Code of Conduct

Default At What Point Do You "Own" A Fragrance?

This is, of course, a matter of personal opinion, but at what point do you feel you can truly call a fragrance yours? I'm talking specifically about the volume of the juice in your possession. Obviously, owning a bottle, no matter how full, is a given. But what about decants? Where is the line between a sample and decant? Can you truly claim to own a fragrance if you don't have the bottle? Are splits viable contenders? Again, not looking for a definitive answer—just curious about what everyone thinks!

Default Re: At What Point Do You "Own" A Fragrance?

Awesome thread! Ive often wondered this myself. Really looking forward to reading some answers on here. In my opinion, if you have more than .25 oz of juice.. you own the fragrance
    Current top 3:
    1) Gucci Pour Homme II
    2) Givenchy Play Intense
    3) Dolce & Gabbana The One

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

My opinion is that you own the fragrance if you have it to wear it (rather than just to test, sniff, compare, reference etc.)

This is why some bottles I have but am not wearing end up on my "used to own" list, even though they are still with me...they have one foot out the door, so to speak.

But your wardrobe is for your own use, so organize it however it best serves your purposes.

I've always felt that for me having anything less than a bottle in my possession was not owning the fragrances regardless of the volume of liquid.

How about if your decant gives you 20 proper wearings. I'd say that is a perfume you own.

for swap/sale:

For me, I have many 10ml atomizers... however I only refer to those as samples or 'I have some of that'. Personally, it's only when I hit a 30ml decant, which in theory could be a small bottle if they made it, that I'd actually sort of lie and say 'I have a bottle of that'... in which case I have probably 25-30 'bottles' that are really decants
    NEW SPLIT - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Blog Entries

I generally figure if I have enough to give away a sample, I still own it. So samples and small decants, I don't consider really being "owned". In practice, probably no less than 15 mL, which is my smallest bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    How about if your decant gives you 20 proper wearings. I'd say that is a perfume you own.
    This sounds about right.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Blog Entries

Lightbulb Re: At What Point Do You "Own" A Fragrance?

When a fragrance becomes a fragrance representation of who you are, a signature if you will, then it is endowed with your personal stamp of ownership. For me Mitsouko is such a fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    This sounds about right.
    In agreement.
    "You can ignore reality, but you can't ignore the consequences of ignoring reality." - Ayn Rand

"I hold it that a little rebellion now and then is a good thing, and as necessary in the political world as storms in the physical...It is a medicine necessary for the sound health of government." - Thomas Jefferson

Gotta own the bottle in my opinion. The bottle is part of the presentation associated with the release. I say this as someone who actually owns very few bottles and hundreds of decants. A decant means you're still a tourist to the frag, unwilling to commit and own it. Just my opinion though.

I, for one, have never felt right about saying I owned something without having an ORIGINAL bottle. That is the primary reason that I have stayed well away from splits. However, I have received a few bottles via swaps and such that were less than half full (about 20 ml left in one, in particular) that I added to my 'OWN' list. At the same time I have about 40 ml of Nş19 (various sources—some new, some vintage), yet I am hesitant to say I own Nş19. Its an interesting dilemma. I have often wondered how many splits and decants are counted among users' wardrobes.

15ml.

For me I own a bottle when I have 30ml or more of it in the original retail packaging. I don't count samples and decants, mainly because I keep my bottles in their boxes and like having the real bottle; it's a bit like drinking beer from a wine glass in my opinion; it just doesn't feel right unless the juice is housed in the vessel intended!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I've always felt that for me having anything less than a bottle in my possession was not owning the fragrances regardless of the volume of liquid.
    Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    Gotta own the bottle in my opinion. The bottle is part of the presentation associated with the release.... A decant means you're still a tourist to the frag, unwilling to commit and own it. Just my opinion though.
    Quote Originally Posted by andregooren View Post
    I, for one, have never felt right about saying I owned something without having an ORIGINAL bottle.
    These ^^^^^^^^

Once the juice is separated from its original vessel, it becomes merely a taster cup, so to speak. Would you say you own Châteauneuf-du-Pape if I put it in a jar and sold it to you for you to sample or enjoy at your leisure?

Only if I have the original bottle do I own the fragrance and list it under Collection. I have some large decants of 30-40 ml, I always put them under Samples, the guiding principle for me is the bottle, if it's not the original it's not going into the Collection.

