Code of Conduct

Default Van Cleef Arpels Tsar - starts off like mix of Vintage Tabarome + Invasion Barbare + Tobacco Vanille

twenty minutes it smells like light smoke and fish. The opening is rich with leather, sweetness, smoke, citrus . . . but the mid-note and dry down smells subtly like fish to me.

Does anyone else have this? Thoughts?

Default Re: Van Cleef Arpels Tsar - starts off like mix of Vintage Tabarome + Invasion Barbare + Tobacco Van

Any chance I could have gotten a fake? I paid $30 off the internet for a tester which is the going rate, from an Ebay seller with like 7000 positive reviews.

Default Re: Van Cleef Arpels Tsar - starts off like mix of Vintage Tabarome + Invasion Barbare + Tobacco Van

I have it but don't make the same scent associations that you do with this scent. It's a fine scent.

Vintage Tabarome + Invasion Barbare + Tobacco Vanille sounds good to me but nothing like Tsar. No idea why it would smell of fish. I've never got anything remotely resembling this.

First of all it's important to say what bottle we are talking about as they are quite different:

The bad one:

Or the good one, most true to vintage:
    My Top 10 : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme
    - Guerlain: Homme L'Eau Boisee
    - Pal Zileri: Cuoio
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Amouage: Jubilation XXV
    - Dior: Homme Intense
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by laph View Post
    Vintage Tabarome + Invasion Barbare + Tobacco Vanille sounds good to me but nothing like Tsar. No idea why it would smell of fish. I've never got anything remotely resembling this.
    Me neither and I have the vintage version.

... and what about this bottle?

van-cleef-tsar.jpg

I'm puzzled.. this is worse than choose a name for my baby!!

Dependent

I don't get fish either (vintage juice). It's lots of herbs, patchouli, and musk, a little floral touch, with an unusual touch of coconut in the base

it's mossy but not fishy.. you getting confused!

Banned

Despite not knowing the vintage Tabarome I don't get this opening.

I noticed that If you smell on paper it's great; on someone's skin, it's horrendous.
    There's a lot of difference from person to person.