Code of Conduct

Cool Paper Passion: The Smell of a new Books/Paper fragrance!

I ran across this, suffice it to say I must try this!:

Link

BUY IT HERE

"Whether you’re looking to attract a librarian, find yourself hanging out in the stationary cupboard for suspicious amounts of time or just enjoy holding a notebook under your nostrils on public transport, this is the scent for you. Paper Passion, a unisex fragrance, is a joint effort between Wallpaper*, Steidl Books and master perfumer Geza Schoen. These people*have joined forces to bottle the smell of BOOKS.

“You have a book, you open it, there’s a bottle inside and it smells of a book. It might be quirky, but the idea has a simplicity, a linearity.”

Banned

Default Re: Paper Passion: The Smell of a new Books/Paper fragrance!

Don't know what to think about that. Which publisher do they want to incarnate with their fragrance? Each has an own "signature" note.

...although the smell of books is one of the first scented memories I have reminding me of childhood. Books then had not this chemical, clean smell.
    Last edited by Candide; 13th June 2012 at 08:53 AM.

Perhaps not the most exciting of smells.

Bulgari Soir smells of papyrus, so if you enjoy sniffing around the Egypt section in your local museum...

Dzing smells of paper, books and new shoes!

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Perhaps not the most exciting of smells.
    Agree.

I actually really love the smell of old books. If this has an antiquated smell of books, I would consider a purchase for sure. I need to sample this...

Girls won't like the smell of old books. That's just silly. If I wear something like that I'd never get a date. You have to wear something that smells like chocolate. Or biscuits. Not paper!

Nice packaging though

Quote Originally Posted by purplepig View Post
    Girls won't like the smell of old books. That's just silly. If I wear something like that I'd never get a date. You have to wear something that smells like chocolate. Or biscuits. Not paper!
    Depends on the girl, perhaps a beautiful girl into literature would love this. Also, let's see who can pull off nerdy swagger.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    Nice packaging though
    Agree, it's sort of similar to La Nez Turtle Vetiver Front. I guess books for packaging costs $115/bottle.

Different books smell of different things, so this is a misleading (however worthwhile) effort. The 'pulp' publications, whose wood-pulp papers were whitened with bleach (a very pleasing bouquet is ultimately made by microbes breaking the paper down; the bleach ultimately accelerates the process), smell different to those made of unwhitened linen rags. And so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Merely View Post
    Different books smell of different things, so this is a misleading (however worthwhile) effort. The 'pulp' publications, whose wood-pulp papers were whitened with bleach (a very pleasing bouquet is ultimately made by microbes breaking the paper down; the bleach ultimately accelerates the process), smell different to those made of unwhitened linen rags. And so on.
    Good point, books smell differently based on the kind of paper, the age, and many other things.

Actually, it would be really fascinating if the scent progressed from the smell of a newly bound book to that of a really old book in the drydown.

You can't generalize about what girls like or don't like, nor should you assume that what they like should dictate why we should like it.

Quote Originally Posted by cologne connoisseur View Post
    You can't generalize about what girls like or don't like, nor should you assume that what they like should dictate why we should like it.
    Don't tell me what I can or can't assume. Girls won't like this smell. That's what I think and I believe they like sweeter smells.

You're welcome to assume whatever you wish. You're quite free to express your opinions and assumptions, but you should realize you can't now nor can you ever speak for girls as a group; they're quite capable of letting us know what they think without your help, believe me. Moreover, your opinions and assumptions are free to be challenged here.

I think it's safe to assume this isn't going to be the next 1 Million.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    I actually really love the smell of old books. If this has an antiquated smell of books, I would consider a purchase for sure. I need to sample this...
    Try Neil Morris Vanille Rosé for a really great smell of roses and musty old books. Very nice scent! It smells like you're in the library and "historical babes" (to use the Bill & Ted term) jumped out of a book!

Thanks for sharing. My "next level" would be a rather off-topic and downright unusual wish/desire/curiosity: to find a scent, even if it's almost impossible, which combines the smell of various paper strips with several perfumes sprayed on them from tester bottles (of course, while the perfume sprayed on them is still fresh and perceptible).

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    [...] to find a scent, even if it's almost impossible, which combines the smell of various paper strips with several perfumes sprayed on them from tester bottles (of course, while the perfume sprayed on them is still fresh and perceptible).
    This might be a task for the man who invented the new perfume-app, as discussed in the Just-Starting-Out-Forum.

Hey I've heard Aventus smells of newspaper or paper money .... Sorry, just couldn't let a thread go past with no mention of Aventus - there that's twice - I can relax now

Basenotes Member

I'm beyond excited to sample this!
    Current Top 5:
    CdG Odeur 71
    Helmut Lang Cuiron
    CdG Skai
    CB I Hate Perfume To See a Flower
    CdG Eau de Parfum (melted bottle)

I'm an academic and a teacher, I will wear this along with Tom Ford Tuscan leather before an interview at a university. I will smell like a leather bound book and they will not be able to resist me!

Basenotes Junkie

My wife thinks that Creed Original Vetiver smells like paper.

This is a must try for me! I hope it will be available internationally.

Banned

.... books smell differently based on the kind of paper, the age, and many other things.

Actually, it would be really fascinating if the scent progressed from the smell of a newly bound book to that of a really old book in the drydown.
    +1 ...

If this fragrance just captures the smell of paper alone, and does not include the smell of ink, does that mean we'll have to layer it with Encre Noire? []

Don't tell me what I can or can't assume. Girls won't like this smell. That's what I think and I believe they like sweeter smells.
    Wow. Yikes. Moving on...

