Code of Conduct

Default I'm starting to prefer the new formulation of GIVENCHY GENTLEMAN

I wore vintage GG for years in the 90s, and now I've been also wearing the current version of GG. I've loved both versions, but slightly preferred the vintage juice simply because it's a little stronger and more daring. In fact, when I first tried the new GG, I was disappointed at first because it wasn't as bold or strong as the old stuff.

However, I'm starting to prefer the new juice. Today, I'm wearing vintage GG, and though I love it, I don't find it quite as well blended as the new version. Also, I detect almost no leather in the old version, where it's very prominent in the new version, and I love the smell of leather. The new GG reminds me of Knize Ten if it had tons of patchouli and civet. I think Givenchy did an excellent job refomulating this.

Anyone else dig the new version more than the earlier versions of Gentleman?
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Default Re: I'm starting to prefer the new formulation of GIVENCHY GENTLEMAN

Same to me !! I love both , the drydown of Vintage is unique and unequaled ,
    but the new formulation is like a Mens version of Cuir de Russie / Knize Ten ... fresh and mature .
    For me is one of the best Value fragrances for price .

I have never tried the vintage but the new one is a favorite of mine. I like the leather on the opening as well as the dominant patchouli note. I like how the civet kicks in at the basenotes just a tad to finish the fragrance off with a muskyness that stays close to the skin at that stage. Excellent fragrance.

on my test list now that you've mentioned it shamu! though i know you don't throw a fit when a fav of yours is reformulated. i think i'm okay with most reformulations too.
    “A beautiful perfume is the one which gives us a shock: a sensory one followed by a psychological one."

Edmond Roudnitska (1905—1996)

I needed to spend a lot of time with the new juice to really get into it. It's not as in-your-face as it used to be, so its charms are a bit more subtle and refined, though I wouldn't call it a subtle fragrance. I just find the new GG a little bit more rewarding than the old, mainly because of the big leather presence in it now.

let me begin by saying that - i absolutely love both the version. to an extent i treat them as two different scents.

What i like about Vintage: it's sweeter and smells much more powdery and full bodied. i have never sniffed a patchouli scent this beautiful. i think i like it better coz it's sweet accords are to my exact liking...maybe the juice has matured with age.

What i like about current formulation: it's drier with just a hint of sweetness. it smells very crisp and powdery.

given a choice, i would keep vintage.

Interesting...thanks. Now I'm not as heartbroken about probably having the get the new version for my next bottle!

Does is still have that "hot" feel to it? That heat is totally unique in the scent world. It isn't spice, just this white-hot, piercing, radiant glow...not sure what creates that aura, I just know I like it.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    Interesting...thanks. Now I'm not as heartbroken about probably having the get the new version for my next bottle!

Does is still have that "hot" feel to it? That heat is totally unique in the scent world. It isn't spice, just this white-hot, piercing, radiant glow...not sure what creates that aura, I just know I like it.
    Eh, I don't think the new juice has quite that hot feeling. I think I know what you mean by "hot" - the old stuff has this kind of prickly aromatic quality to it that I believe comes from the patchouli. I suppose I could say it's a "hot" smell. The patchouli in the old juice smelled more raw, whereas in the new juice it's smooth, though extremely prominent. It's not piercing, like the old stuff could be at times off and on. The civet is still pretty strong, though.

Only have the old and love it. Have no need for another.

Sur la Plage

It's a pale shadow of its former self.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    My favorite fragrance quote!

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I wouldn't call it a subtle fragrance. .
    Me neither. A great, blaring, monotone foghorn of a frag. A scrubber.

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    My favorite fragrance quote!
    Yes. I know.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post

Hey LiveJazz, I was thinking again about your comment about the "hot" or "glowing" note in vintage GG. I think the note you're coming up with is honey. That glow you're talking about is something I also smell in Kouros, Boss No. 1 and Lapidus PH, and honey is what does it, I think. I totally get that same smell big time in the vintage GG, but I don't get it as much in the new juice. Give it a chance, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I have never tried the vintage but the new one is a favorite of mine. I like the leather on the opening as well as the dominant patchouli note. I like how the civet kicks in at the basenotes just a tad to finish the fragrance off with a muskyness that stays close to the skin at that stage. Excellent fragrance.
    I go with jack , also.... the new one is enough powerhouse.
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

FourOfKind

The vintage was real masterpiece, but the current formulation is still masterpiece. Vintage was more laethery and brutal, current is elegant, leathery fragrance with rose and honey. Better than 99,99% current fragrances. The sillage is quite enough and longevity of the new version on me is about 10h.

