Code of Conduct

Default Is this weird: More into "male" scents than female LATELY

Hi all, I'm new here, so please excuse my lack of eloquence! So, it's not that I don't like women's perfume. It's just lately everything smells the same to me at Sephora/Ulta etc. I used to be super picky/obsessy about fragrance, but I haven't been excited about the fragrances on the market today. At least not the designer fragrances. So, I've been gravitating towards men's colognes...mostly one's that are listed as unisex and some that aren't but smell like they could be. I find the masculine "kick" kind of makes them unique from all of the perfumes out there now. But, I still want to smell feminine!

Anyone relate? The 3 that I am interested in right now are: Le Male, C&S No. 88, and my new obsession which I have a teeny tiny sample of and will be buying a bottle of as soon as I can gather the mucho $$$ is C&S Oxford & Cambridge. OMG, this smells like heaven to me! But, I guess I am a little worried about if others will think I smell..."manly"? (Not that it will stop me from buying!!!)

Basenotes Member

Default Re: Is this weird: More into "male" scents than female LATELY

I relate! After a decade of smelling like a Mugler perfume counter, I reluctantly spritzed some testers but was dissatisfied with just about every designer fragrance marketed toward women. After lurking on this forum - mostly typing in notes that seemed interesting to me - I ordered my first round of unisex samples. One thing I learned is that I lean toward those that would probably be considered more "masculine" in a blind sniff test among the general public (e.g. Tom Ford Tuscan Leather, Helmut Lang Cuiron, and some of the Comme des Garcons offerings that mostly men seem to rave to about in this community). Through reading tons of posts, I also learned that one important key to unbridled enjoyment of fragrances is to unlearn previous constructs of what is supposed to smell "male" or "female" and become comfortable in our own scented skin. During my recently adopted but fast-growing obsession with this hobby (and this community) I've gotten the best recommendations for light, airy, white florals from men; likewise, I participated in an exchange with a woman who was looking for a raunchy, heavy, animalistic scent for her own wear. To me, the most fun aspect of niche perfumery is how its general philosophy rests on an entirely different-from-designer set of premises that seem to regard gender as an afterthought at most. Wear what you love, and keep testing your own boundaries!
    Current Top 5:
    CdG Odeur 71
    Helmut Lang Cuiron
    CdG Skai
    CB I Hate Perfume To See a Flower
    CdG Eau de Parfum (melted bottle)

Thanks ajolie7! That makes a lot of sense...and makes me feel more confident in my recent perfume interests! I guess what I need to do now is start learning which notes I like and start ordering samples!

Mmm, and I am just addicted to Eau Sauvage - still!

You should wear Oxford & Cambridge with pride as its one of if not THE best lavender scents out there.

You will find you are in good company here on basenotes!

Here is the link to some threads with some recommendations of fragrances:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/217...ht=male+unisex

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/282...aring+male+men

I prefer fragrances with more unisex or masculine notes, in particular woody or resinous fragrances.

Wear what smells good to you!

Basenotes is such a great resource - welcome to the addiction ;-)
    Last edited by galwaygirl001; 17th June 2012 at 01:01 PM.

I relate. Some of my new faves are marketed towards men: La Nuit de L'Homme by Yves Saint Laurent, Racquet's Formula and Blenheim Bouquet by Penhaligons. I think you should wear what you like. Not sure if I would brave wearing Brute, it's so recognizable, but I do wear fragrances that are marketed towards men if I really like it. I like the woody and smoky smelly scents that are often in men's scents. Now I want to smell Oxford and Cambridge, sounds divine!

I totally relate. What's the point of limiting yourself to one side of the perfume counter, anyway?

And I wouldn't worry about smelling masculine. Nobody's going to walk up to you and go "oh god she smells like a man!" Wear what you like with confidence.

Most people here in on BN consider all perfumes unisex and gender assignment pure marketing. Likely, most people wouldn't be able to assign a perfume to the marketed genre if they didn't know the ad.

As an example, try smelling the two siblings Aromatics Elixir (marketed to women) and Aramis 900 (marketed to men) next to each other. Which is which?

(That said, I draw a line at Kouros and Eau d'Hermes. This is boys only, sorry.)

cacio

You should wear Oxford & Cambridge with pride as its one of if not THE best lavender scents out there
    Oh, I definitely will be now! If I had any doubt before it is gone now. I seriously can't wait to get it. I was wearing it yesterday from the sample I have and it lasted for hours on my skin and smelled better and better as the night went on. It's a done deal.

Heavenscent1- Def get the sample pack from Czech & Speake. I love O&C!

Thank you galwaygirl001 for the links...and to everyone who replied! You guys are awesome and I'm glad to know I am not as weird as I thought lol!

Banned

Wear whatever pleases you.

&

Thanks Dollar&Scents. I'm a South Floridian too! I've quickly embraced that philosophy.

Today I am wearing YSL L'HOMME and I'm lovin' it.

Yep wear what makes you happy, nothing wrong with enjoying scents. I rock out my girlfriends bottle of marc jacobs daisy when im at the house all alone. And im no Dollars&Scents, but

-~=WeLcOmE=~-

and i was just joking about the daisy thing...

Could it have something to do with the hotter weather, this preference for 'male' scents? I find I seek out cleaner, fresher smells in summer and go for the orientals in cold weather. Also, there seem to be (on my limited exploration, at least, so far) less of the fruity inanity you seem to get everywhere with women's perfumes. Men don't want to smell like fruit, and you get that clean waterfall, crystal quality with a lot of men's stuff.

Hahah, thanks for the warm welcome, Fragnif! And don't worry, no need to be embarrassed, I won't tell.

Hi Andria, I don't know if it's the hot weather causing it. It's always hot in Florida lol! The scents that I am drawn to so far are Le Male, YSL L'Homme & Oxford & Cambridge. Yes, I don't want anything too heavy in the summer, but I think it's more just that I'd like to smell unique & I'm bored with the designer fragrances marketed to women (for the most part). That's not to say I won't/don't wear some of the female fragrances I already own or that I won't buy any female fragrances in the future. I will! I bought Alien not too long ago & Miss Dior Cherie. I like them both. But, I'm just not "wowed" & I am wowed by some of my new found 'male' fragrances.

Now niche fragrances I know nothing about. I am totally open to suggestions & maybe I'll fall in love again & be a total girly girl.

infinity,

http://surrendertochance.com/ sells samples which is a great way to try out niche fragrances - you can search by notes you like or brand. Warning - it gets addictive!

Some of my favourite unisex fragrances so far:

Acqua di Parma cipresso di toscana - a fresh cypress scent
    serge lutens feminitie du bois - plummy cedarwood
    hermes santal massoia - figgy sandalwood
    parfumerie generale jardin de kerylos - green floral fig
    diptyque philosykos - coconutty fig
    diptyque tam dao - sandalwood
    comme des garcons Avignon - church incense

Thank you SO much galwaygirl. Sounds weird but I'd honestly be thrilled if my perfume addiction came back. I used to love collecting. My wallet not so much, but me, yes. (not that I need another addiction, ha!)

I see no problems at all. There are bunches of males that fits perfectly a woman.

It's all marketing anyway. I prefer deeper more complex fragrances, and I find that ones marketed towards men more often fit that bill than the stuff you find in the female section. Wear what you feel like!