Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Ever broken a bottle?

Never happened to me yet, but then again I'm new. I had one moment where I accidentally flung my bottle of L'Instant Extreme over my shoulder, watched it sail past me in what seemed like slow motion, then saw it hit the ground behind me, perfectly intact. The cap rattles now, and there's a tiny notch in the glass, but that's it. Gotta credit the house of Guerlain for sturdy design.

Have you had any near-misses (or complete tragedies) with your FBs? Please relate.

Default Re: Ever broken a bottle?

I have had a few bottle breaks over the years, but luckily they were with very low-cost scents and easily replaceable.

How hard is it to actually clear the scent from a room when a bottle breaks? I always imagined it to be a hopeless task, with all that concentrated scent in that small space.

It can be really hard depending on the fragrance. In my case, they all broke in a basement vault, so the smell was confined to an isolated area.

I dropped and smashed a sample recently, but that's all I can think of. Thankfully!

Haven't broken any yet, though I might break my Coco Figue in frustration intentioanlly, worst blind buy ever...would be totally vindicating lol

Basenotes Institution

Yes !
    1. Chanel no 5 extrait . 15 ml bottle . Managed to save some of it .
    2. My entire perfume contents of my LAG bag at security , whilst travelling one time. Broke my heart and I cried on the person behind me in the security queue . Hundreds of dollars worth .

Quote Originally Posted by comfortablynumbbg View Post
    Haven't broken any yet, though I might break my Coco Figue in frustration intentioanlly, worst blind buy ever...would be totally vindicating lol
    Lol. I've felt like that before about scents!!

Mimi - so sorry to hear that. Must have been heart-breaking :-(

Banned

Has not happened yet, although I admit that lately some bottles have gone down (without breaking). I guess it's my progressing age.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post
    Lol. I've felt like that before about scents!!

Mimi - so sorry to hear that. Must have been heart-breaking :-(

Oh Rum
    - thank you so much ! yes, it was a nightmare. This is the first time I have actually said this on Basenotes. Too heartbreaking to think of it. I was carrying Caron extrait, Carnal Flower,Joy in extrait. To add insult to injury , I had to endure the combined smell of all these perfumes all the way to my destination on the plane. I still have all the broken pieces and the bag it was in......*sob*
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    I was carrying Caron extrait, Carnal Flower,Joy in extrait. To add insult to injury , I had to endure the combined smell of all these perfumes all the way to my destination on the plane. I still have all the broken pieces and the bag it was in......*sob*
    Mimi! that's such a terrible story...I'm going to take a lesson from you though and only bring decants if I go fly. At least your story can warn others and bring about some possible good.

Basenotes Institution

Absolutely, Starship !
    Though I am normally very careful carrying perfume- I have carried Vol de Nuit and Mitsouko 30 mls in extrait on my travels many times before. In this case, there was a huge crush at security and with the confusion and jostling, the LAG bag ended up on the marble/ granite floor tiles.....
    You just never can say never when you travel so I am extra vigilant now. Before anything else, make sure you put your LAG bag in the tray first !

Horror story!

I once dropped a full Amouage Gold Man bottle on the sidewalk. Luckily, it's a sturdy bottle.

As I mentioned in other threads, the reference "broken perfume bottle" scene is a Mitsouko round bottle with Catherine Deneuve in Belle de Jour. Required watch for perfume lovers.

cacio

Most bottles seem really tough. I knocked a bottle of YSL LHomme out of a cabinet and it fell and chipped the sink and bounced onto the floor. I had a bottle of Linstant extreme shipped to me from Oman in a envelope with zero padding, like a plain manila envelope. It survived just fine.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Basenotes Plus

I've dropped and accidently stepped on a few sample vials-

Crunch- scent fills air- Oh, that's where it went- dang my shoe smells great!!

Mimi dearest, what is a LAG bag????
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Basenotes Institution

Hey Knit- a LAG bag is an airline safe carry on zip lock transparent bag of 1 quart size ( like your regular kitchen baggies really... ) .L A G stand for Liquids, Aerosols and Gels . It's what is permitted on flights these days for security reasons.

our help/maid broke my bottle of YSL M7 a few years ago - i never bought it again but now regretting it.

Mimi- sounds just awful! Sorry to hear that! What a crappy thing to happen! Hopefully, you have gotten some replacements.
    "One gives freely, yet grows all the richer; another withholds what he should give, and only suffers want." Proverbs.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks Kalli - yup - just gotta suck it up . I did replace one or two .

