Code of Conduct

Default Any one notice the change in Etat Libre D'Orange (ELDO) marketing?

Etat Libre D'Orange (ELDO) was always known and played the image as the “Bad Boy” of the perfume houses with its provocation on the name of its juice and visual accompanying visual imaging.
    It seems recently that it has chosen to tone down this image opting for going mainstream” with three personal observations.

1. ELDO has changed its packaging recently. It has stopped producing labels with visual drawings accompanying the name on the bottles. It has completely revamped with a clean array of bright color associated with the name and carried through to the outside box.
    ELDO official argument to the change is the argument was that they would have visitors in the shop who would only look at the graphics on the bottle then walk out of the shop. They decided it was detracting people from smelling the juice- hence the change.
    What this means to us is that if you have the original packaging and bottles amongst your collections – hold on to them as they will become collectors items.

2. Philipine Houseboy is considered a bit to frisky during launch testing, riding the line. This was replaced therefafter with the new name Fils of Dieu”. Apparently Fils of Dieu” since its launch seems to of had the potential exposure of offending certain religious groups.
    ELDO seems of decided to bring back Philipine Houseboy in both 50ml +100ml bottles and is phasing out the stock of Fils de Dieu.

3. The Flag ship store had previously a lot of provocative books on its shelves (for sale) from famous decadent photographers who loved to walk the line and provoke its readers with graphical and erotic photography. All these have gone replace by white blank walls of White Blank ELDO packaging prints.
    I loved the books and would always reach for one

Comments anyone?

Default Re: Any one notice the change in Etat Libre D'Orange (ELDO) marketing?

Interesting, thanks for the info. I had never been to the store...

But ELDO never put their funny images on the bottles for sale. The testers had the drawing, but the bottles were plain, which I thought was a little bit of a letdown.

cacio

I visited the Paris store a few times and found it rather charming. I love many of ELDo's creations, that said, nothing get's older than an old joke. I'm glad they're "cleaning" things up a bit.

I noticed that the images had gone a few weeks ago and wrote to them to ask what happened. They wrote back to me: "Et les fruits passeront la promesse des fleurs" and told me to keep faith. I will. I really do enjoy their work.

Had a feel that someday they might tone it down. Thanks for the info.

All I can say is that it is a shame: "Quel dommage." I liked the cheeky and naughty advertising and thought it a refreshing parody of high-brow and serious fragrance advertising. I hope Etienne returns to the irreverent humour that made ELdO so much fun.

In spite of the silliness, many of their scents are very good. (Jasmin et Cigarette, Closet Queen, Tom of Finland.)
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I knew they'd tone it down.

They need , in order to make more profit, to garner a larger share of the market. With their current motif and marketing they're restricting themselves to a smaller margin of potential customers.

Lets hope Serge Luten doesn't surrender and go down this path.

for swap/sale:

I never thought the provocative imagery married with the character of their fragrances...they are too nice and well behaved for saucy pics.