Code of Conduct

Thread: 1 Million

Banned
    Blog Entries

Default 1 Million

I decided to put another review up, so this is a great opportunity to discuss one of the best selling fragrances of the early 2000's.

This fragrance is sweet without being cloying, fresh without lacking sophistication, masculine without being loud, and spicy without being overwhelming. In simplest terms, you can consider it a little similar to Le Male, in concept, but a little darker, heavier and more sensual.

If you can forgive the outlandish bottle design, you are in for a real treat.

Seasons: Best for spring or fall, but good any time.

Age Group: Age 25 to 35 is best, but good for anybody.

Blind Buy: This is as recommendable as a blind guy can get. (LMAO, i realized the typo)

Rating: 8 out of 10

Verdict: This is a real gem of it's decade. If you are a serious collector, you should have this one in your collection, or at the very minimum, sample this.

Your opinions?

Default Re: 1 Million

I couldn't disagree more...there's no need to forgive the bottle design, it's as tacky as the scent. It gets extremely cloying, it is very loud, and if I saw a 30+ wearing this I'd think the same thing I thought about seeing a 30+ year old wearing a shirt from Hollister. The only thing I can agree on is being similar to Le Male in concept, but only in the loud and obnoxiousness theme.

To quote my girlfriend "that fragrance ruined my appetite, I no longer want to eat"

I have it and think it's OK although nothing special. I don't have the negative feeling for it that many seem to have.

I expected something generically commercial, but I must say, this scent is not bad, its notes do have a certain appeal to me - maybe because I also belong to the age group of targeted consumers or slightly above.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    To quote my girlfriend "that fragrance ruined my appetite, I no longer want to eat"
    Well if nothing else, this could sell as a weight loss product.

The only fragrance in my wardrobe that I'm not too thrilled about, but people around me enjoy it when I wear it. Now that I've smelled so many high quality niche fragrances, 1 Million is a bit too synthetic for my taste. I'll still probably wear it every once in a while during cooler weather.

Banned

1 Million by Paco Rabanne is a perfect clubbing scent, and has a sweet, spicy, bubble-gum smell. It has great projection, wherein the scent goes beyond your personal space, and average longevity, about 8 hours. However, it can get cloying, so easy on the tigger - spray sparingly.

Don't like the bottle design but really like the scent. Don't understand all the hate it gets. Prefer it over Spicebomb every time.

Quote Originally Posted by dollars&scents View Post
    1 Million by Paco Rabanne is a perfect clubbing scent, and has a sweet, spicy, bubble-gum smell. It has great projection, wherein the scent goes beyond your personal space, and average longevity, about 8 hours. However, it can get cloying, so easy on the tigger - spray sparingly.
    I agree with this. The only time I wear it anymore is clubbing and everyone does seem to love it I get the most compliments from this fragrance. I hate how common it is though there is no individuality while wearing it.
    Top 5 current fragrances:

1. Creed spice and wood
    2. Creed Jardin d'amalfi
    3. Creed pure white cologne
    4. Bond no 9 fire island
    5. Bond no 9 sag harbor
    * Also loving Montauk

I wish guys who wear this would learn to NOT pour a whole bottle on themselves. This has an almost raucous projection.
    A guy at work put only 3 sprays on himself and it was apologetically raping my personal space.

This is the only scrubber I've experiences so far. I could only take about thirty minutes.

I think its in the same boat as joop great clubbing scent smells great but its very loud, I already have joop so I don't really want 1 million. Also its becoming overused now I smell it on a lot of people. Not bad though 7.5 out of 10

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    Rating: 8 out of 10

Verdict: This is a real gem of it's decade. If you are a serious collector, you should have this one in your collection, or at the very minimum, sample this.

Your opinions?
    .08 out of 10
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Probably good for high school age through late 20s. Way to synthetic for me. I cannot see a serious, gentleman wearing something like this.

It is what Joop! was on 80's, loud and offensive.

I actually like the bottle. Tacky or not, it's fun, like Spicebomb. As for the scent itself, it reminds me of a wicked and demented carnival. Where the cotton candy is questionably old and there's not so much entertainment, as there is despair. It's sugary sweet and strong as an ox. 1 Million certainly is this generation's Le Male. It's not elegant or suave. It's not even remotely masculine. It is however, an interesting and unique scent. I reserve it for bar/club use and I'd never wear it on a date. I'd give it a 7/10 due to it's incredible staying power and projection alone.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Woody amber galore. Horrifying.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I disagree with everything hat the OP says. I do own it, but for sentimental reasons and only ever wear it around the house, mainly because I'm not overly keen on it and every Chav and his Uncle who's really his Dad wears this. I've just ordered the Pure Perfume (not sure how pure it's go into be given its 100ml for 60) to see if it improves the overall concept of the fragrance as I do feel it needed something in the original to weigh it down a bit. Hopefully the leather will do this nicely.

The scent is pleasant, but too synthetic. Worth a bottle if you like it and want a sweet scent.

Not too worried about the bottle.

The advertisement shows a modern man of fashion: Wheels, dice, money, women, liquor. Although this man of fashion, unlike those of the last century, does not look like he'd last long in bare knuckle boxing match.

"No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Wow... I. Couldn't. Disagree. More.

This fragrance is sweet without being cloying
    Huh? It's nearly the definition of cloying.

fresh without lacking sophistication
    ...sophistication??!?!?

masculine without being loud
    ...WITHOUT BEING LOUD?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!!!!!!?!!??!?!?!! !?!?!?!!!!!?!!?!!!? ...it's a clubbing scent. It is intended to be loud.

and spicy without being overwhelming.
    Are you absolutely positive the juice you smelled was 1 Million, as in, Paco Rabanne 1 Million for men?

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    Although this man of fashion, unlike those of the last century, does not look like he'd last long in bare knuckle boxing match.
    The 20th-century was indeed the heyday of boxing, though I am not sure that much perfume was sprinkled around the ring. Perhaps as a cunning method of reviving antagonists from a swoon?

I have tried this once, and found it rather forgettable. Of course, there is much worse out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    The advertisement shows a modern man of fashion: Wheels, dice, money, women, liquor. Although this man of fashion, unlike those of the last century, does not look like he'd last long in bare knuckle boxing match.

Unless it were versus a 4 year old girl.

I was at Macy's yesterday and saw 2 women smelling men's fragrances. One looked like she was in her late twenties and I'm guessing the other was in her early to mid teens. I got the feeling the older one was looking for something for her boyfriend and her little sister (?) was tagging along. Just a guess. I wasn't intentionally eavesdropping, but the teenager was being really loud... and that was before she found the tester for 1 Million.

Teenager: "OMG! OMG! OMG!!! I LOVE THIS!!!"
    The older one: "Ok, let me see... [spray / sniff] ...EW! OH! GOD! That's AWFUL! OH GOD, AND IT'S ON MY HAND NOW. OH GOD OH GOD OH GOD."

It was all I could do to not burst out laughing. I guarantee if you were to see sales figures for 1 Million, they skew really young... but, to be fair, that's a market to be served and 1 Million does it well.

1 Million = bottled Beiber Fever
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 23rd July 2012 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Bottled Beiber Fever!!! AHAHAAHAHA!!! ...ahem.

I think this is the first time I've seen it described as 'sophisticated'. Its just loud chemical tat for teenagers who don't know any better.

i've got a sample i like, but it's over-worn, and I can't justify spending that much for something I'll hardly wear

When I first came onto the fragrance scent I loved it but as I became more experienced lets say with frags, the less I liked it. Im at a point now when I think "did I actually wear that?" it's awful awful stuff (to me)

I still liking this beast but here at Brazil it becomes VERY commom, everyone wears it. You can smell it everywhere.

It's a sumptuous fragrance, but it's so autonomous I'm afraid it would wear me...

I must say it's one of the rare sweet scents i like. (Another one being Rochas Man).
    For sale (Worldwide): Dark Aoud, Jazz Prestige, Ungaro I Edt + Aftershave, Versace L'Homme Vintage etc.

"Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    .08 out of 10

agree

I think it to much of a good thing. But I also find it a lil cold even though its sweet. Not badbut there are other out there very similar like ysl l'nuit for less money.
    Last edited by Stayclose; 23rd July 2012 at 11:16 PM.

What's clubbing?
    My current obsessions for now
    Oud Wood , Noir de Noir , DHI , Mugler Cologne , Bond No.9 Bleeker St. ,
    Ramone Monegal Agar Musk & Umbra , Chanel Coromondel ,

I don't find the scent offensive, but as a grown man, I personally don't prefer to smell like Fruit Stripe bubblegum. It's probably the antithesis of 'sophisticated'- it's designed to be a sweet-smelling attention-getter, and it does execute that task rather well. Spicebomb probably gets more love around here than 1 Million, but I feel the same way about that one as well. However, neither are bad, just nothing I'd like to smell or smell like for any extended period of time. If you enjoy it, rock it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tucansam View Post
    What's clubbing?
    When your scent is so strong it clubs a girl and renders her unconscious.

Quote Originally Posted by Awakening950 View Post
    This is the only scrubber I've experiences so far. I could only take about thirty minutes.
    this is exactly what happened to me. i've never been so desperate to wash something off.

Banned
    Blog Entries

In 2009, the fragrance community loved this stuff commenting on how exclusive and special it was.

Now that it's sold everywhere, it's getting a lot of hate.

I can understand why many people wouldn't like this, but if you are a fan of sweet-fruity scents, 1 million is great.

I like 1 Million, I never understood all the hate but it seems like the tide is finally turning on this one.

Marks and Spencer's "Homme" (gold bottle as well) is a better version at a fraction of the cost! - I have it, and enjoy it!

