Code of Conduct

Default Programme Homme by Lancome

Hello Gents,

Could anyone out there let me know the notes of this fragrance please?

Also, what do you think of it? What type of fragrance is it?

Many thanks,

K.
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: Programme Homme by Lancome

I remember it as being a bit like Azzaro Pour Homme and Kouros (meaning perhaps 25% of each and 50% unique); perhaps Carrington Cologne is the closest, but there are several in this general direction. Only if you are dissatisfied with all the others and for some reason thought that this was the one that would work where the others failed is it worth going out of your way to sample, IMO. Good quality but not unique enough for me, and I like others better, such as Joint for Men, vintage Zino, Lauder for Men, etc., whereas I'm not a big fan of Azzaro PH or Kouros.

Thank you Bigsly. I could find nothing about this and am interested.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a modified version of my Fragrantica review, which I had to put in the Sagamore section because PH isn't in their database:

...some claim is the same fragrance [as Sagamore]:

[PH] starts off as a fairly traditional aromatic fougere of the 1980s, possibly closest to Azzaro Pour Homme, but with a touch of Kouros as well. That lasts for a couple of hours. What sets it apart is how nicely blended it is, relative to others of this genre, because it has that "manly" quality without becoming irritating in any way. After a couple of hours it gradually transitions into a a superb base that clearly has some castoreum. There is also dry/dusty patchouli and a spice element. Other notes are the "supporting cast," with a clear floral aspect. The lavender (from the fougere type opening) lasts a long time and there is a subtle woody presence. It's definitely not especially sweet. A couple hours later, it smells a bit like Acteur at the same point in development, which is dry, woody, slightly powdery, floral, and with a touch of sweetness. I prefer this to vintage Antaeus, for example, because I view that as more of a "mansweat" fragrance, whereas PH has more complexity and dynamism. One Man Show, on the other hand, has more distinct notes, but is far cruder (especially up top), with inferior blending (and likely inferior ingredients).

Some have said this is identical to Sagamore. The notes to that one are listed as:

"Top notes are lavender, clary sage, petit grain, bergamot and lemon; middle notes are carnation, ginger, cinnamon, jasmine, lily-of-the-valley, rose and geranium; base notes are sandalwood, amber, patchouli, musk, benzoin, vanilla and styrax."

However, if Sagamore does not contain castoreum, then I can't imagine these two being identical. Also, PH seems to have an anisic quality in the top notes. Otherwise, the notes could be the same. It certainly seems that PH has patchouli, a wood note, geranium, and florals. Ginger and cinnamon seem right as well. So, PH goes from being a little rough (for a couple hours), in the typical aromatic fougere way, to being a kind of fougere/Oriental hybrid. There is a bit of a "cream" effect but not enough to make it boring. Projection ("sillage") varies, from being strong at first to being moderate/good several hours later. However, that is with one or two sprays. Longevity is excellent.

Thank you! As always you are a wealth of information!

Don't know about the notes but I currently have a large spray of Programme Homme in my collection and it doesn't smell anything like Sagamore of which I have the original also in a large spray in my collection. Both very nice scents by the way.

Dependent

Programme Homme is a distinct and different frag from Sagamore. That note list Bigsly mentioned is definitely off the mark. Sagamore is much more sweet, rich and floral. Also, I feel the comparisons so far are pretty distant. Kouros is somewhat relevant, but Programme does not have that sweet incense and floral accord in the heart of Kouros. Programme does not have Azzaro pH's birch tar "leather" or anise.

I would call Programme an animalic aromatic fougere. I found the following notes for it, and I completely agree with them:

Lemon, Basil, Lime
    geranium, oakmoss, provençal lavender
    Labdanum, oliban resins

I detect the addition of a prominent animalic accord that features ambergris and musk to my nose, possibly also honey and civet. Not sure I get castoreum but synthetic animalics don't always point in a specific direction. I don't get anything else unlisted. To me, the oakmoss, lavender, and animalic accord are the stars of the composition. You definitely can't make a frag like this in the age of IFRA restrictions. It's somewhat transparent, very green and animalic, earthy, and not very sweet -- just enough geranium to keep it from being harsh.

In case you can't tell, Programme Homme is very much to my taste. I'm so pleased I was able to procure Bigsly's bottle!

I have a vintage Sagamore which I really like. Honey and civet I hear you say Monkeybars? This changes things! Sounds wonderful!!!!! Thank you Monkeybars for the notes and description!!!!

Ooh, thanks MB. It sounds great!