Code of Conduct

Exclamation Calvin Klein Encounter

Calvin Klein launches a new fragrance in September 2012 - mysterious, seductive and masculine Encounter.

The composition is developed by Firmenich perfumers Honorine Blanc and Pierre Negrin. It opens with aromas of mandarin, cardamom and rum. Pepper, Egyptian jasmine, patchouli and cognac from the perfume’s core, settled on woody nuances of oud, Atlas cedar and musk.

Top notes: mandarin, cardamom, rum
    Heart: pepper, jasmine, cognac
    Base: oud, cedar, musk

Actor Alexander Skarsgard, known for his role of the vampire Eric from the TV series "True Blood", was chosen to be the face of the campaign. His partner is model Lara Stone. The advertising displays a short story open to interpretation about tension and desire between a man and a woman.

Default Re: Calvin Klein Encounter

Thanks for the info. Don't think I'll be rushing out to buy this one though.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like D&G The One to me.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Awesome choice for the face. Notes sound good, but I know CK and expect it'll just be vaguely boozy synthetic cardamom . . . those notes won't be recognizable

Post Thanks / Like

I'm likin' what I'm seein'

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Could be interesting. Thanks for the heads up.

Post Thanks / Like

I hoped you had had a chance to confront him about his company's scents when clicking on this.

I was expecting something a little more risque, based on the title. Pity...

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like another step in the right direction for CK following the excellent (IMO) CK One Shock. Some interesting notes in this one. I'm happy they are moving away from generic dreck like In2U and Free.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone tried this yet?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElNino-7- View Post
    Anyone tried this yet?
    It's ok. It smells sweet. Nothing that blew me away like CK One Shock for Him did.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Post Thanks / Like

I might be the only one but when the sales associate at the bay handed me a card sample; she gave me a weird look because of my opinion. I got syrup and waffles...weird, I know.
    It should be illegal to smell this good!

Post Thanks / Like

I had a sample and might be the only one, but I really liked it that I ended up buying a bottle (got a free duffle bag with it). It's very fresh and boozey, and I get a huge blast of cognac and mandarin mostly. Also surprisingly enough for a Calvin Klein fragrance it actually lasts quite a long time on me. Nothing to write home about but it's a pretty good scent none the less.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Caskey View Post
    I had a sample and might be the only one, but I really liked it that I ended up buying a bottle (got a free duffle bag with it). It's very fresh and boozey, and I get a huge blast of cognac and mandarin mostly. Also surprisingly enough for a Calvin Klein fragrance it actually lasts quite a long time on me. Nothing to write home about but it's a pretty good scent none the less.
    I have to agree. I sprayed some on my arm at Macy's and I really liked how it settled down. Kind of a spicy, fresh, sweet blend. I want a bottle. None of the irritating notes that are so common in most new releases. In the same vein as Contradiction and Euphoria.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tidal Wave View Post
    I might be the only one but when the sales associate at the bay handed me a card sample; she gave me a weird look because of my opinion. I got syrup and waffles...weird, I know.
    And that's a bad thing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Randall Flagg View Post
    Sounds like another step in the right direction for CK following the excellent (IMO) CK One Shock. Some interesting notes in this one. I'm happy they are moving away from generic dreck like In2U and Free.
    I agree - totally. It's an interesting thing - one of the better things I smelled last weekend. Like you say, a step in the right direction. Not as far "out there" as Shock for Him, but definitely a real masculine scent. I can imagine wearing this much more easily than Shock for Him. One thing I liked about Encounter was the fact that it wasn't as obviously "synthetic" as many CK scents of the past seem to be. I wish it was a little stronger, but not a problem - just use a couple more sprays.

I smelled Bond's new Manhattan the same day, and there are some similarities in the woody and spicy notes. Manhattan is way stronger and way more complex IMO, but clearly this is pointed in the same direction. Encounter may be a bit more masculine, and a bit cheaper, but still, I think it's a nice one.

You may want to check this out it may help you with your Close Encounter of the Fouth Kind you are all experiencing

http://www.encountercalvinklein.com/?l=en_US

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I tried a sample and quite liked it. Nothing immdeiately amazing but boozey and fresh and just....nice. For some reason on first spray it reminded me of walking passed the fragrance counters at the airport....kind of smelt like an amalgamation of pleasant scents. I've added it as a 'cheapie' to my christmas list.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm wearing this today. Well, I love the smell. It smells like a hybrid of both Euphoria Men scents. More like the first than the last. Sweet and I guess a little woody. Great scent. All that said, it is a very weak scent. I wore 4 sprays, and while I can smell it, it is a just barely there thing. I will need to experiment with different body locations and amounts until I get the application right.

