Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 60 of 89
  1. #1

    Default Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Well, I'm sure many of you are familiar with Kerosene's youtube channel and his newly established fragrance line. Have any of you tried any of his fragrances, what is your opinion on the line?

    To be honest, I'm rather skeptical of it in general...with all due respect. I'm sure he puts a lot of time and effort into them without a doubt but are they really worth what you're paying for? Seeing that he is rather knew to the game, to throw the same value on them as fragrances worked on by veteran perfumers leaves me with some questions.

    With most niche and even designers...you're usually paying for a perfumer that has years if not decades of experience in the art. Now I have nothing against John but seeing a "average joe"/"rookie" jump into the game with a 3 digit price tag, of course I'm curious as to if its really all its hyped up to be.

    I've seen a lot of mixed reviews..some like it and some hate it.

    So for those who have actually tried the line, what are your thoughts?

    Is it worth it?

  2. #2

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    I'm also curious as to the quality of John's offerings. He seems like a genuine and nice guy, but I'm just not sure about the fragrances. Not too keen on the bottles, a bit like a poor-man's By Kilian (not bashing at all, simply my opinion) and appear very 'homemade' but I'm not sure if that is part of the charm/intentional.

    Any opinions appreciated.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Agreed, I can care less about the bottle persoanlly...they are kinda like by Kilian though.

    It all comes down to the scent and the quality of the fragrance.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by yteek View Post
    Well, I'm sure many of you are familiar with Kerosene's youtube channel and his newly established fragrance line. Have any of you tried any of his fragrances, what is your opinion on the line?

    To be honest, I'm rather skeptical of it in general...with all due respect. I'm sure he puts a lot of time and effort into them without a doubt but are they really worth what you're paying for? Seeing that he is rather knew to the game, to throw the same value on them as fragrances worked on by veteran perfumers leaves me with some questions.

    With most niche and even designers...you're usually paying for a perfumer that has years if not decades of experience in the art. Now I have nothing against John but seeing a "average joe"/"rookie" jump into the game with a 3 digit price tag, of course I'm curious as to if its really all its hyped up to be.

    I've seen a lot of mixed reviews..some like it and some hate it.

    So for those who have actually tried the line, what are your thoughts?

    Is it worth it?
    In response to this and to back-up my previous post, I have nothing against a new perfumer coming onto the scene and charging top whack for his products if they are worth the price tag (in the same way that a new movie actor could be paid the same amount as a veteran, as long as they know what they are doing; this is from experience, I'm in the industry!) I just don't know enough about the line yet and as the OP stated, reviews are very mixed at this point. I also don't want to order samples uninformed, as shipping is expensive on top of the sample price for what could be a let down.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by yteek View Post
    Agreed, I can care less about the bottle persoanlly...they are kinda like by Kilian though.

    It all comes down to the scent and the quality of the fragrance.
    I too don't purchase based on the bottle design; however, I do find that generally a well designed, well made, well presented bottle draws the eye and consequently, the nose. If I saw these on the shelf next to some By Kilians or Mona di Orio bottles, I'd think they contained a relatively cheap fragrance.

  6. #6
    Sur la Plage

    petruccijc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach, Florida
    Posts
    17,010

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    You are never going to know unless you sample them yourself - just like any other line/fragrance.

    Personally, I think John has done an excellent job. I own and enjoy R'Oud Elements, Copper Skies and Whips and Roses. I am very happy with my purchases.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

  7. #7

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    You are never going to know unless you sample them yourself - just like any other line/fragrance.

    Personally, I think John has done an excellent job. I own and enjoy R'Oud Elements, Copper Skies and Whips and Roses. I am very happy with my purchases.
    I respect your nose/opinion. Hopefully, you'll see where I'm coming from though regarding the samples. I tend to do a lot of research before ordering anything, samples or full bottles. The fragrances that I want to get my nose on have a habit of being unobtainable in the UK! I know I can get some samples sent over from Germany and will probably do so next time I order some FBs.

  8. #8
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    83,827

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    I've tried only one - R'oud Elements that a friend of mine had. Nothing special IMO. Have smelled better oud scents. Perhaps the others are better.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    I possibly would sample it if they were free...but probably not.

    I am the type of person before purchasing or sampling anything, I do look into the reviews beforehand and the responses of the general public beforehand....then I'm able to see if it meets expectations or if it falls short.

    petruccijc, were you a fan of his channel beforehand and did you blind buy the fragrances or sample beforehand?

