Code of Conduct

Question Mosieur de givenchy ( many compliments ) ; vetiver givenchy , givenchy iii, gentleman...incensé... W

What is your opinion about.
    Can they replace a " niche " fragance ??
    Are they good contenders..?

Default Re: Mosieur de givenchy ( many compliments ) ; vetiver givenchy , givenchy iii, gentleman...incensé.

I think Givenchy Vetiver is a masterpiece and better than Guerlain imo. I'm not sure what you ask, if they can replace niche fragrances? In terms of quality? I don't think niche fragrances are necessarily better, they are just more creative, or odd if you want. So, designer or niche doesn't matter, designers can contend with niche and vice versa. It boils down to the specific scent and how it works for you.

Default Re: Mosieur de givenchy ( many compliments ) ; vetiver givenchy , givenchy iii, gentleman...incensé.

Never tested one of them, but especially Monsieur and Vetiver were recommended to me as outstanding, especially for a fan of classic scents like I am.

With the exception of Monsieur which is very good but not as distinctive as the others, they're all terrific fragrances and surely among my favorites. I'm a HUGE fan of older Givenchys.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I am greatly devoted to Monsieur de Givenchy, which nothing else quite resembles. It is perfectly composed, and, of the line, the one that Hubert de Givenchy designed for himself. Gentleman was for his seemingly (one would have to extrapolate) somewhat libertine brother. Monsieur de Givenchy is very tasteful indeed, and on the shortlist of fragrances I do not ever wish to be without. 'Niche' is a rather artificial concept. I prefer Monsieur de Givenchy to many perfumes that would be considered niche, yes.

Quote Originally Posted by PWJ View Post
    I think Givenchy Vetiver is a masterpiece and better than Guerlain imo.
    I don't think niche fragrances are necessarily better, they are just more . . . . odd if you want.
    Couldn't have been stated better. Sometimes ' niche ' tries a little too hard, just to be different.

Banned

Vintage Givenchy Gentleman is unrivaled, niche or otherwise.

Sound Scents

The vintage versions of Monsieur de Givenchy and Givenchy Gentleman can hold their own against just about anything, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

One of the best houses out there...
    Mark K

Have to say I like them all and count them all as part of my collection.

Another recommendation for Givenchy vetyver One of the best vetivers out there - up there with Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire. And for the price this one just can't be beaten - not even by Guerlain!

I have just bought a couple of vintage bottles of, incensé now this, is my fave from that house

Givenchy Gentlemen is a really good patchouli dominated fragrance.

I have them all except Monsieur de Givenchy and they are all classics. Givenchy Gentleman is one of the classiest fragrances of all time IMO.
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monsieur de Givenchy is great. It's a musky combination of Aqua di Parma Colonia and Dunhill (1934), with extra powder. If you like that combo, you'll love it. Personally, I love it. Great summer fragrance. You can wear this all day and still go to dinner.

"Can they replace a " niche " fragance ??"

What the hell does that mean?
    Last edited by Mysterion; 11th June 2012 at 12:55 PM.

Sorry to ressurect an old thread but I'll just say that if any (though I'm not familiar with Vetiver) of these vintage Givenchy scents were made by a niche company they could fetch the highest of prices. I just wish they were easier to find.