Code of Conduct

Default Best men's moisturiser

What do you all think the best men's moisturiser is to apply in the areas you put fragrances to extend the longevity of the scent?

Obviously I'm looking for an un scented moisturiser and one that works well for hands, wrists, face and neck area. Basically an all purpose high quality un scented moisturiser.

Default Re: Best men's moisturiser

I like Nivea essentially enriched, works well on my skin which tends to be very dry. But I have not tried it to lock in perfume, so I don't know how it would work for the purpose.

cacio

I like Cetaphil as an unscented daily moisturizer.

I use Aveeno unscented moisturizer to extend longevity.

Petrolatum -- petroleum jelly (such as Vaseline) or mineral oil.

It's cheap, neutral smelling, and does not contain masking agents, such as some "unscented" products do.

If you use it judiciously it is not at all greasy.
    Just because it happened to you doesn't make it interesting.

In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.

My sales thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/304...85#post2614885

Wanted: YSL Nu EdP

For Face and Neck I use:

Jack Black Double Duty Face Moisturizer SPF 20..I get no scent from it

For Body I use:

Jergens Ultra Healing....not sure if it is scented in any way but I don't notice one

I seem to have really good longivity with these
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

thanks guys ill check out the above.

I like all the products from Men Science. They're so good my wife starting using them because they're superior to her overpriced Chanel.

http://www.menscience.com/mens-face-...ion-cream.html

Cetaphil or Olay with SPF 15. Non fragrant and non-comedogenic.

Kiehl's or Anthony's. Jack Black is crap.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I use Aveeno unscented moisturizer to extend longevity.

This. Its the only unscented lotion ive used that actually has no scent after about 5-10 minutes. Ive used cetaphil and it left a slight scent for quite a while, granted it was a few years old.

Quote Originally Posted by knoxthis View Post
    This. Its the only unscented lotion ive used that actually has no scent after about 5-10 minutes. Ive used cetaphil and it left a slight scent for quite a while, granted it was a few years old.
    I agree!
    †hiS

I like to add jojoba oil to my moisturizer, I'll have to try Aveeno, right now I use Curel. My skin is really dry naturally...longevity down the tubes

I also use Aveeno Daily Moisturizing Lotion, it's unscented, and it does the job the few times I have done side by side comparisons between with lotion and without lotion sprays.

Every Man Jack Signature Mint
    http://everymanjack.com/products/fac...ture-mint.html
    Amazing, and amazingly cheap. It has a faint mint smell that fades quickly so it shouldn't interfere with the frags. I don't know about locking in the fragrance, but it's worth a shot being that it's so inexpensive...here in the U.S. at least, I don't know about England.

I would really try Anthony action line its amazing.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I simply use the in-house budget line Balea of the German cosmetics retailer DM - apart from being dirt cheap, even their scented products are sufficiently neutral-scented not clash with the fragrance worn, while still effective enough to enhance the very same fragrance applied.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 8th June 2012 at 03:27 PM.

I only moisturise my face and neck, ten to fifteen minutes after shaving, and like The Gentleman's Refinery unscented balm. They have a scented version, which smells of rose geranium and a mote of sandalwood, but it interferes with fragrances and isn't that appealing in its own right. It is very good for extending the longevity of fragrances, but am thinking of trying something that also protects somewhat against the sun.

As a side note, applying fragrances with bergamot or oak moss to the neck seems to be a bad idea, as I understand that they work as photosensitisers. That is to say, the skin becomes more sensitive to the sun. Hence why bergamot used to be used in suntanning lotions, as opposed to sunscreens. Sad to say, I have become increasingly wary of applying scents with these things in them to my neck. A great pity, as that is the most enjoyable way to enjoy classic eaux des colognes on hot days. Those with beards seem rather sensible in this respect.
    Last edited by Merely; 8th June 2012 at 10:46 AM.

Just moisturise at night before you go to bed so you don't have to worry about scents etc the next day. I find Nivea to work well.

Banned

I went with an all natural organic moisturiser in the end, no nasty chemicals and un scented so that should work nicely it's not a well known name but is just what I was after

I like both and I've ended up using a mix of the products of the two different companies. You need above all to research and them look into the ingredients of each product line. The Anthony Logistics moisturizer has nut oils in it while the Black moisturizers are oil free. While the nut oils provide various goodies they're also oil and any oil can block your pores.

