Code of Conduct

Default Autumn scent suggestions

Hello!

I'm a trainee journalist looking to write a feature about scents for Autumn. I want to find scents that remind people of Autumn, or the particular notes you would expect to find, or look for, in an Autumn scent.

It was recommended that I post here to find a wider range of views. Please let me know if you are happy for me to use any comments you make in my piece!

I look forward to seeing your suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Autumn scent suggestions

I guess most people think of wanting warmer, heavier notes when the weather starts to go crisp and cool. People also get tired of the heat and their lighter, fresher scents toward the end of a long summer - think about how you look forward to that first wool sweater in the autumn.

For me, autumn is about woodier, spicier, sweeter scents, and my favorites are:

Coromandel: patchouli and white chocolate
    Mona di Orio's Oud: woody, spicy, slightly floral
    Egoiste: dried fruit, spicy, rosewood and sandalwood
    Bois des Iles: Sandalwood and gingerbread notes
    Habanita: Vanilla, leather, and vetiver
    M7: spicy and sweet wood
    Cuir Mauresque: leather, amber, jasmine
    Theorema: Orange, amber, vanilla

There are also a few "busier" or more complex scents that smell great to me in cool weather but go a bit wrong in hot weather, like Bal a Versailles, Sikkim, and La Nuit (Paco Rabanne).

Still, I've been wearing some of these recently anyhow, because summer just hasn't really arrived here in England yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!

I agree with Kagey that, after fresh summery things, autumn brings in darker and warmer things like woods, spices, and patchouli. Patchouli, with its strange overturned earth smell, seems particularly appropriate. A good example of spices and patchouli would be Clinique Aromatics Elixir.

On a different note, perfume critic Luca Turin has described Lush Breath of God as an autumnal landscape painted in pencil shades of gray (or something like that).

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    On a different note, perfume critic Luca Turin has described Lush Breath of God as an autumnal landscape painted in pencil shades of gray (or something like that).

cacio
    True about that. Breath of God has that smoky smell that evokes burning leaves, which is a pervasive smell here in the autumn. I need to try that one again...

And good call on Aromatics Elixir. That one's been growing on me since I first tried it about a year and a half ago and dismissed it as nail polish remover. Love how taste evolves!

Woods and spice is right, along with amber notes. I think of An Evening Edged In Gold by Ineke. Which has cinnamon and woods. Also, Prada L'eau Ambree is a great amber for fall. Both I intend to be reaching for often this fall.

I also think of Spicebomb, Egoiste and Musc Ravageur right away because of the cinnamon/spicy notes.

I also think notes like star anise, vanilla and licorice are great for those chillier fall days.
    Last edited by kalli; 17th June 2012 at 10:05 AM.
    "Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom." "It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel." Proverbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Sycomore by Chanel. If it were a colour, it would be the brown of fallen leaves.
    Earthy, smokey, nutty - all things I associate with Autumn.

Post Thanks / Like

Kagey:

oh, I see the reference to autumn. Having grown up in a city, I wasn't getting the association between smoke and autumn - to me BoG is more like a post-industrial ruin.

AE perfumers reserve (the current special edition) is a little smoother than regular AE. Aramis 900 ends up in the same patch as AE too, but is more floral up top.

cacio