Code of Conduct

Default Closest match to Vetiver Extraordinaire - but with longevity

Hi guys!
    I've really fallen in love with Vetiver Extraordinaire but longevity is a joke!
    So I was wondering is there an alternative that smells similar but that lasts?

Also if you have smelled Encre Noir - how does that compare to it?
    Maybe this has been discussed before but hope you can share your comments anyway.

Default Re: Closest match to Vetiver Extraordinaire - but with longevity

I have not smelled anything like VE but Encre Noir is a different beast. Where VE is very green Encre Noir is dark and smoky and the vetiver note is quite bitter and sour in its smell on the drydown. It lasts for ages though. Your best bet is to obtain as many Vetiver samples as possible and see which one you like the best.

thanks man!
    I am getting some vetiver samples so I will see what I like.
    Terre'D Hermes
    Sel De Vetiver
    Vetiver Extraordinaire
    Vetiver Dance

but Encre noir is a nightmare to get a sample of. Do you have Encre noir?

I have Creed Aventus with smokey batch (and the other famous one) but
    I do really like the smokeyness so would love to give Encre Noir a try.

I'm surprised you find Vetiver Extraordinaire's longevity to be short. It lasts all day for me, I'll only ever do 2 sprays max as well, it is really quite potent. I bet other people can still smell it after you can no longer discern it.

I asked my brother to sniff it on my wrist and he hardly could detect it. Hmm. maybe I should do a test with just spraying it on my hand and not sniff it and just test it a few hours. I've heard of people that get nice longevity and others where it lacks.

The closest to VE will be Dior's Vetiver. My basis for this is that both use high levels of Haitian Vetiver and are generally green in nature as opposed to rooty or mossy.
    That said, they're not identical but very similar.

for swap/sale:

I love VE and I have the same problem as the OP. To be quite honest I still haven't found a vetiver as crisp as VE in a different frag...

I own and love Encre Noir, but if they were priced the same I would have taken VE in a second, even with its longevity problems.
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

VE is one of those fragrances that falls into comatose a couple of hours into it. I've gone through about 60ml of my bottle which is enough to confirm the fact that it can be re-activated by heating your body. I , unintentionally, have this happen to me if I go outside for a few minutes when the weather is warm or if I have a hot drink which heats up my body temp.

for swap/sale:

I find the Malle to be pretty unique among vetiver offerings out there.

Unlike Ajay, I also get a lot of longevity from VE; the perfume is very concentrated, and it feels. Perhaps it's what hedonist was saying, you need heat. We're not in the Gulf, but DC has some heat too. Also, hands aren't the best place to spray perfumes, try elsewhere.

As for Encre Noire, as others have commented, it's quite different because it has woods and darker materials. In a style similar to Encre Noire there's however Chanel Sycomore, which I prefer, because it is more natural and has a much less synthetic feel than Encre Noire.

cacio

Banned

It lasts well on me, too. With liberal application, of course. Otherwise it's quite "sublime".

Traderkraut, in which sense is sycomore similar to VE? Im genuinely curious.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by exhibitionist222 View Post
    Traderkraut, in which sense is sycomore similar to VE? Im genuinely curious.
    It is an Extraordinairy Vetiver - but with longevity!

Basenotes Plus

Sycomore is more extraordinary than Vetiver Extraordinaire but then a lot of other vetivers are......IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    It is an Extraordinairy Vetiver - but with longevity!
    Agreed. Sycomore is extraordinary but the OP is querying perfumes similar to Vetiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums.

for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

OK well no I don't think Sycomore and VE are similar. Not to me. But Sycomore is the better of these two fragrances with "vetiver" in their names.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Agreed. Sycomore is extraordinary but the OP is querying perfumes similar to Vetiver Extraordinaire by Editions de Parfums.
    ...in that case I advise him either to accept the beautiful (and maybe better)but slightly different Vetiver Sycomore, or to take the bottle Vetiver Extraordinaire with him and re-apply whenever he does not smell it anymore...!

I don't have any longevity issues with Vetiver Extraordinaire but a valid solution for you, could be to apply it both on skin and on fabric...There is nothing exactly similar to the Malle.

On a side note, if a straight forward vetiver is what you're after, you could give a chance to LesNez Turtle Vetiver Front. It's not similar to VE at all but it's incredibly tenacious.
    Last edited by alfarom; 9th June 2012 at 09:27 PM.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I don't have any longevity issues with Vetiver Extraordinaire but a valid solution for you, could be to apply it both on skin and on fabric...There is nothing exactly similar to the Malle.

On a side note, if a straight forward vetiver if what you're after, you could give a chance to LesNez Turtle Vetiver Front. It's not similar to VE at all but it's incredibly tenacious.
    And Turtle Vetiver Front is also very fine

I am a big fan of Grey Vetiver
    its a more elegant vetiver compared to the brightness of VE
    longevity isnt too great either, but most quality vetiver don't do very well in that dept either
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your efforts in replying and helping me. Maybe there is no problems with longevity but that after like 2.5 - 3 hrs I can not smell it anymore. I was thinking that I should spray it on my clothes to give it a shot, I could totally do that because I really love the fragrance so much that if this is a good solution then I can imagine doing it.

