Code of Conduct

Default POWER House fragrances!

Hi all,

I want "ALL" the POWER! Errrr, POWER on a budget. I have been considering (from what I have read) a UNIQUE smelling fragrance like Bogart "One Man Show" which I understand is quite powerful. I'm not sure if fragrances like Giorgio of Beverly Hills PH, Uomo? Moschino or Caron Yatagan or Caron 3rd. Man would be considered POWERFUL but, they are on my budget list. I can only (for the most part) do "blind" buys. I need to avoid TOO Vanilla, sweeeet and Flowers type fragrances. I like fragrances that are Earthy, Animal, Spice, Patchouli, Vetiver, Coffee, Wood, Leather, Tobacco, Tobacco and did I mention Tobacco ? Although I am not a fan of SWEET fragrance per se, I LOVE AG "Sables" which I don't find sweet and I also like fragrances such as Creed Millesime Imperial and LV "Dilmun" which is on the other end of the scale. At any rate, I'm looking for suggestions for fragrances that are both budget and POWER Houses and/or unique smelling (some say STINKY) and of course, DO NOT smell CHEAP despite being budget. I once owned TRUSSARDI Uomo and liked it very much if that is any help. I also really like Bulgari Black, L'Artisian DZING!, SMN "Acqua di Cuba, SMN "Nostalgia", MPG "Eau des Iles", and of course Creed Tabarome Millisime. Alas, I can't at this time afford the more unique NICHE fragrances which is why I very much appreciate something unique and (not too expensive) such as Bulgari Black. Your suggestions are much appreciated.

Regards,
    SixCats!

Default Re: POWER House fragrances!

One Man Show Gold by Bogart
    Sultan Man Gold by Jeanne Arthes

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

One word: ANTAEUS!

Antaeus is worth a look, but it isn't cheap (and I hate it). I'd suggest Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme: total powerhouse, very inexpensive for what you get, and a classic men's fragrance. And I don't think most people think it smells, in any way, cheap.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Yatagan, baby!

edit: Oh yeah, don't forget Kouros and Polo green (although I don't like Polo that much, but it is hella powerhouse). I guess this could go on for quite a long list.

With the exception of Zino, none of these suggestion are "budget" fragrances, so you may want to consider some smaller decants of multiple niche houses.

Black Afgano (Oud/Tobacco/Coffee nuances)
    Kouros
    Yatagan
    Knize Ten
    (Powerful Leather)
    Tobacco Vanille (hit or miss though for your taste, but the name says it all)
    Mazzolari Lui (Rich Spicy Amber/Patchouli bomb)
    L'air du desert Marocain
    Egosite
    Zino

Czech & Speake Cuba (Cuban cigar)
    1740 Marquis de Sade (Rich leather/Pipe Tobacco)
    Oud Cuir d’Arabie (Rich Leather/Tobacco/Oud)
    Last edited by Duke Hunt; 8th June 2012 at 06:15 PM.

Lapidus Pour Homme. You better have a hairy chest and questionable morals if you want to try and even attempt to rock this nuclear hulk manster.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Vermeil for Men
    Xeryus
    Quorum
    Oscar De La Renta Pour Lui
    Aramis
    Lapidus
    Kouros
    Parfum d'Habit (MPG)

With the exception of the MPG, all of the above should be available for less than $40 US. All are potent.

Bogart Pour Homme
    Lapidus +2

Montana Parfum d'Homme

An excellent Spicy, Woody, Leathery Powerhouse sold ridiculously cheap (currently about €10 on Amazon)

Or Quorum
    A polarising cheapo, superb in my opinion and also fulfilling the qualities you seek (cheap, powerhouse, wood, leather, tobacco, etc...)

Cool Re: POWER House fragrances!

Caron's 3rd Man might be too sweet for you. Yes, I like Bulgari Black very much too, but it's not a 'powerhouse' for me.

For that matter, Antaeus, which has rightly been suggested and which I love, IS a powerhouse but only AFTER the aldehydes settle down (15 min? 30 min?)

Quorum and Kouros are over the top love or hate scents and, unless you've brought your own firing squad and blindfold, I would not recommend buying blind. Ditto Brut, Drakkar Noir, etc.

OK, LET"S GET CHEAP!:

Tuscany Etruscan

Azzaro Ph

Yatagan? Yes, it is fun and cheap and half crazy (celery and gunpowder?) though I'd save pennies and go for Blenheim Bouquet if you can.

Aramis is spice central and good but some are put off by the fact that it's so easily recognizable.

Jacomo de Jacomo is a powerhouse clove-bomb that will kill bloodhounds within 50 feet and good for strolling in the forest of Transylvania --Good and like Yatagan, half-mad as well.

Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme? Absolutely, though you might want to do a search on what the 'real' box looks like.

I vaguely recall your mention of Tobacco I assume you've already got the brash and wonderfull green frosted Guerlian Vetiver?

BTW, you do know there's a group of Powerhouse fragrance users here at BN, right?

Oh, and Grey Flannel by Geoffrey Beene (1976) goes for about $18 on the web.

Cheers,

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Of the ones you mentioned I would probably recommend Giorgio of Beverly Hills PH.

Hi SixCats. Have you tried:
    Comme des Garcons 2Man - It's spicy, woody, and to me, quite loud. And not insanely expensive.
    Estee Lauder Azuree - leather and citrus and really powerful. Also very reasonably priced.

Avoid Uomo? Moschino if you dont want sweet, vanilla, floral.

Get One Man Show if you want stinky.

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    Antaeus is worth a look, but it isn't cheap (and I hate it). I'd suggest Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme: total powerhouse, very inexpensive for what you get, and a classic men's fragrance. And I don't think most people think it smells, in any way, cheap.
    Oh, definitely VC&A PH.

Giorgio would definitely qualify, my wife is always complaining when I dab it on.

Bogart Pour Homme is really powerful and has the tobacco note you want.

An obscure ultra powerhouse I came across a year or so ago is called 24 Karat (or Carat - can't find the bottle at the moment) by Joaquin Cortes. It's a spanish scent.
    Regards,
    Renato

Roger & Gallet Open - give it a try. Inexpensive, quite strong, and, well, I love it. You might, too.

Aramis!

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by JDBIII View Post
    Of the ones you mentioned I would probably recommend Giorgio of Beverly Hills PH.
    This is the one.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie

How about saving up and getting Serge Lutens Fumerie Turque?

Versace l'Homme

One Man Show Gold Edition

Hi all,

Thank you all for all the EXCELLENT suggestions! I will research each and every suggestion listed in this thread. OK, today I had a blast! I had time today to visited several stores and check out some fragrances. Macy's is nice but to damn expensive! I mostly use Macys for research. I then discovered (of all places) J.C. Penny's which has a VERY nice selection of fragrances. I tried 1 Million (Paco) Gucci Guilty Intense (I think that's the name) and one I have been wanting to try since my return to BN, AZZARO PH. I liked two of the three and LOVED the AZZARO PH! Still "Sophie's" at J.C. Penny's is still expensive so, I then headed back over to Marshalls (which I visited last night) and retrived/found the ONLY sealed bottle of AZZARO PH 3.4 fl oz. (that somehow was not in plain view, ummmm, I wonder how that happened ?) At any rate, now that I had just tested Azzaro PH I just couldn't pass up a large bottle for $29.00, especially when it cost forty dollars MORE at the other stores. I think the new Paco 1 Million may perhaps be stronger than Azzaro PH but, IMHO, I think the Azzaro is be a bit more refined. 1 Million seems to me to be somewhat of a cross between Le Male and Paco PH perhaps ? Still, a nice fragrance more suited for casual day and/or Club scene maybe ? I still think I'd like to own 1 Million. The Gucci is even more .....mature/refined. Man, how I missed being in the game. I'm so glad to be back!

Regards,Six

Nice to have you back, Six (even though I'm new and didn't realize you were here before...I just like your posts!).

Enjoy the Azzaro. I like that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    For tobacco: this, + Chergui!

Default indeed

Quote Originally Posted by mcurtiss:2589550
    Lalique Encre Noir
    have my agreement aswell.

Default i love chergui

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut:2590300
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    For tobacco: this, + Chergui!
    its tobacco vanille+ tea for2 + dryfruits+ bvlgRi black+ so many things+ ofcourse back to black by kilian.
    It lasts for 24+ hours and projects the whole lyf of scent.
    In my opinion is the most complex and linear at the same tym and the most aromatic niche fragrance of all time.
    I suggest you to buy one chergui rather than buying multiple shits.
    Just go for it lad....!!!

Hi all,

Hello Kagey, thank you for your kind words and.....welcome to the MADNESS! It's truly good to be back here at BN! Dear God, I can't believe it's going to be TEN years since I first joined BN. Wow. Sparky, I USE to own a "Bell" bottle of SL FT. Nice stuff to say the least. However, when I can afford another SL, it's going to be MKK. I did love the SL FT but, REALLY prefer Santa Marina Novella "Acqua Di Cuba" which is a very ACCQUIRED taste. Ken, I tried the Versace today and liked it! Mario, thanks for all your excellent suggestions as well. I did NOT know there was a POWERHOUSE group here at BN. Count me in! Oooh, I also tried ARAMIS today. I'm still kinda on the fence on the Aramis. However, I was begining to suffer Cologne OVERLOAD!

Regards,

SixCats!

Excellent suggestions from everyone so far.......

I will just repeat my personal favs:

1. Bogart Pour Homme - sweet pipe herry tobacco done right
    2. Chanel Antaeus - leather the right way
    3. Van Cleef & Arpel Pour Homme - mossy leather-tobacco
    4. Van Cleef & Arpel Tsar - green & mossy
    5. Oscar de la Renta Pour Lui - green. stylish. potent.
    6. Ysl Kouros - greatest frag ever created ?
    7. Caron Yatagan - celery stinking wet campfire with wild animals in the woods
    8. L'Occitane Eau de Baux - tobacco & vanille done better than Tobacco Vanille for 1/6 of the price
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    One word: ANTAEUS!
    This!

Hi all,

Yesterday (Saturday) I purchase a 3.4 fl. oz. bottle of AZZARO PH at Marshall's for $32.00 (tax included) which I believe is a pretty good deal. However, as much as I LOVE the fragrance (as mentioned in another thread) AZZARO PH pulls a "Houdini" near disappearing act within ONE hour on "Yours Truly" SixCats! aka The Black Hole of Scents. I'm NOT too happy about this situation. I'm thinking I'm going to have to go MID EVIL (Pulp Fiction) on it's (my Skin) and try BOGART next!

Regards,

SixCats!

Gray Flannal I think only Joop could rival the power of this scent

Cool Re: POWER House fragrances!

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Gray Flannal I think only Joop could rival the power of this scent
    True, but beware of the dark (sickly sweet) side!

Grey Flannel and original Polo get my vote. If Tuscany/Etruscan is a left hook to the jaw, Polo is a karate master's open hand heel strike to the nose sending the septum crashing into the brain. Nevertheless there's an element of refinement to it which is not to be found in more pedestrian powerhouses, eg; Carlo Corinto Classic.

Cat, the olfactory fatigue of Azzaro may be an illusion. Ask others if they smell it on you. If not, well there's Tuscany/Etruscan. I agree with Ken about Versace l'homme and I can't blame you for being on the fence about Aramis.
    Back in the day it was considered masculine but not an uber-manly powerhouse---It was . . .more refined and elegant instead!
    Suitable for formal occasions, etc.

Nowadays, it's easy to get the "Brut-Drakka Noir' curse with it: Some pot bellied middle aged man with an open collar reminiscent of Disco Stu clapping you on the back and greeting you with a "And how are you, my friend? "

Carnal Flower may be the 21st century's answer to Aramis, though I think it's more suitable for women. Not feminine, not lipstick accord or any such thing but---just smells better on them.

As usual, this is simply my humble, subjective and infallible opinion.

And while bemoaning our mutual financial condition, take a look at Naed_Nitram's review of the expensive and discontinued Macassar (I only scored a decant but it's everything it's cracked up to be and more.) This should either inspire you to achieve greater things, or just bum you out because you can't afford it--but it IS a powerhouse, if there ever was one!

Cheers. And welcome back to the madness, indeed!

Mario
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.