Code of Conduct

Default Where do you draw the line?

How do you know when/if you have a problem? 100 fragrances? 1,000? 5,000? Is it possible? In the end, how far would you take this? Are you looking for something specific? I am completely aware of threads re the reasons for wearing fragrance. This is a question about how important it is to you. Would you spend your last money? Divorce for it? Elope for it? How far would you go?
    Last edited by Mysterion; 11th June 2012 at 11:43 AM.

Default Re: Where do you draw the line?

I draw the line at the price. There are only so many relatively low cost fragrances that are delicious.

Roger that. Thanks.
    Last edited by Mysterion; 11th June 2012 at 11:24 AM.

I guess for me it would be when I no longer have an interest or the passion has gone.

I want to explore, there's not really an end-goal for me.

"Too much" would be if I started sacrificing basics (relationships, money, food, home, health) for perfume.
    Perfume appeals to my nose the way music appeals to my ears, exquisite food to my taste buds, photography to my eyes, and great loving from my man to my sense of touch.

I can safely conclude, then, that PERFUME IS ART in its purest form.

As an artist, I therefore have a responsibility to buy as much perfume as I can. You know, to learn about art and all.

http://www.sheblogsitall.com

hednic & zubi - Thanks.
    Last edited by Mysterion; 11th June 2012 at 11:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I guess for me it would be when I no longer have an interest or the passion has gone.
    I agree.
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, koala.

Blog Entries

It doesn't matter where the thread is located-- we can still see it by clicking on new posts. This is a thread about the hobby, not about perfumes, really, so I could see it being here.

Replying to the topic, with any hobby, I try not to go so overboard that it harms my life as a whole. That is my limit. I would not sacrifice my marriage to my hobbies, nor any of my close relationships. I would not go into debt for it, either. I probably push the envelope most in staying up late to read and post when I undoubtedly should be getting more sleep.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 11th June 2012 at 02:20 PM. Reason: no longer relevant

Thank you. Good answer.

My problem would only be if I lacked the cash to buy frags in the first place, but then, like I said, I wouldn't buy any fragrances at all. Thus, if I were to own, say 100 or 1000 different frags, it would be, more important than anything else, a sign of financial prosperity. Since I would only dare to purchase and own that many bottles if my house way paid off, most or all of my taxes and debts settles, most long-term and high-value goods purchased way before scents, some cash and other investments on the side, plus still some disposable income freely available. But since achieving all this at the same time is yet to come in a more distant future, the thought of owning as many frags as to "draw a line" is also far ahead.

My main advice, main suggestion and main concern is: "First the major expenses, investments and savings and should the credit score, the banking balance and the overall financial situation still be prosperous, sane and sustainable: free to indulge in scents".
    If not, should the opposite apply, first take hold of the cash and solve stringent problems and indulge in hobbies strictly after the hard work is done.

Number of perfumes has nothing to do with it. As others say, if it starts to get in the way of your life, your well-being, the ability to buy food or pay rent, that's a problem. If it's bringing you more stress and unhappiness than enjoyment, that's a problem. If you feel like you've lost control of the situation, that's a problem.

I think most people here aren't in that boat, but just about anything can become an unhealthy obsession or addiction for the wrong person at the wrong time.

And that applies even if money isn't an issue. If you're looking to fill some hole in your life by buying loads of stuff, it won't make you happy.

Keep everything in perspective, remember what's important, and enjoy.

Ken & Kagey, good answers, thanks.

At a certain point, the collection would get too large to store easily and too extensive to enjoy properly. My guess is that I will top out at around 120-150 "owns." I certainly wouldn't spend my last dollar or do any of those other things. And this is far from being my only collection, so the others will eventually demand more attention. For me, this is a collection to wear and enjoy not just to have on a shelf.

Thanks for the replies, all. Good answers.
    Last edited by Mysterion; 12th June 2012 at 10:09 PM.

Blog Entries

There is a struggle. When I was younger, more and more scents were added, it was the path of discovery. Right now, I have reached a plateau. The discovery was done, and there are not that many different scents that I must have that would not be duplications. So, that provided a natural stopping point.
    Always I have had a taste for investing. And when the Dividend Reinvestment Plans produced, that was a bigger thrill than scents could have provided. To see something grow and be in charge of that. To be the master of your money. Great feeling.

I suspect that some people are attached to scents to make up for some sort of inadequacy, and only the person herself/himself knows whether that is true. Those should seek professional help to get over that addiction.

All others, enjoy the road.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

For the record this is by no means a problem for me personally. Just a philosophical question. Thanks for the replies, all.

Ernie Gallo's Fragrance Abuse Clinic

OK, this definitely belongs here. I didn't see this category or I would have put the post here.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    I draw the line at the price. There are only so many relatively low cost fragrances that are delicious.
    What this man says ^

I've been recently spending more time with low cost scents and it really has opened my eyes.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterion View Post
    How do you know when/if you have a problem? 100 fragrances? 1,000? 5,000? Is it possible? In the end, how far would you take this? Are you looking for something specific? I am completely aware of threads re the reasons for wearing fragrance. This is a question about how important it is to you. Would you spend your last money? Divorce for it? Elope for it? How far would you go?
    I find that i can only get my head around a wardrobe of 40 or so frags. The moment I realize that I have so many that I can't actually consider them all when making my choice, I have to start jettisoning. As a novice, I also have lots of samples that are very helpful for exploring different lines and training my nose; but I also find them to be a burden, and I hope to unload all of them at some point and focus just on my bottles.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterion View Post
    I guess it depends on your situation.

If you are going into debt or living on very little income because you spend a lot of money on frags, then that's bad.

But more importantly, your time. If you spend more than 10 hrs a week on frags, unless its part of your career, then thats too much.

I've actually hit some sort of line right now... I've had over 76 bottles at one time. I will soon be starting a new career... but I've just about had it with the search and am considering seriously delving into olfactory alchemy on a personal level. Suddenly, in the back of my mind, I can hear the lines from the old Frankenstein movie in my head... "yes, it could work....", " its alive, ALIVE!!"

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Yes, purchasing fragrances is like an expedition. A new journey, a new experience. Just keep that experience within your means.

Quote Originally Posted by zubi View Post
    I want to explore, there's not really an end-goal for me.

"Too much" would be if I started sacrificing basics (relationships, money, food, home, health) for perfume.
    +1 spot on! these are some of the psychiatric criteria which define "Addiction"!

Dependent

im drawling the line at 30. unless i find another love. only keeping ones i will actually use often not just a spray a year to go to sleep cuz i forgot about it
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

If I'm not able to afford to pay bills, then I just cannot justify buying more fragrances.