I wouldn't wear it despite there's something that catches my attention

Great review! I would drop the recommended age a bit though. I see tons of people my age (20) wearing 1 Million on nights out

1 Million is definitely a hit with teenagers.

I don't hate it. I ended up with a bunch of samples of it and I wear it on days when I don't want to waste any of my better scents. It's average smelling. There is much better and much worse out there. The gold bar is one of the most tackiest bottles out there though.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraghead View Post
    I disagree with everything hat the OP says. I do own it, but for sentimental reasons and only ever wear it around the house, mainly because I'm not overly keen on it and every Chav and his Uncle who's really his Dad wears this. I've just ordered the Pure Perfume (not sure how pure it's go into be given its 100ml for 60) to see if it improves the overall concept of the fragrance as I do feel it needed something in the original to weigh it down a bit. Hopefully the leather will do this nicely.
    This completely. This alone makes it unwearable to me. It doesn't even really matter what it smells like now - it's been claimed by the chavs & unless you want to smell like them, you have to stay away from the stuff. It's the smell of the general populace. It's the smell of every spotty kid in every club across the UK.

Not that I club much these days, but when I do, my scent tends to be Pure Malt.

I don't like it at all, I laughed so much at the original post that I'm sure it's a troll post

My story with 1 Million is that as i usually can't stand the gourmands at all, and i was happy to find 1 Million, the second gourmand which i actually liked (Rochas Man being the another one). I agree what you wrote that it's not to my nose cloying at all. The citrus notes in the opening are really nice. Truth is that i really rarely wear it but i like it (as i same time realize that it's not for my age group which may be the reason i don't often wear it)'

Edit: I didn't think that noirdrakkar's post was a troll post, but if it were maybe i'm too dumb to notice it lol
    For sale (Worldwide): Dark Aoud, Jazz Prestige, Ungaro I Edt + Aftershave, Versace L'Homme Vintage etc.

"Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

It's not as bad as the haters make it out to be, but needs a light application. I see it as belonging to a group of scents all having a strong core similarity (cherry cough syrup, or more kindly, "dark red fruits and wood"), but differing in the details: CK One Shock, Varvatos "classic" and Vintage (dunno about Varvatos Artisan and the flanker-flanker Artisan Black), Sexual Nights, and Sexual Sugar Daddy. I'd take any but Shock over 1 Million most of the time, but I do wear it on occasion.

Great scent. Possibly posed to overtake ADG as king of the hill.
    "If you enjoy the fragrance of a rose, you must accept the thorns which it bears."
    -Isaac Hayes

If you...

wear wife-beaters,
    rode home on a bullet bike
    saw this weeks new episode of Jersey shore
    Fist pumped the air in the past 6 hours
    fixed your hair more than once today
    wear sunglasses indoors
    Buy "schmedium" t-shirts off the rack without trying them on
    had a "jager-bomb" in the past 12 hours
    or stood in front of a 15,000 watt speaker stack for 2 hours and loved every minute of it

Then you should probably keep wearing 1 Million

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by walkdogg View Post
    If you...

wear wife-beaters,
    wear sunglasses indoors
    or stood in front of a 15,000 watt speaker stack for 2 hours and loved every minute of it

i am from new jersey though

still, people like to make their associations based on the BN community rather than making associations through their own experiences.

to me, 1 million isn't a club banger or a douchey cholo-guido scent.

it's something i enjoy and wear from time to time.

one of the best selling fragrances of the early 2000's.
    Early 2000's?....PR 1M came out in 2008, it started getting ridiculously popular in 2009. Note that.

- - - Updated - - -

Haters, Haters, Haters everywhere.....people just make this frag sound like the worst ever. But as soon as they hit the store shelves, they are sold out. Why don't you guys rather hate on Aqua Di Gio? I tend to spray my couch a lot lately with AdG.....I dont know why, it's like my new air freshener.

Quote Originally Posted by walkdogg View Post
    If you...

wear wife-beaters,
    wear sunglasses indoors

Basenotes Plus

I disagree with the majority of the posters here, I think it smells very good and has a pleasant drydown. I will echo people's claims that the bottle is tacky though. It looks really nice in the pictures but it might be one of the most tackiest (is that a word?) bottles I've come across.

Perhaps the best designer releases of the last 5 years, I love it every time I wear it. But If I lived in the UK/Europe, I wouldn't touch it with a 20 foot pole.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Well if nothing else, this could sell as a weight loss product.
    Now that's funny

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    .08 out of 10
    Now that's funny as well

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tucansam View Post
    What's clubbing?
    As in "Nightclub" meat market with dancing.

It smells like chewing blue raspberry bubble yum and sticking jolly ranchers up your nose.

My problem with 1 Million is that it's the signature fragrance from hell. The sweetness, jet blast sillage, 48 hour longevity, and over spraying is the problem. Even fragheads like us have problems with the trigger on this on. Make a thread with the heading "Name one fragrance that defines obnoxious.", and I guarantee you 1 Million would win by a landslide.