Code of Conduct

Default Received New GENGIS KHAN Today from MdM (New Formula)!!

Let me first say, that the re-issue of Gengis Khan is still not out yet to the general public nor is it available for purchase on the official website. Therefore you might wonder, how I came by this? I had been been corresponding with Marc de la Morandiere for the past 2-3 years inquiring when the re-issue of this discontinued fragrance would happen. Every time, he would send me back an e-mail stipulating that there was either a sourcing problem of the patchouli, or a problem with creating the black glass bottle, or the rise in price of raw material prices, or fires in South East Asia. It ran the whole gamut. One delay after another. I quickly gave up hope.

Now I was in no desperate need to get my hands on the re-issue as I still have more than 400ml of the old one, but I, like some others was curious. Then at the end of last year, if you remember, one of our French Basenoters, met with Marc de La Morandiere in Paris (I'm sure many of you remember that thread - Started with SCOOP!) and I believe he was told at that time by Marc that it would be out by January 2012. Well of course nothing came of it.

So, after many months of no correspondence, on May 27th of this year I sent him another e-mail and wrote:

"You said after many many delays, that finally by the year of 2011 it would be out. Then once again you said in January 2012. It is now almost June 2012. When is this coming out? Is it ever going to come out again? Thank you."

Mr. XXXXX
    and many others who want to know

He responded back on May 27th and wrote verbatim:

"Dear Sir,
    I am very sory but Gengis Khan was not ready, as we have a lot of problems with the cap.
    I know that a long time you are waiting for this perfume like a lot of my customer but I need time to do it perfectly.
    I don't want to give a delay as for the cap I must make a new mould.
    If you want I can send you free of charge a 100ml of Gengis Khan in a lab bottle without box, so you can use the fragrance and tell me if you like it.
    That is the minimum I can do to tell you my apologie for this delay.
    Thank you to send me your address where I can send this sample.
    Best regards
    Marc de la Morandiere

I wrote back on the 28th of May:

"Dear Mr. Marc de la Morandiere,

Thank you for your response to my e-mail. Your offer for the 100ml is very generous and I would be very happy to receive the fragrance as you state. Below is my address for your information. Thank you again.

On June 6th he writes:

"Good Morning,
    The sample of Gengis Khan was send this morning.
    Thank you to let me know when you received
    Best regards"

Marc de la Morandiere

Fast forward to today and what was waiting for me on my doorstep, but a package from Marc de La Morandiere sent priority and which arrived in 5 days (better than Fragrancenet!) It was a large aluminum spray bottle a la Montale with a label that simply had printed on it Gengis Khan. Also in the package were samples of all his other men's fragrances, a booklet of the history of his company and others things. Just overwhelmed with his generosity.

As for the scent: wearing the old one on my left wrist and the new one on my right and going back and forth sniffing. There's definitely a difference even my terrible nose can discern. It's a bit spicier, and a tad sweeter. Projection and longevity are pretty good, but only have it on for a few hours. I would say it's a worthy reformulation of the original. Don't know if I would purchase it though when it does come out. Those who never liked the original probably would not bother with this. Just thought I'd share with those who might have been waiting for an update.
    Last edited by hednic; 12th June 2012 at 03:10 AM.

Banned

Default Re: Received New GENGIS KHAN Today from MdM (New Formula)!!

I've been curious about it too, and your impressions are very helpful.
    Thanks for the info.

Dependent

thanks hednic! i think i can deal with slightly sweeter and spicier.

i'm traveling thousands of years to the future in a time machine so i can visit the perfume museum you will outline in your will.

That's an interesting update.

Thanks Hednic.

Thanks for the info. Spicier than the original....must be a struggle to make a cap that doesn't melt.

Thats a great fragrance success story and that guy was very generous. Well done for been persistent and congrats for scoring a free 100ml bottle of the new formula of Gengis Khan!

Well done Hednic! Thank you for the information.
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the info. Hope it's as good as the original (which I only have in a splash bottle :-/ ). Will depend on the price if I will pick one up.

