Code of Conduct

Default Wrist spray Vs Full wearing?

I have been apart of the basenotes community now alittle over a few months. I have learned quite a bit from you guys. I also learned from reading reviews,threads, and blogs this great site puts out. I am not new to to wearing fragrance though I have been wearing them all my life. I can thank my brother for that but what I am new to and have learned over these past few months is not to judge a scent by a wrist spray. I feel a wrist spray can be deceiving. You spray it on your wrist and you like it and then when you buy it you wear it for a full wearing and your thinking what the heck???? Examples: I have really lifted up Zirh Ikon on this website and others but I was going solely on a wrist spray and on that wrist spray alone I got a very solid scent with great longevity. It's cooling off where I live and I decided to wear a full wearing; 4 sprays nothing extreme but I notice I did not like it in full wearing than I did with one spray to the wrist. Another example is Guess by Guess one spray to the wrist or inner elbow and I am blown away but after wearing a full one I get turned off by it real quick. Now I have to note not all scents do this to me just specific ones. I am also still learning the world of fragrances and thank you guys for being forgiving to those of us who are learning. Also, I wanted to know if there is anyone in the community who agrees with my theory? I would like to know if you guys have any helpful tips in why I am having this issue with certain fragrances. Am I spraying to much or too little? Anyways, Thanks guys and gals looking forward to hearing from you.

Default Re: Wrist spray Vs Full wearing?

I remember reading some interview from a perfumer who was saying that the wrist isn't a good place for perfumes, but forgot why. He was favoring more the arm and elbow area, though.

In any case, it could happen that some scents are ok in small doses, but not in big doses. Also, depending on the temperature, the arm may be colder (ie keep the perfume for longer) or too warm (hence going straight to the drydown).

Also, remember that you can also spray clothes, which have a different way of evaporating perfumes and thus may, in certain circumstance, preserve the good aspects of perfumes better.

cacio

Fragrance really dissipates fast off my wrist so I have to spray to my neck and chest. I have made the mistake in judging scents longevity on my wrist only to find it lasts longer sprayed elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I remember reading some interview from a perfumer who was saying that the wrist isn't a good place for perfumes, but forgot why. He was favoring more the arm and elbow area, though.

In any case, it could happen that some scents are ok in small doses, but not in big doses. Also, depending on the temperature, the arm may be colder (ie keep the perfume for longer) or too warm (hence going straight to the drydown).

Also, remember that you can also spray clothes, which have a different way of evaporating perfumes and thus may, in certain circumstance, preserve the good aspects of perfumes better.

cacio
    Well said.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Fragrance really dissipates fast off my wrist so I have to spray to my neck and chest.
    Same here.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobster View Post
    I feel a wrist spray can be deceiving. You spray it on your wrist and you like it and then when you buy it you wear it for a full wearing and your thinking what the heck????
    How funny! I've been thinking the same thing, but in reverse, and I've been meaning to post a question about it. There have been a few times when I tried a test spray on my wrist and thought "Meh." But when I gave the scent a full wearing, I fell in love.

So, yeah, I've been wondering if there are times when the wrist is deceiving. Definitely!

Dependent

i agree with jack hunter

Basenotes Junkie

I learned really quickly that the wrist is a terrible place to test a fragrance. Back of the hand is much more reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    How funny! I've been thinking the same thing, but in reverse, and I've been meaning to post a question about it. There have been a few times when I tried a test spray on my wrist and thought "Meh." But when I gave the scent a full wearing, I fell in love.

So, yeah, I've been wondering if there are times when the wrist is deceiving. Definitely!
    hahah I was thinking the same thing a few minutes ago as well. Joop homme is one of thos scents. I spray it once to the wrist to test it and its almost revolting but when I give it a full wearing I love it.

I find that generally I'm deceived the other way - I reject or fail to notice many scents that don't do it for me on my wrist, but which are a hell of a lot better in the wearing than I would have expected from the wrist testing.

I find the ones that are a bit lame in the wearing (usually from lack of projection) compared to initial impression on the wrist, usually just require a lot more sprays to make them perform better - either as extra sprays, or extra sprays directly on top of initial sprays, or additional sprays on the wrists.

I think the trick with wrist testing is to try pick a consistent distance to sniff from, rather than to just put one's nose closer to a scent that you really like.
    Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Member

I can't remember who posted this (in fact, they may also have been the author) on Basenotes recently, but it looks as though the perfumer is Jean-Claude Ellena. And the reason being because the pH on the wrist area is lower/more acidic.

Link: http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com.au...y-perfume.html

The wrist doesn't give me a great idea of what the scent cloud will feel like. Some fragrances make me ill if I wear them all day. Maybe they're too sweet, or too thick and heavy, or one specific note doesn't vibe with me - either way, I can't really tell if I've only got it on my wrist!

Also, it doesn't last as long there either, I agree.

Interesting, im a big fan of the wrist but thinking about it I do vary my sprays pending the fragrances longevity, strength and the weather. Eg, great spring day today I want to smell that GiT all day so one to the wrist and one to the neck/collar so its on the skin but also partially on the clothes.
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

He was favoring more the arm and elbow area, though.

cacio
    I do spray arms at times (never elbows) when I'm running out of space on my wrists - it's somewhat limited, though, as one usually only goes around with short sleeves in warm weather. I can't say I've noticed a big difference between the wrist and arms - other than I'm more likely to smell scent on an arm from a greater distance.
    Regards,
    Renato

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I find the wrist a good place to test for smell, but not longevity. My wrist is generally dry, as opposed to neck, chest and inner elbows which are moister over time. I think moisture has a role to play in the development and longevity of frags.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Wrist sprays often involve smelling the scent up close on the skin, which is only good, IMO, for detecting the "naturalness" of the frag. However, in your case I think it might be more about the first wearing, wherever you spray it, being better than subsequent wearings. The only "solution" I have it to not wear my frags often. My favorites get no more than one wearing per month, for example.

Banned

To acquaint myself with a fragrance, I will spray the back of my hand.
    But, for real testing, I do a full, normal wearing - chest and neck, which highlights the need for sampling.

Banned

Wearing a fragrance exclusively on the wrist is like limiting oneself to espresso instead of a cup of coffee.

For me, there is no significant difference between the evolution of a fragrance over a given period of time, irrespective whether I apply on the wrists or fully, in a few of the other traditional places (chest, behind the earlobes, neckline etc.), no significant difference between projection, longevity etc. either. However, any other application points other than my wrists do, on one hand, provide me with a sensation of more complex evolution of notes. But on the downside, make me slightly more prone to olfactory fatigue, because being exposed to the fragrance more directly, the subjective sensation of routine tends to set in after a while.

I know for a fact that testing by spraying and sniffing your wrist is completely different to testing by spraying yourself normally and experiencing it that way - the normal way.

I know this because every single day I spray myself the normal amount of sprays and then one on my forearm towards my elbow.
    When I smell my arm area, the perfume smells different than what I am smelling via projection.

For example certain notes will stand out or even exist whereas via projection it is a more harmonious experience.

I spray my arm for analytical reasons only. To see if I can detect all the notes stated by the perfumer or which notes are more prominent. Analytical only, not enjoyment.

I therefore am wary of reviews based on dabs to the arm or wrist. They're not exactly wrong but neither applicable to how a person would normally wear perfume.

cacio
    Because the wrist is continuously warm from the pulse and therefore escalates the perfume development.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by quislor View Post
    I can't remember who posted this (in fact, they may also have been the author) on Basenotes recently, but it looks as though the perfumer is Jean-Claude Ellena. And the reason being because the pH on the wrist area is lower/more acidic.

Link: http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com.au...y-perfume.html
    This seems to make sense. I am very careful now about judging scents from a spay on the wrist as my wrist seems to have a slightly sour skin smell, even when recently washed .

Blog Entries

l find the outer forearm to be the best place to test & wear fragrances, rather than the wrist. l find that most fragrances smell better there, last longer & give me a fuller picture of the fragrance's development. This may be due to the acidity of the skin, but l think the fine hairs on the outer arm trap the scent better.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

If I really want to get a good indication of what a fragrance will smell like on my skin I'll spray on the inside bend of the elbow. I also like to spray up and down my arms (on the arm hair) which seems to last longer and is stronger. Also, on the top of the hand is a good place.

Banned
    Blog Entries

wrists are a bad place to spray if you want it to projects.

only spray on your wrists if you want to test the longevity and development of a scent, but not for a public wearing.

Some fragrances smell different on wrist and on any other body's part such as Fahrenheit in my skin. I don't use to spray on the wrist.
    Last edited by Alvus; 5th September 2012 at 03:52 AM. Reason: updated

cacio

just off my own observation and logic, I stopped spraying my fragrances on my wrist and switched to the inner elbow area because

1. I wash my hands multiple times a day and the water and soap are likely to reach my wrist and wash away the fragrance, I assume that all of you are sanitary and hygienic human beings so you guys are probably doing the same. Hence I dont understand why everyone would rather use their wrist over their inner elbow.

2. The inner elbow area always seems to be warmer than the wrist , which allows for better projection.

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    l find the outer forearm to be the best place to test & wear fragrances, rather than the wrist. l find that most fragrances smell better there, last longer & give me a fuller picture of the fragrance's development. This may be due to the acidity of the skin, but l think the fine hairs on the outer arm trap the scent better.
    Wow never thought about the outer arm. Thanks for the suggestion and good to be getting some female input here.

Spraying behind the knee is very good for evaluating the projection of a scent.
    Regards,
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Spraying behind the knee is very good for evaluating the projection of a scent.
    Regards,
    Renato
    behind the knee as well??? hmmmm how do accomplish this turn the bottle side ways?