Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Byredo line anyone using it?

Anyone here using Byredo here? I smelled few of them yesterday and got samples. Do you guys think this line is worth buying? Thanks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Byredo line anyone using it?

My husband wears Pulp, which is linear but has amazing sillage and longevity-- so although it is expensive, at least one gets a lot of use from a bottle.
    He liked Chembur as well but found it comsiderably lighter and with less sillage.

Yep, they are awesome.

I have Oud Immortel which is one of my favourite scents. It is a sweet lemon liquor scent mixed with darker woods and oud.

I am also a fan of Baudelaire which is like Harrods For Him, only executed better.

Pulp is also amazing, but the sweetness of the fruits may be too much.

Longevity and projection on these three are fantastic.

I enjoy Oud Immortel.
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

found a few nice, but not enough for a purchase unfortunately.

Strange I was just coming on here to see how people rated Byredo! The two I'm looking at are Pulp (the 'rotten fruit' accord that people seem to always mention puts me off it somewhat) and Oud Imortelle. I like the idea of limoncello and our together. Do those of you that own these rate them highly?

I response to the OP, it's a house I want to get into as you don't hear too much about them.

My favorites from Byredo, which I occasionally wear are:

M/Mink - animalic, feral patchouli.
    Sunday Cologne - traditional citrus, grasses, floral wood base.
    Oud Immortel - immortal woods, deep and mysterious
    Mister Marvelous - synthetic refreshment

Sur la Plage

I like M/Mink.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fraghead View Post
    ...The two I'm looking at are Pulp (the 'rotten fruit' accord that people seem to always mention puts me off it somewhat) and Oud Imortelle. I like the idea of limoncello and our together. Do those of you that own these rate them highly?...
    Pulp is fruity for sure, but rotten? Not a bit of it. It's luscious. If it were a bowl of fruit in front of me, I'd eat it. My husband loves it, and the only thing I'll say against it is that when he wears it, it drowns out anything I have on.

Pulp can be fun, but as others have said - look out this will knock people down as you pass them. The rest of the line is overpriced mediocrity.

Gypsy Water is another goodies as well as Pulp and Im itching to try that Bullion one

M-Mink and Gypsy Water are good. They're a quality outfit generally speaking, they make some nice perfumes, a little pricey but good nonetheless...

One of my co-workers uses Pulp and apparently likes it. personally tried many in their line but none appealed to me.

I have and enjoy both M/Mink, Pulp and Gypsy Water. The prices are very high to me, so I have bought 10ml decants of the three.
    Re: Avatar-So are they whats known as subwoofers?

I liked Pulp when I smelled it in the shop, but so far haven't found one that I've liked enough even to think about buying. For some reason I can't smell Gypsy Water at all. Tried it twice and nothing. But I would like to go back and try M/Mink again.

No...
    Byredo would like to be something similar to Malle. A pity they are far away.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

I have M/Mink and Fantastic Man/Sunday Cologne, and I really like them both. On the other hand, those two are the only ones from the line I found anywhere near FBW...

I've tried Green and Fantastic Man. I preferred the latter of the two, but not enough to warrant a bottle. I haven't had a chance to try more of the line.

Strange I was just coming on here to see how people rated Byredo! The two I'm looking at are Pulp (the 'rotten fruit' accord that people seem to always mention puts me off it somewhat) and Oud Imortelle. I like the idea of limoncello and our together. Do those of you that own these rate them highly?

I response to the OP, it's a house I want to get into as you don't hear too much about them.
    You're always going to get differences of opinion over fragrances (I think "Pulp" is fantastic and I never get "rotten" fruit at all). Whilst it's commendable doing research, you're still going to have to make up your own mind. Byredo certainly are on the pricey side, so you'd be best to sample first.

If you live in or near London, I think Libertys stock the range, otherwise you can buy samples from www.ausliebezumduft. (A first rate German firm with an excellent range and brilliant service).

Quote Originally Posted by HDD8 View Post
    You're always going to get differences of opinion over fragrances (I think "Pulp" is fantastic and I never get "rotten" fruit at all). Whilst it's commendable doing research, you're still going to have to make up your own mind. Byredo certainly are on the pricey side, so you'd be best to sample first.

If you live in or near London, I think Libertys stock the range, otherwise you can buy samples from www.ausliebezumduft. (A first rate German firm with an excellent range and brilliant service).
    I use First in Fragrance (ausliebezumduft) all the time; their products always reach me in a couple of days, which is impressive to say the least. I've gone blind on Pulp and Oud Inortelle this evening; I figured if I don't like them (which I think is unlikely) I can always sell or swap! Compared to some other houses, they're pretty affordable, considering the volume of juice.

I use First in Fragrance (ausliebezumduft) all the time; their products always reach me in a couple of days, which is impressive to say the least. I've gone blind on Pulp and Oud Inortelle this evening; I figured if I don't like them (which I think is unlikely) I can always sell or swap! Compared to some other houses, they're pretty affordable, considering the volume of juice.
    I can't comment on Oud Immortelle, but Pulp I really like!! Good Luck!!

My faves are chembur and pulp both unique and worth it

My favorites from the line are Baudelaire, La Tulipe, and Palermo.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

I love Byredo! I only have Pulp, Bal D'Afrique, and Oud Immortel.

Pulp and M/Mink are love-it-or-hate-it fragrances. Some compare Pulp to rotten fruit. To me, it's syrupy sweet. A little goes a long way with this one--believe me, I've learned my lesson. M/Mink is risque and that's what attracts me to it. Its story intrigues me too.

I really want Rose Noir (which some say there's nothing "Noir" about it), Seven Veils (a unique gourmand with carrot/orchid), M/Mink, and Palermo (citrus/floral/musk--perfect for the coming Summer!)

Other than that.... Baudelaire (incense/leather), Chembur (incense), and Sunday Cologne/Fantastic Man (think Terre D'Hermes or Montale's Red Vetiver) are worth a sniff!

The rest I have yet to sample.

Hmmm, I really liked Accord Oud and Gypsy Water. They're probably a little overpriced but I would consider these two.

and also Baudelaire was very interesting IMO.

The rest were a mixed bag, some good, some not so good but overall it's a line worth sniffing anyway.

BTW, if anyone's in Canada and wants samples, PM me. They'll be free.
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 7th June 2012 at 07:29 PM.
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Some nice fragrances some ok and a couple not so good.

Test as many as you can of course.

I enjoy:

Bal d'Afrique
    Baudelaire
    Chembur
    Gypsy Water
    M/Mink
    Pulp

Still testing the ouds and Rose Noir.

a fan of Bal d´Afrique here : a creamy and semi-spicy floral really nice.

Oud Immortel for me is one of the most awful smells I have ever tried.

I was given some samples from the Byredo line yesterday while purchasing a some fragrances, inclduding; Green, Gypsy Water, Rose Noir, Sunday Cologne and Encens Chembur.

Took a sniff of them all on paper and the only two which I found appealing to my tastes were; Gypsy Water and Sunday Cologne.
    Gypsy water is def unisex, but very subtle and pleasing to me, while Sunday Cologne is inoffensive, but more generic to my nose.
    If I had to choose from the samples I have, it would def be Gypsy Water, but I'd have to spray it on my skin for a full day or two before making any judgement.

Mine arrived a few weeks ago; in the end, I backed out and went for a sample of Oud Imortelle and a FB of Pulp. Glad I did this as I don't like the OI after the opening. Pulp is reasonable. Very good sillage and longevity but very fig-based; I like fig, but was hoping for something more from this.

Basenotes Plus

I loved Bal D'Afrique and Pulp on my skin. Haven't purchased either and probably won't, I am too cheap
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Gypsy Water is pleasant - but extremely plain for the price, it hardly has a personality
    I wanted to love Pulp but it reminded me of the hugely synthetic chemical fruit blast of Multiple Rouge by Humiecki and Graef - only I enjoy the hideous wet-dog drydown of MR more so than the fruity musk in Pulp.
    I also wanted to like M/Mink but found it grim Having tried a few others not worth mentioning, I don't think the line is worth my time.

Only your nose can say it. Personally I liked Chembur but not enough to get a bottle and found M/Mink quite interesting for its challenging power. I can't say I like it but it's surely one of the most daring fragrances in years...The rest of their offering is, more or less, nice but not extraordinary.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

On the whole I'm quite underwhelmed with the line, but there are a few good ones. I really like Chembur. Very wearable for a incense frag.

Really enjoying Pulp right now, it's the fruity fragrance I always wanted.

Dependent

Fantastic Man/Sunday Cologne is pleasant and very similar to TdH but more natural and deeper. (Still a bit tame for my taste though.)

If you like a fragrance it's worth having.
    There's some good fragrances in the Byredo line so it is worth exploring.
    Do your best to get official spray samples so you can test the fragrances properly. Many have unusual notes that are more noticeable on the skin or with a proper wearing.
    Not all of Byredo's fragrances are great so don't be put off by not liking only one or two (although I suppose this is reasonable advice when testing any line).

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    Really enjoying Pulp right now, it's the fruity fragrance I always wanted.
    I quite liked Pulp when I tried it. An explosion of ripe fruit, I instinctively wanted to wash sticky juice from my hands.

I really like the Byredo bottles with magnetic caps. I think I'm just a sucker for magnets.

Also, I'm enjoying Sunday Cologne/Fantastic man. Seems like a more natural TdH with less minerals, more vetiver and citrus. Now I like the minerals in TdH, but this is a nice variant. Smells very natural to me.

I really enjoy Pulp. Head-banging rotting very ripe fruity hell. Nothing quite like it out there.

I feel that almost all of the entire line's scents has a sharp chemical/synthetic note wrapped over the scent though. My general impression of the line was 'meh.'

