Code of Conduct

Default Any Perfumes that Smell of Vintage Flex Shampoo

Does anyone know of a perfume that smells of the Revlon Flex Shampoo popular in the late 70's/early 80's? It is a comforting memory for me, and it smelled so good! Sometimes I like to depart from the complex fragrances and have a little nostalgia!

Default Re: Any Perfumes that Smell of Vintage Flex Shampoo

Yes, I used Flex back in the day and loved the scent. Here are two perfumes that come to mind:

Coty Wild Musk Oil (apparently now discontinued but check on ebay) and the drydown of Estee Lauder Private Collection Amber Ylang edp.

I have both and they remind me a great deal of Flex!

The original Flex shampoo fragrance was based on Shalimar (as was the Original Mr. Sheen).

I remember it from the 80s, and it did have an oriental vibe.

I own Coty Wild Musk Oil, and no. Not Shalimar either, it is too amber. Flex was more spicy.

My mum used Mr.Sheen never thought about it supposing to smell like Shalimar. I use the wipes now and they are lavender.
    DONNA

Blog Entries

l used Flex back in the day, too! l only have a vague memory of the smell though. l am intrigued to read that it was based on Shalimar; l never made that connection myself. But now that l come to think of it, l think it did have hints of amber & vanilla, & maybe citrus... l will be interested to see what other answers you might get.

Welcome to basenotes, Michelle!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Thanks for your replies! Wild musk, in it's current incarnation. (I guess it has been reformulated?), does not smell like Flex, but it does smell like the mid 80s, to me. Perhaps the discontinued oil had hat special scent. I think of Flex as a mix of amber, soft musk, vanilla, sandalwood, and perhaps orange? I never really thought Flex smelled like Shalimar, but now that you mention it I can see how they could relate in the ambery vanilla notes...but Flex definitely had a different signature, in my memory...less vanilla, more sandalwood? It was a great shampoo scent in that it was warm but had that freshness that felt clean and cozy!

I will have to see if I can smell the Estée Lauder Amber Ylang sometime!

Thanks everyone. It's funny how a scent pops into memory and I want nothing more than to relive it!

I kind of wonder if the old Wild Musk and Flex could have one of the "banned" musks in common, and that is why the current Wild Musk does not smell like Flex?

I wish Flex was still around. It was the bet shampoo and conditioner range for curly hair. It's the only hair care range that ever gave me shiny looks.

Welcome Michelle. Great post

Quote Originally Posted by Alityke View Post
    I wish Flex was still around. It was the bet shampoo and conditioner range for curly hair. It's the only hair care range that ever gave me shiny looks.

Welcome Michelle. Great post
    Thanks Alityke. I have curly hair too, it is so hard to find good products! I like Lush Cynthia Silvia Stout, even though it smells like beer and patchouli and not ambery sandalwood!

Coty Wild Musk oil was one of the first fragrances I ever worn. About 8 years ago a friend managed to get me a bottle from the US, I still have it.
    DONNA

queen of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle_H View Post
    Thanks Alityke. I have curly hair too, it is so hard to find good products! I like Lush Cynthia Silvia Stout, even though it smells like beer and patchouli and not ambery sandalwood!
    There's a product names for a Shel Silverstein poem? That is hilarious.
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

LOL I have Flex shampoo in my shower for nostalgia! I can't remember the early 80's scent however
    It's been a long hot Summer in Sydney, looking forward to Winter & wearing vanilla fragrances.
    http://DiaryOfAPerfumeAddict.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by KeLLsTar View Post
    LOL I have Flex shampoo in my shower for nostalgia! I can't remember the early 80's scent however
    Where did you get it? I loved that shampoo.

It was great! I've never pay attention u till a friend pointed it out. Maybe, just maybe try Amarige by Givenchy, veeery light sprayed. Spray in the air once, and then walk into it, it's very strong. You'll get florals too, but there's something there that reminds me of Flex.

And please share your findings, I'm interested too!
    Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.

I got it from a Revlon warehouse sale a few years back, they had crates of it.
    It's been a long hot Summer in Sydney, looking forward to Winter & wearing vanilla fragrances.
    http://DiaryOfAPerfumeAddict.blogspot.com/