Yes !
    1. Chanel no 5 extrait . 15 ml bottle . Managed to save some of it .
    2. My entire perfume contents of my LAG bag at security , whilst travelling one time. Broke my heart and I cried on the person behind me in the security queue . Hundreds of dollars worth .
    Terrible Mimi! Heartbreaking I know.

In have not broken a full bottle yet (touch wood) but did break a 10ml decant of Back to Black on the bathroom floor. It slipped out of my hands and landed on the hard tiles. I lay on the floor next to the puddle trying to work out how I'd scoop up what I could into a cup I had on the sink. It was a pathetic sight to see!!!! LOL

I almost broke a 50ml Cuir de Lancome but stuck my foot out and it landed on my big toe. Toe was sore for a day but the Lancome was saved!!!!
    La vita è breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mimi, so sorry to hear about that! That would be truly devastating (I love my Carnal Flower). I really don't know what I would do in that situation...

My brother lost a vintage bottle of Dolce & Gabanna pour Homme. He was storing it at our dad's house, and our step-mom was cleaning the bathroom. She dropped it on the tiles, and that was that. There were a bunch of cheap fragrances there, like Cool Water, Stetson, Aspen (ah, high school), but she dropped the one bottle worth a damn.

When I met up with Brian Chambers in New York, I carried a messenger bag filled with precious bottles. I had probably 7 or 8 full bottles in my bag, and I had a constant concern that I'd drop the bag and smash my big Cuir de Russie or Patou pour Homme. I felt like one of those guys that has a valuable briefcase locked to his wrist.

Ha, it's funny, I even carried that bag to a (sort of) date before the meetup. I'm not sure what I would've said if they saw the contents of that bag...

Ive dropped a heavy bottle in the bathroom before. I thought it was over but all it left was a small indent in the glass. Very well made.

Basenotes Institution

Luckily I was in the Middle East , the airport security men were very lovely , kind , gentlemanly - they know their perfume . One said ' I can smell that is expensive perfume !! 'They rushed around and got me a special Emirates washbag and put everything inside for me and double bagged that with a duty free bag , taped it all up . Still the smell of the perfumes was very strong .
    If you have to break your perfume bottles ( touchwood , never !!!!!! ) whilst traveling , the Middle East is the nicest place to do it .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 13th June 2012 at 04:16 AM.

I knocked a 1oz bottle of Pi edp off the dresser. It broke on the carpet, and left an oily stain that perfumed the room for months. The real kicker, is that I had just bought it the weekend before, and I payed nearly $60 for it. Another time, I broke a bottle of Monsieur Musk by dropping it in the bathroom sink.

Worst I've had was a broken 5mL decant of Cadjmere, got to try it on my skin once before I dropped it a few days later.

Shame, as it was a really nice scent.

Not yet (knock on wood) Hope its something pleasant though if I do!

Givenchy Oblique Play love the scent although lack of longevity.
    smells are surer than sights or sounds to make your heartstrings crack.

-Vladimir Nabokov

Dependent

I've got decants of Aventus and TV broken in my LAG bag as well! It was supposed to be on a carry-on bag but it was a full flight and I had to check in my bag. Totally forgot about my LAG bag inside and well, when I arrived at KL airport, I swear my luggage smelt nice
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

Oh Rum
    - thank you so much ! yes, it was a nightmare. This is the first time I have actually said this on Basenotes. Too heartbreaking to think of it. I was carrying Caron extrait, Carnal Flower,Joy in extrait. To add insult to injury , I had to endure the combined smell of all these perfumes all the way to my destination on the plane. I still have all the broken pieces and the bag it was in......*sob*
    Well I suppose your luggage smells good now. Seriously, we need to get some sort of insurance organised for travelling basenotes.

I recently went on a trip abroad with multiple Creeds (OV and MI) and AdP. I was contemplating taking Aventus but thought it would be too risky so gave up on the idea.

Miami I suggest you put tape around your bottles. Either around the cap or on weak points.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Two:

Creed Tabarome Millesime and Boucheron pour Homme Fraicheur (2006). The Boucheron is still my favourite of the house. Both dropped off my hands at different times unto a stone floor.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Hey Knit- a LAG bag is an airline safe carry on zip lock transparent bag of 1 quart size ( like your regular kitchen baggies really... ) .L A G stand for Liquids, Aerosols and Gels . It's what is permitted on flights these days for security reasons.
    Ah so now I know. We have them in Europe as well. Never had that TLA (Three Letter Acronym) :-)

Luckily I was in the Middle East , the airport security men were very lovely , kind , gentlemanly - they know their perfume . One said ' I can smell that is expensive perfume !! 'They rushed around and got me a special Emirates washbag and put everything inside for me and double bagged that with a duty free bag , taped it all up . Still the smell of the perfumes was very strong .
    If you have to break your perfume bottles ( touchwood , never !!!!!! ) whilst traveling , the Middle East is the nicest place to do it .
    Emirates is renowned for being good with customer service. Knowing London they'd probably give you a mop and tell you to wipe up the mess!