As a side note, Bal d'Afrique really reminded me of Vetiver Tonka -- but instead of going for the smoky caramelized sweetness and transparency like the Hermes, the BdA is more of a floral bouquet with a lovely citrus top.
    Last edited by moltening; 11th July 2012 at 02:06 PM.

I'd just like to re-chime in and say I don't get rotting fruit at all.

Oud Immortel and Pulp are the two I want to buy. I am conserving my samples as long as possible in the hope that one day I will find them for a price I can afford. Alittle bit of pulp goes a long way and its great in humid heat.

- - - Updated - - -

I like Bal D'Afrique too but not enough to consider buying it. I find the bottles and packaging very beautiful too. I think it's a well-executed brand, it's not often I fall for that sort of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    I'd just like to re-chime in and say I don't get rotting fruit at all.
    Me neither, it smells pretty juicy and fresh to me. At most, I'd label the fruit "very ripe."

They don't smell synthetic to me at all. Quality juice is what they offer and tbh, they are priced cheaper than other some niche houses and given the longevity and projection on many of them ... that's a good deal.

I bet you if this brand was dated back to the 19th century and were priced like crazy AND were even harder to get ... people would go bananas over them.

Default Byredo hatred

Hey guys! I quite like some Byredo fragrances like Rose Noir, Baudelaire and Pulp but it seems there's a lot of hate for this house. Why is that?

Default Re: Byredo hatred

I haven't really noticed it ? its a niche house though - its the type of thing to polarise opinion

Default Re: Byredo hatred

Most of their compositions impart nothing to the genre's they are targeting - with the exception of M-ink, and yes, maybe Pulp - there are much better choices out there and most of their frags are relatively safe, simple, and disappointing.

Hate? No hate here... but for as much time as I've spent here and elsewhere searching out what might prove interesting to me, Byredo has (almost?) never came up in discussion. So what does that tell me? It tells me there is probably nothing at all special in line with my tastes and to pass; i.e. time & money better spent elsewhere.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

I have recently acquired 2 from Byredo, Sunday Cologne and Chembur. I like both of them, and I got them for a reasonable price.

While I appreciate the quality of this line in regards to both ingredients and concept, I have not found one that was even worth an exhaustive use of a sample. I hate it when I come across a brand that I can not appreciate.

Bullion is definitely worth checking out IMO.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Lobster2010 View Post
    I bet you if this brand was dated back to the 19th century and were priced like crazy AND were even harder to get ... people would go bananas over them.
    But they are already incredibly overpriced. That's part of the reason for the animosity: unimpressive, samey perfumes at enormous prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    But they are already incredibly overpriced. That's part of the reason for the animosity: unimpressive, samey perfumes at enormous prices.
    I don't understand the price issue. Is Byredo more expensive in the UK? The $/ml here is lower than many other e.g. Lutens and Malle.

I sampled Bal d'Afrique today, and quite liked it.
    At the time, I knew I had smelled something like this before, but I couldn't put my finger on it.......until I later when I was at home. It is VERY similar to another bottle I have in my collection.....Pal Zilleri Collezione Privata Viaggio d'Africa.

Tbh, I do not like this house at all. They're very synthetic to me, not fun to wear.

Quote Originally Posted by John E Buoy View Post
    I sampled Bal d'Afrique today, and quite liked it.
    At the time, I knew I had smelled something like this before, but I couldn't put my finger on it.......until I later when I was at home. It is VERY similar to another bottle I have in my collection.....Pal Zilleri Collezione Privata Viaggio d'Africa.
    Gees, what kind of collection do you have to find that obscure frag!? Me jealous
    Perhaps they copied Bal d'Afrique? Apparently they both smell like Vetiver Tonka though. Haven't tried it myself.

I love Accord Oud and reach for it often.

Blanche - special feeling of freshnes ( clean shirts were inspiration for this one )

Gypsy Water was alright, still not something I'd consider spending money on. Flat out hated Pulp, so weird. It had potential, but it's ruined by its rotten garbage quality.

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Gees, what kind of collection do you have to find that obscure frag!? Me jealous
    Perhaps they copied Bal d'Afrique? Apparently they both smell like Vetiver Tonka though. Haven't tried it myself.
    I bought my Pal Zilleri when Perfume Connection was still operating (at major shopping centers). They were doing 2for deals, it was 2 bottles for $50.

Anyhoo.....If you PM me your address, I'll send you a sample of the Pal Zilleri.

I read a number of positive praise for Bal D'Afrique and that it's supposed to be very similar to Hermes Vetiver Tonka. Well, I don't find much similarity. It smells pleasant but it's more like a skin scent -- hardly any sillage. I will NOT pay that kind of money for fragrances that fade off into 2" sillage within 15 minutes.

However, Accord Oud really impressed me. I know it doesn't have Oud in it (weird, given the name), but the composition is delicious and bordering on gourmand (without being sweet). I couldn't stop smelling my wrist on the way home from Barney's.

I really like Bal D'Afrique