Code of Conduct

Blog Entries

Question Givenchy III as a masculine

So, I've heard far and near now that Givenchy III would work great as a masculine. After being reassured of the masculinity in Mitsouko, I'm now interested in this one.

I know it has been re-launched and reformulated, so I must ask: Which formulation is the most "masculine", or perhaps the "greenest" of them all?
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Default Re: Givenchy III as a masculine

For me I'll stick with Monsieur Givenchy 2, or Givenchy Gentleman

Off-Scenter

I only know the reissue, and I find it very wearable. More so even than Mitsouko.

It was better before the re-release, there was more oak moss, it had more depth, but the new one is very green. That said, I'd like to quote Turin's review of Givenchy III, "a curious lived in quality....as if one were simultaneously smelling several successive applications....without a dry-clean in between - a faintly morning-after atmosphere." To me this is one of the great hall marks of masculine perfumery, a lived in quality. Like Mitsouko, it is a classic chypre, but unlike Mitsouko, there is nothing peachy about it.

I wore and wore and wore Givenchy III in its old incarnation until it could not be easily found any longer. Agree wholeheartedly and brokenheartedly that the original was an olfactory entity with a soul, almost a sentient being, whereas the re-issue is.......a fragrance. And just that.

However, I still put in my vote as a "yes" to men wearing GIII, of whichever vintage.

Blog Entries

Thanks for all the feedback!

Also, this is my 1000th post! Woohoo
    SEEKING BOTTLES OF:

Aramis New West (preferably old bottle)
    Patrick by Fragrances of Ireland
    Azzaro Aqua
    Gloria by Cacharel

PM me if you have bottles that you're willing to sell or trade!

Banned

Why not? It's as unisex a chypre as you'll find. The reformulation is pretty weak, imho - not nearly as good as the vintage EdT. If you like Givenchy III you should also check out vintage Hermes Caleche, which is in the same style of G-III but more green up top.

I've smelled both vintage and current Givenchy III. The vintage has more depth and richness (I have the EdP). The current one is probably greener and lighter (oakmoss restrictions, EdT). Both are eminently suitable for masculine use; neither is sweet, sugary or overly floral.

NineXSeven also mentioned Calèche. There is a much more vast difference between vintage and current Calèche (reformulated in 1992). The vintage has a far more complex bouquet and better naturals. The modern is intensely aldehydic up top, to the point of smelling like freshly-unwrapped bar soap. Again, both are suitable for masculine use but the quality of the former is much higher.

Quote Originally Posted by Grottola View Post
    I know it has been re-launched and reformulated, so I must ask: Which formulation is the most "masculine", or perhaps the "greenest" of them all?
    The newer one is more "masculine". I prefer the vintage.
    For those about to stink, I salute you!

I recently acquired some collectible bottles -- ok, my almost wife (2 weeks!) did and she wears them. She did not have a preference for Givenchy III and made clear it did not wear well on her. Anyways, when she wasn't looking I applied some of this. It definitely wears great as a masculine and I may just ebay me my own bottle of it as her 3oz might not last long!

This sounds really good!!

I find it absolutely suitable for males though, in the same vein, I prefer edgier stuff like CDG For Stephen Jones or Piguet's Futur.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I have got a very vintage bottle (dug it up in an Athean antique shop for 15 €) and i think the aldehydes are extreme. Havent been wearing it much I must say.
    Smellin good

Aldehydes? Femenine if mixed with florals. Oakmoss, masculine. I would guide myself according to those notes and, later, I'd test it.

I've picked this today for 60$, 120ml EDT splash with 100ml EDT spray Tester 60% full.

I'm hoping it was a good deal and can't wait a bit of sunshine to road test it. But what formulation is this?

Thanks.
    Last edited by MaxHeadroom; 15th June 2012 at 12:39 PM.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

That was indeed a good deal.
    I'd reckon yours are from the
    early 90s.

You can check the codes on
    www.checkcosmetic.net, and
    through that get a production
    date.

Thank you very much Le Grand Duc. Will check out.
    Last edited by MaxHeadroom; 15th June 2012 at 02:42 PM.