I'm with you Shamu!
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Just like me. A pale shadow of my former self.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph View Post
    Me neither. A great, blaring, monotone foghorn of a frag. A scrubber.
    LOL!

I just had to laugh when I read this. Honestly, one day when I wore a bit too much of my vintage to work a few years back, I had to scrub it during midday, because it was knocking people over on the elevator - sort of like a... well, a great, blaring, monotone foghorn!

Still, a most excellent scrubber!

I have and wear both the vintage and the current, often at the same time. While they are a little different, I'd be hard pressed to say one is better than the other. Both are fantastic!
    Mark K

I must admit I find myself wearing the new version more than the vintage. Don't get me wrong, I love the vintage formulation - it's undoubtedly 'dirtier', more 'out there' and has more of an old-school feel with its powdery drydown. However, as Shamu points out, the new version has more up front leather and it just smells smooth, seamlessly blended and more refined than the vintage. In terms of successful reformulations GG is a benchmark fragrance. In my opinion Givenchy Gentleman is probably one of the best (and most distinctive) men's fragrances ever produced.

GivenchyGentleman2.jpg

I have only the new version, and I am very fond of it. It's been in heavy rotation in my wardrobe lately. Might just wear some today. Glad I'm not the only one loving it.

I can't wait to hear what le mouchoir de monsieur has to say on this subject ... btw I picked up 4 x 50ml vintage the other day and the stuff is just purely insane!

Quote Originally Posted by MaxHeadroom View Post
    I can't wait to hear what le mouchoir de monsieur has to say on this subject ... btw I picked up 4 x 50ml vintage the other day and the stuff is just purely insane!
    Yes, I always look forward to our own Mouchoirs' opinions!
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basenotes Plus

Interesting thread put forth. My situation with Givenchy Gentleman is specific and I now have both Vintage and Current formulations.

I concur with Jack Hunter's abbreviated note breakdown here on Givenchy Gentleman. However, I'm a purist - and try to understand scent from a "Vintage, First"-perspective. So, when purchasing a significantly important and classic scent like Givenchy Gentleman, I sought-out Vintage...first. I had to. I was extremely lucky to get a full 100ml squat Vintage bottle that has been discussed here on BN as "intermediate vintage" - it has the wrap-around silver label and a tremendous explosion of deep, brooding patchouli (the best ever in a "mainstream"/designer fragrance), beautifully incorporated civet, honey, some elegantly spiced florals (with a deep rose in the heart) and the dry down to leather. Near perfection in a bottle!!!

I was able to get a smaller bottle that was nearly full (85% full 50ml squat bottle) - "intermediate vintage" as well and in excellent form! Then, I got a set of Older Vintage EdT and After Shave (both 100ml spray bottles). They had been kept stored for over 25 years - no air in the bottles to let them breathe...they were somewhat musty, but still Vintage GG. Not "true form". The notes were dried. I also got another used 100ml bottle (thank you, AromiErotici!) that I believe is older Vintage that was VERY well cared for and in brilliant form.

So, I came to a conclusion - with the top notes muted in the Old Set of Vintage EdT and After Shave, I would buy current formulation and layer. The civet is still there - along with a burned patchouli note. The florals are dried...the leather is cracking. But, there is still life and even incorporating air into the bottles will help (as it already has to some degree). My hope is to apply a nice base of Vintage and then layer the current formulation on top and bring it to life!

With a single shot on my left arm of current formulation, I am pretty sure this will work pretty well (and hopefully even better than I expect)! I tried layering 'perfect' Vintage and found that the civet would become too pronounced and the preserved juice was losing its "magic" when blended with the bottles that are muted. So, to bring that dampness and top and heart notes back to life, this makes sense. Current formulation GG has less civet, richer leather, nice honey and a more velvety feel. The florals are there, but under the dark patchouli and heavier leather - plenty of spices too. Well done!

This perspective has worked with other bottles of Vintage fragrance that were predominately base notes and I layered either current or more recent formulation fragrance to bring the scent pyramid together. Here's hoping...a candle is lit.

Irrespective - I am a firm believer that Vintage Givenchy Gentleman, in true-form, is absolutely stunning! The current juice, however, is really good (excellent actually) and very, very wearable. It is not Vintage - but then again, one could make the argument it is one of the best reformulated bottles of classic fragrance on the market today. Not the power or longevity of what it used to be - but perhaps just what I need...and, hopefully, ideal for layering.

Cheers!

ericrico

PS (to Jack Hunter) - Try Vintage Givenchy Gentleman if you have not...it is worth searching out!

Last edited by ericrico; 12th June 2012 at 04:28 PM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Basenotes Plus

Excellent point Derbyman -

I think that Vintage is undoubtedly 'dirtier' and more 'out there' as you put it. The old-school, retro-vibe is cranked to full volume. I think this is not a matter of which is better, but which one YOU prefer wearing for the occasion. And, hopefully, doesn't "wear you". Givenchy Gentleman can be a misnomer - rather brutish chap he is in a bottle. A gentleman that will greet people from across the room with a slap in the face of their olfactory senses if one is not careful. I put a little more current formulation on today, by itself. It lasted on the top of my arm for around 5-6 hours. 1 full spray and then a bit more, same spot - spray about the size of one's thumbnail (ie. concentrated) and very slightly rubbed in. I wanted to see how it would slowly develop. I must say, this is one brilliant scent and a rare treat - a reformulation that does a fantastic job of bringing yesteryear's classic into the modern world of fragrance, yet keeping it very true-to-form and distinct - but some things have definitely changed. The civet is turned down and the leather is plush here - like I said before...I am getting a velvety/suede vibe...it smells of rough-cut leather of high quality. The patchouli is brilliant - not as smoky as before (some people got even a tobacco accord with the honey blended in Vintage - I didn't)...but definitely wonderfully rich and dark. I am very content with the reformulation for what it is. The bottle you show in your picture is the same shape as the one that I have (from AromiErotici) and is in fantastic form - about 60%+ full (but 100ml size)! True-to-form composition and stored perfectly.

The set of EdT and After Shave came in tall, but thinner bottles - they are rare to even find in that shape bottle. The After Shave is truer-to-form (less civet in the composition), but still needs to breathe a bit, I feel (some would probably say it is perfect or close to perfect). The EdT, while not bad at all - has some of that "old cupboard" aroma/mustiness (dry cedar?) that many people get with Vintage bottles. However, I have been lucky in finding brilliantly kept ones from private collections - so one gets used to finding rare treasures perfectly preserved.

On the same spot on my left arm, I just did a single spray application of the Vintage After Shave followed by a single-spray application of the Vintage EdT. Not bad - still some mustiness, but things are improving with air (but this could take several months to years to open up, depending on how I use it, store it, and integrate the air). I sprayed 2 FULL shots from a bit of distance of current formulation over the top to find out if this is going to be good...about 5 minutes in as notes are settling and 25+ year old juice is intermingling with current formulation. Hmmmm....mustiness has dissipated, and rather quickly. Civet has been turned down - as I find civet in current formulation as a well-integrated note deep in the heart (not loud on the top and not prominent in the dry down but leading you into the base notes - a note that transitions the fragrance rather than dominates it). Citrus is actually here (!), along with warm patchouli (but not too dark - a compromise) met with cinnamon. 10-15 minutes - interesting, as the patchouli is less rich than before (in current formulation alone) but the honey, spices and florals are breathing now. This is very intriguing. It makes me think that perhaps another shot or two of current formulation would be fine to amplify the volume of the patchouli, but would I lose what I'm getting out of the Vintage bottles that was drier before? This is serious - no doubt, Givenchy Gentleman! I smell the blend and feel that the current is doing all that I could hope for (if not more). The leather is there, but waiting - an undertone...I am looking for it. 20 minutes: Funny - the cinnamon and honey want to stay and florals are trying to show, but can't quite make it to the forefront. There is more depth and power coming in now from the base as I am getting an interesting blend...honey covered moss and vetiver with a light civet (no cupboard smell - good!) and the spices continue to sparkle. Citrus has faded. Patchouli warm and still pumping, breathing on my skin. 30 minutes - the undertone of leather is pushing up with a woody note of nice vetiver and a nice slightly dusty cedar. Another two notes to mention...at 45 minutes to 1 hour, the cinnamon fades and the honey blends into a smooth amber accord - very warm. With that, as Jack Hunter pointed out - a very nice "muskyness". I would say a blend of the civet with a not-so-clean musk here at the end of the heart going into dry down. Leather showing stronger at 90 minutes. Patchouli has stayed throughout. Never got a burned or smoked accord, but it got deeper into the heart.

Success. To correct the ratio in a full-wearing. I will apply a nice 3-4 shot layer of the Vintage After Shave Spray (with a neutral balm to "dampen" the overall vibe from the start.) Wait for it to settle for 5-10 minutes and then apply just 2-3 shots of Vintage EdT from this bottle. I believe the correct ratio is 2:1 or a bit more with current formulation on top. So, 5-7 sprays of current formulation and I will be radiating this blend, which is unto itself fantastic. It is a great blend of Vintage and current - really taking any dryness out of the older bottles and adding even more depth to the wearing. One thing I did find a bit lacking today in just wearing the current formulation was that it was a bit linear. Really, a two-stage composition where the Top and Heart offer a small amount of notes besides the patchouli, honey and spices (ironically, the citrus and florals showed far better layered with the Vintage fragrance). Then, the leather came in pronounced with the civet transition and musk. I didn't get vetiver in current formulation - if I did, it was covered up by the dark patchouli or leather. It became insignificant. Here, my arm is radiating at over 90 minutes...mind you, this is my first attempt at layering and I went with what made sense. It was damn close to perfect to my tastes! 2 hours - patchouli finally lightens a bit and the warm musk, amber and wood continue with a nice touch of civet (again, not dry!)

We shall see. With the several bottles of true-to-form Vintage (which I will not dare layer with current), the 100ml set that sprang to life in the layering and then current by itself, I am going to enjoy the many facets, nuances and "flavors" of Givenchy Gentleman for some time ahead...!

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    I must admit I find myself wearing the new version more than the vintage. Don't get me wrong, I love the vintage formulation - it's undoubtedly 'dirtier', more 'out there' and has more of an old-school feel with its powdery drydown. However, as Shamu points out, the new version has more up front leather and it just smells smooth, seamlessly blended and more refined than the vintage. In terms of successful reformulations GG is a benchmark fragrance. In my opinion Givenchy Gentleman is probably one of the best (and most distinctive) men's fragrances ever produced.

GivenchyGentleman2.jpg
    Last edited by ericrico; 12th June 2012 at 04:20 PM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

Ericrico you have reawakened my desire to wear Givenchy Gentleman again after so long and its my SOTD. I once searched for the vintage but it was hard to come by but I am more than happy with the current formulation. Great fragrance!

Basenotes Plus

Fantastic...good luck in your search.

They say the best things in life are the ones worth seeking out. In this case, it cannot be more true. Enjoy your wearing today and know that I admire your comments, posts and reviews. Glad I awoke that desire...

This was a fantastic experience for me. I ended up staying up late, just to enjoy the wearing as it lasted well into the night! I had no need or reason to apply any more scent, so I did not. It was fantastic and I am very happy with the assorted bottles of Givenchy Gentleman I have been blessed to find.

I will say this - while Hubert de Givenchy made this scent for his brother James Taffin, who lived in London in 1974 (some people argue over the year of release)...he really made it, in my opinion to showcase what refined masculinity is all about. Power, elegance, richness - but most importantly, class. It as relevant today as it ever was and showcases to the fragrance world that reformulation does not have to be the death of a classic fragrance, but a modern interpretation that maintains respect and taste.

Cheers.

Ericrico you have reawakened my desire to wear Givenchy Gentleman again after so long and its my SOTD. I once searched for the vintage but it was hard to come by but I am more than happy with the current formulation. Great fragrance!