Code of Conduct

Default Azzaro PH, the HOUDINI of fragrances ?

Hi all,

Arrrrrrr! I swear! Yesterday, I was so up beat to buy the ONLY single bottle of AZZARO PH at Marshall's for $29.00 for a 3.4 fl oz. size spray bottle. I earlier tested Azzaro PH at another store (which wanted about $75.00 a bottle). I tested Azzaro PH and fell in LOVE with it's magical wonderful aroma right away. Awesome (thinks I) so, I quickly head to another location buy the lone bottle of Azzaro PH at Marshall's. I walk into the store, over to the Fragrance area. Ah ha, it's still there hiding behind some other fragrances (I wonder how that happened wink wink). I buy it. Oooh yea, I'm happy right ? I get a GREAT deal right ? Whoa, not quite. Little did I know that, on "yours truly" SixCats! (aka The Black Hole of Scents) that Azzaro PH would pull a "HARRY HOUDINI" disappearing act in only about an HOUR of time! This really blew my mind, the fact that me, a overfed, longed haired leaping gnome should be the STAR of a Hollywood Movie! (Sorry, not sure why I put in the Eric Burdon reference, must be something to do with my fair skin). At any rate, WHAT ? One HOUR is all I get ? Awwww come on! After an hour, I have to stick my Nose directly onto my wrist in order to (somewhat) smell any remaining fragrance, and trust me, I am NOT light on the trigger. So, in short, I am VERY disappointed with (my experience) the VERY short lived life of (Harry) Azzaro PH. If I weren't such an idiot, I'd return the bottle to Marshall's, however, I stupidly tossed the receipt into the trash which is now gone. Arrrrrrr! So, the question begs, now what ? Now what (POWER HOUSE ?) fragrance do I try next ?

Regards,
    SixCats!

Default Re: Azzaro PH, the HOUDINI of fragrances ?

Have you asked people around you what they think? This stuff have more projection than you think. Maybe your nose just playing you a trick. This work easy 4-6 hours on me.

Azzaro PH a great classic frangrance which I enjoy very much. Likely no will agree with me, but it reminds me somewhat of Dial soap (classic gold bar). I too find it to be a rather weak one in terms of sillage, and also regarding longevity. I put about 10 sprays on and that helps with the longevity (four to the chest, 3 to each forearm). I still think you got a good deal.

Hi guys,

json, no, I haven't yet asked anyone as I just got the fragrance late yesterday afternoon. Perhaps you could be correct but, I have been through this a few times in this hobby. Hamp, yea, I'm right with you regarding longevity and sillage. I also agree with you about the amount of sprays, I go pretty NUTZ! I'll just have to give it some more time and see if I get ANY comments from being around people. I dunno, I suppose I shouldn't complain considering the price. I did get a pretty good deal.

Regards,
    SixCats!

Quote Originally Posted by SixCats View Post
    Awwww come on! After an hour, I have to stick my Nose directly onto my wrist in order to (somewhat) smell any remaining fragrance
    This is the case with most fragrances, unless you go the niche route. Regardless I get 8+ hours with ApH. You might wanna check out Paco Rabanne pH, IMO it has better longevity/projection, but I'm not very fond of the smell personally. Cuba Black, may also work in your favor, it's along the lines of ApH, the lavender is most prominent though, it can get very cloying if over-applied.

Hi The,

Ummmm, Lavender eh ? Yea, prominent most likely equals cloying. I had some Paco Rabanne PH but just ran out. I tried a sample of Paco 1 Million yesterday and dear God, it's a MONSTER! I kinda like the smell but, I am not sure if it would be too sweet/cloying. I wonder how the other Paco fragrances fair ? I would consider buying Paco PH again but, I'd like to buy it on sale, that is to say, a BIG sale. Thanks for the suggestions.

Regards,
    SixCats!

How many sprays are you applying? When I first got this one I think I overapplied and burnt my nose out on it; I couldn't really smell anything a few hours after putting it on, though I suspect people around me could smell it. But I subsequently have dialed down my application, and I get pretty good longevity out of it and can smell wafts it over long after it has been on me.

I get the same problem. For some reason this is one that seems to last longer when liberally applied.

Wear it on your shirt...

Ta-daaa

Find vintage Azzaro PH (or Azzaro Intense) and you will be in longevity HEAVEN.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

A true classic IMO. Longevity great on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    Find vintage Azzaro PH (or Azzaro Intense) and you will be in longevity HEAVEN.
    What the gentleman said!

A wonderful balance between rich and fresh. Longevity OK, considering the price.

My skin soaks up 99% of fragrances. I get a good 6 hours with Azzaro ph with 4-6 shots. I agree to spray some on your shirt.
    La vita breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've never had any longevity issues with Azzaro PH - it may be olfactory fatigue as others have pointed out as it's pretty strong stuff. I've always found it a 'less is more' type of frag - any more than 5 shots and it can be very cloying and monotonous. 3-4 sprays and the orange glow which surrounds the wearer is fragrance heaven. Maybe you've bought a duff bottle...?

Quote Originally Posted by Derbyman View Post
    I've never had any longevity issues with Azzaro PH - it may be olfactory fatigue as others have pointed out as it's pretty strong stuff. I've always found it a 'less is more' type of frag - any more than 5 shots and it can be very cloying and monotonous. 3-4 sprays and the orange glow which surrounds the wearer is fragrance heaven. Maybe you've bought a duff bottle...?
    Yours, perhaps, is a vintage bottle?

No idea about the poor longevity of this scent, it seems to last significantly more hours than just one, at least on me.

Hi guys,

I really don't know what to say. Perhaps it's due to Olfactory fatigue but, I am called "The Black Hole of Scents" for a good reason! Hamp, I don't know what a "vintage" bottle of Azzaro might look like compared to the newER bottle ? DM, I take it by "duff" you mean bad/off/out of date ? Mind you all, I really LOVE the fragrance, it's just doesn't seem that strong other than moments from the spray. Now, the new Paco 1 Million, dear God, that stuff I sprayed on a test card and it was STRONG hours later! Perhaps I'll just hang onto the Azzaro PH to use in the Fall, which here in Maine comes pretty darn early. Again, perhaps you guys are right, perhaps my Nose just isn't what it use to be. Thanks all.

Regards,
    SixCats!

The problem must be your body chemistry. My skin eats some scents, but not others.

I generally apply 4 sprays of Azzaro to the chestal area, and I can still smell it 5-6 hours later, every time.

OTOH, Jicky and Yohji Homme both last about an hour on me, regardless of how heavily I spray. Boo.

Beats me why anyone calls this scent a powerhouse. I tested it for a decade and didn't buy it because it was relatively subtle. I finally bought it for $14 at K -Mart.
    Regards,
    Renato

Hi Andy,

Yep, I'm inclined to agree with you. I guess this is the reason I mostly look for STRONG/POWERFUL fragrances. Hi Ren, yea, this is just perplexing. I don't recall my Niche fragrances having this problem so much. Man, I miss my CREED Tabarome Millesime. I gotta get another bottle.

Regards,
    SixCats!

Quote Originally Posted by SixCats View Post
    Hi Andy,

Yep, I'm inclined to agree with you. I guess this is the reason I mostly look for STRONG/POWERFUL fragrances. Hi Ren, yea, this is just perplexing. I don't recall my Niche fragrances having this problem so much. Man, I miss my CREED Tabarome Millesime. I gotta get another bottle.

Regards,
    SixCats!
    Shame you weren't here two years back when I posted about a local dealer selling big bottles of Tabarome Millesime for $67 each. I bought two to add to the one I had. I have so much of it that I wear it for special occasions like buying the groceries or buying petrol or going to the beach.

Odd thing is, I've never had a single positive comment from wearing it.

I forgot to ask you, did the longest lasting scent on the planet, Joop Homme, last on you?
    Or did your amazing skin do it in too?
    Cheers,
    Renato

Hi Renato,

Wow, sorry I missed out on the Tabarome Millesime. Tabarome Millesime is perhaps my favorite "over all/all around" fragrance. Man, too much time has passed to recall how Joop! reacted on my SPONGE like skin. I think I'll just have to buy a "tester" of Borgart One Man Show or Borgart PH for a controlled experiment.

Regards,
    SixCats!

Azzaro PH is a classic, formal and so civilised! I enjoy it utterly despite it falls into "old ppl scent" category, but I don't see it that way at all. When it calms down after initial spray - all the beauty and complexity comes out.

It seems to me that pretty well every men's fragrance on the market has a thread on this forum dedicated to its lack of longevity.

The only surprise here is that no one is claiming that they have the "original" version that lasts forever, while the "reformulated" version disappears as soon as you spray it.