Congrats and thank you for the news, hednic, our Mr. Gengis Khan h.c.! ;-)

Congratulations, hednic. It was very generous of Marc to do that. Enjoy your new acquisition!

Wow, that is indeed very nice from Mr. Morandiere! It was only last week when I received an old mini that I bought on eBay. I became curious after reading about it on BN. Being a fan of many 80ies masculines, my hopes were very high. At first I wasn't very impressed (nice but nothing special) but the longer I had it on, the more I liked it. After reading this thread, I put it on again and now I even love/like the top/heart notes a lot. It's great, just not as original as I thought it would be. I'll defnitely try the reformultion once it's out but I can't imagine it being as classic 80ies as the original as I'm pretty sure that there's a good amount of oakmoss in it.

Great story Hednic, congratulations on your success!

I don't remember where I read this, but someone had been disappointed by the concentration in the spray bottle. (I only have the splash bottle, so I cannot compare.) Any thoughts on the strength of the juice? (And have you compared the two; perhaps that other person was just imagining things.)

BTW, I used to think that this purchase had been a mistake for me. I am now starting to enjoy it.

Sorry, I only have the spray, (both old and new) and the strength or concentration is IMO superb. Find it hard to believe that there would be a difference in concentration between the splash and spray, but don't know for certain.

I also wonder what it would take to correct the name of this fragrance in the directory.

Hednic, your efforts and information are much appreciated. Thank you for sharing !

It must be pretty frustrating for Mr. MdM to have his fragrance delayed for such a long period of time. But, its better late than never !
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Sorry, I only have the spray, (both old and new) and the strength or concentration is IMO superb. Find it hard to believe that there would be a difference in concentration between the splash and spray, but don't know for certain.

I found the quote from here. I suspect it might have more to do with the method of application than the juice. I get a very similar thing with Puredistance M. I prefer to roll it on than spray it because the top notes last longer.

I received my vintage Gengis Khan Edt spray from eBay and have had a chance to give it a couple wearings. Both my girlfriend and I agree that it seemed a bit different from the mini splash Edt I got a while back and I did a side by sides test (one on each wrist) to confirm. The mini splash gives more prominence and longevity to the spicy topnotes, while the 100ml spray gave more of the floral heart notes.

Upon comparison, the mini splash is 85% alcohol per volume, while the full size spray is 90%. I think I prefer the extra kick the higher perfume concentration gives to the splash.

Do we know what the new Gengis Khan will be like in terms of concentration?

Nice that he got a bottle to you and even nicer that it sounds like a 'worthy reformulation' from someone who should know

Look forward to trying this when it does finally hit the streets.

Sur la Plage

I too have been corresponding with M. de la Morandiere for some time regarding Gengis Khan, and he was also gracious and generous to send me a lab bottle of the re-issue.

So I thought it would only be appropriate to pay-it-forward by sending out samples of it to some fellow BNers so that they can try it, and then have them post their opinions of it in this thread. So hopefully we will be hearing from them soon.

I have the vintage version also. From a brief sampling, the re-issue seems a bit brighter and sharper - but still a fairly close rendition of the original. I need to give it some additional wearings to form a final opinion.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 22nd June 2012 at 10:48 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I too have been corresponding with M. de la Morandiere for some time regarding Gengis Khan, and he was also gracious and generous to send me a lab bottle of the re-issue.

So I thought it would only be appropriate to pay-it-forward by sending out samples of it to some fellow BNers so that they can try it, and then have them post their opinions of it in this thread. So hopefully we will be hearing from them soon.

I have the vintage version also. From a brief sampling, the re-issue seems a bit brighter and sharper - but still a fairly close rendition of the original. I need to give it some additional wearings to form a final opinion.
    Thanks for paying it forward, Joe! I just got the sample today, and I've tested it on both paper and skin. I will save my more "artistic" thoughts for later - I'll just give you my early impressions now as clearly as possible, so that people can make those important bottle decisions.

Big picture: I am very sure that this smells like the old stuff - except fresh, not aged in the bottle. It's like getting a bottle back in the '80's or whenever. I think this explains what Joe said about being a bit brighter and sharper.

Here is the most important part. What I smelled fits noggs' review almost to the letter. I had not read any reviews of this juice prior to smelling it, and had intentionally avoided doing so, in order to have an unbiased opinion. When I read noggs' review, it was like he stole the words out of my mouth.

I can see why hednic says ginger. My wife is Asian and has a very good nose - she spotted shiso in de Bachmakov on the first snifff. She said ginger as soon as she smelled Genghis Khan, so it definitely has a ginger vibe. But whether it is ginger or simply a spice combination that ends up resembling ginger, it is not ginger-prominent.

Whoever said incense - yes. This is a great fresh herbal incense. I am getting all these things - herbal, fruity, incense, fresh, ambery, musky (a sort of clean, soapy musk, though there is a touch of something gnarly, too!)

I totally see why Trebor is calling out the '80's thing. There is an herbal aromatic fougère facet which appears strongly in the beginning of the heart. I thought that it was very well-done - on par with a lot of big designer fougères from the '80's and early '90's. It reminded me of Aramis Havana, actually, with incense taking the place of tobacco. The fruity notes are more prominent in the beginning, and in combination with the wood and incense, give it a very Jubilation XXV sort of feel, but quieter and more French.

For me, the beginning hour is where it really impresses. I know that it is sacrilege to compare anything to Puredistance M, but the balance of the peppery incense, clove, wood and freshness at the beginning has a feel and texture very reminiscent of M, which I just had the pleasure of sniffing recently. It had a similarly classy vibe.

Overall, it is a very civilized scent. I can see why people say things like "save it for a special occasion." For me, the thing that wins is the balance of the facets. If I want to smell the fruity notes, the incense, the spices, the woods, the freshness, the citrus - it is ALL there. You can smell it as a coherent whole, or as the parts. It's very nifty.

As it dries down, it becomes a bit simpler and less faceted, but still smells nice. Reappearance of fruity notes in the skin scent was a pleasurable moment. I agree with noggs - dynamic but not too much so. It smoothly transitions all along the way.

I agree that it's not a true powerhouse, but it is still rather strong. When I put one small spray on the tip of a tester - *outside* - and brought the tester into the house, I was getting sillage and projection of 6-10 feet from the paper for over half an hour. (My wife noticed it, too.) One spray on skin while walking the dog, and I had a subtle but unmistakable cloud of the scent around me. Young people were happy to converse with me and were smiling as we talked, so I know that I was not displeasing anyone or getting too retro for modern tastes.

I'm a parfum lover, so I will consider a more concentrated version, if one is available, but I might just stick with this strength. In any case, this is a nice scent and is now on my FBW list. And I am looking forward to a double-digit "hedonist" wear at home this weekend. That may be when the "Genghis Khan" nom de 'fume will be fully demonstrated!

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Thanks for paying it forward, Joe! I just got the sample today, and I've tested it on both paper and skin. I will save my more "artistic" thoughts for later - I'll just give you my early impressions now as clearly as possible, so that people can make those important bottle decisions.

I'm a parfum lover, so I will consider a more concentrated version, if one is available, but I might just stick with this strength. In any case, this is a nice scent and is now on my FBW list. And I am looking forward to a double-digit "hedonist" wear at home this weekend. That may be when the "Genghis Khan" nom de 'fume will be fully demonstrated!
    Thanks for the great review. This one sounds right up my alley and I may just have to blind buy a bottle of the old juice to give it a go.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

I agree that it's not a true powerhouse, but it is still rather strong. When I put one small spray on the tip of a tester - *outside* - and brought the tester into the house, I was getting sillage and projection of 6-10 feet from the paper for over half an hour. (My wife noticed it, too.) One spray on skin while walking the dog, and I had a subtle but unmistakable cloud of the scent around me. Young people were happy to converse with me and were smiling as we talked, so I know that I was not displeasing anyone or getting too retro for modern tastes.

Great review, Thank you.

I only have the vintage mini. I hope Mr. Marc will reissue Gengis Khan soon. The bottle is beautiful
    smells are surer than sights or sounds to make your heartstrings crack.

-Vladimir Nabokov

Thanks for heads-up Red, sounds great!

God knows I would love to smell ANY version of this grail of yours, hednic!

Congratulations on the well deserved reward of your persistance.
    Smellin good

Dependent

Looking forward to adding one version or the other to my collection

Excellent! Many thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to trying the new one, even though I do enjoy the original.
    [URL="http://www.basenotes.net/threads/281969-Montale-Amouage-Gengis-Khan-Musk-Oils-Micallef-Manufacturer-Samples-etc."]Pure Havane and Misc Samples[/URL]

[URL="http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=696"]What's this, an offsite link to more sales?[/URL]

Thanks for paying it forward, Joe!...

...Whoever said incense - yes. This is a great fresh herbal incense. I am getting all these things - herbal, fruity, incense, fresh, ambery, musky (a sort of clean, soapy musk, though there is a touch of something gnarly, too!)...

...I totally see why Trebor is calling out the '80's thing. There is an herbal aromatic fougère facet which appears strongly in the beginning of the heart...
    Yes, thanks Joe!

I wore the original Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme in the 80s - and it will always represent the epitome of that time, when exaggeration and lack of proportion were mistaken for good design.

While VC&A was over-the-top, and headache inducing, especially on an empty stomach, it was built around a sophisticated core of clove, leather and castoreum, that made it quite unique.

Unfortunately, Gengis Khan reminds me of all the things I didn't like about VC&A: soapy and suffocating largesse. Like Red, I see this as a mossy, herbal aromatic fougère, it actually smells a lot like Irish Spring soap.

There's something sweet, that kicks in from the get-go that I really don't like; it makes me nauseous.

This one is just too dated, even in its reformulation.

Sound Scents

I can't speak to the new version, but I just bought the vintage juice and absolutely love it. The ginger in the open is quite impressive, and while I detect a bit of cumin and cardamom spice that dirty things up a bit, thankfully they are not overdone and work very well with the ginger. The sweetness Kevin mentions in his post could be the patchouli that is definitely also present in the composition as are some mossy soapy and woody notes. In the end, I find it primarily an herbal spicy scent first and foremost, and quite pleasant smelling. The vintage juice at least is sublime, IMO.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    The sweetness Kevin mentions in his post could be the patchouli that is definitely also present in the composition
    I don't find patchouli sweet at all...

Basenotes Institution

I struggle to like this one. Like Kevin's comments above, I find the strong soapy element of it a bit arresting. It strongly radiates itself, even from just one spray, and sort of smells like a bull in a china shop. Mostly, I think it's the aldehydes that are bothering me so much - I like some aldehydic scents but this one smells very 'frozen in time'. I'm not sure I would reach for this again. But, most likely, I will try this one again - maybe it'll smell different in freezing cold weather...stranger things have happened.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Great story...I am pleased you got the bottle...and more impressed the gentleman sent you one. That means much to me.

That is great news that de la Morandière is getting closer to a re-release of Gengis Khan and I'm pleased to read that he has been so generous as to send out advance samples to some basenoters!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    I don't remember where I read this, but someone had been disappointed by the concentration in the spray bottle. (I only have the splash bottle, so I cannot compare.) Any thoughts on the strength of the juice? (And have you compared the two; perhaps that other person was just imagining things.)
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    I found the quote from here. I suspect it might have more to do with the method of application than the juice. I get a very similar thing with Puredistance M. I prefer to roll it on than spray it because the top notes last longer.

That was me that posted about the two versions of vintage Gengis Khan. According to the labels on the boxes, I would like to confirm that both are Edt, but the splash is 85%/vol while the natural spray is 90%/vol. For those who don't believe me, I've also included a picture. There is definitely a difference between them, which could be attributed to several things: concentration, method of application, and/or age+ storage.

I prefer my sample of the more concentrated splash because the spicy top notes are more prominent and long lasting. I get a sichuan pepper note in there that gives it rare bite, while clove and nutmeg pack some punch. The spices are underscored by a blend of thyme, juniper, and bergamot that keep them from getting too tough and pave the way for the floral heart.

Is it possible, though, that my bottle of the less-concentrated spray was somehow not stored very well and has lost some of the kick in the top notes overtime? If so, that is a shame... I think it more likely the method of application and concentration. In the 90% version, the rose and jasmine heart are nice, but not as interesting without some fire from cloves and pepper it the top notes. I still get some spicy/herbal top notes, but they are a bit weak compared to the floral heart notes, even at first application.

I tend to wear them together and that balances the problem out. The thing is that I only have a mini of the 85% and a full bottle of the 90%. If the new one is like the more concentrated version, I'd definitely buy it again. If it is like the less concentrated version, I would not. I'm very interested to see what the re-formulation is like...
    Last edited by CMcG; 14th October 2012 at 02:40 PM. Reason: added a photo

Post GENGIS KHAN (New Formula): concentration

I sent an email to Marc de la Morandière to mention my concerns about the concentration and received a prompt reply from the man himself. The new version will be 80%/vol, which means it will be stronger than either of the two versions I currently have! He believes this will bring out the clove, pink pepper, jasmine, and pin needle, in the top and heart, but especially the incense and benzoin in the base. Now I'm really excited to try it!!!

De la Morandière considers the soon (hopefully) to be re-released version as identical to the original, just more concentrated. Apparently the moulds for the distinctive cap were lost (as someone else may have mentioned) and he is working remaking them, as well as a "luxurious" black presentation case. I know there have been many delays, but he is now apparently aiming for a Christmas 2012 re-release

Hopefully I got all that right. Our messages were exchanged in French and I'm a bit rusty

For those parties interested: Just received an updated e-mail from Marc de La Morandiere with an attached newsletter: Info similar to what my colleague up above received in his e-mail.

"Les Classiques: Bleu de Chine et Gengis Khan seront disponibles début 2013 dans leurs formules d'origine.
    Ces rééditions seront présentés dans de luxueux écrins et flacons numérotés, répliques exactes des originaux."

The Classics: Bleu de Chine and Gengis Khan will be available at the beginning of 2013 in their original formula. These re-editions will be presented in their luxurious bottles, numbered and copied exactly from the original ones.

Looks like he decided to ditch the reformulation of Gengis Khan and go back to the good thing he had prior.

To be honest, I had never tried the original and always thought it was some sort of a Basenotes joke when it was mentioned. I do remember that thread and it certainly sparked my interest. As a fan of spicy scents, I certainly will have to keep an eye out. If anyone would like to trade a sample, certainly let me know!

Congratulations Hednic on your persistence paying off!
    WANTED (full or partial bottles)
    Divine eau Divine (refillable)

I am now throughly confused on which is an old formula and which is the new (IFRA legal).
    Reading through the Gengis Khan threads I found 2 formula's:

Top: bergamot, lemon,resin
    Heart: nutmeg, rosemary, galbanum, patchouli, thyme
    Base: musk, amber

TOP: Bergamot, Citrus, Nutmeg, Clove, Pepper berries, Juniper berries, Thyme, Lavender, Mint,
    HEART: Rose, Jasmine, Lily of the valley,
    BASE: Vetiver, Pine leaf, Benzoin, Incense, Patchouli,

They appear extremely different from one another. Which is old and which is the re-formulated version?

On his website, he has the old bottle for sale- is it the older formula re-issued that basenoters wanted or is it the new?

I did notice that he also has Gengis Khan up for sale in a clear bottle-again I am assuming that it is the re-formulated version in that clear bottle? Which ingredient deck? #1 or #2?

Someone in the know please un-confuse me. I need some clarity!

Thanks!