Code of Conduct

Default Encre Noire better than Vetiver Extraordinaire by Frederic Malle? 2 Questions..

Thinking about blind-buying Encre Noire OR Costume National Scent Intense for a night out fragrance. NOT a big fan of Vetiver (however, the only vetiver I have sniffed out is Vetiver Extraordinaire).. im a noob.

1. What do you prefer as a better night scent: Encre Noire or Costume National Scent Intense?
    2. Will I like Encre Noire if I am not a big fan of Vetiver Extraordinaire? *Mr.Robes08 gave it a perfect 10 :O*

Thanks

Sound Scents

Default Re: Encre Noire better than Vetiver Extraordinaire by Frederic Malle? 2 Questions..

Encre Noir is an excellent scent, but if you don't like Vetiver (particularly smokey dry vetiver) then I don't think you will like it. It is completely different smelling than Vetiver Extraordinaire though, so I would not use your dislike of that scent (one I love personally) as a benchmark...
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Encre Noire better than Vetiver Extraordinaire by Frederic Malle? 2 Questions..

I agree with drseid. If you don't like dry vetivers, then chances are that you will not like Encre Noire. Why not get a sample of it?

1. Encre Noire
    2. Hard to know for sure. I have both and don't think they are that similar.

The niche version of Encre Noire is Sycomore, not Vetiver Extraordinaire.

Don't know about Scent Intense, but I can say for a fact Encre Noir is not one to blind buy.

It's very smokey and to me quite unnatural - very synthetic and even 'industrial' kind of smell. There are better Vetivers out there (Sycomore, or a blended scent with vetiver in it such as TdH, or even Guerlain and Givenchy's Vetiver/Vetyver fragrances), but Encre Noir just isn't one of them in my opinion.

Vetiver Extrodinaire is not an overly great Vetiver scent but nonetheless I would class it as 'a keeper if someone gave it to me as a gift'.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Reminiscent View Post
    The niche version of Encre Noire is Sycomore, not Vetiver Extraordinaire.

+1.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamest View Post
    2. Will I like Encre Noire if I am not a big fan of Vetiver Extraordinaire?
    I like Encre Noire and I am not a big fan of Vetiver Extraordinaire.
    For those about to stink, I salute you!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Stinky View Post
    +1 (I love Sycomore though).

Sur la Plage

Same for me.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I can't imagine that someone who doesn't like vetiver would like Encre Noir. Unless, of course, one really loves solvent.

Thumbs up Re: Encre Noire better than Vetiver Extraordinaire by Frederic Malle? 2 Questions..

IMHO i prefer ENCRE NOIRE....I aboslutely love it...
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

1. Scent Intense is a much better night out scent. In fact, it's a favorite for going out. I don't think of Encre Noire as a night out scent at all.

2. VE and EN are so different, I wouldn't use your dislike for VE as a barometer for EN. If instead you didn't like Chanel Sycomore, then I'd say you will dislike Encre Noire. VE is very different and much brighter than Encre Noire or Sycomore. You'll need to try a darker vetiver to see for yourself.

I have to agree there, too... have both, but find myself enjoying EN more...