I seem to be the worst one, here! THREE: two broken on the bathroom floor (Ofrésia, almost full bottle, and Premier Figuer fortunately almost empty) , one not actually broken but OPENED in the luggage (MPG Eau de Camélia Chinoise)!!!
    In two cases, Ofrésia and MPG, I can't stand to even smell them- the bathroom reeked for months and my clothes (and shoes!) too! In the case of Premier Figuer, I recovered quickly, as I adored that fragrance- the bathroom mop, though, smelled gorgeous for months!

Unfortunately my old D&G PH fell on another bottle and got a tiny crack, not even visible, yet the bottle ran out.

HM, Seduction in Black. Also lost the sprayer of Francesco Smalto.

Almost broke my bottle of Acqua di Gio. Luckily it hit the cat.

A couple of months ago I dropped my last of three 10ml travel bottles of Musc Ravageur. Those things are delicate as icicles! Malle refers to their vulnerability somewhere on his website, as they're intended for the protection of the expensvie atomiser case. Whatever.

The bedroom where this occurred *still* smells delightful to this day... was almost worth it!

A couple of months ago I dropped my last of three 10ml travel bottles of Musc Ravageur. Those things are delicate as icicles! Malle refers to their vulnerability somewhere on his website, as they're intended for the protection of the expensvie atomiser case. Whatever.

The bedroom where this occurred *still* smells delightful to this day... was almost worth it!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by rum View Post

Emirates is renowned for being good with customer service. Knowing London they'd probably give you a mop and tell you to wipe up the mess!
    Good tip about taping weak points , Rum .
    Also - you're probably right about London and the mop ! *LOL*

I have and it's probably in one of the worst places, in a hotel room in Chicago while on vacation. My gf and I requested if we could change rooms because the scent was very strong and started to make us nauseated and headache inducing.

Worst experience ever! The woman I was dating at the time had just moved into a new loft with polished a concrete floor. You can already see where this is going. She had bought a bedroom set from an antique furniture shop, and it came with a... do you call it a dressing table? It looked like a desk with a giant mirror and it had a few little shelves that were for displaying items. She owned a few bottles of vintage perfumes that she never wore which were sitting on the little shelves. They were for display only since they had what she thought were beautiful bottles. I thought they were hideous.

At around three in the morning, there was a sound. We both jumped up in bed, looking around thinking "Huh?" And then it happened again. PSHSHSH!!! We looked to where the sound came from and saw her dressing table. The tall mirror was leaning forward and the bottles were sliding off the shelves and hitting the concrete floor. By the time it happened the second time, the smell of it was overwhelmingly terrible. She managed to get over there in time to stop the mirror from collapsing, which would have only made matters much worse... but still... oof.

A few years later, the same sort of thing happened again with a different girlfriend. That time, it was a glass shelf in the kitchen that fell, shattering along with a jar of some sort of aged garlic extract. Again, it happened in the middle of the night. We were rocketed out of sleep, sitting up in bed totally confused. "WHAT WAS THAT?!" It was amazing how fast the smell of it filled the room.

Yes, I have a bit of a shelf-phobia now.

Basenotes Institution

Swix - what a couple of stories ! I would be shelf phobic too .

I broke one of my first bottles: Escada Magnetism. I miss it sometimes...maybe I'll get another bottle. Luckily it wasn't/isn't that expensive!
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I once dropped a bottle of Aspen on concrete. Luckily it didn't break but a huge crack appeared near the top of the bottle.

Good tip about taping weak points , Rum .
    Also - you're probably right about London and the mop ! *LOL*
    The man speaks from experience!!

Quote Originally Posted by purplepig View Post
    Looool.... were you aiming for the cat?

I dropped my bottle of Vintage Havana and it landed perfectly on a small bit of exposed concrete between the carpet - smashed all over and stained my new boots - they smelled very strong for weeks - I was taking it down to try it for the first time - so I only know what it smells like in large volume - on shoes!

Quote Originally Posted by purplepig View Post
    Haha ADG might benefit from some civet!