I started dithering when I got some minis from Hermes, though, but in the end I decided minis are used for gifts or promotion, they are not original bottles, I put all minis under Samples.

I don't feel I own a scent unless I have a 15ml or greater bottle. I do have several 15ml and 20ml bottles, which means I can wear a scent for at least two weeks. If I counted vials, I'd "own" a hundred more scents than whatever it is I currently own.

However, I do have 20 vials each of Ungaro 1 and Ungaro11, so as they add up to nearly 30mls, I feel I own them too.
    Regards,
    Renato

Generally, full bottles, while I do own samples, they are so many and diversified, I never bothered to even keep track of them, let alone consider that I own them.

Anything over 10ml I consider I own it as it can take me ages to get through it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Anything over 10ml I consider I own it as it can take me ages to get through it.
    This.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

lol, just want to say we're a weird bunch of people
    NEW SPLIT - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

30 mls in my opinion, unless you're talking about Puredistance M, in which case 15 mls applies.

I have a few 50ml decants that were part of a split, and I claim to "own" those frags, but feel a little funny about it. I'm kind of with the "original bottle, original packaging" crowd.

I agree with several others: if I have a decant or a sample from the store, I list it as a 'sample'; if I have a bottle of the scent, then it goes under 'collection.'

If I faintly smell a fragrance wafting from a stranger as they walk past in the street, I feel I own it.

25 ml or more I guess. A drawing-the-line problem - I full bottle obviously qualifies, 1 ml sample vial doesn't.

Same here. I figure that if I own enough of a scent to last me a year or more as part of my current rotation, then I own the fragrance. I have dozens of actual bottles from which I have have used less than 10ml, so splits/decants starting at about the 10 to 15ml range represent a realistic size of a fragrance for me to "own".

Personally, I think 10ml is enough to justify ownership of a fragrance. That is roughly 80-100 sprays or 26-33 wearings if you spray 3 times...which is more than just a sample IMHO.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

With so many of rotating through dozens of scents, if I have 10ml of something, it will last probably months unless I really love it and burn through the decant quickly. If that's the case, I will likely buy a full bottle.

So I consider 10ml or more to be owning a scent.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Agreed.

You have to own an original bottle of the juice to claim that you actually own the juice !
    If you have 10 decants of 5 ml of Tobacco Vanille, you still do not own it, you just have a bunch of testers......
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

It's really interesting reading so many different opinions.

Some focus on having the original bottle, others on the number of mls in their possession, others on the amount of time or number of wearings it will take to use it up, and I focus on the use/purpose of the scent (wearing vs. testing/reference) even thought I do own mostly original bottles and only rarely get a decant.

It's just as well the OP wasn't looking for a definitive answer, since there isn't one!

Basenotes Plus

Good reading. Many different takes... reminds me of the recent thread about "where do you put your minis"

Some scents come in sizes less than 30 ml- although they might call it a travel size. (Hermessence & JHAG for example) To me that's still a bottle.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

for me personally when i own the bottle no matter what amount of juice =P

For myself, "owning" a particular fragrance describes a certain mental state of mind, more than being based on how much of the stuff I possess.

From a practical standpoint, if I sample something, and then like it enough to make the effort to get more (even if it's a 5-10 ml decant) simply the fact that I went to the trouble to obtain that extra amount shifts it into my mental "own" category.

The moment it is in my possession.

I used to be in the group that followed the school of thought that one has to own the actual bottle to say they own a fragrance, but then I started to consider what would happen if someone bought say a bottle of Aventus with 5 ml left. That IMO would not constitute owning a fragrance.

To me, if you own at least 25 ml of juice in a bottle, you got yourself a fragrance. After all, it's the juice that matters in the end.
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Hmm, I'm in the 25 ml camp, regardless if it's an original bottle or decant. I'm more conflicted on how much I need of a frag to take it off my wish list.

Of course, the category "Own" is simply an arbitrary artifact of the way the Basenotes wardrobe feature happens to be set up. There is no "College of Fragrance Wardrobes" setting standards here.

On another thread, mentioned above, a Talmudic discussion like this one which dealt with how to classify mini's, a 7 ml. cut off for an "own" was proposed. On my personal, off-line spreadsheets, I put everything in a single list and note the sizes (of which there are often two or more, or several bottles) which I own of each fragrance so I can keep track of them. But on Basenotes I list anything that comes in a bottle as an "own" and everything that comes in a vial as a "sample." I don't buy splits or decants so that doesn't come into it. I usually think of an "own" as a lifetime supply, even if it is just a mini.

Unless Basenotes decides to become dictatorial about this, what you list as an "own" is really up to you. I've noticed that some people are already asking for a "decant" section to the Basenotes Wardrobe template.
    Last edited by BurgundyMarsh; 11th June 2012 at 03:01 AM.

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    30 mls in my opinion, unless you're talking about Puredistance M, in which case 15 mls applies.

I have a few 50ml decants that were part of a split, and I claim to "own" those frags, but feel a little funny about it. I'm kind of with the "original bottle, original packaging" crowd.
    I feel almost the same way about splits. In general, any extrait that is an original bottle - 7.5ml and up - I count.

If I have a 10ml decant or larger I list it as a sample. Vials I don't count at all.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

1oz for me, enough fragrance to not have to worry about conserving. The vessel it comes in doesn't matter to me, only the juice does.

This

Man, some people take this way too seriously...my system is way less rigid. If I feel like it should be in the sample category it is, if it's something I consider owned well that's where I put that.

If you do it by the amount of liquid you have, well then when you get down to the last few sprays are you going to count that as a sample? If you pay $50 for 5mL of Vintage Tabarome did you not pay more for that then the $5 bottle of Nautica Voyage you claim to own? If you break a bottle and save the liquid, is that now a sample because you don't have the original bottle anymore?

I count all my 15ml Hermes bottles as owned, I count my 10ml travel sprays of Frederic Malle as owned, I have a bunch of 9 ml Creed decants I count as samples, I have 10ml travel refills of The Different Company that I count as owned. My cutoff must be 10ml, although I did buy a bottle that had less than 10ml left and it's on my own list

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    Man, some people take this way too seriously...my system is way less rigid. If I feel like it should be in the sample category it is, if it's something I consider owned well that's where I put that.

If you do it by the amount of liquid you have, well then when you get down to the last few sprays are you going to count that as a sample? If you pay $50 for 5mL of Vintage Tabarome did you not pay more for that then the $5 bottle of Nautica Voyage you claim to own? If you break a bottle and save the liquid, is that now a sample because you don't have the original bottle anymore?

I count all my 15ml Hermes bottles as owned, I count my 10ml travel sprays of Frederic Malle as owned, I have a bunch of 9 ml Creed decants I count as samples, I have 10ml travel refills of The Different Company that I count as owned. My cutoff must be 10ml, although I did buy a bottle that had less than 10ml left and it's on my own list
    I see what you're saying but......
    Let's say you tell someone that you own Vintage Tabarome, he or she is mighty impressed, says that's really interesting, could he or she see it?
    You pull out your 5mls of Vintage Tabarome, he or she starts laughing.
    Do you really own it?

Or would you have instead said you own a sample of Vintage Tabarome in the first place?
    Cheers,
    Renato

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I don't show my perfume bottles to anyone anyway-- they're in a mini fridge, not on display-- so there is no one to be impressed, or to laugh.

If I am looking at another member's wardrobe to get an idea of their taste and what they like to wear, the "own" list is the one that tells me that. Their "samples" list may tell me what they are curious about, which they may not turn out to like at all.

Only (big) bottles for me.
    Another interesting question: At what point do the fragrances own you? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I see what you're saying but......
    Let's say you tell someone that you own Vintage Tabarome, he or she is mighty impressed, says that's really interesting, could he or she see it?
    You pull out your 5mls of Vintage Tabarome, he or she starts laughing.
    Do you really own it?

Or would you have instead said you own a sample of Vintage Tabarome in the first place?
    Cheers,
    Renato
    Anyone that you tell that to would understand the price. I'm not saying people don't think differently, but I would claim that I own that.

Quote Originally Posted by easyfish View Post
    Another interesting question: At what point do the fragrances own you? ;-)
    200ml Cuir De Russie.... I do whatever the hell it tells me to

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    200ml Cuir De Russie.... I do whatever the hell it tells me to
    Haha love it. My mistress is called Goyard Loooool

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

The ownership begins when you reach for it often. Be it in full bottle, mini or decant. Even sample, if you plan to buy it ASAP.

To define "ownership" with the relationship, not with the display of various sizes.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Slightly off topic, but another little nuance along similar lines that bugs me is, when you 'de-list' a sample here on BN, it automatically flips over into your 'I used to own this' list! NO! I didn't used to own this; I used to have a sample of it.......!