...One of the things this forum really helped me to learn is that there are tons and tons of scents that are good for work or for a date or a wedding or a hike, but there are a few special ones that seem to strive for more than just to be worn and noticed.

I totally believe somebody could take the smell of books and turn it into something cozy, comforting and, dare I say, alluring. I think this scent sounds fascinating and I'd LOVE to smell it.

So has anyone tried it yet ?

I love the smell of new books! I'll have to try this one.

Basenotes Member

Just ordered my sample from Surrender to Chance (11-something USD for a 2 ML spray)! Excited to receive it and report back. I hope I love it because it's super inexpensive on Amazon (69 USD vs. 115 USD everywhere else).

- - - Updated - - -

I sampled. I'm bummed. It's almost pure wood. (Cedarwood, perhaps? I hope not because I'm allergic to that stupid tree.) It's wood with an inky twang that peeks out at times. Something about it is super spicy, almost like heavy dried tobacco leaf. If I use my imagination to find paper, I associate it more with newspaper than freshly printed book paper. I suppose I can grasp a whiff of a used paperback - one that has been read at a beach, on a plane ride, and in a dusty dorm by a chain-smoking college student. I wanted a new book smell. I wanted ozone/toner note more than I wanted traditional ink, and I hoped for that sharp yet somehow sweet glue note in A New Perfume by Comme des Garcons. I might cry now. I wish CdG would put out a second synthetic line and let us pick the concepts.
    Current Top 5:
    CdG Odeur 71
    Helmut Lang Cuiron
    CdG Skai
    CB I Hate Perfume To See a Flower
    CdG Eau de Parfum (melted bottle)

Good point, books smell differently based on the kind of paper, the age, and many other things.

Now, THAT would interest me!
    Visit my Norwegian blog
    http://www.hagenpahytta.net
    Gardening, nature, food, perfume, life.

"Gardeners, I think, dream bigger dreams than emperors"
    Mary Cantwell

I get this what I think of as "Papyrus" smell from Dior Homme.

I tried this one. I was quite curious, but unfortunately I didn't really catch on to PP. It seems it's trying to carve out a position somewhere between challenging "stinky" industrial frags like M/Mink and the CdG's Synthetics series on one pole and the totally abstract, intellectual and hysterically understated nothingness of frags like Eau d'Italie's Sienne l'Hiver etc. on the other.

I don't think it quite manages to establish that platform for itself - the opening is interesting, highly industrial-chemical and unusual (in other word, the "usual" CdG territory), the middle is muted (I think that's where the paper metaphor comes through the most) in a way that's so minimalist as to border on almost indetectible (as in Sienne l'Hiver), but the dry-down, where the whole composition is supposed to come together and PP do something that hasn't already been done by those others, is really disappointing. The dry-down smells like so many other niche offerings, rather sweet, "weird conventional" if there's such a thing (and leans heavily on Odeur 53 towards the end, I think). All in all, an interesting experience but not unusual enough in my opinion to be FBW given the very strong competition PP so energetically quotes and builds upon but never quite manages to catch up with, let alone surpass.

The smell of paper is used quite a lot in perfumery via 'Lignum', which is definitely used in Dzing and is a substitute for a type of 'sweet wood' vibe.

Banned
    Blog Entries

i totally want to attract a librarian

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    i totally want to attract a librarian
    Gucci Pour Homme II. Not kidding! Or probably Tea For Two (I don't own it, so really, I'm gust guessing about that one).

One of the neat things about scents is how different scents attract different people. We all know how some scents smell sporty. I think there's something intellectual about the a tea based scent such as GphII.

Librarians are awesome. Women who work in bookstores are too. Come to think of it, so are the women who frequent libraries and bookstores. God, I love smart women. Swoon!

Quote Originally Posted by ajolie7 View Post
    I sampled. I'm bummed. It's almost pure wood. (Cedarwood, perhaps? I hope not because I'm allergic to that stupid tree.) It's wood with an inky twang that peeks out at times. Something about it is super spicy, almost like heavy dried tobacco leaf. If I use my imagination to find paper, I associate it more with newspaper than freshly printed book paper. I suppose I can grasp a whiff of a used paperback - one that has been read at a beach, on a plane ride, and in a dusty dorm by a chain-smoking college student. I wanted a new book smell. I wanted ozone/toner note more than I wanted traditional ink, and I hoped for that sharp yet somehow sweet glue note in A New Perfume by Comme des Garcons. I might cry now. I wish CdG would put out a second synthetic line and let us pick the concepts.
    Well that's a bummer. I was curious about this one. It must be quite a challenge to try to turn a known smell, such as the scent of paper, into something to be worn. I love the smell of a bookstore. I also love the smell of the bakery aisle of a grocery store when they're making bread. But I wouldn't want to wear the smell of fresh bread, nor would that smell on a woman do anything for me other than make me think she works in a bakery and didn't have time for a shower before heading out for the evening.
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

It smells nothing like paper.

I wore it a few times. I can see the attempt to link it to the smell of paper. But it had too much of a chemical/plastic note to it. If overapplied, it is suffocating. I had hopes for this one, but sadly, it missed being a "paper passion" by a mile for me.

I appreciate the attempt, and the creativity (unless it was stumbled upon completely by mistake), but they should have held off on this until they got it just right. A paper/old book smell would probably have a niche place in the fragrance world.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Disappointing reviews, ordered a sample to test for myself and will see in a few days for myself. I admire the effort though to create something different than the regular plethora of mass produced scents that copy and than re-copy each other ad nauseaum. Hopefully this is just the first attempt for this line and they'll keep working to create that new book / old tome smell that some of us long for.