Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Ever broken a bottle?

My (full) 200 ml Chanel 1932 fell on the floor this morning... I managed to save 20 ml or so from the juice and put it in small sprayers. No words can describe how I feel right now... I'm so devastated ...
    I really had to get it off my chest guys...
    Last edited by Anta79; 12th February 2013 at 12:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anta79 View Post
    My (full) 200 ml Chanel 1932 fell on the floor this morning... I managed to save 20 ml or so from the juice and put in small sprayers. No words can describe how I feel right now... I'm so devastated ...
    I really had to get it off my chest guys...
    Really sad to hear that .

I had similar situation this morning, but got incredibly lucky. I dropped my SMN shaving soap, tried to save it which resulted in my shaving brush dropping inside the toilet and my SMN fragrance dropping also. I juggled with the bottle for some time and finally managed to save it somehow with my foot so it didn't hit the tile floor. I'm sure it looked rather comical.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    Really sad to hear that .

I had similar situation this morning, but got incredibly lucky. I dropped my SMN shaving soap, tried to save it which resulted in my shaving brush dropping inside the toilet and my SMN fragrance dropping also. I juggled with the bottle for some time and finally managed to save it somehow with my foot so it didn't hit the tile floor. I'm sure it looked rather comical.
    Lol, yeah that's quite a comical situation ! Fortunately, you managed to save your shaving soap ^^ *Sigh* ... Wish I was so lucky ...

Shaving soap dropped but survived, got lucky with the SMN Colonia Russa.

I like to keep my classical looking bottles on shelf; Helmut Langs, Guerlain bee bottles, Chanel les exklusifs and SMN's. I'm bound to break one sooner or later. I really feel your pain - it must have been a new bottle.

A 10ml travel spray of Ambre Sultan.

No, and I don't want to.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Yes, I once dropped an almost brand new bottle of Nasomatto's Black Afgano on a marble floor. Could not salvage any of it. A total loss. Needless to say a few years were shed over that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    Shaving soap dropped but survived, got lucky with the SMN Colonia Russa.

I like to keep my classical looking bottles on shelf; Helmut Langs, Guerlain bee bottles, Chanel les exklusifs and SMN's. I'm bound to break one sooner or later. I really feel your pain - it must have been a new bottle.
    Indeed, the bottle was brand new. I only used a little bit more than 5 ml of the juice...
    Be careful with that shelf man...

Somehow I managed to close the bathroom cabinet door on my travel washbag, and it had a 30ml bottle of Brit for Men in it. Next time I got the washbag out to use, it stank of ginger, roses and tonka bean.

Fortunately, there was probably only a 1/4 left in the bottle, I'd bought it dirt cheap, and I had a backup.

Better a broken bottle than a broken heart :-D

Amazingly, about 30 years into this hobby, I have never broken a bottle. I did receive a broken bottle in the mail about two years ago. But I've never broken one myself. Knock on wood.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by senore01 View Post
    Yes, I once dropped an almost brand new bottle of Nasomatto's Black Afgano on a marble floor. Could not salvage any of it. A total loss. Needless to say a few years were shed over that one.
    I hate that your days were shortened because of a broken bottle of cologne.

I broke my L'Artisan Tea for Two. Was able to save 15 ml from a 3.4 Oz bottle 80% full. It smells weaker now. The exposure to air must have changed it a bit. Still recovering.

Basenotes Plus

Many years ago, my dad broke one for me. He tried to sneak a few sprays out of my original formulation D&G pour homme without me noticing. My room did smell amazing for a few days.

You'd think a broken Jo Malone stinker would be no big deal, considering how quickly she normally fades. So when I dropped 'Vanilla & Anise' on my bike tail bag last year, I thought, "No problem. I'll just go for a ride and have the wind blow it out.". Wouldn't you know it, my least favorite JM had claws. I criss-crossed all over town in a musky purple haze, week after week trying to shake that sucker. Every car behind me wondering what was up with the broad up front with the heavy trigger finger.

I broke a bottle of JPG Le Male loooong time ago. I salvaged a lot of it by pouring the rest into an empty bottle from ulta

Banned
    Blog Entries

my echo by davidoff about 3 years ago. replaced it last year some time

Two tales, one my fault and the other not.

The first was me tipping over a huge 50ml bottle of Geranium Bourbon essential oil. I thought it had a dropper top in and shook it hard. The whole lot whooshed out all into the bathroom carpet......It stunk for about a year in there. I cannot use that ingredient any more without recoiling.

The second was I had a parcel arrive from ebay and in it was a large selection of minis that I had bought, all because there was a tiny vintage pebble bottle of Diorling in there. The stupid vendor had just put all 35 minis all loose in ziplocks and guess which little bottle was the smashed one amongst a few others? About five had smashed and the scents were all jumbled up with shards of glass and all labels damaged. I got refunded but what a dreadful waste.....