I do love how it smells, though!

Post Thanks / Like

I tested this on my skin this past weekend. I wore it for about 3 hours.

The opening is loud and synthetic in a grape cough syrup sort of way. Then, about 10 minutes later the screeching top notes were gone and I enjoyed the mid notes of oud and Jasmine for about an hour. The base notes surfaced about an hour after that, and were rapidly gone. The base was not remarkable but smelled like like a nondescript modern men's scent of musky woods.

I would have considered purchasing this if the longevity were better, and the base weren't so banal. If only the whole experience could have been the mid notes!
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Post Thanks / Like

Got to try this yesterday, horrid longevity.

Post Thanks / Like

Today is about my third full day with Encounter since I bought it. At the moment I have a clear head and a clear nose, so I am smelling it a little fuller today. It is a lot like a toned-down version of Creed OS or MB Individuel when first applied. Much lighter than those scents, but the sweetness and spice remain. It's like an office-friendly version of those two. That might be the best use for this one, a great scent for work or church, when you don't want to smother people with scent. I'm wearing 4 sprays, and I'd say that it can't be detected outside of my personal space (2 feet). There is a time and place for a scent like this, just like there is a time and place for Polo, Amen and others.

Post Thanks / Like

I sampled it at the Mall nearby and i was excited to try it but was let down. maybe i was overhyped by it but wasnt too impressed with it....the only Calvin Klein worth wearing in the last 15 years is CK SHOCK IMO

Post Thanks / Like

10 times watered down Bleu de Chanel, though much sweeter than Bleu.
    Sweetness is not sweet because Encounter smells of NOTHING
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) F. Malle 1-19 2) Chanel Bel Respiro 3) TF Noir de Noir 4) Hermes Eau de Pamplemousse Rose

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel 3) Dominique Ropion

I much prefer Eternity, Obsession, and Escape to Encounter. Encounter is just blah.

I don't get any Oud in Encounter. I get more Oud from Dirty English or M7.
    Last edited by gmm150; 27th September 2012 at 11:20 PM.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I never smell Oud before, but I really like the the dry down of Encouter. Top notes are quite average/ cheap fruity sweat

Post Thanks / Like

Eternity was and still remains an iconic creation by CK. Unmistakable in its time and a benchmark for many popular fragrances. If only this winning formula could have been bottled. If only. As Encounter is not not even remotely similar to its older sibling . For such a big lauch , CK must be trying some damage control right now. Encounter is really poor and maybe one of the weakest offering yet from CK .

Post Thanks / Like

I like the smell of this one, but longevity is horrible. It's literally gone in 10 min. on my skin. Why does Calvin Klein continue to make such weak scents? I know they can do better. Just look at CK One Shock, which is easily their best scent in 20 years, and has great longevity. Why can't they manage to do this with other releases. I actually like several of their newer scents (Encounter & CK Free are both nice), but longevity on both are worse than hand soap, literally. You'd have to wash your clothes in them to get any lasting power. Just not worth the money.

I am interested in the new Shock graffiti flanker though. Hopefully it'll be on par with the original Shock in strength.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrianH1016 View Post
    Why does Calvin Klein continue to make such weak scents? I know they can do better.
    Could be because they made so much more money with the relatively short lived CK One and Contradiction. Perhaps they sell more bottles than they did with long lived successes like Eternity and Obsession. I haven't been very enthused with the longevity and projection of their releases in the last dozen years.

Or perhaps they are trying to imitate niche scents? The majority of them (with notable exceptions) don't last anywhere near as long as standard designer scents, but they sell at twice the retail price and no one seems concerned about their relatively poor longevity.
    Regards,
    Renato

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i tested it and i wasn't impressed at all.

not that i had a high expectation for the ck line.

Tried this twice. I liked it the first time, was not impressed the second.
    Now I'm awaiting the new One flanker, Street Edition

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    i tested it and i wasn't impressed at all.

not that i had a high expectation for the ck line.
    +1.

Post Thanks / Like

Judging that Ck Shock was a good release from Klein (the first after many years), and judging by the notes of Encounter, i had hopes. But the smell...oh the smell...bland, generic, boring. Projection is 0, longevity is abysmal.