Here is my test list for fragrances of vetiver
    FM: Vetiver Extraordinaire
    TDC: Sel de Vetiver
    Hermes: Terre D'Hermes
    Lalique: Encre Noir
    Etro's Vetiver
    Creed; Original Vetiver
    Turle Vetiver Front
    TF: Grey Vetiver
    Diors Vetiver

Somehow it feels like I've found something and not really interested in trying other things but I will be getting Sel de Vetiver in the mail soon, I already have Terre D'Hermes and Vetiver Extraordinaire so I will be testing those out.

According to what people have said it seems that I would not be a fan of Encre Noir, even though I love the smokey batch of Creed Aventus Z01 (so maybe I would enjoy Encre Noir). I think I might need to try out Sycamore as well been hearing so much, some say it's good other that it sucks.

Longevity can also be caused that I have not test-driven this in the real heat but hey, I live in Sweden not hot that many months but this is more of a personal fragrance I will use at home when reading a nice book or something like that.
    Last edited by Ajay83; 10th June 2012 at 11:51 PM.

if anybody has encre noir, chanel sycomore, diors vetiver, grey vetiver - can you please email me at:
    fragranceswappers@gmail.com
    (dont need to have all but best if so)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Ajay83 View Post

Here is my test list for fragrances of vetiver
    FM: Vetiver Extraordinaire
    TDC: Sel de Vetiver
    Hermes: Terre D'Hermes
    Lalique: Encre Noir
    Etro's Vetiver
    Creed; Original Vetiver
    Turle Vetiver Front
    TF: Grey Vetiver
    Diors Vetiver

Turtle Vetiver Front is the class of this field. Don't forget Sycomore, Guerlain or Mona di Orio. And there are others worth a try. And do not forget Miller Harris Vetiver Bourbon. The true beauty. IMHO

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    The closest to VE will be Dior's Vetiver. My basis for this is that both use high levels of Haitian Vetiver and are generally green in nature as opposed to rooty or mossy.
    That said, they're not identical but very similar.
    +1 ^

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    -1 ^

duplicate post

Quote Originally Posted by Ajay83 View Post
    Hi guys!
    I've really fallen in love with Vetiver Extraordinaire but longevity is a joke!
    So I was wondering is there an alternative that smells similar but that lasts?

Also if you have smelled Encre Noir - how does that compare to it?
    Maybe this has been discussed before but hope you can share your comments anyway.
    That's strange. VE lasts 12+ hours on me

It's incredibly weird, in the beginning I can detect it strong of course then it gradually fades away and after like 3-4 max it's gone. I'll do a new test, just came from the gym and will spray it after the shower as many say thats the best time and see just how long it will last but maybe my nose just can't detect it after a while. Since this is not a crowd pleaser it's one of those fragrances I wanted to buy just for myself to sniff.

Regarding longevity there seems to be 2 groups:
    The ones that get crazy long longevity
    The ones that it lasts like 3-4 hours (or maybe these just dont detect it any longer)

Spraying immediately after showering is not the best way to increase longevity. The skin is very dry. It's best to wait some time.

cacio

thanks, I learn something every day. Ok after 3 hrs I can't detect this on myself, not even on my clothes - maybe my nose just blocks it out. I'm probably going to skip buying Vetiver Extraordinaire. Might go with Terre D'Hermes instead, it's very nice. Will test it for longevity but heard it lasts really long time.

After I took a shower I took a bath - in vetiver extraordinaire but still got same results.
    Other fragrances I can detect many times if they last but not this and it's fairly hot in Sweden today.

Anyway I'll be moving away from it - maybe Encre Noir or Diors Vetiver or something else will make me excited again.
    Those seems like the most interesting to me and I am able to get Encre Noir really dirt cheap 100 ml. Who knows
    I might like it more even more - sometimes you gotta kill your darling and find new ones.

How would you guys compare Terre D'Hermes with Encre Noir. I have a sample of Terre here so it might just give me a hint on how Encre Noir is compared to it?

Vetiver Tonka from Hermes - what's the best weather to use that sucker?

Really TdH and Encre Noire are very different. I find Givenchy's Vetyver, in its sharp grassiness, closest to VE (which, incidentally, I find just as faint and short-lived as you do).

Ok thanks m8!
    I'll still order Encre Noir sample from a guy I know and give it a go.

So I think it will come down to:
    Encre Noir
    Terre D'Hermes
    Dior Vetiver - if I can get a sample from them
    Sel de Vetiver - waiting for sample
    Chanel Sycomore might be good but maybe not what I'm searching for plus impossible to get in Sweden