Banned
    Blog Entries

I've had a few bottles fall. They were noticably scratched but not cracked. I'm impressed by the durability of the bottles, even if it is to make them weigh more to trick the customer to think they are getting more juice than they are actually getting.

The point on the star of my New Haarlem bottle took a chunk out of the bottom of my GIT bottle. I lost about 95ml or so... Sickening.

I have two boys. Oh, I'd be cross. For a couple of hours at least. Then I'd let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by bargepole View Post
    Hostellerie les FrÍnes, near Avignon. Patou Homme. 1987. My three-year-old daughter playing in the hotel bathroom, and pushed a full bottle (which I'd bought that afternoon) into the bath. It didn't break until she followed it with my current, half-full bottle. It landed like a Vengeance Bastard from Space. Both smashed.

I never smelt the stuff again. By the time I got round to getting another bottle, they'd discontinued it. I'd worn it since the day it came out and it was everything they say it is. Probably the finest lush/oriental masculine of all time.

But... well, your own daughter? She's just three? You can't even be cross.

A 10 mL bon-bon vial of Bond No. 9 Brooklyn fell out of my cologne cabinet in my bathroom once.

To date, it has been the biggest cologne bottle that I have ever broken. Fortunately, it was a sample that didn't cost me a penny, so no financial harm was done. And the bathroom smelled quite good for a couple of days.
    Top 5 for Winter:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) Back to Black - By Kilian
    3) M7 (vintage or Oud Absolu) - YSL
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5) John Varvatos Vintage

My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Blog Entries

I have carpet in the Bedroom, so they just land softly. Once a 2ml Sample vial fell off the dresser right onto a metal heat vent on the floor, smashed. the room smelled like A*Men whenever the heat came on>>> Once I spilled about 3mls of Amouage Tribute on my dresser. I mopped it up with several tissues, and put them in my underwear drawer...for months all my shorts smelled like Tribute!
    For Sale: VINTAGE Montales

Default Ever broken a bottle?

Dropped a bottle of Bulgari Man on white tile floor. Clean up was horrible because there were so many shards of glass. Bathroom smelled nice for some time after. Have since moved the collection to the carpeted bedroom!

In general(?) in my curio cabinet, higher end frags are on the bottom area, and lessers up on the shelf.

I'd rather the shelf break or something and the lessers fall and maybe be more likely to break, than the lower higher end ones below it.

I have broken a half full bottle of jako
    A bottle of kenzo pour homme
    A bottle of tokyo kenzo (it was quite new)
    An almost empty bottle of Body kouros..
    I guess im the worst one here!!!!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Foamywax View Post
    That's pretty unfortunate!

In college, I had a bottle of Banana Republic M in my bad, when it accidentally fell off a table and onto the concrete floor. It broke, and there was fragrance all over my bag and unfortunately it happened at work. I got several complaints from colleagues, but luckily my boss didn't seem to mind. I ended up throwing the whole bag away in an outside trash can.

I once dropped a finished bottle to test if it would break.

Quote Originally Posted by Foamywax View Post
    At least they weren't broken all at the same time.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I knocked a bottle of La nuit de l'homme off my shelf, which is 2 meters high (6,5 feet) and, luckily, nothing happened to it. It was scary though.
    edit: it fell on wooden floor, no carpet. Sturdy bottle.
    Last edited by Mr. Popo; 23rd March 2014 at 01:06 PM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Never a bottle but I did break a sample vial of Andy Warhol Silver Factory. I was pissed at myself for being so clumsy. I can only imagine what you felt like breaking a bottle of Chanel 1932.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I had a bottle of Pi edp that fell to the floor and smashed to smithereens. A real pain, sense the only place that had it, was 80 miles away in Spartanburg, SC. Months later, when I had to go back to Spartanburg on business, I went back to mall and bought the last bottle the store had in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevolution73 View Post
    I had a bottle of Pi edp that fell to the floor and smashed to smithereens. A real pain, sense the only place that had it, was 80 miles away in Spartanburg, SC. Months later, when I had to go back to Spartanburg on business, I went back to mall and bought the last bottle the store had in stock.
    Luck was on your side! You were given a second chance.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Luckily, not yet....
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

Well it just happened to me . It was a bottle of Dior Homme Intense I was bringing into work to sell to a coworker. It slipped out of my jacket pocket as I reached into my fridge to grab my lunch.
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

In the battle of Gucci Pour Homme vs. Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille, Gucci Pour Homme won.

I dropped a bottle of L'humaniste. I didn't lose the juice but the sprayer broke and I had to transfer to a generic atomizer. I was not happy...
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

I'd bet a lot of money on Gucci Pour Homme bottle vs pretty much any other bottle:-)

Broke a decant of Pure Malt when was walking home after having a few drinks. Just let it slip out of my hands...