Had my bottle of GIT and GPH II in my bag, separated and rolled up in clothing. This was in my overnight bag. When I picked it up and placed it on my desk, somehow (I guess from walking) the bottles came loose and well... Let's just say GIT lost the battle with GPH II. The corners both bottles connected and the bottom left corner of my GIT came right off, leaked all over my bag. GPH II, a little tiny piece of glass barely came off. I was walking around NYC with a cloud of GIT following me and my pajamas still smell of GIT a month later. My bag, will always smell like it. The bottle was about 80-90% full.
    Current obsession...Invasion Barbare

I dropped a bottle of homage on my tile floor!! When it came in the mail I opened the box and it wasn't securely in the pedestal. Fell out and smashed on the floor. 12ml swiped up with a paper towel! That made me sick.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

Banned

Thankfully, I have not, knock on wood.

I would buy you replacement bottles Mimi!
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Millisime Imperial
    Amouage Epic Man
    Amouage Jubilation XXV
    Amouage Memoir Man
    Nassomatto Black Afghano
    Guerlain Le Instant Extreme
    Issey miyake L'eau D'Issey Noir Absolu
    Tom Ford Tabacco Vanille
    Angle Men Pure Malt

Oh yes, this reminds me of a friend who was on the Tube in London on the way home with a bag of shopping, somehow he knocked and broke a bottle of fish sauce and it want all over his trousers while he was trying see what had broken or something.

He said it was the most humiliating experience of his life..people couldnt get out of the carriage fast enough.
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Millisime Imperial
    Amouage Epic Man
    Amouage Jubilation XXV
    Amouage Memoir Man
    Nassomatto Black Afghano
    Tom Ford Tabacco Vanille
    Angle Men Pure Malt

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by SubBass70 View Post
    I would buy you replacement bottles Mimi!
    That's really really sweet of you - a great thought ! you deserve hugs !

Oh that fish sauce story ! How terrible and embarrassing !

"¥eS"
    — ___

it was terrible for him but we all laughed our heads off about it! poor guy!
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Millisime Imperial
    Amouage Epic Man
    Amouage Jubilation XXV
    Amouage Memoir Man
    Nassomatto Black Afghano
    Tom Ford Tabacco Vanille
    Angle Men Pure Malt

Without wanting to brag, so far, no. Though once when I had some major redecoration and repairs in my room, a close call did happen. I stored multiple fragrance bottles in a simple over-sized plastic bag, along with some other cosmetic products, and compiling the fact that some of the other cosmetics did moderately leak and that fragrance bottles were stored in a precarious position, I was so relieved to find out, upon finally open the bag, that none of the bottles have broken.

Very nearly broke my 4oz Aventus the other day. Picked up the box and the bottle fell out of the bottom, hit the chest of drawers and thankfully bounced off without causing any damage to either the fragrance or the furniture (bespoke)

When my 1270 arrived, I was greeted by the unmistakable smell of Cognac; yes, it was a leaky bottle; thankfully only about 10ml was missing and I was refunded by the vendor and got to keep the bottle; not me breaking it per se, but the closest I've come and ever want to!

Never broke a bottle, but did have about 3/4 of a bottle of Creed Acier Aluminium leak out somehow when traveling. I had the bottle securely wrapped in a few pairs of socks, and when I got where I was going, the socks were drenched in Creed. They smelled amazing. Unfortunately, I had bought the bottle online (don't remember where), and Creed pretty much told me "tough luck" (I guess I should have bought their overpriced atomizer and used that instead of traveling with a full bottle). No damage whatsoever to the bottle- it just plain leaked out somehow.

Hostellerie les Frênes, near Avignon. Patou Homme. 1987. My three-year-old daughter playing in the hotel bathroom, and pushed a full bottle (which I'd bought that afternoon) into the bath. It didn't break until she followed it with my current, half-full bottle. It landed like a Vengeance Bastard from Space. Both smashed.

I never smelt the stuff again. By the time I got round to getting another bottle, they'd discontinued it. I'd worn it since the day it came out and it was everything they say it is. Probably the finest lush/oriental masculine of all time.

But... well, your own daughter? She's just three? You can't even be cross.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by bargepole View Post
    Hostellerie les Frênes, near Avignon. Patou Homme. 1987. My three-year-old daughter playing in the hotel bathroom, and pushed a full bottle (which I'd bought that afternoon) into the bath. It didn't break until she followed it with my current, half-full bottle. It landed like a Vengeance Bastard from Space. Both smashed.

I never smelt the stuff again. By the time I got round to getting another bottle, they'd discontinued it. I'd worn it since the day it came out and it was everything they say it is. Probably the finest lush/oriental masculine of all time.

But... well, your own daughter? She's just three? You can't even be cross.
    What a story! The legendary Patou pour Homme bowled over by your 3-year-old.