Code of Conduct

Default Histoires de Parfums Petroleum vs. Ambrarem

I have samples of each of these fragrances and I'm thinking about getting a full bottle, but I'm having trouble deciding which to get. Each time I wear one, I decide on it. But then I try the other and change my mind. I'm not typically this indecisive but each of these is excellent. Unfortunately, I'm not ready at this point to drop $350 for both.

Today I'm wearing Ambrarem -- to me this one has more of a petrol note in the opening. I'm loving the anamalic floral/marine accord in the mid and base -- the marine note seems to be common to both of these fragrances.

There's a great Petroleum review by Alfarom, but I'm wondering about impressions from anyone who has spent some time with both these fine fragrances.
    Christian Dior VetiverPatou Pour HommeChristian Dior Leather OudOrmonde Jayne Ormonde ManSerge Lutens Chene

Default Re: Histoires de Parfums Petroleum vs. Ambrarem

I've tried both although I don't have them in my collection. I think they're very nice scents, but I like Petroleum better.

I've recently sampled both of these, and actually have Ambrarem on right now. I would without hesitation go with Ambrarem. Both of them share a similar thread, being that petroleum like mineral accord. But for me, I find it is too upfront and aggressive in Petroleum. It's an interesting smell, no doubt, but I would have a hard time saying that it actually 'smells good'. Ambrarem on the other hand does a tremendous job of using that petroleum mineral smell in a much more subdued way, to my nose, to temper and contrast the amber. It is much more wearable to me, and something that I appreciate for not only being interesting, but also very pleasant.

Ambrarem (which is terrific) is the crowdpleaser, the new hype, Petroleum is the (not so) hidden gem IMO. That being said I'm pretty sure everybody will suggest Ambrarem. I honestly like them both but the first one I got was Petroleum.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I own a bottle of both. Like them both. I reach for Ambrarem way more often. Ambrarem is a keeper, and I could live without Petroleum.

Petroleum is an oud scent and quite a good one at that. Whether you enjoy it will depend on how much you like oud and want one (or another one, for many of us) in your wardrobe. I had never smelled anything like Ambrarem before, which is why it won me over. It does now have Amber Oud nipping at its heels.

Both are excellent. It comes down to a pretty personal preference.

The only thing I would needle Alfarom about is the crowdpleaser thing. Initially, all the hype on here was for Petroleum. I almost didn't even sample Ambrarem because on paper it looked kind of dull. Only after a lot of sniffing did Ambrarem start getting so much love.

In summary, choose Rosam.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    The only thing I would needle Alfarom about is the crowdpleaser thing.
    I'm obviously talking about niche-lovers. Not D&G Light Blue type of crowd. In this context, Ambrarem is a crowdpleaser, the one everybody will end up having in their collection.

Again, Ambrarem is TERRIFIC and original, but I find Petroleum slightly more unique. It's probably just me...fine

Quote Originally Posted by alfarom View Post
    I'm obviously talking about niche-lovers. Not D&G Light Blue type of crowd. In this context, Ambrarem is a crowdpleaser, the one everybody will end up having in their collection.

Again, Ambrarem is TERRIFIC and original, but I find Petroleum slightly more unique. It's probably just me...fine

You have a terrific nose. I would trust anything you pick out. I just re-applied Petroleum from my sample, and it is pretty great. I may have been suffering from oudxhaustion when I tried it before. I'm looking at my bottle of Bond No. 9 Harrods Oud Swarovski Crystal Limited Edition Celebrity Sparklepony and thinking Petroleum may have been a better choice. The resinous warmth is beautiful.

I don't think it's a question of Petroleum vs. Ambrarem. It's a question of Petroleum vs. other ouds and Ambrarem vs. dirty ambers.

May I ask where you guys got your samples from? They are not included in HdP's pick-your-sample set, which is a pity...
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    I don't think it's a question of Petroleum vs. Ambrarem. It's a question of Petroleum vs. other ouds and Ambrarem vs. dirty ambers.
    True! That's Why I see myself owning them both in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by LloydLlewellyn View Post
    May I ask where you guys got your samples from? They are not included in HdP's pick-your-sample set, which is a pity...
    Same here. Unless they're getting pirated by TPC, I can't figure out where people are sourcing samples from. HdP really needs to add these to their sample line. I would have no problem paying more for them than their other samples.

Personally I own a full bottle of Petroleum and got two free travel atomizers of Ambrarem and Rosam from HDP Italy as a courtesy gift (they don't plan to do samples for this series).
    Last edited by alfarom; 21st February 2012 at 08:08 PM.

