Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Rose Fragrances

Default Rose Fragrances

This year I've gotten several with rose notes: Windsor, Rose 31 and Une Rose...I've heard many positive comments about others such as MFK Lumiere Noire PH, Amouage Lyric Man and FM Portrait of a Lady. Any comments to compare/contrast them or to recommend others for me to consider will be much appreciated.

Default Re: Rose Fragrances

All you mentioned are good. Also try Black Aoud by Montale, Nejma Aoud Two by Pascal Morabito, and Incense Rose by Tauer

Sur la Plage

Alain Delon Iquitos
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Tom ford noir de noir
    Top 5 current fragrances:

1. Creed spice and wood
    2. Creed Jardin d'amalfi
    3. Creed pure white cologne
    4. Bond no 9 fire island
    5. Bond no 9 sag harbor
    * Also loving Montauk

Sound Scents

JHL by Aramis, Floris No. 89, Lalfeorosa by Odriu are all worth adding to your already strong list.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by rollzst View Post
    Tom ford noir de noir
    Thank you sir; i have that one already and forgot to mention it.

I have Egoiste and have read that some fellow BNers mention the rose note in it...I like it, but don't get that component of it...is it just so well blended to be missed in that one? Or is my nose playing games with me

Rose Nacree du Desert by Guerlain

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by cologne connoisseur View Post
    I have Egoiste and have read that some fellow BNers mention the rose note in it...I like it, but don't get that component of it...is it just so well blended to be missed in that one? Or is my nose playing games with me
    I personally do not consider it a rose fragrance by any means..........
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Thanks for everyone's input thus far, it is greatly appreciated. Please continue to provide input as you see fit. Rose-based scents are a revelation to me, frankly...I spent 2 summers in high school tending to the huge rose garden of a family friend, and I think that beautiful scent never left my memory. There's something timeless about the smell of rose, perhaps like nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by cologne connoisseur View Post
    Perhaps it is my nose playing games, but all I get from Egoiste - from initial application through dry-down - is rose.

Eau Rose by Diptyque
    Rosissimo by Parfums des Rosine

I love my Egoiste, and certainly get a strong combination of rose, tobacco and sandalwood all the way through. The best rose frag I've ever smelled.

Other rose frags I have that I find exceptional are Black Aoud and Iquitos.

I have sampled C&S No 88 and really do like it (it's too damned hard to source a bottle), and was sadly not a fan of Le Labo's Rose.

I'd love to sample Washington Tremlett's Black Tie and Creed's Windsor. Both of those sound very nice indeed.

Ok, my run down of rose fragrances I've run into...

Hermes Rose Ikebana - It's nice, it's Hermessence what do you expect. Transparent rose, citrus, it's a happy feeling.

Noir de Noir - When people say boozy rose, this is what you expect. This smells like what someone's valentines day would be, roses, chocolate, some kind of alcohol...

Portrait of a Lady - BEAUTIFUL! Rose, berries, incense, and spices are what I get. It's about as close to perfect I can imagine. It will get noticed, and it does last.

Rose 31 - This one has been talked to death, and I tend to fall with everyone on it. Rose, cumin, and 29 other things (supposedly) make up this creation, but it's a blast. It's addictive, it's different, it's distinctive, it sets itself apart from other roses.

Rose Poivree - I thought this would be closer to Rose 31, and if you squint you might see similarities...but this smells much more strongly of rose, and it's done in that way only JCE could do. Replace Rose 31's cumin with pepper? Ehh, you'll get a closer estimation, but it has a darker feeling (animalistic coming out I think.)

Black Aoud - Rose and Oud...where have we seen that before...it must be the PB&J of the fragrance world...but this might have had something to do with it. A dark rose (really dark) some dark dank woodiness. Maybe take Noir de Noir, subtract the booze (not all of it!) take out most of the sweetness, amp it up to 11 (feel free to do the opposite to get back to NdN)

Hippie Rose - And then this came along, and I must have been taken in by the name, because at first I loved it. Patchouli, Rose (yea in that order) slight smell of incense...take out some of the berry sweetness in Portrait of a Lady, a lot of the longevity, and throw in a bunch more patchouli. It's fun, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Incense Rose - Incense, definitely. Rose, yep. An almost (but not) sickeningly sweetness to it, a bit like that other popular Tauer. Depends on the day, but I can like this.

Lyric Man - Just not worth the price...and I so wanted it to! Take that man on the end of the name for what you will, it might as well be said ironically. And look! Rose and incense again (incense must be the Nutella of the fragrance world) I just must not get it, it's being described as beautiful, all I get is blah. Maybe I'll go back to it.

West Side - You might be surprised by this one. It's fun! Imagine roses, soaked in wine, red wine. This is another I can take Noir de Noir, remove the chocolate, revise the booze to be wine, and say that's somewhat what I get. Of course it's not that simply, but fragrances rarely are. Still if you do have a mental picture for what wine and roses smells like, you're probably halfway there.

Most of the rose based fragrances I've tried I would recommend to a degree. I was disappointed in Lyric Man, Hippie Rose didn't turn out to be what I wanted it to be, but the rest are A-ok.

Acteur by Azzaro
    Mark K

I can't believe no one has mentioned Tea Rose it has got to be the most actual rose like fragrance ever.

Zino Davidoff
    Actuer
    Moods Krizia

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Alain Delon Iquitos
    Can you describe this one in depth or compare it to any contemporary scents ? I know you have utmost taste when it comes to heavier/masculine orientals/florientals.

Rose fragrances are very subjective especially among men due to the tolerance level of visibility of the rose note in them. I am one of those who want his rose big, front and center and do not consider a fragrance with the rose note "well hidden" by other notes a rose fragrance

Here are the "so-call" rose fragrances I've tried

Rose 31 by Le Labo - Rose on top of spices. Dry & powdery. Think Burberry Brit without the sweetness and a medium-size rose on top. Nice but doesn't last

Lyric Man by Amouage - Very rosy. The rose note in this one reminds me of the similar rose note in Rose 4 Reines of L'occitane. The dry down has a slight shampoo-y note that feel a bit cheap. Overall, one of the most well-done rose but I'm not willing to pay $200ish for a bottle

Ta'if Rose by Montale - Red, lush rose wrapped around by wood and dust. Very dramatic and very hard to wear

Deep Rose by Montale - Rose and peony. Slightly boozy with a woody undertone

Sa Majeste la Rose by Serge Lutens - Animalic rose, open with lush, sweet red rose then quickly become annoyingly animalic on my skin, fabric and paper

Elisabethan Rose by Penhaligon's - Old fashion tea rose

Tea Rose by The Perfumer's Workshop - Elisabethan Rose but more synthetic smelling

Westside by Bond No 9 - Again Rose and Peony. Very boozy and festive feeling (smell nothing like Deep Rose although my description makes them sound similar )

Noir de Noir by Tom Ford - Westside by Bond No 9, the very slight differences being NdN feels a little darker and not as festive a.k.a without the wow factor that makes Westside so special

No 88 by Czech & Speake - No rose! Smells old and dated

Acteur by Azzaro - Similar to No 88 in style but with more rosy sweetness

Lumiere Noire PH by MFK - No rose

Rossy de Palma Eau de Protection by Etat Libre d`Orange - More well-done and less sweet CK Euphoria for Women

Rose Poivree by The Different Company - More patchouli than rose or pepper. I do not feel any animalicity in this one

Rose Ikebana by Hermes - Rosy and a bit fruity. Smells like millions of fruity-rosy women fragrances out there, maybe with a tiny bit more depth. Nothing special and do not worth the price tag.

Voleur de Rose by L'artisan - Like the name stated, the rose is stolen and no where to be found. Very nice and well-done but putting rose in the name is quite misleading since this one is more about patchouli

Elixir by Penhaligon's - I smell rose at the beginning of this fragrance but it quickly dies down. Do not consider this a rose fragrance

Aoud Flowers by Montale - They say it has rose but I can only smell aoud

oh and I almost forget on of my favs

L'omber dans L'eau by Diptyque - a garden with veggies, rose and wet rocks
    Last edited by jasonx; 7th June 2012 at 03:39 AM.

There's not a lot left to say; lots of good recommendations above. I'll just add a few.

1. Opone by Diptyque. Discontinued, but you can still find it. A somewhat dark rose with a strong dose of saffron.
    2. Eau Rose by Diptyqe. I saw that someone mentioned it above, but it deserves to be mentioned twice! A delicate, bright rose perfectly wearable by men.
    3. Chanel No. 22 (Les Exclusifs). Similar to No. 5, but the rose and the aldehydes are amped up. Also sweeter. Again, a guy can definitely wear this.
    4. Bal de Roses by Keiko Mecheri. Musky rose.
    5. Aoud Damascus by Montale. Very rich, velvety rose with a strong dose of oud.
    6. Ambre Nuit by Dior.
    7. George Sand by MPG. Very earthy patchouli/rose accord.
    8. Infusion de Rose by Prada. Crisp, light rose with Brazilian mate. Sits quite close to the skin.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

Lyric WOMAN. I find it more masculine than Man. This is a much, much, much more sophisticated and better version of 1 Million to my nose.
    Splits!

Roja Amber Aoud & Tom Ford Tobacco Oud --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...d-Fleur-splits

Rose d'Homme by Rosine (Bulgarian roses, cedar-wood ,lavender, myrrh sharpened by a liberal crack of Spanish leather)

Citizen Queen by Juliette Has A Gun (Leather, Bulgarian Rose, Iris, Amber, Immortal flowers, Labdanum)

1876 Mata Hari by Histoires de Parfums (Bergamot, orange and litchi; middle notes are rose, iris, violet, caraway, cinnamon and carnation; base notes are vetiver, guaiac wood and sandalwood)
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Ungaro II and Ungaro III

My favorite rose at the moment is Paestum Rose over Rose 31, Égoïste, and Lumière Noire pH (in that order).

For those who can pull off a soliflore rose - Montale Highness Rose is one of the most beautiful ones out there, a fresh, youthful and etherial rose de mai.

I also like Amouage's Homage and Tribute attars. Homage is a gentle and polite (unlike many other Middle Eastern blends) combination of rose, frankincense, sandalwood, citrus and a touch of oud. Tribute has got lots of stuff happening but the rose in the opening is strong and perfectly matched with the cleanest, whispiest frankincense accord. It can be further enhanced by adding a touch of pure rose oil of the spicier variety like Ajmal's Kashmiri.

Basenotes Member

Don't forget Cruel Intentions and Baie Rose. Also, Absolu pour le Soir and Reflection Man have rose notes.

N'Aimez Que moi - Rose - Sandalwood - Moss

for swap/sale:

I really like Black Aoud by Montale. Lyric Man is also nice, but my wife said it smells feminine. It's also very expensive, so it may not be worth it.

Blog Entries

My all time favorite rose fragrance is Nahema by Guerlain, though it actually has no rose essence in it, it seems to best reflect a true rose fragrance. Quite an accomplishment for Guerlain.

Royal Secret for Men, L'Or de Torrente (with coffee), Popy Moreni by Popy Moreni (with coffee and brem).

Tea Rose, smells just like a rose, period.
    Black Aoud is a lot more rose than Aoud and is a killer dark masculine rose that lasts all day and night with one spray. What more could you want?
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Rose Barbare by Guerlain is a honeyed rose made with very high-quality Bulgarian rose essence.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    Voleur de Rose by L'artisan - Like the name stated, the rose is stolen and no where to be found. Very nice and well-done but putting rose in the name is quite misleading since this one is more about patchouli
    Voleur de Roses is strongly rose to me!

I also like Ambre Nuit by Christian Dior.

Richard James (aka Saville Row) is a wonderful rose fragrance for men. Suede, Rose and spices. Better in cooler temps.

Banned

Domenico Caraceni 1913 by Domenico Caraceni
    Fleurs de Bulgarie by Creed

Just wanted to bump this thread to see if anyone had any additional recommendations on rose frags. I feel like my wardrobe is really missing a solid rose scent...
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Rose Nacree du Desert from Guerlain Les Deserts d'Orient collection.
    anything a bit more easily accessible, and possibly affordable?
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

My favorite rose scents:

MFK Lumiere Noire pour Homme (clean, spicy, masculine rose)
    Creed Windsor (sophisticated formal rose)
    TF Noir de Noire (if you get in on a split, the price is much more affordable, boozy chocolate rose)
    Kilian Rose Oud (cant' believe this hasn't been mentioned, this is also one that is more affordable if you go the refill route)
    Paestum Rose (dry, dusty ancient rose)
    Amouage Lyric Man (clean, fresh soapy rose)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by eggy View Post
    anything a bit more easily accessible, and possibly affordable?
    Parfums de Rosine has several. Rosissimo, Rose d'Homme, Twill Rose. Rosissimo is the one I like the best of the three.

