Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Angry Aventus got me in trouble at work

OK, now I need to apologize to anyone that I said about the 2012 batch I received. Apparently I thought it was weak and so did my gf. So what did I do? I put 8 sprays on today before work. (I work in an office environment) I started hearing people complain about how strong an odor was and people moving away from their cubicles. Shortly after people started complaining about headaches and then my boss brought me in a room to tell me people have been complaining about how strong my cologne is. I always got great feedback from people including girls at my other job. They said it may be a little strong but smells great. Well not this new job I have. I got hit hard and feel embarrassed and afraid to wear any cologne again. I mean it's one thing to have one person complain, but I got a bunch of people aggravated and now I feel like "that guy" thanks to Aventus. You can never figure this cologne out, will it be strong, will it be weak, will others like it? My gf loves it and I've gotten numerous compliments on this beast, but today has honestly been the most humiliating experience ever. I feel awful.

I want to wear some fragrance to work so I'm thinking of just spraying three sprays of Millesime Imperial, but I'm afraid that will offend everyone as well.

All I can say to fellow basenoters is whether you think it's weak or strong, don't spray more than 3 sprays with this one. It apparently is a weapon of mass destruction.

THIS WAS WITH A 2012 BATCH BTW.

Default Re: Aventus got me in trouble at work

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJoe81 View Post
    OK, now I need to apologize to anyone that I said about the 2012 batch I received. Apparently I thought it was weak and so did my gf. So what did I do? I put 8 sprays on today before work. (I work in an office environment) I started hearing people complain about how strong an odor was and people moving away from their cubicles. Shortly after people started complaining about headaches and then my boss brought me in a room to tell me people have been complaining about how strong my cologne is. I always got great feedback from people including girls at my other job. They said it may be a little strong but smells great. Well not this new job I have. I got hit hard and feel embarrassed and afraid to wear any cologne again. I mean it's one thing to have one person complain, but I got a bunch of people aggravated and now I feel like "that guy" thanks to Aventus. You can never figure this cologne out, will it be strong, will it be weak, will others like it? My gf loves it and I've gotten numerous compliments on this beast, but today has honestly been the most humiliating experience ever. I feel awful.

I want to wear some fragrance to work so I'm thinking of just spraying three sprays of Millesime Imperial, but I'm afraid that will offend everyone as well.

All I can say to fellow basenoters is whether you think it's weak or strong, don't spray more than 3 sprays with this one. It apparently is a weapon of mass destruction.

Try 8 sprays of Kouros or Angel Men. Ha

Dude 8 sprays is prolly about $7. Take it easy. 2-3 at most.

Quote Originally Posted by dogsinatub View Post
    Try 8 sprays of Kouros or Angel Men. Ha

Dude 8 sprays is prolly about $7. Take it easy. 2-3 at most.
    Honestly I'm so tempted to blast the place down with kouros tomorrow, but I'll lay low. I need my job.

EIGHT!!! : good lord were you trying to gas everyone in the place? i made the mistake of applying 3 sprays and got complaints that i had on too much cologne (a dog also repeatedly tried to hump the heck out of my leg out of a group of 10 people) and i have never repeated that error. 2 sprays max and I'm good to go.

I love the way it smells, if someone else smells it and compliments me, good if not just catching that occasional whiff throughout the day is enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by papillo View Post
    EIGHT!!! : good lord were you trying to gas everyone in the place? i made the mistake of applying 3 sprays and got complaints that i had on too much cologne (a dog also repeatedly tried to hump the heck out of my leg out of a group of 10 people) and i have never repeated that error. 2 sprays max and I'm good to go.

I love the way it smells, if someone else smells it and compliments me, good if not just catching that occasional whiff throughout the day is enough for me.

Apparently I did gas the place...lol I only sprayed that much because I really thought I had a weak batch. Oops...

Sorry to hear you got taken aside by your boss because of your fragrance. A lot of us have experienced the same type of thing where a scent was stronger than we thought. I once wore Tobacco Vanille to work in a meeting in a small room with the air con on high. My rising body heat made the the scent project like a beast and stunk the room out.lol.... Luckly everyone just laughed and thought it was funny though they had to open the door.

Apparently I did gas the place...lol I only sprayed that much because I really thought I had a weak batch. Oops...
    Are you Jersey Joe from Youtube by chance?

Quote Originally Posted by dogsinatub View Post
    Are you Jersey Joe from Youtube by chance?

Yes that is me

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Sorry to hear you got taken aside by your boss because of your fragrance. A lot of us have experienced the same type of thing where a scent was stronger than we thought. I once wore Tobacco Vanille to work in a meeting in a small room with the air con on high. My rising body heat made the the scent project like a beast and stunk the room out.lol.... Luckly everyone just laughed and thought it was funny though they had to open the door.
    Hey at least you got a laugh out of it. I'm pretty shaken up from the whole thing since I'm sensitive as it is. I'm going to stick to MI for a while. I just got Rose 31 and want to wear this as well, but I have to go light for a while.... :-/

Sorry to hear that JoeJoe. Bvlgari Man for you in the office for a while!
    La vita č breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basenotes Institution

Asphyxiation by Aventus - I can think of worse ways to go ,really.
    I am sorry you got pulled aside by your boss , Joe Joe - that is horrible. At least you did smell good.
    Better lie low for a while.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

1 neck 1 on each wrist is perfect works for most frags as well for me.

I can understand how this happened, the more Aventus I apply the less I can smell it. I only have a sample vial but just a little dab goes a long way.

In addition, I wouldn't waste that fine juice at work anyway. Givenchy Gentleman is a perfect work scent. Bleu de Chanel is a great work scent as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Asphyxiation by Aventus - I can think of worse ways to go ,really.
    I am sorry you got pulled aside by your boss , Joe Joe - that is horrible. At least you did smell good.
    Better lie low for a while.

Thanks---I needed to vent

Thanks everyone...I had noone to talk to about this ordeal, but I knew I could always count on good ol' basenotes. Only people that understand the fragrance world. and dogsinatub----Chanel Bleu is pretty potent stuff. I love it, but it packs a punch.

If office protocol permits, a good way out of this is to show up with some pass-around food or snacks as a make good effort and allow for some face saving self deprication. Your rep will survive just fine.

Basenotes Member

My rule is 4 sprays MAX no matter what the scent is. You may not smell it because of olfactory fatigue but other people definitely will. 2 shots to the neck, 1 to the chest... or 2 shots to the chest 1 to the neck depending on the scent is what I usually do

Heh, good story, I usually apply 4-5 sprays of this on my neck and 1 to each wrist, and it dies within a few hours. My skin is really terrible to fragrances though, it can tame most anything

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    Heh, good story, I usually apply 4-5 sprays of this on my neck and 1 to each wrist, and it dies within a few hours. My skin is really terrible to fragrances though, it can tame most anything
    That is my situation, but this fragrance is just a mystery. It creeps up on you and when it projects it PROJECTS!

Sorry to hear your story JoeJoe. I feel ur pain and I'm sure most people do on these boards as well.

Try Azzaro PH or even 4711 in moderation as work scents and you can't go wrong. In some climates I even find MI strong. More than five sprays of that and you would have people complaining. It's the ambergris I think...

I agree with others. Don't waste Aventus at work. There are better things to wear Aventus to!

That's because you sprayed yourself 8 times!, I wouldn't do that with any fragrance!, well, not to work anyways (Clubbing may be the only exception in all fairness....MAYBE :P)

Quote Originally Posted by mimi gardenia View Post
    asphyxiation by aventus - i can think of worse ways to go ,really.
    lol!

until this happens to me eventually I still wouldn't fully understand Aventus..it's a weird one, though I don't wear it that often to these types of situations, so the situation wouldn't present itself in the first place

Never happened to me... and I wish it had...
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8 sprays of anything in an office environment will stuff the air up.

Quote Originally Posted by PradaG View Post
    8 sprays of anything in an office environment will stuff the air up.
    Dolce & Gabbana The One says hi

C'mon bro! It's work! You don't need 8 sprays of ANYTHING! I don't care how light it is.

Don't know what to think, I've literally bathed myself in strong stuff like tobacco vanilla, black aoud, apls.... and never got any comment beyond "yes, it smells good, a little subtle perhaps..."
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EIGHT sprays?

I think there are a lot of people who have abused scents to the point where they've desensitized their noses. I can't imagine wearing more than 4 sprays of anything... and even that is assuming whatever I'm wearing isn't very strong. 5 sprays is the point where you have to ask yourself "Is it REALLY that subtle or am I overdoing it?" 6 sprays or more and you're bad-cologne-guy, but you don't realize it because you've desensitized your nose. I say "bad-cologne" because even wonderful smells can feel toxic to others when overdone.

Think of it this way... have you ever made something for dinner and notice how good it smells... but then later, you don't notice anymore? Then, you walk outside for a moment - maybe to get the mail or take out the trash - and when you walk back in, you realize how much your place still smells like dinner? Smells last longer than we realize because we get used to them. After a while, the scent becomes a norm, and your nose (and brain, really) kind of filters it out, instead only noticing whatever smells different.

It's important to learn the difference between you not noticing a scent anymore because you've become used to it and how much other people will still be able to smell whatever you're wearing.

I'm not saying you ARE bad-cologne-guy... but if you are, here's how to fix a desensitized nose. Take well documented baby-steps over a long period of time, backing off ever so slowly. Seriously, put it in your calendar. If you're really used to wearing that much of a scent, figure out what your average is and then DO NOT EVER GO ABOVE THAT. Over a six month period, back off ever so slightly so that you don't notice the change at the time, but over time, you'll notice a big difference (and you'll probably notice an improvement in your sense of smell).

Keep in mind that when people tell you things like "Your cologne is kind of strong but smells good" is often their way of dropping a hint. Nobody wants to be mean, especially if you're a nice guy, so people tend to do the bad/good thing in hopes the person they're talking to can take a hint. "Kind if strong" almost always means "Wear less." And, like I said, if you're so used to wearing a ton of scents, odds are good that your sense of smell has been desensitized.

Like other said, I don't wear my really good stuff to work. I mean, it is VERRRRY rare that I throw on my $100+ stuff for work. I save that for social functions, church, etc. Not tryna impress anyone I work with.

I suppose I should point out something I've rarely seen mentioned on these forums but that can help out in these situations.

Where to spray is important. I won't write a thesis on this but its important to remember one area is particularly good for office wear - that's behind your knees. It's far away from yours and others' face (I hope!) and if sat down at a desk all day long will project lightly yet not 'all the time'. As your body releases sweat from the glands there the fragrance will slowly release into the air.

Remember no matter what the area is, don't overspray!

That is my situation, but this fragrance is just a mystery. It creeps up on you and when it projects it PROJECTS!
    All I can say is that this is the weirdest scent out there. So many strange stories it should be in a science fiction novel. And on me I can't even smell it.

Good story (doesn't seem so right now to you though). In a few days I'm sure you'll be the target of a few good jokes. Roll with the punches, could happen to anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by swix View Post
    EIGHT sprays?

I think there are a lot of people who have abused scents to the point where they've desensitized their noses. I can't imagine wearing more than 4 sprays of anything... and even that is assuming whatever I'm wearing isn't very strong. 5 sprays is the point where you have to ask yourself "Is it REALLY that subtle or am I overdoing it?" 6 sprays or more and you're bad-cologne-guy, but you don't realize it because you've desensitized your nose. I say "bad-cologne" because even wonderful smells can feel toxic to others when overdone.
    My normal application is six sprays and nobody has ever complained. Very rarely someone notices and compliments the scent but even then they are not quite sure I am wearing a cologne. Who knows? Maybe they are just being polite.

Quote Originally Posted by >BOOMER< View Post
    Good story (doesn't seem so right now to you though). In a few days I'm sure you'll be the target of a few good jokes. Roll with the punches, could happen to anyone.
    Might actually be a good idea not to wear anything for a few weeks until things blow over (fragrance I mean, not clothes). The next time this happens you WILL have a reputation and anything people smell they will assume it is you again...

This is work and you are not there to be noticed, much less cause a commotion and headaches. If you keep it cool, by office-party time in December this will just be a funny story.

Somewhere on here there is a long, long thread about wearing scent at work (also some talk about inappropriate clothing in there as well). Some places scent is banned altogether and a lot of people apparently have had similar experiences to yours.
    Last edited by BurgundyMarsh; 13th June 2012 at 12:09 AM.

For work go 1 spray on the chest. That's max for Aventus @ work!

But yeah, I'd stick to MI for a while. I started a new job today, and I was terrified to be too loud! Turns out as soon as I met my new co-worker, she was wearing Angel, so - I know I'll always be the 2nd loudest employee at this job, no matter what I wear!

I wore GIT today, playing it safe. 1.5 sprays. The 2011 batch is kinda strong, so I didn't want to overwhelm anyone! I feel bad for you bro, sometimes it's hard to determine how strong a fragrance is until someone wants to punch your face. After a few days of playing it safe, folks will forget all about it, don't worry. That, or take a bottle of Kouros to a work, and hose down someone else's cubicle with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BurgundyMarsh View Post
    Might actually be a good idea not to wear anything for a few weeks until things blow over. The next time this happens you will have a reputation and anything people smell they will assume it is you again...

This is work and you are not there to be noticed, much less cause a commotion.
    he wasn't trying to get noticed, he had no idea!

That sucks, Joe. I personally wouldn't wear anything for a while. But do what you think is best.

Remember. Just because people don't verbalize that they smell your cologne, doesn't mean they don't smell it. And in the case of Aventus, just because you can't smell it, doesn't mean that others can't also.

Jeff

good thread man thanks. for a new fragrance wearer like me, this definitly helps in a what not to do situation. oh yeah and dont worry about your coworkers. they will forget in a year anyways

Blog Entries

LOL, I worked at an inpatient psychiatric hospital once, and we had a client empty an entire can of AX body spray on himself. It was literally dripping off of his hair. We had to strip the bed, wash his clothes send him to the showers, open windows, and the smell still was there the next day!

Mugler cologne for awhile buddy.

You aren't alone:

Quote Originally Posted by Possum-Pie View Post
    LOL, I worked at an inpatient psychiatric hospital once, and we had a client empty an entire can of AX body spray on himself. It was literally dripping off of his hair. We had to strip the bed, wash his clothes send him to the showers, open windows, and the smell still was there the next day!
    haha I'm a psychiatrist at an inpatient psych hospital. I wear Aventus to work quite often but use 2-3 sprays and I get complimented a lot. A can of Axe would be terrible.

I still can't get over the guy I saw at Neiman Marcus who sprayed about 20 sprays of A*Men from a tester to his neck and hairy chest.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Time for some Gucci PH2 me thinks.

I once gassed an entire aircraft with Kouros (was a flight attendant) and was put work at a place where they were no women or children :-) but the chick that i worked with was really digin' it though the captain felt otherwise later - from that moment onwards Kouros was prohibited for use in any pressured aircraft by crew members.

They even named me gasganesh for a while that name; would have stuck if i am not 6'2 an had poor built.

cheer up.

You only have one choice....

Resign

For Aventus's sake of course
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Sovski View Post
    My rule is 4 sprays MAX no matter what the scent is. You may not smell it because of olfactory fatigue but other people definitely will. 2 shots to the neck, 1 to the chest... or 2 shots to the chest 1 to the neck depending on the scent is what I usually do
    ^This!

I think that 8 sprays are rather too much for ANY GIVEN FRAGRANCE but hey, at least it's Aventus :P. So yeah, I guess you should lay low for a while. Have a try at Gucci Pour Homme 2. It's a great office scent!

I wore Aventus boating once, and 7 hours later, my friend could still smell it at the back of the boat!

Just wear Diors Eau Sauvage
    2 sprays
    all you need
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by jamwires View Post
    he wasn't trying to get noticed, he had no idea!
    Possibly not, but eight sprays of a legendary and very expensive cologne kind of suggests otherwise...

I'm sure no long term harm was done but I would stay off the cologne at the office for awhile.

It's Aventus you foolish mortals! If anything, I deserve a promotion!

Quote Originally Posted by socalwoman View Post
    You aren't alone:
    Wow! All this happened with three sprays imagine what eight would have been like...

I would stop wearing fragrances at work, jobs are hard to come by these days and it doesn't take much to get pushed to the top of the list when layoffs come. One person starts complaining about you again and that could be it. Play it safe from here on out and if people are still talking about it a month from now and not letting it blow over start looking for another job because thats a sign you are on the outs. Good luck.

That Mickers vid is a classic

8 sprays of Aventus is a bit much, keep in mind that 8 sprays form a Creed atomizer is like 10-12 from a "normal" bottle. For work 3 sprays is more than enough, bring a decant if you need to.

Quote Originally Posted by Postumo View Post
    Don't know what to think, I've literally bathed myself in strong stuff like tobacco vanilla, black aoud, apls.... and never got any comment beyond "yes, it smells good, a little subtle perhaps..."
    Same with me...kind of depressing right? I usually spray some in my hair and on my clothes depending on the color of juice.

Damn, I didn't know Dan had got kicked out of work for this frag! Ya, I'm going to play it safe and not wear anything for a while. Kind of sucks how Aventus really is the frag that can scare people away or make them drool for you. I'll never understand the fragrance. I

You can't discount that some have become hyper sensitive to just even the idea of fragrance in the workplace. It could be now you will be the target of people looking for a reason to whine and biatch if they even detect the mere presence of any scent at all. Tread carefully now is all I can say.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Aventus is one to go very easy on the trigger.. I mean sprayer. Lol