Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Is Equipage by Hermes a "Masterpiece"?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 61.11%
  • No

7 38.89%
    Basenotes Plus

Default Equipage - Masterpiece?

Guy Robert's classic and definitive work of olfactory art...from 1970. Hermes' first male fragrance.

Wonderful in composition, vibe and historical context.

Is it a true "Masterpiece"?
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Default Re: Equipage - Masterpiece?

Don't know about a masterpiece, but it's sure a good one IMO.

Perhaps, but do you want Picasso's "Guernica" in your young child's bedroom? LOL.

I voted "no." It's a great scent, and I have a bottle, but for an equestrian inspiration, I go with Habit Rouge, in reference to the red hunting habit. (I much prefer the name of the women's Caleche, a type of 19th century carriage.)

Yes, Hermes in the 1830s were makers of bespoke tack for the noble and wealthy of Europe.

I also like the name of Hermes Amazone, a woman's scent named after a female rider in her riding habit. A woman mounted in a habit was considered very racy and sexy.

http://skittles--catherinewalters.blogspot.com/
    Last edited by Primrose; 8th June 2012 at 06:07 AM.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

Double post.
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

Voted for a clear "yes"

Banned

Equipage by Hermes is, indeed, a classy and elegant, masculine masterpiece.

Basenotes Member

Its certainly good. I have a 1.7oz (95% full) bottle if anyone is interested ($40 shipped).

I wrestled with Equipage for a while before I came to like it. I can honestly say I don't love it but I still think it is a masterpiece.
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It has nothing whatever to do with riding, no, and it may betray some people's notions of a masterpiece as requiring some note of the grotesque or challenging, but it is remarkable all the same in its making an impression of a 'cold pipe' from elements that are floral, herbal and spiced. Like a woman made from flowers, or a piece of fruit made from meat. I tend to think of it as 'discreet avant garde', something that Comme des Garcons might have come up with on one of their best days. Whether it is a masterpiece is a difficult question. It is certainly one that stands the test of time, is extremely enjoyable in every one of its stages, and will probably be around in another 50 years. So I would dare to answer 'yes'.

Basenotes Plus

Some wonderful input - thank you to everyone. I have wrestled with the notion and have considered at this point in life...to me, personally, it is undoubtedly a classic and a true masterpiece of scent.

To each their own and I appreciate the responses and votes - I have a notion of equestrian and riding when I smell this due to the horse-drawn carriage (which is, by definition, an "equipage") logo and bakelite carriage-wheel cap, but surprising as it may be...there is no leather in this scent. You probably well know that. But, this is where olfactory perspective is what tips the scale for me to call it a true masterpiece.

Merely touches on the composition's "discreet avant garde"-vibe...by the way, very eloquently put my friend. I totally am in agreement. The ice-pick bergamot, rich florals, and sheer elegance of the woods and spices make the sum of its parts a greater whole in this Oriental Fougere crafted by the brilliant, late Guy Robert. He was able to accomplish something few can do, even today.

In Equipage, he deftly took amazing individual notes and blended them into such wonderful and intricately woven texture, that one actually believes an "accord" of leather exists (not an actual true "note")...and it transcends one to a stable, with riding leathers and puts you on a majestic steed in the woods. How? Some people have guessed the spices blended with the earthy patchouli. That is up to individual interpretation if you even smell leather. The bottom line is that this fragrance creates imagery and smells as chic and elegant today as it did in 1970 - perhaps, even more so. With an original bottle of Vintage Equipage in my hand, I feel blessed and about to experience something that will be remarkable...and I cannot say that about more than a handful of fragrances in my entire collection.

It will forever be timeless and never dated.

Merci, Monsieur Robert! Merci.

Cheers.

ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

truly so..along with Rocabar!

Sur la Plage

Very good - yes

Masterpiece - no
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Four stars out of five(****)!

A definate classic !!
    & it only took two wearings to come to this conclusion ..
    A dozen wearings later ... it still amazes me how great this is .
    Amongst the top 10 of all time in my opinion .
    cheers

Power Where You Need It

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Very good - yes

Masterpiece - no
    What he says...The closest thing to a masterpiece among the Hermes masculine offerings is, IMO, vintage Bel Ami.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Banned

Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    What he says...The closest thing to a masterpiece among the Hermes masculine offerings is, IMO, vintage Bel Ami.
    I agree. Dear God, is it ever wonderful.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme