Code of Conduct

Thread: I figure by not

Default I figure by not

having a kid, I can afford roughly 1,250 $200 niche bottles. I'd never buy that many, but the option is there. That's before college BTW.

Default Re: I figure by not

O_o
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

$250,000 on fragrances!!

I love the hobby as much as most posters on this forum, but I simply couldn't justify anything close to that.

That's $13,888 a year on fragrances, or $1,157 a month!! Or if you look at it on an average 40 hour-working week, you're depleting your income by $7 an hour!!

Not sure why i've done the math, but that my good sir is equitable to a mortgage.

Hell, I'd sooner have a nice second home somewhere for the holidays than have a quarter of a mill fragrance collection. Imagine your contents insurance premiums!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    having a kid, I can afford roughly 1,250 $200 niche bottles. I'd never buy that many, but the option is there. That's before college BTW.
    Spoken like a true addict Stew!
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'll alert the media.

That's the price of a kid these days BEFORE college in the states. If you plan on paying for that too, add about $120,000 to it.
    Last edited by Stew; 25th January 2013 at 05:52 PM.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Kids are expensive, no doubt about that. I just handed mine some extra cafeteria money as she left for the bus stop. Today's the last full day before finals.

But oh, the rewards!

You could buy even more by selling a kidney.

And that's just for one...! Kid I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    And that's just for one...! Kid I mean.
    Haha yeah.

But there's nothing like little children.

for swap/sale:

Congratulations!...so; what's the point...??

Banned

I think a serious re-alignment of priorities should be considered.

You could sell your blood and be able to afford a few more bottles each year.

Besides, maybe you can have a kid who also loves fragrances - but then the expenses will rise, since you would have to share.
    On a more serious note, though I am in no position to give any advice, simply start out with affordable, yet still good designers, gradually work your way/branch out into niche and own less niche bottles at first, thus the impact on your financial situation won't be as radical, whether you have a kid or not.

Also, if money were NOT the issue, the situation would thus be ideal - affording both niche bottles and having kids.

I'm sure this is a joke, but I could never compare the life of a kid to any amount of material things...

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    I'm sure this is a joke, but I could never compare the life of a kid to any amount of material things...
    He's not, actually. He's just estimating how much perfume he could buy with the financial savings from not having a hypothetical kid. There's nobody's life hanging in the balance. Better to get those priorities sorted out now!

Quote Originally Posted by Kagey View Post
    He's not, actually. He's just estimating how much perfume he could buy with the financial savings from not having a hypothetical kid. There's nobody's life hanging in the balance. Better to get those priorities sorted out now!
    There's no savings if the plan was never to have a kid in the first place. So it is kind of a "should I have a kid or niche collection" question the way it's phrased. I still can't compare the 2.

a year of diapers or liquid crystal? Ha, no, I just kept reading about the cost of kids these days and wanted to see what I could do with it instead. I'm not trying to decide between one or the other.

If you "figure by not," you might want to enroll yourself in a few classes before worrying about future children. What's the point of this thread?

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Hmm, on the other end of life, kids can reduce one's expenses.

If my mother, who has dementia, had to pay someone to do all the things I do for free...just sayin'.....

Negative Population Growth (NPG) is a worthy goal. Much better than recycling plastic bottles and having an energy efficient car, etc.. Made that choice myself long ago. And I smell great!
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Lets rob this guy tonight!

I like mice. They make good pets but since I've been trying fragrances I can't afford! Mice used to be 50 cents when I was little now there like $5!!!!!

Basenotes Junkie

I'd much rather have a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    Hmm, on the other end of life, kids can reduce one's expenses.

If my mother, who has dementia, had to pay someone to do all the things I do for free...just sayin'.....
    but the money you save from not raising a kid, should be enough to pay for good care, plus there's no guarantee you'll need help or the kid will be willing to do it

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

but the money you save from not raising a kid, should be enough to pay for good care....
    ...it might be, unless you spent it already on other things (like perfumes!)

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    ...it might be, unless you spent it already on other things (like perfumes!)
    Ha!

I think it's swell either way. Just don't have the kid but spend all your money on fragrance anyway.

Every time I hear about someone getting pregnant I always think to myself, "there goes their Lexus".
    Last edited by Stew; 25th January 2013 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kybid View Post
    I'd much rather have a kid.
    Want mine?

...?

KIDDING! I'm in the childless-by-choice camp. I totally respect people who choose to become parents. In fact, I have a few good friends who want nothing more than to start a family. I understand it, but only from an outsider's point of view because I've never once felt that urge. It's not the financial aspect that is a turn off for me though. It's the lifestyle. It's funny how the same things that make me realize I don't want to raise children are often the very things that make others certain they DO want to raise children. Different strokes for different folks, eh? I actually think that's great.

Speaking of expenses... I wonder how much the average person who posts in this forum spends per year on fragrances.

Why So Serious?

Speaking of kids, my wife is pregnant and baby is due this August. I'm planning to quit this hobby and spend the money on the kid, hopefully he grows up and recognizes his dad's hobby and in return buy him some nice juices.

Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Yosh Sombre Negra
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    You could buy even more by selling a kidney.
    Hmmm... (starts thinking)
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

Quote Originally Posted by swix View Post
    I'm in the childless-by-choice camp. I totally respect people who choose to become parents. In fact, I have a few good friends who want nothing more than to start a family. I understand it, but only from an outsider's point of view because I've never once felt that urge. It's not the financial aspect that is a turn off for me though. It's the lifestyle. It's funny how the same things that make me realize I don't want to raise children are often the very things that make others certain they DO want to raise children.
    ++++++1 (as of now). But...my mom and dad said they swore up and down that they would never, ever, ever have kids, until one day some switch flipped, and here I am. So that could happen. Or maybe I was an accident and that is their way of justifying it.

Anyway. My switch (and my wife's) is now entirely unflipped.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Some people, whether male or female, are not made to be good parents, I think - which is to say, they lack some of the intuitions that would make it either enjoyable for them, or. more broadly, particularly wise. Hence there is nothing wrong with weighing options against each other. Personally, I would like to have children some day - though goodness knows if f I ever will. It is not and cannot be for everyone, though.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by HackerX View Post
    Speaking of kids, my wife is pregnant and baby is due this August. I'm planning to quit this hobby and spend the money on the kid, hopefully he grows up and recognizes his dad's hobby and in return buy him some nice juices.

well good luck and dont forget to post a sales thread here of your collection.lol

Quote Originally Posted by Merely View Post
    Some people, whether male or female, are not made to be good parents, I think - which is to say, they lack some of the intuitions that would make it either enjoyable for them, or. more broadly, particularly wise.
    I don't think that's it at all. I've actually had women ask me on dates because they thought I'd make a great father. I am a very nurturing person and tend to end up in teaching/mentoring roles often, both at work and even sometimes in my social life. And I love babies too. I'm great with them, but man oh man do I love being able to hand them to their parents when our dinner party ends and I go back to my quiet peaceful child-free home. There's a difference between being good at something and wanting to do it. Some of us simply don't want the lifestyle that comes with children. The idea of having to find a babysitter for a date-night... ew! Even the thought of it makes me shudder. Raising a child is more or less a 20 year commitment, and that only covers 9 months of pregnancy plus the 18 years and a few months through high school.

A: Congrats to you both! To all three of you, really!
    B: I guess it depends on what form of this hobby you practice. Are you a collector for the collection's sake, or are you more of a sniffer? It would be awesome if this forum had an expert on budget scents. I've seen many people here comment on how they own $20 scents that outshine their $200 scents. Of course, that's not the norm among cheap scents, but there are some amazing budget-friendly ones to be found.
    Last edited by swix; 22nd June 2012 at 02:29 AM.

Blog Entries

If we had estimated ahead of time exactly HOW MUCH raising kids will cost over a lifetime, our two sons would not be here now. And after all is said and done, and the kids have grown up, it is true though that I have more perfumes than ever before !! It all works out.

I am beginning to wonder how much most Basenoters do spend on perfumes, if they added up the value of their collection.
    There are no answers, only choices. (Stanislav Lem)

I think if you're making a decision on having children using that as one of your reasoning points, you should DEFINITELY not have a kid.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Actually, I'm going the opposite route.

I'm actually not going to work at all, and just have 10 kids on welfare.

And then use the checks to buy a Creed every week.

This!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    Congratulations!...so; what's the point...??

Quote Originally Posted by racuda View Post
    You could sell your blood and be able to afford a few more bottles each year.
    Now there's a better plan...and plasma, too.

Having kids is *way* better than any stupid hobby. It's not easy, it's moderately expensive to raise 'em, but it's important and rewarding. If you raise good kids, and they become good, productive adults, you've made a great contribution to society.
    OK.... I'm done preaching.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Speaking of kids, my wife is pregnant and baby is due this August.

Congratulations, brotato
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Just think what you could afford if you didn't have two kids!
    Alan

I've spent WAYYY too much on fragrances over the one year I have been in this. No regrets, but I hope to show a little more restraint this year... I already have 100x more than I could ever wear...

Kids are fun for sure - no regrets there either... But they don't smell nearly as good as my Aventus. And if any turn out to be really good at sports, I just might be able to turn a profit on them.

Cool story, bro.
    My 3 Signature Scents:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)

I had to laugh at this. It's a shame that we have enough time on our hands to calculate out something like that. I think about stuff like this off and on, but had never thought of it that way. Maybe I'll calculate how many bottles I will be able to purchase in the next 5 to 10 years and break it down monthly then present it to my wife. WHo knows, maybe she'll go for it!!!