Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: L'Heure Bleue 2012 edition and reformulation ??

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    The bottle was beautiful right up until I made a connection, and then what was seen could not be unseen.

I can't say L'Heure looks particularly virile in this state, though...
    Uh, what's the expression - a grower not a show-er ?

Another reformulation of LHB? Fortunately, Guerlain already broke my heart in 2010, so this one holds no appeal.
    Anakin: What was that all about?
    Obi-Wan: Well, R2 has been...
    Anakin: No loose wire jokes.
    Obi-Wan: Did I say anything?
    Anakin: He's trying.
    Obi-Wan: I didn't say anything!

-ROTS

I don't have any vintage and probably won't at this late date. Is it even worth spending the money on the new stuff? If yes, which is best? The EDT, the EDP, the extrait? Remember I, sadly, have never known the vintage in any form.

Welcome!

I've smelled the new edp in store. It's pretty, in a floral spicy way, but it doesn't have the magic of the vintage. It is still better than most mainstream, but, again, whether it's worth depends on your tastes (having smelled vintage, it is not for me). Hard to describe, HB created a dreamy atmosphere, serene, somewhat melancholic, almost edible but not quite, which is simply lost in the new version.

You can often find testers at upscale dept stores like Neimans or Saks, so if you happen nearby, you can check. I have not smelled the other new formulations - usually, with Guerlain, the parfum is richer but costs vastly more. Since the restricted ingredients cannot go into the parfum either, it's not clear whether it is the case here anyway.

HB tends to be expensive on ebay, but occasionally half bottles or so can be found for reasonable prices. And occasionally it can also be found in antique or vintage stores - keep an eye. Last year, for instance, I found 200ml edc in a Boston antique store for $85.

Beware, though, things like Apres L'Ondee and Heure Bleue are very different from modern perfumes, and to many people they smell old, perfumey, powdery - more associated with their (elegant) grandmothers.

cacio

Cacio, thanks for the quick reply and the straight forward advice. I can understand pretty, floral, spicy. I have been completely mystified by all the descriptions out there. You know, when people only write about perfume like it is a memory or a feeling or food. I like the idea of perfume bringing all those memories but it doesn't really help me decide if I should spend the money. So, I'm going to try it, the new EDP and hope to be enchanted. Since I will never get to know the melancholic beauty of the vintage unless there are some major breakthroughs in the perfume making industry, I will not have anything to judge it against. Perhaps that is just as well since I would just long for what I can't have. Again, thanks for the help.

- - - Updated - - -

My first bottle of L'Heure Bleue came today. It is the new EDP. I opened it right there in the car and sprayed it on. I love it! Good thing too as the spray bottle really blasted out a lot with one spray. Me, my coat, the car, my purse, everything in a fairly large radius got covered in it. I'm sure the people at the grocery store had no doubt what I was wearing. On the other hand no one ran from me complaining about the smell and that store was crowded. So, a good scent test out there on the unsuspecting public. I can't believe I've never tried this before now. I guess I was hesitant because of all those "old lady perfume" comments. This isn't "cheap" or "old lady" or "fruit salad modern" or anything but great. I have to find a bottle of extrait. I've nearly hyperventilated smelling my own arm over and over again.

- - - Updated - - -

My first bottle of L'Heure Bleue came today. It is the new EDP. I opened it right there in the car and sprayed it on. I love it! Good thing too as the spray bottle really blasted out a lot with one spray. Me, my coat, the car, my purse, everything in a fairly large radius got covered in it. I'm sure the people at the grocery store had no doubt what I was wearing. On the other hand no one ran from me complaining about the smell and that store was crowded. So, a good scent test out there on the unsuspecting public. I can't believe I've never tried this before now. I guess I was hesitant because of all those "old lady perfume" comments. This isn't "cheap" or "old lady" or "fruit salad modern" or anything but great. I have to find a bottle of extrait. I've nearly hyperventilated smelling my own arm over and over again.