Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: The Mystery of Aventus.... Exposed?

I've owned Creed Aventus for over a year. Do I like it? Sure. Do I stop noticing it 3 hours after I spray it 2-3 times in the morning? Yes. Do I get compliments on it - YES.

I don't work for Creed, and most of my favourite fragrances (DHI, LIDGE, A*Men, Dior Homme Sport 2012) are designer fragrances.

I also don't 'love' Aventus...I just like it.

The truth is, I have gotten a lot of compliments off this fragrance...from attractive women.

Below is the mail I got 2 months ago over at fragrantica, where I participate more actively than here. And while I am sure there are some people who truly love Aventus, this should put things in perspective. Once again it is the freebie vs. favorable review thing, that is going on not just for perfumes but across many lines of consumer industries, also called viral
    marketing. And I think it is safe to say, that things got a bit out of hand for Aventus marketing.

"Viral marketing works on the principle that people will inform others of something they find amusing, interesting, or otherwise worthwhile of their time and then those people generally tend to tell other people and so on. The purpose of viral marketing is to attract a large amount of awareness to your website/business/brand and this awareness will turn into traffic and positive business for your site. The team at Warlock Media can produce elaborate viral marketing campaigns" (taken as example from from http://www.warlockmedia.com/viral-marketing.html). For more info, google "viral marketing agency"

And this is what I was sent on Fragrantica - hm, how could this relate to viral marketing?

Dear miner,

I read your reviews and are impressed by your level of expertise, it's not easy to hint on the neroli note in your review of abc. You've got an excellent nose! We are fragrance enthusiasts ourselves and work with a number of luxury brands. I learned that due to the vast variety of new fragrance releases and regionally limited distributions, fragrance lovers like you and me have to miss out on many opportunities simply due to lack of availability. We would like to change his.

Working with some of the finest luxury parfume houses worldwide, we get samples and testers for many new brand releases - sometimes even prior to them becoming available on the regular market. We would be happy to pass these on to you - absolutely free, no strings attached, you don't even pay for shipping. All we hope for is that you let the world know if you find a fragrance you like - just as you are already doing right now.

Interested? Just send me a PM and we'll work something out

Yours
    Benjamin Ardenough

But of course noone at basenotes as the largest fragrance-related site has ever gotten anything like this
    Last edited by miner; 18th November 2012 at 10:28 AM.
    Looked for Varvatos Artisan for several months to then find it to be one of the most simple citrus drugstore fragrances ever made

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    What's up with all the trolls in this topic?
    What's up with the trolls in the Aventus Conspiracy Thread?? I'm unsure what you expected...
    Last edited by Made in California; 18th November 2012 at 06:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by miner View Post
    Dear miner,

I read your reviews and are impressed by your level of expertise, it's not easy to hint on the neroli note in your review of abc. You've got an excellent nose! We are fragrance enthusiasts ourselves and work with a number of luxury brands. I learned that due to the vast variety of new fragrance releases and regionally limited distributions, fragrance lovers like you and me have to miss out on many opportunities simply due to lack of availability. We would like to change his.

Working with some of the finest luxury parfume houses worldwide, we get samples and testers for many new brand releases - sometimes even prior to them becoming available on the regular market. We would be happy to pass these on to you - absolutely free, no strings attached, you don't even pay for shipping. All we hope for is that you let the world know if you find a fragrance you like - just as you are already doing right now.

Interested? Just send me a PM and we'll work something out

Yours
    Benjamin Ardenough

But of course noone at basenotes as the largest fragrance-related site has ever gotten anything like this

It seems that i'll just have to sample it, as it is talked about so much.

Until now it has caused some unconscious repression in me just because of the big hype. But i'll try it. The fact it includes pineapple note is a strong indication though that i won't like it.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Can't believe I read the entire thread. Very interesting and entertaining

I think Aventus smells good and get compliments galore with it. I can accept that it smells good to the masses, but really would like to understand why something that simply smells good gets so many compliments. I have similar thoughts with Bleu de Chanel.

"It smells good in here... (thinking of air freshener)," does not count as a fragrance compliment. Sorry.

Some quite ridiculous conspiracy theories put forward by the OP. It's just very pleasing stuff. And is by FAR my most complimented fragrance. Not that I really care about compliments.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    Is Aventus an "insider joke" on Basenotes?
    *music from 2001: a space odyssey*

Default BaseNotes Mystery #1: The Case of Spectral Fragrance

Suppressor, I think in order to get to the bottom of this, you're going to need to buy a little bottle of Aventus or three (definitely get a few dif batches) and wear it many many many times. The 4oz, not the 2.5/1. This mystery is going to stay unsolved until then.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

My wife is extremely picky about the fragrances I wear. Most frags that I adore, she does not care for. Aventus, however, makes her crazy. She always says to me, "Now there's a mans fragrance."

As someone who has always been underwhelmed by Aventus, I recognize as a good scent, but not very exciting on me.