  10. #10

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Any fragrance's worth is directly linked to your enjoyment of the fragrance. The only way you can know will be to sample. For many they are worth it. I've heard many good things on this board from noses I trust, I doubt they are lying. Everyone is a novice at one point and I believe John has been in to creating his own scents for a long time.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraghead View Post
    I'm also curious as to the quality of John's offerings. He seems like a genuine and nice guy, but I'm just not sure about the fragrances. Not too keen on the bottles, a bit like a poor-man's By Kilian (not bashing at all, simply my opinion) and appear very 'homemade' but I'm not sure if that is part of the charm/intentional.

    Any opinions appreciated.
    Each bottle is hand painted by John himself, using automotive paint. They look nothing like By Kilian except for being a rectangle.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    I think with the square emblem, it does have its similarities...they're obviously really different but comparable at least.


  12. #12
    Sur la Plage

    petruccijc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach, Florida
    Posts
    17,010

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by yteek View Post
    I possibly would sample it if they were free...but probably not.

    I am the type of person before purchasing or sampling anything, I do look into the reviews beforehand and the responses of the general public beforehand....then I'm able to see if it meets expectations or if it falls short.

    petruccijc, were you a fan of his channel beforehand and did you blind buy the fragrances or sample beforehand?
    I sampled them first, then made my decisions. I do not watch his channel.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 18th June 2012 at 08:57 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

  13. #13

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    I actually like the look of the bottles. On to the juice.... I think R'Oud Elements is decent. I own Copper Skies, and I really enjoy it. I haven't been able to try the others yet.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    I'm getting some samples of this line this week, I'm very very intrigued I have to say. Really looking forward to seeing what Kerosene has produced.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    A couple of years ago I would have obtained some samples, but now what I'm finding is that the new frags I sample smell enough like something I already have, and so there is no need for a bottle. The unique ones I generally don't like, and I don't like strong oud notes. Once in a rare while I come across a frag that is different enough and pleasant enough that it is worth buying, but because that is so rare I don't go out of my way to obtain samples.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    Any fragrance's worth is directly linked to your enjoyment of the fragrance. The only way you can know will be to sample. For many they are worth it. I've heard many good things on this board from noses I trust, I doubt they are lying. Everyone is a novice at one point and I believe John has been in to creating his own scents for a long time.



    Each bottle is hand painted by John himself, using automotive paint. They look nothing like By Kilian except for being a rectangle.
    I also say that they appear homemade, so I'm not wrong there. I will repeat that I'm not bashing. It's an opinion, something that everyone is entitled to! I also state that I'm happy to pay top dollar for something if it's worth it, regardless of whether it's a new perfumer or an established one. Defending myself here starship, as I feel you're turning my post into something negative, which was not at all my intention. Accept my apologies if I have offended you.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraghead View Post
    I also say that they appear homemade...
    It's not likely someone like him could reproduce the complexity, dynamism, etc. of the great vintage frags, and I don't think one should sample his frags with that in mind (not that I'm saying that is what you did). I have yet to find a recent frag that has accomplished this, including the most expensive niche I've sampled. Rather, one should expect a simpler frag that is rich and straightforward. If you expect something different from this kind of "house" I think the likelihood of disappointment is great.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    I got a sample pack of Kerosene scents from MIN and have been testing them to write for my blog. On first sniff, I am impressed by the depth and development of the majority of them. There is one that doesn't agree with my skins but the others seem to be working very well.

    I come from the dance music world which is experiencing a DIY phenomenon as well. If you go back 10 years, the cost of equipment was really high - and then record labels exercised the role of quality control, acting as a filter to what came out on the market. With music production software being so cheap - everyone is a producer and the amount of tracks being released to beatport is overwhelming. Where as I used to listen to 10 tracks and buy/love 4-5 of them - that ration is now 1 or 2.

    In the fragrance world, the world of niche/independent perfumers enables a lot of people to put their fragrances on the market - etsy is the market place that anyone can put their scents on. Then stores like indiescent, min, aedes act as a filter.

    For the past year, I've been enjoying exploring independent perfumers who are free from major market restraints (like major labels in the dance music world) and are able to be more creative/out there. Off the top of my head - Slumberhouse, Sweet Anthem, Providence Perfume and Kerosene come to mind.

    One thing I will say - if you are looking at economics - I am tempted to say that the value of aromachemicals/ingredients used in independent scents are higher than those used in mainstream/designer scents. For example, when I smell Slumberhouse Norne - I imagine that if the same scent was released mainstream or from a larger niche house - it would be priced 4-5x more.
    Check out my new blog http://www.NotableScents.net

  19. #19

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    You are never going to know unless you sample them yourself - just like any other line/fragrance.

    Personally, I think John has done an excellent job. I own and enjoy R'Oud Elements, Copper Skies and Whips and Roses. I am very happy with my purchases.
    Judging from my time here at basenotes, I know Joe has a pretty discriminating nose - he certainly doesn't like "just anything." To again relate this conversation to music, the Foo Fighters made their last record in their garage. Sometimes a natural energy, free of convention makes for a really good product. I've yet to sample John's frags, so I don't have an opinion yet, but I look forward to testing them in the next couple weeks.

    As for the price, I'd have to think he buys his materials in much smaller batches than most houses, which probably drive up production costs a bit. $140 a bottle isn't crazy expensive by any means though, if the juice is good.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by jamwires View Post
    ...As for the price, I'd have to think he buys his materials in much smaller batches than most houses, which probably drive up production costs a bit. $140 a bottle isn't crazy expensive by any means though, if the juice is good.
    I don't think $140 is "crazy," but rather that it is meant to convey exclusivity, and not based upon some sort of utilitarian formula. Smell Bent is much cheaper, and I think their quality is quite good, so $140 is too much, IMO, for a person like myself, who is in it only for the fragrance (not the bottle, nor any sense of being special because I wear niche frag X).

  21. #21
    Pollux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    http://goo.gl/1zgdDl
    Posts
    3,584

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by djron91 View Post

    ...

    I come from the dance music world which is experiencing a DIY phenomenon as well. If you go back 10 years, the cost of equipment was really high - and then record labels exercised the role of quality control, acting as a filter to what came out on the market. With music production software being so cheap - everyone is a producer and the amount of tracks being released to beatport is overwhelming. Where as I used to listen to 10 tracks and buy/love 4-5 of them - that ration is now 1 or 2.

    In the fragrance world, the world of niche/independent perfumers enables a lot of people to put their fragrances on the market - etsy is the market place that anyone can put their scents on. Then stores like indiescent, min, aedes act as a filter.

    For the past year, I've been enjoying exploring independent perfumers who are free from major market restraints (like major labels in the dance music world) and are able to be more creative/out there. Off the top of my head - Slumberhouse, Sweet Anthem, Providence Perfume and Kerosene come to mind.

    One thing I will say - if you are looking at economics - I am tempted to say that the value of aromachemicals/ingredients used in independent scents are higher than those used in mainstream/designer scents. For example, when I smell Slumberhouse Norne - I imagine that if the same scent was released mainstream or from a larger niche house - it would be priced 4-5x more.
    Agree 100 %. As to costs, that is only something manufacturers know, but I have the feeling that it is the way you describe it to be.

    Off topic, I am left thinking about the future of these independent perfumists.

    Option A: Like Andy Tauer, they will insist on supervising operations so they will keep business operations limited.

    Option B: Big multinational corporations (MNCs) find the prestige of their brands in peril so they massively acquire many independent companies, like the ones owned by Kerosene.

    Option C: They coexist - aficionados end up leaving big MNC's brands to the masses and explore offerings by independent perfumists.

    Option D: Big MNCs launch "faked independent perfumists" through shill marketing activities and we, aficionados, end up supporting them without being aware of the scheme.

    Sorry, just doing some perfume-business-fiction.

    On topic: end up curious. New ones in my list for future reviews in our blog.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    I don't want to get to niche/designer argument but its come down to good or bad.

    Me personally will never pay retail for niche, I buy decants...unless there is no other option...cause for the most part I have a hard time justifying spending over a hundred dollars on a bottle of juice.

    I'm one who can appreciate quality, but expensive ingredients doesn't indicate that.

    Even though I'm aware he had to put in some investments in the start up cost, I'm sure in the long run with the production cost in comparison to the sales... there will be a high profit margin.

    Nothing wrong with that, its a money making business...but I want to know if people think its really worth that.

    I know a lot of people are fans of Kerosene and there is nothing wrong with that and obviously some have invested into his company already...I just think this may be more bias.

    I know some people love it and some people hate it....I'm just open to here both sides of the discussion because like I said in my original post, I'm a skeptic.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    I think I'll order some MIN samples since I have some extra cash, any other suggestions besides Kerosene?

  24. #24

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Fraghead View Post
    I also say that they appear homemade, so I'm not wrong there. I will repeat that I'm not bashing. It's an opinion, something that everyone is entitled to! I also state that I'm happy to pay top dollar for something if it's worth it, regardless of whether it's a new perfumer or an established one. Defending myself here starship, as I feel you're turning my post into something negative, which was not at all my intention. Accept my apologies if I have offended you.
    Oh I didn't mean to sound so negative (which I guess I come across as) no need to apologize. I was just trying to explain the detail obviously put into the product. I think the homemade look goes very well with the vibe I get from him, which is very down to earth.

  25. #25

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by yteek View Post
    I think I'll order some MIN samples since I have some extra cash, any other suggestions besides Kerosene?
    MIN definitely has some great fragrances to offer, you can sample all 5 of the Kerosene fragrances for $10. I'd also recommend checking out Heeley, Amouage, and Tauer which they all carry.

    Another thing to consider, if a store like MinNY picks up a line (and the others his fragrances are sold at) there's a good chance it's not a fluke.

  26. #26

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    I've never tried any of his frags, but I agree with this sentiment. I am pretty sure that people are giving him a boost because he was a reviewer himself, and thus giving his fragrances a higher grade than they would receive if they were say a Bond No. 9, a Creed or another polarizing brand.

  27. #27

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    I feel that this thread is full of haters. They say familuarity breeds contempt. Why out of the thousands of mediocore scents saturating the market is there a thread questioning this individuals product which has proven to be legite? Not a good look here.

  28. #28
    PuddleMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces
    Posts
    2,487

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by yteek View Post
    I possibly would sample it if they were free...but probably not.

    I am the type of person before purchasing or sampling anything, I do look into the reviews beforehand and the responses of the general public beforehand....then I'm able to see if it meets expectations or if it falls short.
    so basically you'd rather have your opinions formed for you?


    Quote Originally Posted by yteek View Post
    To be honest, I'm rather skeptical of it in general...
    to be honest, seems like you have an axe to grind.


    Quote Originally Posted by yteek View Post
    I know a lot of people are fans of Kerosene and there is nothing wrong with that and obviously some have invested into his company already...I just think this may be more bias.

    I know some people love it and some people hate it....I'm just open to here both sides of the discussion because like I said in my original post, I'm a skeptic.

    I think I'll order some MIN samples since I have some extra cash, any other suggestions besides Kerosene?
    for someone who clearly has no interest in Kerosene fragrances you sure are hellbent on trying to discredit them. this thread had ill intentions from go.


    I smell previously banned member, and not a very bright one at that.

    ╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄««««« Çlïck ít ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

  29. #29
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,296
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Great thread! yteek is thinking some of the exact same questions that went through my mind. Homemade, untrained, all of it.

    I liked R'oud Elements very much when I sampled, and found it FBW, so I bought it. I eventually did a side-by-side with M7 vintage and found that I love R'oud far more than ANY version of M7. R'oud is a wee bit "rougher" in texture, but I've come to love that aspect. It has certain spicy and smoky and orange kicks to it that I think are amazing, and the typical niche solidity of the thing (longevity and projection over time - i.e., area under curve) just blows poor M7 out of the water. Not saying that M7 is bad - just that R'oud isn't wasting the ability of niche to amp things up where designer hesitates to go. And you know me - I love designer stuff.

    Creature is unwearable to me, but I respect it. "Tauer-esque" - sorta like the Lonestar Memories of green notes. Do NOT buy that thing unseen. I may come back to it, because some aspects are very attractive, but it's challenging overall.

    Copper Skies is a very different woody and amber - enough that I didn't find it derivative of anything. It is REALLY well named - it evokes red, dry brick and dead wood to me. However, despite being somewhat novel, it just didn't excite me, so I didn't buy.

    Haven't smelled the new ones - looking forward to them.

    The scents smell - to me - both untrained and unconstrained. Training has both positive and negative elements. Training is a shortcut to things that can take a lot of time to discover on one's own. However, training tends to bypass some really interesting things that people simply miss.

    I think comparison of R'oud Elements to Mona's oud (which I just smelled, thanks to Brian Chambers) is very telling. Mona trained and worked with some of the greats in perfumery. That oud really is a masterpiece. There is this wonderful, classical state of balance that she brings it to, which reminds me of perfect states that I have seen in my beloved Chanels, such as Cuir de Russie and no. 5 Eau Première. I see that as a byproduct of training - because classic perfumes tend to seek out such multicomponent perfect points.

    R'oud Elements, however, is perfectly named, because it shuns that type of beauty, for something which is "rude, crude, and socially unacceptable", as they used to say, but has a beauty that any lover of Kansas City <whatever> will recognize. In fact, there is a part of R'oud that smells every bit like barbecued orange chicken on a grill to me. Very American. Like early jazz, it's uneducated, but hugely attractive, and very emergent. I love it!

    Be skeptical. These are NOT common scents that are easy to love. Sample. But I have to admit that I've gotten bored with a lot of the safer, more designerish niche stuff lately, and Kerosene was the first niche line in some time that I was really excited about bottling on.

    I think that training is a worthy thing, and I wish more young perfume lovers with talent like Kerosene would consider going into the industry, getting the training, infusing designer and corporate niche fragrances with their talents, and driving mainstream perfumery in new and interesting directions. But not all of them. It's always good to have those outsiders, to keep things real.
    * * * *

  30. #30

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Spoken like a true pro, Redneck! Fair and balanced! (Something most of this thread is not)

  31. #31
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    220

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    so basically you'd rather have your opinions formed for you?

    to be honest, seems like you have an axe to grind.

    for someone who clearly has no interest in Kerosene fragrances you sure are hellbent on trying to discredit them. this thread had ill intentions from go.

    I smell previously banned member, and not a very bright one at that.
    Please, you seem very attacking against the fellow. He has expressed interest by saying he wants to order Kerosene samples. Also, just because he looks at reviews to see if something generally is received well doesn't mean he wants his opinions decided for him. I often cannot sample fragrances, so I also read many reviews to get a feel for whether or not a fragrance has met people's expectations, and to gauge if I would enjoy it enough to blind buy.

    Relax man, I think OP is just wanting a regular discussion on peoples opinions of an independent perfumist (and his pricing haha)

    As for myself, I would not pay upwards of $100 for a bottle unless it was good stuff. To do that I would have to sample, and I'm not willing to shell out $5 to get a sample of something that's not already well established. I don't have all that much money to piss away. If I weren't a student, then I probably wouldn't have a problem with ordering samples from Kerosene. If Joe thinks his stuff is good, then the guy must be fairly talented at making perfumes.

    Just my .02

  32. #32

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by PuddleMonkey View Post
    so basically you'd rather have your opinions formed for you?
    No, I like to have an idea if a product is good or not before buying into it...I like to research into it beforehand and see if it meets those expectations or does it fall short of the hype. I like to gather information/opinions before just throwing my money out without any direction.



    to be honest, seems like you have an axe to grind.




    for someone who clearly has no interest in Kerosene fragrances you sure are hellbent on trying to discredit them. this thread had ill intentions from go.
    If I had no interest, then why would I make a thread for it? Why have I inquired about samples in the past? Clearly, for better or worst...I have an interest

    I smell previously banned member, and not a very bright one at that.
    I was never on the forum before...nice shot though.



    Just because I'm hesitant to jump on the bandwagon and I have my doubts...doesn't mean much and theres nothing wrong with being skeptic of something new. I really don't understand your hostile demeanor and your need to get defensive....

    I've even had my own interest in fragrance making and have even asked John before of how he goes about such but never got a reply either.
    Last edited by yteek; 18th June 2012 at 05:43 AM.

  33. #33
    Dependent heperd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    4,834

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    I have only tried R'oud Elements and it is really good. As good or better than most of the Montales that I have tried. I am very honest and would tell you if it was terrible/cheap/amateur. Its not.
    Since you said you never buy full bottles of niche frags I suspect you wont think any are fbw. And since you are skeptical you are probably not going to listen to anyone on here that has purchased full bottles. Some people on here buy 4-5 $150+ bottles per week so their idea of "worth it" is going to be vastly different from yours.

    Yes he may have a few buyers just off of his name, but him making yt vids is not going to convince MiNNewyork to sell his frags.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

    CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

  34. #34

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Just because MIN sells it doesn't really mean much to me personally...with all due respect.

    Not sure what you mean by FBW either?

    Like I said though at the moment there are few who seem to love some of his scents and a few that believe its not for them...but like I'm reemphasizing its only a few, considering its a relatively new company that has only been open to the market for a rather limited period of time.

  35. #35
    Dependent heperd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    4,834

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    It may not mean much to you but it is meaningful.

    Quote Originally Posted by yteek View Post
    Like I said though at the moment there are few who seem to love some of his scents and a few that believe its not for them...but like I'm reemphasizing its only a few, considering its a relatively new company that has only been open to the market for a rather limited period of time.
    So... they are exactly the same as every other fragrance in the world. Some like them, some dont.

    Like everyone has said, you are going to have to try them for yourself.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

    CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

  36. #36
    Moderator

    Redneck Perfumisto's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Spiritually, Kansas
    Posts
    13,296
    Blog Entries
    37

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by yteek View Post
    Just because MIN sells it doesn't really mean much to me personally...with all due respect.

    Not sure what you mean by FBW either?

    Like I said though at the moment there are few who seem to love some of his scents and a few that believe its not for them...but like I'm reemphasizing its only a few, considering its a relatively new company that has only been open to the market for a rather limited period of time.
    FBW = Full Bottle Worthy (an abbreviation common in the fragrance-lovers' world)

    MiN is a pretty high-end place. The fact that they sell Amouage, Miller-Harris, L'Artisan Parfumeur, Frapin, as well as a bunch of very trendy new brands like Carner Barcelona, and generally stay away from many smaller brands similar to Kerosene, but picked him up anyway, tells me that his stuff must have impressed Mindy and Chad more than a lot of other stuff which I don't find all that wonderful or exciting (no names). I agree that being carried at MiN means nothing to anybody's nose, personally. But I took it as a bit of validation - it made me think that Joe and I weren't totally crazy in liking R'oud Elements.

    You're definitely wise to be careful, IMO. Especially with something like Creature. $140 or whatever is a lot of coin. You don't want to drop that on something you would not be happy wearing repeatedly.
    * * * *

  37. #37

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by heperd View Post
    I have only tried R'oud Elements and it is really good. As good or better than most of the Montales that I have tried.
    Wow, anyone else agree?

  38. #38
    Dependent mesaboogie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Los Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    2,914

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Honest opinion here. I like R'oud Elements a lot. It is the easiest to wear Oud fragrance I've smelled so far. It actually does smell like a $140 fragrance from a high end house and not like something a guy made in his basement. Not only does it smell incredible, but it projects well and lasts a very long time. I get at least 10-12 hours every time I wear R'oud. It dries down to a very nice and delicate vanilla that lasts til the end. It has niche quality in that it doesn't smell like your average scent, however it doesn't smell weird and WTF like some niche companies who try to push the envelope too hard. As for the bottle, yeah it's just a generic atomizer, but the craftsmanship he put into making them look unique is top notch. The automotive paint is much more beautiful in person than the pictures lead you to believe. I have a 50ml of the "vintage" R'Oud bottle and I actually prefer it over the newer one. The new one is still nice though. I agree that the prices are a bit high for a novice, but the overhead to start up your own fragrance business is expensive I'm sure.

    That being said, I have also tried Creature and Copper Skies and wasn't a fan of them. The level of quality ingredients is apparent in them, but they're not for me. Copper Skies is ok, but it's too medicinal to me. I ordered a sample of Whips and Roses and Santalum Slivers from Min NY recently and I'm looking forward to trying them.

    Here's my bottle of Kerosene R'oud Elements for good measure.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

    Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

  39. #39

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    Honest opinion here. I like R'oud Elements a lot. It is the easiest to wear Oud fragrance I've smelled so far. It actually does smell like a $140 fragrance from a high end house and not like something a guy made in his basement. Not only does it smell incredible, but it projects well and lasts a very long time. I get at least 10-12 hours every time I wear R'oud. It dries down to a very nice and delicate vanilla that lasts til the end. It has niche quality in that it doesn't smell like your average scent, however it doesn't smell weird and WTF like some niche companies who try to push the envelope too hard.
    I recently got a sample and agree with every word of this. I don't like most oud scents, but this one is very appealing. I get a coca-cola note too which is very nice. That said I am unlikely to buy a bottle as M7 and M7 Fresh fulfill my limited oud requirements already. Nonetheless, this one is a winner. One minor caveat - those craving an avant-garde niche scent should look elsewhere IMO; there are no hard edges here, it just smells damn good

  40. #40
    Dependent heperd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Austin Texas
    Posts
    4,834

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Wow, anyone else agree?
    Most of the Montale Aouds that I have tried I have found to be unwearable. Too dry and overpowering, I feel like I am suffocating with them on. I love Aoud Musk because it has some sweetness to balance the oud and woods. The sweetness is what makes R'Oud so good.
    Though it is Top 10 worthy, I never have been able to find the oud in M7 so i dont include it in any comparison of ouds.
    Want to trade - Tom Ford Extreme for Windsor, Amber Absolute, Aventus x02....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/394...82#post3308582

    CHEAP CREED SPLITS
    Millesime Imperial, Original Santal, Green Irish Tweed
    Himalaya, Aventus, Tabarome
    plus Amouage Honour & Fate Man

    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/393...92#post3296892

  41. #41

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Wow, where to start?

    I agree that the tone of the OP feels a bit off. Don't know if this was intentional but it seems unnecessarily negative to me.

    Anyway, I've tried his first three fragrances and they're all very good.

    I have no issues with the quality or cost. I feel that $100ish is quite cheap for a 100ml fragrance from an independent perfumer that pours their time and love into a creation and into the presentation of every bottle.


    Onto the fragrances:

    R'oud isn't oudy really, it's more about sweet red woody notes. No idea why it's being compared to M7 which is far more ambery and complex. Too different scents IMO and both good.

    I like Creature the best so far. I'm going to test this and Lush's Dirty more so I can work out which of these two will fill my need for a bombastic minty scent. Maybe I'll end up with both - we'll see.

    Copper Skies I'm not sure about. It feels a bit heavy on the a spice or two which flattens the smell more than I'd like. Frustratingly it's also growing on me more than the others so who knows


    I hope you will try wearing them yourself yteek. I'd like to hear your impressions if you're able to thoroughly test the line.

  42. #42

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    I've tried and reviewed all of Kerosene's fragrances on my Youtube channel (bpwool). I do consider John(Kerosene) to be a friend, but I still believe I can be objective in reviewing his fragrances. I think John can hold his own with many other perfumers in the niche markets. I recently tested Kilian's Asian Tales line, and thought they were both overpriced and rather generic scents. As for Kerosene's fragracnes, R'oud Elements is a bitter orange incensey oud fragrance that I find to be slightly exotic, but more wearable than many other niche fragrances. Creature has a slightly harsh opening, but overall, much more interesting than Heeley's Menthe Fraiche. I'm not really into ambers, so Copper Skies was not something that excited me much. But it was nice to test an amber that had an american feel to it. Whips and Roses was alright. Kinda like a fresh garden smell. Probably the most unisex. Santalum Slivers is maybe the best sandalwood scent I've tried. I believe it is more exciting thatn Tam Dao. So those are some of my thoughts on Kerosene's fragrances

  43. #43

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    Wow, anyone else agree?
    ABSOLUTELY agree with Hep on that comment. Producing something better than Montale doesn't seem to be that hard to accomplish.

  44. #44

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by BradW View Post
    I think John can hold his own with many other perfumers in the niche markets.
    Creature has a slightly harsh opening, but overall, much more interesting than Heeley's Menthe Fraiche. Santalum Slivers is maybe the best sandalwood scent I've tried.
    Good summation BradW. His Santalum is one of my two favorites from his line. My skin reflects it back as a sort of woody leather.
    Good stuff.

  45. #45

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by SoGent View Post
    ABSOLUTELY agree with Hep on that comment. Producing something better than Montale doesn't seem to be that hard to accomplish.
    The first release beats Dark Aoud, Oud Cuir d'Arabie, and Red Aoud...sounds like a must own.

  46. #46
    Basenotes Plus
    PalmBeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    3,036

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Other than MIN, where can these be bought or tested?

  47. #47

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Kerosene: wrong name! This sounds not as a perfume house, but as a marketing joke...Diesel/Kerosene, Giorgio Armani/Bruno Banani?

  48. #48

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    If anybody likes Copper Skies, send me a PM.

  49. #49

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    I'm still reserving any judgement and will continue to do so until I've properly sampled them...

  50. #50

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    I've only tried R'oud Elements, and found it to be just mediocre. It did sit closer to the skin, lasted a while, and reminded me of Gucci Envy. I would love to try the rest of his line.

    As for PuddleMonkey attacking the OP, just ignore him, he is always negative.

  51. #51

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    As for PuddleMonkey attacking the OP, just ignore him, he is always negative.
    I'm not convinced Monkey Puddle was all that out of line.

  52. #52

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    How so? I'm free to have my doubts and opninions and if I question it and I'm skeptic...theres no problem with that.
    Just because my opinion doesn't fall on the same side of the argument doesn't warrant getting defensive.

    There is no reason to lash out against someone just because their viewpoint differs from yours.

    I have intrest in homade perfumery myself, maybe it'd be different if I were in the same position but in comparison to veteran perfumers who charge a similar price....I was questionable if it was up to par with such.

    Personally, it seemed rather highly priced for someone coming right out the starting gate...and hints why I asked for people's honest opinions...thanks to those who did so without making it an argument.

  53. #53

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    I bought R'Oud Elements when he was selling on Etsy and had 1.7 oz bottles. They were cheaper then. I really enjoy it and it lasts forever. I haven't tried the others but I think his prices fall in line with a lot of niche prices. Yes if you like the fragrances they are worth it.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

  54. #54

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by yteek View Post
    ...Personally, it seemed rather highly priced for someone coming right out the starting gate...and hints why I asked for people's honest opinions...thanks to those who did so without making it an argument.
    I agree, and again, Smell Bent is the obvious company to compare Kerosene to, AFAICT. If this person had something else to offer, other than a nice-looking bottle, I might have a different opinion. However, to some people $140 per bottle is something they don't even think twice about, so I think it's important to keep in mind that $140 does not mean the same thing to different people, whereas $35 means about the same to most people, when buying a frag.

  55. #55
    Dependent
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    3,652

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    I've only tried R'oud Elements, and found it to be just mediocre. It did sit closer to the skin, lasted a while, and reminded me of Gucci Envy. I would love to try the rest of his line.
    If this thing is between M7 and Envy now I definitely need to try it.

  56. #56
    Basenotes Junkie FullCollapse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Dallas, Tx.
    Posts
    676

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    R'oud Elements is well worth the price for me. Personally I think most of the positive reviews dont even do it justice. The Oud note is handled with the same skill as M7 and even some Montales(the softer ones). Longevity is exactly where it should be for the price tag...I can still smell it on my shirt thats been in the hamper that I wore close to a week ago; 8+ hrs. on my skin; Silliage is typical of an EDP, with a huge projection for a few hours and then a long lasting closer to the skin scent. The bottle is definitely not the quality of a Niche brand but still not bad. I got one of the ones with the engraved copper plate which was a nice touch. Its not an everyday scent for me and I dont mind paying that much since one bottle will probably last me for quite some time. Apparently samples are pretty reasonably priced and easy to get if you know where to go.

  57. #57

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    I'd like to see him upgrade the style of his bottles once his house becomes more well known.

  58. #58
    Basenotes Plus
    PalmBeach's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    3,036

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    I don't get what all the hubbub is about concerning his bottle. That is his shtick. Sort of a maverick. Killians bottle has been mentioned several times, what is the big deal about his bottle. Same darn one for every frag, just a different stick on label. To me, I am buying the juice, not the bottle. Look at MDCI, same juice, but if you want the head on it! $125.00 more, no thanks.

    To the OP, you won't know if you like it, until you try it. If you are not even willing to spend $10.00 for a few samples plus some others ($10.00 gets five samples from MIN) you may be interested in, then why all the negativity without being willing to even give it a chance.

  59. #59

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    I don't get what all the hubbub is about concerning his bottle. That is his shtick. Sort of a maverick. Killians bottle has been mentioned several times, what is the big deal about his bottle. Same darn one for every frag, just a different stick on label. To me, I am buying the juice, not the bottle. Look at MDCI, same juice, but if you want the head on it! $125.00 more, no thanks.

    To the OP, you won't know if you like it, until you try it. If you are not even willing to spend $10.00 for a few samples plus some others ($10.00 gets five samples from MIN) you may be interested in, then why all the negativity without being willing to even give it a chance.
    I know it's a part of the theme to his house, but I just don't care for it. Every bottle doesn't have to be super classy, but it looks a bit cheap and makes me curious if the juice is worth it since the presentation is less than desirable.

  60. #60

    Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

    Quote Originally Posted by Stew View Post
    I know it's a part of the theme to his house, but I just don't care for it. Every bottle doesn't have to be super classy, but it looks a bit cheap and makes me curious if the juice is worth it since the presentation is less than desirable.
    I fell the same way. Let the bottle represent the juice it holds in terms of class and sophistication.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 15th May 2012, 11:39 PM
  2. R'oud Elements by Kerosene
    By laph in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 1st April 2012, 05:46 AM
  3. Are There -- Be Honest -- Any Kenneth Cole Fragrances That Don't SUCK?
    By tvlampboy in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 24th October 2006, 07:38 AM
  4. Honest opinions on Creed Himalaya
    By Snake_Eater in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12th November 2005, 09:55 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000