I'm using the following regimen: (1) Anthony Logistics glycoiic wash (this product provides a daily "chemical" exfoliation of the skin; i prefer a chemical exfoliation over the "gritty" scrubs - anything gritty is going to exfoliate but it is also going to some degree inflict some inflammation onto the skin so I prefer to avoid the gritty scrubs). (2) the Anthony Logistics astringent pads (I have combination skin with an oily forehead area and I find that if I use this it helps prevent pimples). (3) The Black skin serum (this is admittedly a bit oily but it has all kinds of vitamins and antioxidants which is beneficial when you're my age and I hate to admit it because I used to think such claims were ridiculous but I really have noticed that my two horizontal thin age lines across my forehead have all but disappeared - granted they were shallow but I can tell a real difference and I attribute it to the skin serum (4) Black oil free moisturizer with sunscreen. Definitely - whatever moisturizer you choose - make sure it has a sunscreen in it. Dermatologists insist everyone should be using a daily sunscreen moisturizer on their face.

I know that sounds like a lot to do in the mornings (and a pain) but it takes only a few minutes. If you're not 54 (me) you probably only need to worry about deep cleaning and moisturizing and can exfoliate only once a week or so with the Anthony glycolic wash. Also if you have dry skin the Anthony glycolic wash may dry you out in which case I think I would use the Black moisturizer. Also - I tried the Baxter products - they are good products and they are great about sending you free samples of anything you'd like but I personally think both the Black and Anthony products are superior. Baxter does make a great shave cream product which I like.

Try one of the following:

- Geo F Trumpers unscented moisturiser

- Korres Men's Borage Anti-Shine moisturiser (ideal as an after shave too)

Nancy Boy Ultramarine Night Cream is my #1. Zirh Rejuvenate is my #2.

Nivea Unscented For Men
    "I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best." - Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

It depends on your skin type. I'd suggest the humble Simple 'Kind to skin' range: 'Hydrating Light' is you've oily or blemished skin or 'Replenishing Rich' if you're normal or dry skin. For 1.50 odd, you can't really go wrong.

Another coupe for the marketing men.

My Grandad has never used any and my Dad hasn't used any.

Neither of their faces have melted or even burst into flames and they both look 10 years younger than their actual years.

So do I.

Basenotes Plus

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ls_o05_s00_i00

Okay, this is the best aftershave/lotion I've used by far! It is incredible. And I've seriously tried sooooo many different ones. It lasts a long time so don't get too freaked about the price.

Oh yeah, it's Proraso.

I have been using Yves Rocher -Ginseng Actif range for years and works really well with my skin type( mixt-dry to oily)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    Isn't that used after the fragrance has been applied

Body- Aveeno unscented
    Face- Kiehl's Ultra Facial Cream

Sanctum
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

Clinique skin supplies for men

I use Olay Sensitive Skin with SPF 15. Works well with acne prone people.

LUSH - Charity Pot

I like Palmers Cocoa Butter lotion as it hydrates the skin for many hours as the alcohol in a lot of fragraces tends to dry my skin out.

Dependent

anything in the Nivea for Men line
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

I have whiteheads and a black or two on my nose. I've start using the Jack Black liquid product that has a 2% salicylic acid content on my nose and only my nose. The whiteheads and blackhead clear up entirely when I use this product twice a day and the pore become noticeable smaller. By day's end however the pores are larger once again and the sebum in those pores is beginning to backup again but after I use the Jack Black product before bed, the whiteheads are gone and the pores are tight. My question is this: should I be using a moisturizer on my nose (I'm not). I have to say that given the oily nature of my skin there, it seems as though that area sort of moisturizes itself, producing more oil during the course of the day. I'm afraid if I start using a moisturizer on that area again its bound to clog the pores and eliminate the benefits of using the 2% saliclyic acid solution. What are your thoughts?

Lancome Hydrix Gel
    Lancome Pure Focus shine control fluid
    Chanel Purete Ideale Mattifying fluid
    Clinique Stay Matte Hydrator
    Clinique M-Gel lotion
    Kiehls Facial Fuel

(not in any order of preference)

Anything by Nivea (for men)

Are you talking about the Jack Black Skin Serum? You regimen sounds identical to mine. I a just a few years younger. I am almost empty with my Jack Black Skin serum and am looking to try something new. Any ideas? or are you happy with the Jack Black serum?

Quote Originally Posted by pwhinson View Post
    I like both and I've ended up using a mix of the products of the two different companies. You need above all to research and them look into the ingredients of each product line. The Anthony Logistics moisturizer has nut oils in it while the Black moisturizers are oil free. While the nut oils provide various goodies they're also oil and any oil can block your pores.

I'm using the following regimen: (1) Anthony Logistics glycoiic wash (this product provides a daily "chemical" exfoliation of the skin; i prefer a chemical exfoliation over the "gritty" scrubs - anything gritty is going to exfoliate but it is also going to some degree inflict some inflammation onto the skin so I prefer to avoid the gritty scrubs). (2) the Anthony Logistics astringent pads (I have combination skin with an oily forehead area and I find that if I use this it helps prevent pimples). (3) The Black skin serum (this is admittedly a bit oily but it has all kinds of vitamins and antioxidants which is beneficial when you're my age and I hate to admit it because I used to think such claims were ridiculous but I really have noticed that my two horizontal thin age lines across my forehead have all but disappeared - granted they were shallow but I can tell a real difference and I attribute it to the skin serum (4) Black oil free moisturizer with sunscreen. Definitely - whatever moisturizer you choose - make sure it has a sunscreen in it. Dermatologists insist everyone should be using a daily sunscreen moisturizer on their face.

I know that sounds like a lot to do in the mornings (and a pain) but it takes only a few minutes. If you're not 54 (me) you probably only need to worry about deep cleaning and moisturizing and can exfoliate only once a week or so with the Anthony glycolic wash. Also if you have dry skin the Anthony glycolic wash may dry you out in which case I think I would use the Black moisturizer. Also - I tried the Baxter products - they are good products and they are great about sending you free samples of anything you'd like but I personally think both the Black and Anthony products are superior. Baxter does make a great shave cream product which I like.

I use Cetaphil as well. The scent is faint and dissipates immediately. I have really dry skin which I'm trying to repair, so it is absorbing easily. I'm new to the fragrance scene so I don't know if it is improving my longevity but I would say my longevity is poor at the moment. Hoping to increase it with moisturizers/tons of water.

Yes, the Jack Black Skin Serum. I've modified my regimen a bit. I eliminated the astringent pads, and at night I now use the Jack Black moisturizer that has an 8% glycolic acid component in it. I emailed them on the link of their website to get the pH of this produce because some products having glycolic acid simply don't work because the pH is too high. The pH in the Jack Black glycolic acid product is 3.0 which is about perfect (I think its called line eraser or something like that - its more like a lotion than a cream). Also to face my face in the morning I use the Jack Black cleanser (its only one but it has no exfoliating agents in it like the Anthony Logistics stuff followed by the Black moisturizer/serum mixture (I mix on squirt of the serum with about 3 squirts of the moisturizer. At night, I use the Anthony Logistics gylycolic wash followed by the Black line eraser or whatever its called. Again dropped the astringent pads because I thought they were too drying, and they were expensive. The serum I would be as an extra kind of extravagance. I think the Black moisturized is probably all you need. When you get to be 55 you might do the serum!!! (my age). Good luck

I'm relatively young (23) and have quite oily skin so I need to be careful with what products I use, so I've been picking up and throwing out different ones for years. The ones that work really well for me are:

Face: Clinique's clarifying lotion followed by Clinique's M-Gel or Jack Black's serum as pwhinson does. I can't really split the difference.

Body: Skin Doctors Supermoist is amazing, it's scent-free and lives up to the '24h hydration'. Really.

Basenotes Member

I used Cetaphil and Eucerin for my face in the past and now I prefer CeraVe. I've used many facial moisturizers over the years and I haven't found a better one than this.

I'd go with Lush because pretty much everything they make is exceptional. Personally though I just get the big bottle of unscented moisterizer at Trader Joe's and it does the job just fine.

Normally I use a vitamin C serum, followed by CeraVe, and then a good matte broad spectrum sunscreen. I recently tried Na-PCA and it's fantastic. A great moisturizer that leaves absolutely no residue behind...and it's very inexpensive!
    Wild at Heart and Weird on Top

How are the Jack Black products anyways? I have very sensitive skin so shaving often irritates it easily. The current moisturizer I use, while it works great, tends to make my face a bit greasy after a while. I was considering buying the Jack Black trial kit or whatever it is. You know, the kit they have that have smaller bottles of all the products.

edit: sorry didn't realize this was an older thread! lol

Post pictures guys.

My favorites are: Menscience oil free, Baxter of California Oil Free, L'Occitane Youth Concentrate, and Clinique Moisture Surge.

I am very sensitive to a lot of chemicals and additives used in moisturisers and so use products made by Weleda and Salcura. They have been fantastic.

I don't usually use moisturizer, because I live in a very hot and humid weather. When I do, I use nivea.

When I feel that my skin is loosing it's glow, I apply a powerful cream of tretinoin (the acid of Vitamin A) 0.1%, that makes my skin peel and reveals a new and much more beautiful skin underneath.

Thumbs up Re: Best men's moisturiser

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes