Code of Conduct

Default $35 > for a Father's Day scent. What do you recommend?

So the budget isn't great, but I know I can get something decent online for around this price. Right now, I have in mind the following:

1. Azzaro Chrome Legend. My dad use to wear the original Chrome, and liked it. I then got him a Chrome Legend oil that he liked and finished. So I was thinking about buying him the actual cologne. Only thing is, I'm not sure if it is under my budget online.

2. Cannabis Santal by Fresh. I remember recieving a sample of this, and liking it. It had a kinda menthol/minty vibe to it, but kinda sweet gourmandy as well. I'm kinda iffy about this one, since it's warm right now, and it may be a little much for this season.

3. YSL Jazz or Live Jazz. I hear a lot of good things about it from you guys, but have yet to try it myself. And I hear they're fairly inexpensize.

4. One of the Cartier boys. Roadster, Pasha, or one of their lighter flankers.

5. One of the C.O. Bigelow scents from Bath & Body Works. I tried several the other day, and like 1 of them quite a bit.

6. Ck One Shock. Short-lived, but nice scent. If I can find it for cheap, I'll probably get one for myself too. Plus, I know he liked 1 Million, and this is kinda similar.

So you know, he likes and owns Cool Water, use to have Dolce & Gabanna (ran out), use to own Obsession & Eternity YEARS ago, Loves my Amouage Reflection and won't stop borrowing it...lol There's a scent that I remember people saying smelled similar to Reflection. Not Fluer De Male or Arabian Nights tho...Will do a search and see what comes up.

But yeah, any suggestions???

Default Re: $35 > for a Father's Day scent. What do you recommend?

Oh Wow!!! Amazon.com has a 200 ml bottle of shock for $35!!! Yo, that might be the one!!! Someone please convince me why this should NOT be the choice (other than the fact that the bottle is tacky...lol).

Because Live Jazz is a much better choice. Right time of year too.

Live Jazz is around the same price too. Hmm...Decisions, decisions. We'll see how this thread plays out. Kinda tempted to grab that Shock tho!

Go for quality over quantity. Putting more on won't make it smell better.

Banned
    Blog Entries

If you are limited to only $35, the best scent you can get at that price-line is The Dreamer.

Hi Lar,

I think something "Classy" is in order for a Dad. Off the top of my head (budget wise) I'd go for something like a 1.7 oz. bottle of
    Givenchy "GENTLEMAN". Wonderful fragrance. Plug Givenchy Gentleman into the BN "Fragrance Directory" finder and I believe you'll this one will fit your budget. Also nice is Guerlain "HERITAGE". Oooh, if you think your Dad might like something with a 1980's kick, a REAL nice Italian Fragrance (on sale and under budget) is TRUSSARDI UOMO. Come to think of it, I need another bottle of Trussardi Uomo myself! AWESOME fragrance! Again, plug in Trussardi Uomo on the Fragrance finder and you'll discover where it is on sale. Don't wait too long however. Best of luck. Let us know what you decide.

Regards,
    SixCats!

Live Jazz is a good choice and occassionally you can find "Rive Gauche" in that price range as well.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    If you are limited to only $35, the best scent you can get at that price-line is The Dreamer.
    My dad doesn't really care for the Dreamer, which I actually own.

Quote Originally Posted by SixCats View Post
    Hi Lar,

I think something "Classy" is in order for a Dad. Off the top of my head (budget wise) I'd go for something like a 1.7 oz. bottle of
    Givenchy "GENTLEMAN". Wonderful fragrance. Plug Givenchy Gentleman into the BN "Fragrance Directory" finder and I believe you'll this one will fit your budget. Also nice is Guerlain "HERITAGE". Oooh, if you think your Dad might like something with a 1980's kick, a REAL nice Italian Fragrance (on sale and under budget) is TRUSSARDI UOMO. Come to think of it, I need another bottle of Trussardi Uomo myself! AWESOME fragrance! Again, plug in Trussardi Uomo on the Fragrance finder and you'll discover where it is on sale. Don't wait too long however. Best of luck. Let us know what you decide.

Regards,
    SixCats!
    I've heard good things about Givenchy Gentleman, so I'll see the reviews and weight my options. My dad doesn't seem to be into 80's powerhouse type of frags, so I'll hold off on the Uomo. But thanx for the recommendation.

So I see Live Jazz has fans. :-) Let me peek at some reviews...

If he loves the Amouage Reflection, and if you have enough available in your bottle, why not spend the $35 on a decent atomizer and fill it with a decant of that for him? It's a sure thing (since he likes that frag) and then he will have his own and will stop borrowing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by SMCinJPN View Post
    If he loves the Amouage Reflection, and if you have enough available in your bottle, why not spend the $35 on a decent atomizer and fill it with a decant of that for him? It's a sure thing (since he likes that frag) and then he will have his own and will stop borrowing yours.
    As opposed to buying a fullsize bottle of something that he may like equally? Ehh...I think I'll get a fll bottle. Besides, I don't wanna support him smelling like "me", so...lol

Roadster is a classy choice, and almost nothing smells like it. Can be had for $38 shipped BNIB from Meidy on ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by Larwiz View Post
    So I see Live Jazz has fans. :-) Let me peek at some reviews...
    If your dad want to reek of synthetic cilantro then get Live Jazz. It is not good. Get the giant cheap bottle of CK Shock. He sound like sort of a hip guy and if he liked 1 Milly then he should love it.

CK One Shock isn't a bad choice. I've been tempted to get it myself a few times.

Yeah Hep. He seems to like the more contemporary stuff. I would just get him 1 Million, since he really liked the sample I had, but I have this thing about really popular fragrances. And CK One, I thought was really nice, and had a similar smell, so I'm thinking he'll enjoy it. I can see him wearing one of the Cartier scents too, so I wanna price those as well. Live Jazz, I'm kinda iffy about, cuz I've never smelled it, and I'm not too big on blind buys...

Quote Originally Posted by Tappio View Post
    CK One Shock isn't a bad choice. I've been tempted to get it myself a few times.
    I wasn't expecting much from it, to tell you the truth. But when I tried it, I was like wow! I could see this being a best seller! I figured I'd probably end up owning it at some point. I am very tempted to pull the trigger on this, TWICE! One for dad, one for me!

I wasn't expecting much from it, to tell you the truth. But when I tried it, I was like wow! I could see this being a best seller! I figured I'd probably end up owning it at some point. I am very tempted to pull the trigger on this, TWICE! One for dad, one for me!
    Yeah, I was pretty surprised when I started to see some strong recommendations from people on here for it last winter. I likely wouldn't have even sampled it had I not heard so much good buzz for it. And if your dad is the kind of guy who keeps only one (or just a handful) of fragrances on hand, then an affordable 200 ml is a pretty solid choice, as it will definitely last until next Father's Day!

Same here. I saw it mentioned in a thread, and went to try it that same day at the Macy's beside my workplace. I was rather surprised by it! So if my dad really likes a fragrance, he'll mainly wear that. But if he's going to church, he'll mostly switch it up from week to week to see if one gets him more/less compliments. Smh lol A friend of mine game me a bottle of Michel Germain Sexual Sugar Daddy, and I didn't quite like it, so I gave it to him. He actually likes it quite a bit, and says he gets crazy compliments when he wears it.

Okay, so I know a few of you are in favor of Live Jazz, but right now, I'm actually pretty sure it's either gonna be CK One Shock or Cartier Pasha Fraicher Menthe. I tried this one recently, I found it to be really fresh and appropriate for an older gentleman. And it seems awfully similar to Live Jazz too, with the citrus + mint theme. So I'ma price this as well and see...

Larwiz,

I recommend that you not buy such cheaply priced fragrances on
    Amazon. You never know what you are going to get. That goes the same for Target. I've made some bad choices in the past.

I would much rather you purchase something from Macys or Walmart. Walmart has a huge male fragrance directory. If your dad likes tobacco scents Mustang by Estee Lauder is a really nice scent at a very low price. Otherwise Cartier or Live Jazz is a great option.

* Have you considered a CARON fragrance ? Those are in your price range and highly admired on this and other fragrance websites. Por Un Homme is a classic from the 20's.

By the way thanks for the haywardenterprises link.

I've tried the Caron scents. Bought and then swapped 3rd Man. I liked L'Anarchiste quite a bit though. May look into that. I've actually bought and recommended the purchase of several fragrances on Amazon, with absolutely no problem. Key is to make sure that the seller has a high rating. 95% and up. So did you make a purchase on any of the scents?

If he likes 1 Million, Ted Lapidus Black Soul has a 1 Million vibe, but is spicier, less sweet, and much easier to wear. It's $24 shipped on Ebay and for that price it's a steal.

Black Soul. Gotcha! Will read the reviews...

Live Jazz

So did you make a purchase on any of the scents?
    I am waiting on a friend to order from hayward (cheaper).

Live Jazz from your list...modern in a sporty way but elegant enough for a man 40+ to wear. It just wasn't for me. Smelled nice on other people though.
    Last edited by thatmakesscents; 11th June 2012 at 05:16 AM.

From your list Live Jazz for sure, but my choise is Vetiver Guerlain

---
    I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?djmzds

Banned

cK One Shock for Him by Calvin Klein - One is initially treated to a mildly fresh accord. Clementine, with its sweet orangey and faint floral facets, lavender with its clean, herbal character, as well as cucumber, with its medicinal, sea-like aspect, all commingle in a brisk concoction. A cloud of something, perhaps aldehydes or the cryptic, energy drink accent, imparts an effervescence to the invigorating blend. Transitioning to the heart, a field day with herbs is had. Leafy, black basil, with its licorice accent, vivacious and woody black pepper as well as mildly spicy and sweet cardamom encase the opening. A nascent tobacco serves as a backdrop to the herbal jubilation. Segueing to the base, the rich and spicy tobacco has come into full bloom, while an earthy mustiness of patchouli flitters about. A pleasant ambrene wood infuses its laurel-like, sweet and spicy, woody overtures. And, a casheran musk imparts its velvety, somewhat floral bouquet. An enjoyable drydown ensues. This versatile composition is an all-season scent with average projection and average longevity, 6-8 hours. Its favorable price point makes this fragrance even more welcomed.

or

Live Jazz by Yves Saint Laurent - One is initially treated to a citric blast of bittersweetness from tangy grapefruit and zesty lemon. Sweet spearmint invades the citrus duet, and, with its brightness, fosters a refreshing and cooling sensation. This invigorating medley brews for a spell before meandering to the adaptive middle. Here, in the heart, heaps of coriander, with its spicy and faintly sweet grassiness, commingle with the tart and vegetal rhubarb leaf, and envelop the opening concoction infusing it with warmth and greenness. A faint strawlike something twinkles in the background, along with the minty citrus. Transitioning to the waiting base, dusty and dry cedar, somewhat floral and honeyed ambergris and a tinge of vanilla intermingle to generate a pleasing drydown. This all-season composition has average projection, after an hour becoming a skin scent, and longevity, 5-8 hours. In view of the foregoing as well as its favorable price point and wonderful versatility, an enthusiastic "thumbs up" is warranted.

Jazz or Live Jazz seem like the most appropriate and at the same time, great value for money choices. Both are stylish, suave, distinguished scents, available at mere fractions of what their real value amounts to (good quality fragrance notes and a genuine difference form generic designer crowd pleasers).

Anyway, congratulations on my behalf to your father and have fun purchasing, choosing and gifting!

I appreciate you guys weighing in. Can I get some opinions on Cartier Pasha Fraicher Menthe. Seems that it would be similar to Live Jazz. Anyone care to compare/contrast?

Live Jazz sorta scares me, after reading a thread about blind buying it. Several people spoke out about a cilantro note in the fragrance that rubbed them the wrong way. This makes me kinda hesitant on blind buying it. I wish there was somewhere I could try it. The description of Live Jazz reminds me of Lagerfeld Kapsule Light, which I have, and Pasha Fraicher Menthe, which I've tried and like. Both have a citrus + mint thing going on, which I think is appropriate for this season, and fitting for an older guy. The mint seems to add a more mature smell. So I'm strongly considering the Pasha as well. I'll try it this week once more to help with my decision...

from your list, I would go with Live Jazz, but overstock.com has Bvlgari Black for under $35; a great buy.

I dislike Bvlgari Black. Mcurtis, how safe a buy is Live Jazz? I mean, is there ANY reason why a 60+ year old man would not like it?

I think its a pretty safe buy.

Has to be Live Jazz. CK One Shock smells too much like disinfectant to me. I gave away most of my samples to a kid at work.

I like both Live Jazz & CK One Shock (obviously LJ is better for summer & Shock is more appropriate for winter though). I don't think either would be a bad choice. As far as Live Jazz vs. Pasha Menthe; I own Live Jazz & I've sampled Pasha Menthe, and to me they aren't really that similar. The Cartier is more mature and "old school" smelling, while Live Jazz is more modern and much lighter & fresher. Live Jazz, to me, is basically lemon, rhubarb and sweet spearmint on top, with a middle dominated by fresh cilantro with the mint, citrus & tangy rhubarb in the background. It dries down to a fresh, kind of metallic/sparkling base with a a bit of ambergris & touch of vanilla. It's very green and fresh, but also has a sweetness to it. Also, the mint note in Live Jazz is a sweeter spearmint note more reminiscent of chewing gum type mint than fresh mint or menthol (as the Cartier fragrances feature).
    I personally love it more than Pasha or Roadster myself, but I tend to like fresh scents. Also, I do love cilantro as well (and it is the most prominent note in Live Jazz). It might be worth sampling first though as three of the main notes (cilantro, rhubarb, & mint) all tend to be polarizing, love or hate notes for many.

Also, speaking of CK One Shock & 1 Million. I know it's above your price point, but Carolina Herrara's 212 VIP Men is another great choice in that type of scent. It's very similar to 1 Million, but kinda holds that fruity bubblegum note longer into the mid & drydown.

Thanx Brian! Hmm...You Live Jazz fans are making this hard! lol I may end up rolling a dice! lol

Thanx Brian! Hmm...You Live Jazz fans are making this hard! lol I may end up rolling a dice! lol
    I agree with some others on here about the herbal cilantro note. You'd be much better off with Cartier Roadster if you have any doubts.

Man........okay...I'ma read a few more reviews on the Live Jazz, and also Pasha MF. Roadster, I don't recall liking as much as the Pasha MF, so...I'm kinda leaning more towards the Pasha.

Go for Live Jazz. Great all year round scent.
    La vita č breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you can, I would go with Pour Un Homme.

It's 4.2 oz for $27.50 at Parfum1 now plus a 15% discount for Fathers' Day.

How great is that?!

http://www.parfum1.com/
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    If you can, I would go with Pour Un Homme...
    Here’s your definitive answer.

I promise you, Pour Un Homme smells JUST LIKE the restroom at the community center I work out at. I would never buy that for anyone. Sorry guys. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by larwiz View Post
    i promise you, pour un homme smells just like the restroom at the community center i work out at. I would never buy that for anyone. Sorry guys. :-(
    lmao!!!
    "Smell with your nose, not your ears."

ACJIGGA'S FAVORITES - Xerjoff Nio, Profumum Roma Acqua Viva, Neil Morris for Takashimaya, Sonoma Scent Studio Champagne de Bois, Creed Green Irish Tweed, Terre d'Hermes Parfum, Yves Saint Laurent Rive Gauche Pour Homme, Calvin Klein Obsession for Men (vintage), Acqua di Parma Oud & Slumberhouse Jeke extrait

AC, it's horrible bro. lol First time I smelled it, I was wracking my brain, trying to remember where I had smelled the exact same scent. I shook my head when I realized that the place was IN A RESTROOM! I can't have my dad wearing a scent that smells like a restroom man. Can't do it. lol

Man, I think I have decided on CK One Shock. For 200 ml, $35 is a darn good price, and for a good fragrance. Live Jazz, I haven't smelled, which makes me nervous. So I'll probably go with this. I'm gonna see if Sephora has it. If so, I'll get a sample and have him try it. If he likes it, it's a buy!