I would also like to put forward Rosissimo which for me is probably the most contemporary, masculine and straightforward rose scent i've worn.

VCA ph

but Lyric man is da bomb!

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    Domenico Caraceni 1913 by Domenico
    +1 and two thumbs way up! If you can find any! Grrrrrrrrrrrr
    Last edited by fredricktoo; 12th February 2013 at 12:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    For those who can pull off a soliflore rose - Montale Highness Rose is one of the most beautiful ones out there, a fresh, youthful and etherial rose de mai.

I also like Amouage's Homage and Tribute attars. Homage is a gentle and polite (unlike many other Middle Eastern blends) combination of rose, frankincense, sandalwood, citrus and a touch of oud. Tribute has got lots of stuff happening but the rose in the opening is strong and perfectly matched with the cleanest, whispiest frankincense accord. It can be further enhanced by adding a touch of pure rose oil of the spicier variety like Ajmal's Kashmiri.
    Ha I was going to say these three!! My favourite of these favourites is Tribute

Opus 1870 - subtle, sensual rose note behind some pepper and woods. Its worth a sniff.

Some others to try are Chanel Egoiste (rose and sandalwood combination work really well together) and Montale's Black Aoud (very long lasting middle-eastern like rose).

No 88 by Czech & Speake - rose and frangipani...one of my all time favorites. Bold and different.
    Signature Rotation: A* Men, Pure Havane, Dunhill Pursuit, Varvatos Artisian, Guerlain Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    Parfums de Rosine has several. Rosissimo, Rose d'Homme, Twill Rose. Rosissimo is the one I like the best of the three.
    Thanks! I'll check it out!

I have owned around 15 rose fragrances. Now I own none, I've yet to find the one. I admired vintage no. 88 immensely, but it's not the most comfortable wear for me.

I hated NdN when I first tried it, but I have come a complete 180 since, and I miss that chocolatey rose oh so much...

Basenotes Plus

Strong +1! A beautiful rose in the middle of a flower garden in a tropical rain forest. One of the most unique scents that includes a beautiful rose. So radiant and gorgeous. Better than niche.

Also, a mention of Vintage Azzaro Acteur. A different rose - darkening at the edge of the slightly-wilted petals...even a few have fallen off. Boozy opening with mace and a rich base of patchouli, oakmoss, vetiver, amber, musk and leather. The rose is deep and warm.

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Alain Delon Iquitos
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

No. 88 IMHO is not just about the Rose. It's also about those woods notes; I particularly enjoy the Sandalwood note in it.

Basenotes Plus

Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme has a wonderful, masculine rose. So proper and focused.

+1!

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Francolino View Post
    VCA ph

but Lyric man is da bomb!
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Blog Entries

Louban by MONTALE...better than Black Aoud...Very dusty rose...WONDERFUL! It is virtually unknown, so you won't smell like everyone else...
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Many great ones have already been mentioned, but I feel that 3 of the best rose fragrances were not mentioned yet:

Armani Prive Rose d'Arabie
    Creed Jardin d'Almafi
    Tom Ford Cafe Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    Louban by MONTALE...better than Black Aoud...Very dusty rose...WONDERFUL! It is virtually unknown, so you won't smell like everyone else...
    Yeah, because when you wear well known fragrance like Black Aoud, around 0,0001% of the population smells like you. Which is unbearably high.

I think Montale's best Rose is Aoud Damascus but it does learn more towards the feminine side, I've had a lot of great compliments wearing it though.

I'm surprised Doug didn't mention Heeley Agarwould Extrait which is a fantastic jammy rose with nice woody oud in the bg, A very pretty fragrance but strangely masculine too.

Noir de Noir

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    I'm surprised Doug didn't mention Heeley Agarwould Extrait which is a fantastic jammy rose with nice woody oud in the bg, A very pretty fragrance but strangely masculine too.
    Ah, you are correct! Don't know how this one slipped my mind. Great stuff - love this one. I find this to be very long lasting too...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    Yeah, because when you wear well known fragrance like Black Aoud, around 0,0001% of the population smells like you. Which is unbearably high.
    LOL...You got me. How about if I change it to "among Montale lovers of rose fragrances"...Nah, I give up!
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales