Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Designer Sniffs: some thoughts

So, I went designer sniffing today, TRYING to find something I like.

Paco Robanne Invictus actually smell kinda nice, but I didn't put it on my skin.

I tried several fragrances: Dior Homme Sport (meh), Polo Red (meh), some John Varvatos (all interesting), some Gucci, Hugo Boss stuff, etc., but I revisited a few old ones and tried some new ones on my skin.

Dior Homme Eau for Men: Was initially put off by the lipstick smell at the opening, but the dry down is AMAZING. I almost bought a bottle. The projection and longevity of this seems like it might be quite poor, though. Is the original any different?

EDIT: Wait, this is different than just Dior Homme? Jesus. Ok, so how many different formulations/flankers of this do I have to try?

John Varvatos Vintage: Liked it a lot at first, but the dry down is just too spicy. Goes to show that you should always test on your skin.

I revisited Polo Blue. I have a bottle, but I'm pretty sure it has gone bad. Either this has been reformulated or my tastes have changed. The opening is not as good as I remember, and the dry down is just not that good. It's got a nice suede "texture" to it, but there is a soapiness that just does not sit right with me.

Sprayed some good ole Polo (green) on a tester. The memories! This is not nearly as pine heavy as I remember, and the dry down is quite nice and leathery, which having first smelled this as a young teenager, I did NOT remember. This stuff is good. I want to try Modern Reserve.

Grey Flannel: From all the hate for this, I expected to be revulsed, but it's not that bad at all. It's not something I would wear, but it doesn't stink IMO.

I tried Cool Water AGAIN, and I'm further convinced the GIT comparisons are WAY, WAY overstated. Cool Water is MUCH more floral and WAY less green. I actually detect some lavender in CW, but none in GIT. And the opening of this new formulation is really terrible.
    Last edited by tensor9; 30th November 2014 at 09:47 PM.

Default Re: Designer Sniffs: some thoughts

Dior Home Eau is a good one. The dry down IMO is the best part of its development as you have experienced. Doesn't have the longevity of the other flankers but still not awful IMO.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

It's always nice to smell some designers. There's always some hidden gems if you know where to sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by tensor9 View Post
    I tried Cool Water AGAIN, and I'm further convinced the GIT comparisons are WAY, WAY overstated. Cool Water is MUCH more floral and WAY less green. I actually detect some lavender in CW, but none in GIT. And the opening of this new formulation is really terrible.
    Well appreciated analysis. I might get GIT. I noticed similarities in the opening.

Are you chemist/scientist btw? Just asking based off your avatar.

The best fragrance ever made is fahrenheit.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Dior Home Eau is a good one. The dry down IMO is the best part of its development as you have experienced. Doesn't have the longevity of the other flankers but still not awful IMO.
    I think this is a great example of where body chemistry comes in to play.....because I get better longevity with Eau for Men than I did with the original Homme.

I will say this, though...the longevity is spotty on me with Eau for Men. Sometimes, it's beast mode...and I can smell it a good 12+ hours later. Other times, 4 hours and I can hardly tell if it's there. But usually, I get a good 6 to 8, which on my skin, is actually pretty outstanding. I was lucky to get 6 with the original (more like 4 to 5)

Then again, it could just be what my nose is able to pick up and detects as much as it is body chemistry....

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Flatbush Ave View Post
    Well appreciated analysis. I might get GIT. I noticed similarities in the opening.

Are you chemist/scientist btw? Just asking based off your avatar.
    I would like to add that the drydown of CW is much sweeter as well. :d

Yes, I have a Ph.D. in (inorganic) chemistry. My avatar is a trinuclear lanthanide cluster supported by a cool poly-ol/amine ligand.

Nice assessments. I recommend you try Modern Reserve if you have the chance.
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

John Varvatos is a good one indeed. Longevity can be short lived though.

Thanks for your reviews. Looking to check out Dior Homme Eau myself.

Quote Originally Posted by tensor9 View Post

Dior Homme Eau for Men: Was initially put off by the lipstick smell at the opening, but the dry down is AMAZING. I almost bought a bottle. The projection and longevity of this seems like it might be quite poor, though. Is the original any different?

EDIT: Wait, this is different than just Dior Homme? Jesus. Ok, so how many different formulations/flankers of this do I have to try?
    I too found Dior Homme Sport to be meh, but I'm loving Dior Homme, Dior Homme Intense and Dior Homme Parfum. I've smelled Eau for Men a couple of times at the airport and enjoyed it. Probably the most accessible and mainstream of the series, but well done. Love the iris in the beginning. It's what ties it to the Dior Homme family and sets it apart from other mass market scents.
    Aventus? Never heard of it.