Aedes

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    Same here. Unless they're getting pirated by TPC, I can't figure out where people are sourcing samples from. HdP really needs to add these to their sample line. I would have no problem paying more for them than their other samples.

You can get samples here:

http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/catalo...-rare/id/1269/

Available from March 9, 2012

Damn, and I thought I was done getting samples for a while...

You can also get them on Aedes website:

http://www.aedes.com/

They will apply the price of the samples toward a bottle if you go on to purchase one.

I got my samples from TPC.

Quote Originally Posted by Daze View Post
    You can get samples here:

http://www.ausliebezumduft.de/catalo...-rare/id/1269/

Available from March 9, 2012

Damn, and I thought I was done getting samples for a while...
    Oh, of course! I see an expensive ALZD purchase before me.
    Aedes unfortunately doesn't ship to Europe...

The Perfume Shoppe (locations in Vancouver Canada and Scottsdale Arizona) carry these...and they'd probably ship samples almost anywhere.

That said, I spent some quality time with Petroleum last weekend, and I'm now thinking I must be hyposmic or anosmic to something in it. To me, it smells like almost nothing, and suggests petroleum in no way I can recognize. Actually, my two-word characterization would have to be "cooked rice".

Both are great, I would get both, but as the first I would get Ambrarem

Most Wearable (universally enjoyable, complement-getting), and my favorite: Ambrarem

Most unique and interesting and unlike anything you will ever purposefully apply to your body: Petroleum. (I get a very clear association from this one, that I will not repeat here, but you might find it in another thread on this scent. Not enough to regret the purchase, but it still amazes me how close this is to something...)

The one I should NOT have blind bought, all the time assuming it would be unique just because it is from the wonderful house of HdP: Rosam
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Fate Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Tribute, Homage, Opus IV, VI, & VII • Puredistance M, Black • Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange • Knize Ten Golden • L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! • TF Noir de Noir • Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861, 1888, Zafar • Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles, La Myrre • H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale • Abdes Salaam Tabac, Sharif, Mecca Balsam • Slumberhouse Vikt, Baque • MDCI Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin • Nicoläi NY, Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte • Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial • Chanel Sycomore • Guerlain Derby, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete • MFK Oud Cashmere Mood • Ormonde Jayne Man

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    The Perfume Shoppe (locations in Vancouver Canada and Scottsdale Arizona) carry these...and they'd probably ship samples almost anywhere.

That said, I spent some quality time with Petroleum last weekend, and I'm now thinking I must be hyposmic or anosmic to something in it. To me, it smells like almost nothing, and suggests petroleum in no way I can recognize. Actually, my two-word characterization would have to be "cooked rice".
    Thanks for the advice andylama, their samples program is really a terrific chance to try great perfumes!
    Thanks to mr andylama here :-) I was able to test Ambrarem. Great strength, great longevity, great scent! A winner. But I have a question for you (now I'd better take cover for the blasphemy I'm going to say): does it remind you guys a little bit of Tuscan Leather?
    Anyhow, I'm running to test Petroleum...

Quote Originally Posted by FumeHood View Post
    Most Wearable (universally enjoyable, complement-getting), and my favorite: Ambrarem

Most unique and interesting and unlike anything you will ever purposefully apply to your body: Petroleum. (I get a very clear association from this one, that I will not repeat here, but you might find it in another thread on this scent. Not enough to regret the purchase, but it still amazes me how close this is to something...)

The one I should NOT have blind bought, all the time assuming it would be unique just because it is from the wonderful house of HdP: Rosam
    Rosam was a huge disppointment for me also.

Love your "Having Simultaneous Affairs with" list - some good frags there

Wore Ambrarem today, sadly it's all powdery rhubarb on me.. pure vegetal powder. I'll be reluctant to reach for this sample again.

OK, I just received a package from Germany from our friends at First in Fragrance, containing a ridiculously generous spray sample of both Ambrarem and Petroleum. First impressions are mixed, both are very original, unique and dare I say quirky compositions, with Petroleum being the more original of the two. Conceptually if you'd didn't know that both were by HdP, you'd swear that they were from Comme des Garcons.

Ambarem is definitely a lot lighter than I anticipated and I'm currently getting a light, aquatic-marine, almost cucumber note, with HdP's hollowed out signature in the base notes, which is made up of a lightly spiced and semi-sweet amber with a democratic oud note. Very modern, 3D, vibrant and avaunt-garde. Love at first sniff? No, but I'm going to keep on testing it, since the FIF sample is HUGE!

Petroleum
    is very "icy" and "blue" smelling if that makes sense, underpinned is some subtle warmth. Straight off the bat it seems blended to be very linear with a quite realistic petroleum note, without the bitter fumes. Again, the aquatic-marine cucumber note is very prominent and the aldehyde-civet combo, is quite salty and easy to make out. Top marks for originality, concept and execution but it doesn't immediately strike me as conventionally wearable (even for me).
    Last edited by Duke Hunt; 8th August 2012 at 09:48 AM.

Sound Scents

To my nose Petroleum is the better fragrance in every possible way over Ambrarem. The latter was one of the biggest disappointments I have ever sniffed unfortunately due primarily to its cloying and sickening sweet amber and Oud combination. Folks who like their ambers on the very sweet side will see things differently I am sure. Petroleum on the other hand smelled quite innovative and used its mineral-like petrol note extremely well, and is certainly purchase worthy, IMO. After Ambre 114 (which unlike Ambrarem is an amazing only very slightly sweet amber that is a heck of a lot less expensive), Petroleum is my second favorite scent from the house.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    To my nose Petroleum is the better fragrance in every possible way over Ambrarem.
    Most definitely Drsed. I've to say that, due to the extremely quirky nature of the composition, it (may) take a bunch of wearings to completely get it, either if one will end up liking it or not. personally, it was love at first sniff and I honestly don't find it as challenging as other make it sound...Conventional? Not really no but, not as unconventional as other adgier compositions such as Tar, Dry Clean or, say, SKAI. Points of vew, I guess...

I can't wait to try these two! The notes are so interesting.

I guess I may be the minority here and say I prefer Roseam over Petroleum and Ambrarem. Roseam is an aldehydic, sweet, crisp, translucent rose which just oozes class and distinction. It really reminds me of Bill Blass's Nude.

I did enjoy Petroleum but I found it essentially Leather Oud diluted with a non-attractive marine note.

Ambrarem was just plain sickening and disgusting and in fact smelt like...KFC (!!!!!!!!) on my skin! Even Hedonist agreed! Peculiar weird thing.

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    I guess I may be the minority here and say I prefer Roseam over Petroleum and Ambrarem. Roseam is an aldehydic, sweet, crisp, translucent rose which just oozes class and distinction. It really reminds me of Bill Blass's Nude.
    Rosam is definitely an overlooked one. Much better than the average quality available right now...

I did enjoy Petroleum but I found it essentially Leather Oud diluted with a non-attractive marine note.

Ambrarem was just plain sickening and disgusting and in fact smelt like...KFC (!!!!!!!!) on my skin! Even Hedonist agreed! Peculiar weird thing.
    haha yeah KFC. So true. waan chiQen

But I don't see how Petroleum is in any way related to LO.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post

But I don't see how Petroleum is in any way related to LO.
    neither do I Hedonist but, you know better than me that this guy has a cat's nose. He's not simply able to properly smell fragrances, he also can see, with naked eyes, the molecules interacting bewteen theirselves
    Last edited by alfarom; 8th August 2012 at 09:59 PM.

I'm starting to become more partial to Petroleum, it's really starting to remind me of CDG Skai with its synthetics/aldehydes.

I agree with scent that Ambrarem is sickening and the worst of the trio, and Rosam the best (which is not to say much). As for Petroleum, it's hard for me to subtract the not so appealing marine note to see what's underneath. There could be leather and woods, for all I know. But I think that the marine note melds with the rest to give a unified scent impression (damp cave to my nose).

Changing brands, I'd be curious to hear what scent thinks about the drydown of Laurhum. But not in this thread.

cacio

Cacio, why encourage Scent to explore a massive range such as O'Driu's starting from the probably least relevant fragrance in their catalog? Laurhum is marketed by O'Driù for Campomarzio... It would be just like starting to explore Comme Des Garcons from Standard (CDG for Artek). A good fragrance with many of the house hallamrks but not as representative as, say, Avignon or CDG2Man...

neither do I Hedonist but, you know better than me that this guy has a cat's nose. He's not simply able to properly smell fragrances, he also can see, with naked eyes, the molecules interacting bewteen theirselves
    Hahahaha! You're forgetting I can also hear the electrons of different absolutes

I enjoy Petroleum and Ambrarem, but from what I remember they share a similar feel. Petroleum being slightly dirtier and Ambrarem being slightly sweeter right off the start.

Cacio, why encourage Scent to explore a massive range such as O'Driu's starting from the probably least relevant fragrance in their catalog? Laurhum is marketed by O'Driù for Campomarzio... It would be just like starting to explore Comme Des Garcons from Standard (CDG for Artek). A good fragrance with many of the house hallamrks but not as representative as, say, Avignon or CDG2Man...
    I'm dying to try the O'Driu line. I'm gonna sniff them when I meet up with Hedonist in a few weeks!

The reason for smelling Laurhum was the controversy alfarom and I had about the drydown. I wanted to see if Scent smells what I smell, or if he smells what everybody else seems to be smelling. I have not smelled other Odrius, but I can see how this is not representative. But then scent likes Ferme tes yeux, so who knows.

cacio

Dependent

Was not into these three fragrances. Ambrarem was cloying and claustrophobic on my skin (though I did find its castoreum interesting), while Petroleum reminded me of a dank flooded cellar. I'm not into rose+oud so Rosam is of course not my thing. Ah well.

Hahahaha! You're forgetting I can also hear the electrons of different absolutes

It's funny that this thread resurfaced now, as just the other day I smelled Ambrarem on someone in the subway. It is without doubt a unique smell, but I no longer find it pleasant as I had originally. The combination of amber and oud (and whatever other ingredients) does create an off-putting smell of what I believe cacio is right to call a metallic bilge note. Over time it has become more nauseating to my nose. Interestingly enough, I sampled Opus VI last night and the early drydown was distinctly reminiscent to Ambrarem to me, but with the metallic bilge turned way down. Perhaps it is a combination of wood and amber that gave me this connection, but it does smell to me like a more refined, wearable alternative to Ambrarem that holds a similar theme in the drydown. After my first wearing, I am not a fan of Opus VI either though.

I also prefer Petroleum by far. It smells brown to me though. Somewhat reminiscent of wearing sun cream on the beach - that odd mix of chemical and natural, of salty sea water and slightly baking seaweed in the sun hidden behind some cloud cover.
    Somehow I find it very comfortable and easy to wear.

I still need to wear Rosam more but the transparency makes it different from any other rose+synth oud fragrances I've tried.

Ambrarem though - what a stinker. My relationship with this fragrance is moving from curiosity to outright dislike. A wet seaweedy smell with a cloying opaque amber - no thank you!

I stopped at Urban outfitters earlier today, where a few of the Histoires de Parfums scents of departure are now available. anyway, I then had the chance to reexamine Dubai, which I had smelled under nose fatigue. Surprisingly, to my nose it clearly smells like a relative of the -m trio, especially Petroleum. It shares a combo of oud + marine, though the oud is more ambery and smoky and the marine is toned way down. Equally surprisingly, my nose did not seem to object to the light marine note. It's as if they'd taken the idea of the trio, smoothed it out and made wearable. I don't know yet the performance on skin (the s of d line is rather light), I'll be testing. But it seems a good cheaper substitute for those who are intrigued by the upmarket line, but find it too costly or too overwhelming.

Which also begs the question: was any other town in the s of d line endowed with a derivative of rosam? or insulted with a derivative of Ambrarem? not the ones I've smelled so far ...

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I stopped at Urban outfitters earlier today, where a few of the Histoires de Parfums scents of departure are now available. anyway, I then had the chance to reexamine Dubai, which I had smelled under nose fatigue. Surprisingly, to my nose it clearly smells like a relative of the -m trio, especially Petroleum. It shares a combo of oud + marine, though the oud is more ambery and smoky and the marine is toned way down. Equally surprisingly, my nose did not seem to object to the light marine note. It's as if they'd taken the idea of the trio, smoothed it out and made wearable. I don't know yet the performance on skin (the s of d line is rather light), I'll be testing. But it seems a good cheaper substitute for those who are intrigued by the upmarket line, but find it too costly or too overwhelming.

Which also begs the question: was any other town in the s of d line endowed with a derivative of rosam? or insulted with a derivative of Ambrarem? not the ones I've smelled so far ...

cacio
    Interesting cacio! I've only smelt Vienna and Doha (they sell it at the Duty Free now!) and I can't wait to smell the others.

Scent:

we've discussed them in a couple of threads, eg
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/307...t-of-Departure

Most of them are rather light and certainly not animalic, so they may not be of your liking. But good that they are at duty frees now, they seemed designed for that!

cacio

Abu Dhabi is a weird animal in this sense. Neither is it a by product of the three nor is it representative of Abu Dhabi. Its just a messy musk.

- - - Updated - - -

and I can't wait to smell the others.
    You can wait. Trust me.

for swap/sale: