Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Aventus got me in trouble at work

I used to think Aventus is a comfort scent. Maybe, your boss doesnt want your coworkers to get distracted rather than bad aroma.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJoe81 View Post
    OK, now I need to apologize to anyone that I said about the 2012 batch I received. Apparently I thought it was weak and so did my gf. So what did I do? I put 8 sprays on today before work. (I work in an office environment) I started hearing people complain about how strong an odor was and people moving away from their cubicles. Shortly after people started complaining about headaches and then my boss brought me in a room to tell me people have been complaining about how strong my cologne is. I always got great feedback from people including girls at my other job. They said it may be a little strong but smells great. Well not this new job I have. I got hit hard and feel embarrassed and afraid to wear any cologne again. I mean it's one thing to have one person complain, but I got a bunch of people aggravated and now I feel like "that guy" thanks to Aventus. You can never figure this cologne out, will it be strong, will it be weak, will others like it? My gf loves it and I've gotten numerous compliments on this beast, but today has honestly been the most humiliating experience ever. I feel awful.

I want to wear some fragrance to work so I'm thinking of just spraying three sprays of Millesime Imperial, but I'm afraid that will offend everyone as well.

All I can say to fellow basenoters is whether you think it's weak or strong, don't spray more than 3 sprays with this one. It apparently is a weapon of mass destruction.

THIS WAS WITH A 2012 BATCH BTW.
    I bought the 2013 batch from the boutique and haven't been wearing it( cuz it's so pricey), but decided to yesterday at work too. I did 3 sprays only and to me it's weak, but dude for like 4.5 hours every time I'd walk by people would be like "whoooaaaa, you're wearing that too strong." And things like that. I'm talking hours after application when I have nose fatigue bad already and I lost the smell. This stuff is STRONG and I feel your pain. I'm gonna start doing one spray under the shirt unless I'm wearing it out.

The only thing I have that I would ever to 8 sprays of is Eau de Cologne Imperiale, and even then I only did 3 this AM. Better to be subtle at the office!

One spray on your tummy under the shirt and all day it will waft upwards in full strength to your nose but not too outwards.

Misleading thread title. Should read "I got myself in trouble at work because 8 sprays of any type of fragrance is way too much in an office environment."

Hell, 8 sprays is way too much in ANY type of environment. Lesson learned though. I did 3 sprays of A*Men once and felt the need to apologize to everyone I came in contact with.
    My top 5 changes like the Tennessee weather.

The heaviest I ever spray to work is 5-6 and that's only with Bergamote 22. Works for that fragrance - never had a complaint. But 8 is insane, and 8 of Aventus is really bad.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud Musk______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

I wore 10+ sprays of AB Silver by Lomani (Aventus clone) to work yesterday and guess what, no complaints. Actually, I got a compliment. Some fragrances require heavy spraying. My bottle of Aventus seems weak, I don't think 5-7 sprays would offend anyone.

I once threw about 4/5 sprays of Aventus on and was standing on the street waiting for someone when a friend of mine turned round the corner of the block and said he could smell me in the next street.

I blamed the wind conditions.

After 2 year this thread has come alive.

Read all three pages and had a laugh

8 Sprays? You're lucky you still have a job man!

He may not have - will we ever know?

The next time I purchase this (when, not if) I will try one big spray on my chest and see how that works.

Default Aventus got me in trouble at work

1 spray from a Creed bottle is like 3 sprays from a normal bottle. Dior is probably 2 for 1. One of the major reasons why people are anosmic to Creeds. Less is more unless you want to kill your nose and anyone within your zip code.

Sent from Richard's Ipad
    Last edited by silentrich; 14th May 2014 at 10:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    1 spray from a Creed bottle is like 3 sprays from a normal bottle. Dior is probably 2 for 1. One of the major reasons why people are anosmic to Creeds. Less is more unless you want to kill your nose and anyone within your zip code.

Sent from Richard's Ipad
    Oh yeah, Creed sprayers put out a TON of juice!(I've found Chanel sprayers are no slouch either)

MyMickers from youtube had the same exact story.

Quote Originally Posted by Pipsta View Post
    You can't discount that some have become hyper sensitive to just even the idea of fragrance in the workplace. It could be now you will be the target of people looking for a reason to whine and biatch if they even detect the mere presence of any scent at all. Tread carefully now is all I can say.
    This is what I've been trying to do. I have so much stuff that I forget what is strong or projects a mile away. I blew the place up with encens mythique on 3 sprays I'm only wearing it for me anyway so I'm only doing 1-2 sprays on my forehand from now on so I can sniff when I want. I would hate to get shut down because someone who was pissed at me made a complaint to the boss.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    Oh yeah, Creed sprayers put out a TON of juice!(I've found Chanel sprayers are no slouch either)
    Actually I've never had two creed bottles spray the same. A lot of output though I agree.
    BRING BACK OUR GIRLS!

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    I wore 10+ sprays of AB Silver by Lomani (Aventus clone) to work yesterday and guess what, no complaints. Actually, I got a compliment. Some fragrances require heavy spraying. My bottle of Aventus seems weak, I don't think 5-7 sprays would offend anyone.
    A BS by Lomani

Another idiot thread taking up space.

The whole thing is of so little consequence I'd never feel the need to mention any of it.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post

The whole thing is of so little consequence I'd never feel the need to mention any of it.
    But you felt the need to post in it, which makes even less sense.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post

It's actually a very important point about fragrance that people need to be reminded of.

Quote Originally Posted by elevation View Post
    It's actually a very important point about fragrance that people need to be reminded of.
    Yeah, all of this.

Quote Originally Posted by astar View Post
    After 2 year this thread has come alive.

Read all three pages and had a laugh
    This thread is Classic in so many ways...

8 sprays?!

ditka.jpg

C'mon man!

I am not feeling sorry with you, 8 sprays of aventus no matter what batches you are having Just doing too much and stink the hell up the way. In working places of course everyone will complain.

Quote Originally Posted by elevation View Post
    Agreed, and people being disciplined at work, creating awkward social situations, and using very expensive fragrances in an undiscerning manner takes fragrance use from being sagacious and desirable to being frivolous. Also, I think there certainly are consequences here. Being disciplined by your boss at work for gassing out the office and impeding on your colleagues work day is not a small deal. While creating awkward social situations might not be the end of the world, it certainly isn't ideal.

I think there is an etiquette that one should adhere to at work and social situations regarding fragrances. If you're out an about on a weekend doing your own thing, go ahead throw on 8 sprays of Aventus and have a blast, but in an office environment 8 sprays of anything shows poor judgement IMO.

I've been guilty of overspraying in the past, like I'm sure many here have as well. I do agree that most of us have become desensitized to how much we are projecting because of our habitual use of fragrance. My sister in law always comments on my fragrances, sometimes positively and other times not, haha. But what I've noticed is when I'm around her, I am aware of my fragrance much more acutely than I normally am. And she'll tell me if my fragrance is too strong. Not everyone will.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    But you felt the need to post in it, which makes even less sense.
    LOL never ceases to amaze me.

Weird, because if I spray 8 shots of Aventus it is a skin scent by the time i get to work and is totally gone by lunchtime. Not trying to bash on creed as the more and more i get into this hobby the more and more i realize my skin disintegrates fragrances at a rapid rate

I really think Hednic's golden rule of three sprays in social settings, no matter what scent, is a safe rule of thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I really think Hednic's golden rule of three sprays in social settings, no matter what scent, is a safe rule of thumb.
    I have the utmost respect for Hednic, but I strongly disagree with this rule of thumb.
    Three sprays of the old formulation of Black Aoud for example can tear a house down.
    Last edited by Suppressor; 24th May 2014 at 03:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaverX View Post
    Weird, because if I spray 8 shots of Aventus it is a skin scent by the time i get to work and is totally gone by lunchtime. Not trying to bash on creed as the more and more i get into this hobby the more and more i realize my skin disintegrates fragrances at a rapid rate
    I've learned this gives you olfactory fatigue. If you spray it just on your arms, you will smell it most of the day. I thought the same thing you did when I first was wearing it on my chest and neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    I have the utmost respect for Hednic, but I stronly disagree with this rule of thumb.
    Three sprays of the old formulation of Black Aoud for example can tear a house down.
    Well, lets say 90% of scents. There will be some outliers.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    Well, lets say 90% of scents. There will be some outliers.
    For me, the percentage is much lower.
    Three sprays of LIDGE will give you insane projection.
    Eau Sauvage Parfum.... my God. Please don't go 3.
    Even 3 sprays of He Wood would be too much for work.
    A lot of people on this forum are overspraying IMO.

I sort of know how you feel. Three days ago I felt like wearing a little of my Chypre Palatin sample because it seems to go so nicely with the spring weather. I just have a < 1 mL sample vial (no sprayer) and put on one dab on each forearm and one dab on the chest. I normally work in a very open space that's really not in close quarters with anyone else. The Chypre Palatin seemed to be at a nice volume for that; I really hadn't put very much on. However, I ended up going to a seminar later that day in a crowded room. The doors were closed to keep the sound out and it was fairly warm in there. All of a sudden the Chypre Palatin started screaming off of my arms. I mean, even I could tell that it was really strong. No one said anything (I don't think anyone could really tell for certain that it was me) but I was plenty embarrassed nonetheless. I kept cringing every time someone cleared their throat or made any sound, because I was afraid they were having an allergic reaction to the rather floral scent.

Two sprays from a small Original Vetiver decant the next day, and I was good .

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    I have the utmost respect for Hednic, but I stronly disagree with this rule of thumb.
    Agree. Fragrances come in different strengths, and require different applications. How can you use the same amount of sprays for Black Aoud as you would Guerlain Colonge Imperial?