Code of Conduct

Default Encre Noire as an everyday frag?

I recently purchased this after testing on on paper and being absolutely blown away by its awesomeness.

I have tried a number of the more popular vetiver scents, in order to try and gain a better understanding of the note, such as Grey Vetiver, Vetiver Extreme and L'occitane's vetiver, but something about Encre Noire blew me away (also, $45 bucks shipped to Canada for 100 ml was too good to pass up). I really enjoy Vetiver Extreme, but I think Encre Noir edges it out for me.

Here's my dilemma...

I've always considered vetiver-heavy frags to be nice for darker, rainy days. I've tried to keep Aventus as my go to frag for the spring/summer weather but the longevity, projection and sillage are all so disappointing, and I'm being left wanting something more.

Everyone says Encre Noire is a "dark" frag, and I can definitely understand where they're coming from. Does anyone else feel like it might be out of place on a warm, sunny day?

I even tried going back to Very Sexy in an effort to save money because I felt the basenotes were similar to Aventus, but I'm starting to notice a really strong aquatic accent to it that is making me sick.

Help me find a replacement for aventus!!!! haha

Default Re: Encre Noire as an everyday frag?

I have Encre Noir and it is dark as everyone attests but I could not wear it everyday. For me you have to be in the mood for this one.

Smelling that sour vetiver note after the smoky opening has worn off for ten plus hours everyday would I think drive me crazy.lol

Best to sample as many frags as you can and I'm sure you will find your replacement for Aventus which is more agreeable than Encre Noir.

IMO Encre Noire can definitely be used as an everyday fragrance.

I also feel it can be worn everyday.

Funny, I have the opposite seasonal use of vetivers. I like them when it's hot and humid, because they're extremely fresh and very persistent. (Indeed, apparently Guerlain Vetiver was originally developed for the Mexican market). So my Sycomore (which is simililar to EN - just more natural to my nose but much more expensive) comes out in DC's humid heat.

cacio

Banned

this Thread might prove helpful >>>>> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/293...-Creed-AVENTUS

For me, it's a neverday frag....not a big fan of vetivers and there were others I preferred more. Also, I think they are too dank and heavy to wear all the time anyways
    WANTED (full or partial bottles)
    Divine eau Divine (refillable)

Banned

Although I like Encore Noire by Lalique very much, perhaps, you should set your sights on an airy and lighter, vetiver fragrance.

Try:

Sel de Vetiver by Different Company - Upon application, one is treated to a refreshing mixture of tangy grapefruit commingling with the mild spiciness of cardamon. A vetiver undercurrent imparts its reedy and grassy facets, and carries the almost airy opening to its metamorphic heart. Here, parsley-like liveche imparts its celery-like and faintly anise facets and interplays with the cardamon to foster a medicinal and salty illusion, while geranium add its lemony and slightly peppery, herbaceous quality. And, a creamy floralcy from ylang-ylang flutters about the fragrant, rooty and woody aspects of a pronounced vetiver. Transitioning to the comforting base, iris with its violet-like and powdery character interplays with a musty, yet peppery, earthiness from patchouli. Salicylates impart a faint odor of sunbathing lotion, while the smoky aspect of the vetiver now comes into its own. A mellow drydown ensues. This somewhat light composition have average projection and longevity.

No way buddy, encre noire gets me sick if I wear it more than one day.... It's an awesome fragrance but no way not an everyday fragrance... Sycomore... Yes, now that's a vetiver that I can wear everyday...
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

I see no reason why Encre Noire can't be worn everyday. I find Noire to be wet, smoky and light and not as heavy as some others find it. I can also wear it all year round at informal and formal events.

No matter how often I wear it I can always smell it and at the time of writing this post have never failed to be complemented while wearing it.

It can be bought at a reasonable price online as well unlike similar fragrances like Sycamore (which I love very much and like more than Noire). So if you feel like wearing Encre Noire everyday then my advice would be to do so.

Dollars recommends Different Company's vetiver which is also very nice although in my experience more expensive. If you can sample it and like it and could afford to use it everyday it would also be a good choice as would Sycamore.

Personally I'm not a huge fan of vetiver but I don't see why you can't wear it if you like it.

For me it's not an everyday fragrance.....If it works for You that's great.....There is no right or wrong to me.....It's all a matter of likes and dislikes.....Gary

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    No way buddy, encre noire gets me sick if I wear it more than one day.... It's an awesome fragrance but no way not an everyday fragrance... Sycomore... Yes, now that's a vetiver that I can wear everyday...
    To my nose Encre Noire and Chanel's Sycomore are very similar. Although I like Sycomore more I think it's slightly more complex, has a nicer dry down and has a little extra "something". However I wouldn't say you could wear one everyday and not the other there not that different at least to my nose.

I find myself reaching for my bottle of Sycomore on those gloomy, rainy days.
    My current top ten:
    1. Spice and Wood
    2. Apple Brandy
    3. Tonka Imperiale
    4. Pure Malt
    5. Bois d'Argent
    6. Noir de Noir
    7. 5 o'clock au Gingembre
    8. Dior Homme Intense
    9. Epic Man
    10.Tobacco Vanille

I've never used encre noire but I've watch Marc a.k.a robes08 on YouTube and what frags I got that he reviewed he nailed them right on the head so from what I heard from him I'd say no (watch it and see what I mean). However just because someone doesn't recommend you to use it as a signature scent doesn't mean you have to do as they say...its all up to you. If its that good to you that is most important.

Its really very personal.

I wouldn't mind wearing EN everyday and I actually did for a while.

Like Cacio, I find that vetiver has a different facet in warmer weather.

for swap/sale:

I just bought Encre Noire and like it very much. I agree with Cacio on this one as I like vetiver's in the heat as well. An excellent light vetiver that gets talked about here occasionally is Comme des Garcons Vettiveru. It actually comes in cologne strength (not an EDT) and is not real expensive. I think it is a great summer fragrance!

EN is outside the bounds of "mainstream" frag wearers, so you really need to decide for yourself on this one. Some who smell it on you will hate it or think it's weird whereas others will be captivated by it (at least at first). It's not for people who want to "blend in with the crowd," so that being the case, if you are going to wear it, you might as well wear it as often as you get pleasure from it.

Thx for a lot of input guys.

For the people who wear the stuff often - Do you find it's TOO strong, or the longevity causes you to feel sick after a while??

Quote Originally Posted by eggy View Post

For the people who wear the stuff often - Do you find it's TOO strong, or the longevity causes you to feel sick after a while??
    I only ever apply 1 spray of Encre Noire. I applied my usual 3 or 4 when I first got it and it nearly
    choked me out.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Can't see why not.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy View Post

Actually the ISO E Super becomes a handful later on in the perfume. Otherwise it's very pleasant.

for swap/sale:

Not an everyday scent for sure.

Jeez talk about being split....

Anyway, I don't regret buying this at all. I think it's a great frag...

I do find myself back trying to find a replacement for aventus.

Please people give me some ideas! I love the way aventus smells, and I love how it's relatively unique (outside the BN community), but I hate the crumby longevity and projection. Also, I feel like it chokes me up a bit when I wear it.

It's dark but I don't personally find darkness a problem for an everyday scent - it's rather dense/thick, very sweet or loud fragrances that are difficult to wear daily. I think EN is quite transparent, balanced and non-intrusive. So I definitely think it works as an everyday frag. However, I don't think it works for the office so if everyday includes office-friendly I'd say no.

I find it a terrifying thought, frankly.

If I wore Encre Noire every day I think I'd get depressed. I couldn't wear Narciso Rodriguez for Him everyday either. Both are too dark and brooding and moody. Nice scents though.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Every day, no issue

It's a pretty easy wear, and for a business man like myself I think it really wears well with the suit and tie, year around really.

So yeah, it's fine as an everyday scent. Three sprays is a safe max.

It's fine as an everyday frag but personally I find it works much better on uneven days...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I can see how people love Encre Noire. I'm not one of those people though. It's the scent that finally confirmed to me that I will never like Vetiver no matter how much I try!

Doing certain things every day makes even the nicest activity boring!

I revise my opinion to no, wearing it every day could be a bit underwhelming. It just kinda sits there, being not as strong as I remembered it, not bringing much excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    I can see how people love Encre Noire. I'm not one of those people though. It's the scent that finally confirmed to me that I will never like Vetiver no matter how much I try!
    I'm pretty close to this. Vetiver is not my favorite, either. And I have tried many. I can tolerate EN and Creed OV.

Still waiting on the darn bottle to be delivered so I can test this out for myself....
    For some reason I've been getting serious headaches and dizziness these days so I've discontinued fragrance use for the next little while

I find Encre Noire smells very close to a straight up Haitian vetiver essential oil that I own.

As for EDW, do it if you and those around you can handle it every day. Personally, I only wear it once every couple of weeks...rain or shine, cold or hot.
    Wild at Heart and Weird on Top

While I highly enjoy Encre Noir, I couldn't see myself using it every day - for me it's a fall/winter fragrance only.
    Only on cold rainy days will I ever wear it in the spring.

You can wear any frag all year round, but some are just better suited for colder weather - Encre Noir is such a frag IMHO
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    Now with 418 bottles in my collection

Quote Originally Posted by Smells_Familiar View Post
    I find Encre Noire smells very close to a straight up Haitian vetiver essential oil that I own.
    True. Even though Encre Noire is a combination of Indian Ocean vetiver and Haitian vetiver, the majority of it does smell like Haitian.

for swap/sale:

I don't see why you couldn't wear Encre Noire everyday if you wanted to. I find vetivers in general to be pretty versatile and especially suited to warm weather. There is a huge variety of them, however, and Encre Noire is on the rougher, heavier end of things.

I applied 7-8 sprays once. Walking Chernobyl

I just got it (a mini). Too sickening in temps over 80F, but in the fall and winter, I think it'll be awesome. It smells more like an autumnal scent to me. In the heat and humidity here, that vetiver has a singeing sourness that stings the nose like piss.

I used to wear it during hot summer days (just 1 spray under shirt) and it was nice but I have to agree with Jack Hunter. I have to be in mood to wear EN. It is "too special" and can easy get on nerves if you are not in right mood for that.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

After multiple wears I have to agree with all who have said it's not an everyday frag. It seems quite formal for me, thus not versatile enough for everyday wear. I still want to try it with a suit one of these days...
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]