Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: $35 > for a Father's Day scent. What do you recommend?

I appreciate you guys weighing in. Can I get some opinions on Cartier Pasha Fraicher Menthe. Seems that it would be similar to Live Jazz. Anyone care to compare/contrast?

Live Jazz sorta scares me, after reading a thread about blind buying it. Several people spoke out about a cilantro note in the fragrance that rubbed them the wrong way. This makes me kinda hesitant on blind buying it. I wish there was somewhere I could try it. The description of Live Jazz reminds me of Lagerfeld Kapsule Light, which I have, and Pasha Fraicher Menthe, which I've tried and like. Both have a citrus + mint thing going on, which I think is appropriate for this season, and fitting for an older guy. The mint seems to add a more mature smell. So I'm strongly considering the Pasha as well. I'll try it this week once more to help with my decision...

from your list, I would go with Live Jazz, but overstock.com has Bvlgari Black for under $35; a great buy.

I dislike Bvlgari Black. Mcurtis, how safe a buy is Live Jazz? I mean, is there ANY reason why a 60+ year old man would not like it?

I think its a pretty safe buy.

Has to be Live Jazz. CK One Shock smells too much like disinfectant to me. I gave away most of my samples to a kid at work.

I like both Live Jazz & CK One Shock (obviously LJ is better for summer & Shock is more appropriate for winter though). I don't think either would be a bad choice. As far as Live Jazz vs. Pasha Menthe; I own Live Jazz & I've sampled Pasha Menthe, and to me they aren't really that similar. The Cartier is more mature and "old school" smelling, while Live Jazz is more modern and much lighter & fresher. Live Jazz, to me, is basically lemon, rhubarb and sweet spearmint on top, with a middle dominated by fresh cilantro with the mint, citrus & tangy rhubarb in the background. It dries down to a fresh, kind of metallic/sparkling base with a a bit of ambergris & touch of vanilla. It's very green and fresh, but also has a sweetness to it. Also, the mint note in Live Jazz is a sweeter spearmint note more reminiscent of chewing gum type mint than fresh mint or menthol (as the Cartier fragrances feature).
    I personally love it more than Pasha or Roadster myself, but I tend to like fresh scents. Also, I do love cilantro as well (and it is the most prominent note in Live Jazz). It might be worth sampling first though as three of the main notes (cilantro, rhubarb, & mint) all tend to be polarizing, love or hate notes for many.

Also, speaking of CK One Shock & 1 Million. I know it's above your price point, but Carolina Herrara's 212 VIP Men is another great choice in that type of scent. It's very similar to 1 Million, but kinda holds that fruity bubblegum note longer into the mid & drydown.

Thanx Brian! Hmm...You Live Jazz fans are making this hard! lol I may end up rolling a dice! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    Thanx Brian! Hmm...You Live Jazz fans are making this hard! lol I may end up rolling a dice! lol
    I agree with some others on here about the herbal cilantro note. You'd be much better off with Cartier Roadster if you have any doubts.

Man........okay...I'ma read a few more reviews on the Live Jazz, and also Pasha MF. Roadster, I don't recall liking as much as the Pasha MF, so...I'm kinda leaning more towards the Pasha.

Go for Live Jazz. Great all year round scent.
    La vita θ breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can, I would go with Pour Un Homme.

It's 4.2 oz for $27.50 at Parfum1 now plus a 15% discount for Fathers' Day.

How great is that?!

http://www.parfum1.com/
    "No elegance is possible without it...perfume is a part of you." Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    If you can, I would go with Pour Un Homme...
    Here’s your definitive answer.

I promise you, Pour Un Homme smells JUST LIKE the restroom at the community center I work out at. I would never buy that for anyone. Sorry guys. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by larwiz View Post
    i promise you, pour un homme smells just like the restroom at the community center i work out at. I would never buy that for anyone. Sorry guys. :-(
    lmao!!!
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears".

ACJIGGA'S FAVORITES - Creed Royal Mayfair, Le Labo Rose 31, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Xerjoff Nio, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Bruno Fazzolari Lampblack, Montale Mr. Aoud, Montale Aoud Musk, Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa Oud, Olympic Orchids Blackbird, Slumberhouse Jeke extrait & Profumum del Forte Ambra Mediterranea

AC, it's horrible bro. lol First time I smelled it, I was wracking my brain, trying to remember where I had smelled the exact same scent. I shook my head when I realized that the place was IN A RESTROOM! I can't have my dad wearing a scent that smells like a restroom man. Can't do it. lol

Man, I think I have decided on CK One Shock. For 200 ml, $35 is a darn good price, and for a good fragrance. Live Jazz, I haven't smelled, which makes me nervous. So I'll probably go with this. I'm gonna see if Sephora has it. If so, I'll get a sample and have him try it. If he likes it, it's a buy!