lonestar Memories, but the effect to my nose is more "fire at chemical plant" rather than leather.

cacio
    I agree with cacio, although I find Lonestar incredibly sweet in the drydown so the smoke is overwhelmed with "fire at a maple syrup plant." I don't link it with a leather, primarily. Knize Ten is the way to go.

Maybe you should also give Or Black and Arso a try.

Sound Scents

I am not a fan of smokey leather scents, but like you have heard from others, Mona di Orio's Cuir definitely is smokey/ash-like.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Default Re: Best smoky Leather fragrances

Dark, smokey leather pretty much describes Black Tourmaline EDP from Olivier Durbano.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Clive Christian C is similar to Tuscan Leather. If I didn't already have and luv TL, I'd certainly consider CCC.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates

Tuscan Leather by Tom Ford
    C by Clive Christian
    Cuir by Mona di Orio

To my nose there is nothing smokey in Knize Ten:...maybe Bel Ami...?

Le labo Patchouli 24 is quite possibly the smokiest scent I've ever sampled.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    Dark, smokey leather pretty much describes Black Tourmaline EDP from Olivier Durbano.
    This is interesting because I absolutely did not get leather at all from this. I thought that I remember this smelling more like black licorice. It was an instant scrubber for me, so maybe I'll pull the sample back out and try it again. I just remember that I hated it a lot before.

Knize Ten smokey?

If you want it bold, smokey, old school and ubermasculine, longlasting and good sillage go for Francesco Smalto pour homme!
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Le labo Patchouli 24 is quite possibly the smokiest scent I've ever sampled.
    This is the fragrance that finally fulfilled the smoke scent I had pictured in my head the first time I read about it as a note.

Quote Originally Posted by pcrisp View Post
    This is interesting because I absolutely did not get leather at all from this. I thought that I remember this smelling more like black licorice. It was an instant scrubber for me, so maybe I'll pull the sample back out and try it again. I just remember that I hated it a lot before.
    It's not a leather note that stands at the forefront and knocks one over the head. The scent always reminded me of what Polo Black should have smelled like - there's many, many similar notes to the original version of Polo and that's what it reminds me of most - a yuppy being burned at the stake. Oh wait a minute, I didn't meant to say that (but I bet the visuals got you!)
    The Bark Bites Back.

Banned

Do try:

Lonestar Memories by Tauer - Upon application, one is barraged with a dry and raw leather as well as smoke wafting from a campfire. Outlying creosote imparts its smoked meat dimension. Woody and earthy, carrot seed accompanied by minty clary sage maneuver to the fore and impart their sweetness. This smoldering opening persists for a spell before rambling to the awaiting middle. Here, in the heart, dry cedarwood oozes its petrol dimension while a tinge of disinfectant from the birchtar of the volcanic opening presents. A pine-like, terpenic cistus awakens and infuses the mishmash with its warm, leathery scent tinged with lively pepper and heavy tar. A ravishing jasmine tempers the tumultuous melange with its sweet, floral highlight, and steers the esoteric blend to the waiting base. Captivating sandalwood with its singular, bright and fresh woodiness, mysterious myrrh with its burning rubber, soft tonka bean with its vanillic, pipe tobacco, and earthy vetiver with its dank grass and dirt, all commingle and yield an alluring, if not beguiling, mixture, which is carried to the mollified drydown. This evocative, one-of-a-kind composition has good projection and very good longevity.

&

Black Tourmaline by Olivier Durbano - Upon application, one experiences a wonderfully smoky, leather accord and a burst of lively pepper, with its smooth, almost woody presence. A wondrous, campfire smell majestically ebbs and flows as well. This captivating opening meanders to the awating middle. Transitioning to the heart, heaps of heavenly sweet and orangey frankincense as well as medicinal and musty oud crest the potent, smoky wave, and are joined with a herbal pas de trois of fresh and slightly bitter cardamom, nutty and spicy coriander as well as a smattering of dirty and sweaty cumin. A halo of flavorful and dry woods caps the remarkable melange, and wends to the waiting base. An alluring blend of warm and fur-like musk, velvety and slightly sweet amber, bitter and foresty moss as well as a hint of dark and earthy patchouli, highlights the robust base and leads to an evocative drydown. This superbly mysterious and intense composition has average projection and longevity.

I don't really find Tuscan Leather to be smoky at all. If anything, it smells fresh and plastic-like. These fragrances all bear a great deal of similarity to Tom Ford's Tuscan Leather:

O by Blood Concept
    Aoud Leather by Montale
    C Men by Clive Christian

And the following fragrances are what I would consider smoky leathers:

Lonestar Memories by Tauer Fragrances
    Patchouli 24 by Le Labo
    Les Nombres d'Or: Cuir by Mona di Orio

and to a lesser extent...

Black by Bulgari
    Series 1: Leaves - Tea by Comme des Garcons

Me personally when I think leather and smoke, Avenuts by Creed comes to mind...anyone else get the leather vibe along with the smokey woody pineapple?

To some on these boards, what I am about to recommend is as repulsive as kicking puppies:

1. Spend $6 on a 6 oz splash EdC of Pinaud Special Reserve - a rich leather adeptly described by some on these boards as oiled baseball glove leather;

2. Spend $15 on a 3.4 EDT of Jacomo de Jacomo - an 80s cheapie that to me smells like campfire smoke

3. Apply these two frags in equal parts

4. Delight in smelling like a smoky leather manly man of a man

Grungevig

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I am not a fan of smokey leather scents, but like you have heard from others, Mona di Orio's Cuir definitely is smokey/ash-like.
    My wifes favorite leather on her.

Leather Oud
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    Knize Ten smokey?

If you want it bold, smokey, old school and ubermasculine, longlasting and good sillage go for Francesco Smalto pour homme!
    Good call, Slayerized, on Francesco Smalto. Fracas pour Homme is similar. And yes, there is a rectified birch tar component to Knize Ten that gives it a smoky quality, although it is milder there in many other leathers. But it is there.

Another vote for Francesco Smalto. This stuff is great. Easy to find and inexpensive too.
    Current top 10:

1. L'Artisan Dzing!
    2. Lorenzo Villoresi Yerbamate
    3. Guerlain Bois d'Armenie
    4. L'Artisan Al Oudh
    5. Bond No. 9 Andy Warhol Silver Factory
    6. Parfumerie Generale Bois Blond
    7. Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain
    8. Guerlain Derby
    9. Geo F Trumper Eucris
    10. Parfum d'Empire Ambre Russe

For smoky leather, I would say Shalimar. Citrus and vanilla with smoky leather, esp. in the EDP.

I am surprised no one has ventured to say Cuir de Lancome, which is sold as a women's scent.

A fabulous smoky leather with florals. Unisex and the best bargain going.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26129412.html
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Yes I get a slight leather/vinyl/rubber vibe from Aventus. Sort of like a texture note on the top/heart, not as a main player. unfortunately I find the dry down some what boring and generic.
    Quote Originally Posted by yteek View Post
    Me personally when I think leather and smoke, Avenuts by Creed comes to mind...anyone else get the leather vibe along with the smokey woody pineapple?

My most favorite are:

Lone Star Memories
    Aoud Cuir d'Arabie
    Cuir de Lancome Layered with pure Agar Oil

I don't get leather in Aventus but it can have that ashtray-like smoky aspect.

TF for Men Extreme
    Cuir Ottoman
    Cuir d'Iris
    Bvlgari Black

It is funny to read this FullCollapse. Since it is a bit linear I do exactly the same thing with Cuir de Lancome; I layer it with Dehnal Oudh Shuyookhi by Al Haramain or something woody and dry like Gucci PH !QUOTE=FullCollapse;2581999]My most favorite are:

Lone Star Memories
    Aoud Cuir d'Arabie
    Cuir de Lancome Layered with pure Agar Oil[/QUOTE]

Definitely not Knize Ten. Wonderful old boot leather. No smoke.
    Definitely not Cuir de Russie. Soft expensive glove leather. No smoke.

Patchouli 24 is on the right track. I probably agree with the comment that is the smokiest fragrance I've ever smelt.

Really surprised no one mentioned Rien ELDO.. Leather and burning incense

I don´t see the smoky side of many of previously mentioned.