Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you do with the samples you don't like, aren't going to use?

I seem to be accumulating a whole lot of sample vials (and minis), 75% of which don't do it for me. The dozen or so that I'm actively playing with are in a little lipstick organizer on top of a low bookshelf and all the rest are stashed in various bags and boxes in the top drawer of my dresser. Said dresser drawer is fast becoming a pretty stinky and overwhelming place.

So what do you all DO with all this? Since I feel quite sure I'm not the only one with this kind of accumulation of little vials.

Once having tried and disliked a fragrance sample, do you...

(A) Save to re-test down the line, as your nose evolves
    (B) Give away
    (C) Sell/trade
    (D) Dump (seems just wrong, even if I hate it)
    (C) Other

Thanks!
    Stacey
    "Use only that which works, and take it from any place you can find it."
    - Bruce Lee

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What do you do with the samples you don't like, aren't going to use?

I save mine to re-test.
    There were a few occasions where I didnt like something and then later fell in love with it
    Sounds like someones having a case of the Mondays

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: What do you do with the samples you don't like, aren't going to use?

I do all the above but I never dump . I only dump empty vials. I almost always give my samples away to someone who may like them . I do tend to save samples given to me by good friends from their own collection .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mostly I give them away.

Post Thanks / Like

I keep all the ones I have not purchased bottles of. If I do end up purchasing, depending on the level left I might use it up, give it away with a sale, or dump it if it's not worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie2000 View Post
    I save mine to re-test.
    There were a few occasions where I didnt like something and then later fell in love with it
    This, especially if you're still new to perfume. I generally only get rid of duplicates (usually give them away) and keep anything else. At some point I inevitably want to smell them again.

Oh, and one tip if you keep samples - make sure they're labeled!

I save mine to re-test. I've had enough fragrances grow on me (I'm looking at you, Fleurs de Bois) and enough fall out of favor to make me feel it's worthwhile to use my decants up.

Post Thanks / Like

I save some, give some away. It actually usually depends on the amount of juice left - many of my samples come in the dab vial, and once I've given it a good run, there's just not enough left to make mailing it out worthwhile.

Post Thanks / Like

Give mine away to other BNers.

for swap/sale:

I've given away all of the ones that I either bought a bottle of or disliked after testing.
    CURRENT TOP 5

1. Dior Homme Intense
    2. Creed Aventus
    3. Tom Ford Extreme
    4. Gucci Pour Homme II
    5. Terre d'Hermes

Post Thanks / Like

Give away to friends and acquaintances, but in general, there is hardly any sample I don't like - usually, I do own very little samples, and most of them for safe, "middle ground" frags, hardly anytime for something strong and polarizing like, e.g., Kouros

I typically save them to PIF along with bottles I sell. I might not like them but that doesn't mean someone else won't. However, sometimes I will swap or sell them, especially in the case where maybe I've purchased a sample set.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

I give them to people who want them.

I give away or trade them, depending on the size and the scent.

I do all of the above, but don't dump. Used some samples that I loved or have full flacons in washing machine during the rinse cycle - bed linen smelling of Rue Cambon anyone? I don't send my samples too often, as NZ post has very strict regulations for liquids and aerosols, but I sneak samples into small parcels now and then when sending something else, non-liquid. Hopefully local BNers will gang up at some stage, and organise 'sniff and tell' meetings where we can trade our samples.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for your responses!

And a follow-up question...how do you store/organize all the samples you keep?
    "Use only that which works, and take it from any place you can find it."
    - Bruce Lee

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There are entire threads about storage systems!

Some use ammo boxes. I stick them upright in a box filled with granular poly pellets (bean bag fill).

Here are some threads found on search:

http://www.basenotes.net/bn_search.p...et%2Fforum.php

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

First, I collect - and keep all for reference. When I'm sure that I don't like certain ones, I organize those with certain people in mind. Then, when I'm invited to someone's house, in addition to cake or bottle of wine, the hostess gets something that I think will fit her. That keeps us together with perfume talk to follow.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

Post Thanks / Like

Mostly I keep them as well, my faves I can use up even if I purchase full bottles of them. A lot still need to be tested and many I retest and retest again. A few I know I am never going to like, sometimes I know people that will like them and give them to them. People tend to not send out bad juices so they are usually at least decent quality, perhaps not my taste so I either keep to retest or give away. I do not throw them out. I guess if something was really that offensively horrible I would.

Post Thanks / Like

include them in swaps

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

I include them in swaps, but there have been a couple that I have dumped because they were so repulsing to me that I felt it was wrong to allow someone else to smell that way. I know, I know, it's a waste, but what ya gonna do?

I give them away! One man's trash, another man's treasure. I discovered quite a few fragrance gems as gifts.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Give them away if it's something I don't see myself wearing or have more (ie a bottle) of.

Post Thanks / Like

Since I'm new I keep them all in a ziploc bag, in the future I'll probably include them in sales/swaps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ones that l know l will never enjoy get put on my swap list. After a while, if they haven't gone, l'll give them away in the "free to a good home" thread.
    Ones that l'm not sure about, l will give a second or third test to before getting rid of them.
    Ones that l've bought a FB of, will still get used up.
    Ones that are especially classic or rare, l will keep for reference.

l have only ever dumped one particularly awful fragrance, because l wouldn't have wanted anyone to smell of it. (Don't worry, it was a cheap & very nasty one!)
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    I keep all the ones I have not purchased bottles of. If I do end up purchasing, depending on the level left I might use it up, give it away with a sale, or dump it if it's not worth it.
    Same. The samples of bottles I own have mysteriously found themselves in classrooms or the library for someone else to enjoy.

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I keep them for later reference, but also put them up for swap. Like I'm currently doing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    There are entire threads about storage systems!

Some use ammo boxes. I stick them upright in a box filled with granular poly pellets (bean bag fill).

Here are some threads found on search:

http://www.basenotes.net/bn_search.p...et%2Fforum.php
    I usually send of surprise packs all the time or if I haven't tried them then I store them. Storing them in a fashion like Roses is a great way to do it!
    The Collectors Sale is coming soon to the Basenotes Marketplace!
    Guy Roberts' 1983-84 intro, "AMOUAGE" parfum/ FAB 3 box presentation/MINT!!!-Vintage.possibly Antique-Guerlain Eau De Hegemonienne EDC/60%full/ purchased at estate auction of a NY dept. store magnet(Mays)/authenticity guaranteed-Box sets of Belle d Opium & Dior's Dune pour femme-Eau de Gucci, Elegantly boxed drawer liners w/Gucci No3 scent + a partial bottle of Gucci No.3 as an added value combo, Tom Ford's 'White Musk'.......

CologneFan85

Give away to other basenoters. If you don't like a sample you get, simply give to another person on a giveway. Nothing is wrong with that! Well IF there is enough to send out still.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

i suggest keeping them and revisiting them in 6 months. i regret throwing away a lot of samples that i didnt like at first.

Post Thanks / Like

Mens give away thread
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Post Thanks / Like

Give them to friends or family!

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I keep mine for retesting later on. When I buy the FB I think about giving the sample away (I recently gave my Sa Majeste la Rose by SL to my sister after purchasing the FB). I keep my favorite samples even after buying the bottle because they are great to take to the gym to use after I shower.

Post Thanks / Like

I have 3 compartments in a box: ones I use, ones that need more uses to figure out, and ones for reference.
    There is a 4th spot, a box that I have to give away once I find someone who will use them.

I'd agree with above, never throw out, but keep for future and giveway if you're sure.

I also take quite a few when travelling also, very convenient rather than lugging around FB's.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I mostly give them away. Sort of like a pass-it-forward thing. Maybe if I'm generous with samples, the next guy will be too, and then the guy after that. I figure, I don't like the fragrance anyway.

I was initially putting small lots of them on eBay but am now putting them on here for swap.

I'm tired of eBay and would prefer to barter, as I feel better about no money changing hands.

In terms of storage, the full bottles are kept in a bedside drawer upright.

The samples are kept in an airtight tupperware container in the same drawer.

This thread is inspiring me to get geared up to swap...it sounds like fun.

Currently, I keep all my samples in a clear, small fishing tackle box (which looks a lot better than it sounds) - it keeps the vials upright and I can see most of the labels. The squares are big enough to keep samples from the same line together, if necessary (I have sections dedicated to ELdO, CDG, Smell Bent, Slumberhouse, Imaginary Authors). When I get tired of a sample, or even if I think it's good but I know I won't sample it anytime soon, I tend to give them to friends who I think may really get into that particular scent - this only works because I have a bunch of friends into perfume.

With that said, I really only give away anything that's totally not my style, but that I'd still consider to be fair to great.

I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do with stuff I consider crap...it just kind of sits there.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually save them for a certain period to give them other chances then, If I don't like them, I pass them to other perfumistos / friends...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Post Thanks / Like

Use them up when out and about. Well, or so is the plan. I did start to like one scent which I had dismissed at first after going through 2 samples (Armani Code Sport. Just works on hot days), so I guess it can happen. If I greatly dislike something, I'd probably just chuck it away though.
    I did let women try samples of women's scents I had and didn't care for but they didn't approve of them either.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

Great gifts for friends, better gifts for enemies!

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

I eat them.