Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Kerosene Fragrances, Honest Opinions?

I sort of get what you guys mean with the bottles. They look handmade, but I think thats what he is going. Seems like a ton of extra work and Im not sure many people really care enough to make the hand made look worth it. I would do a plain clear glass bottle with a professional looking crimped on atomizer, with the stamped metal name plate and matching metal cap. Maybe different metals for each frag- copper, silver looking etc.

Have you guys seen Andy Tauers "vintage" bottle? Totally amateur. Literally a 50ml bottle from bestbottles with a sticker on the front. The new ones are a huge improvement but I think the price of the frags are $50 more than they were when first released.

Went from this

to this
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

LOL Heperd, I think I recognize that table...
    ... And do me a favor - don't disturb my friend. He's dead tired.

Welcome to the Bwahahaha! era...

TUM TUM PISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in the 1% who prefers the old Tauer bottles. The blue bottles with the gaudy Tauer typeface and cube top looked bad the moment I saw the new design and I've still not warmed to it at all. The old bottles represent his style much more imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Postumo View Post
    LOL Heperd, I think I recognize that table...
    Sorry, I was too lazy to take a pic of the bottle so I just stole yours!
    I though "He will never see this." lol
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Basenotes Junkie

I haven't sampled any of his fragrances but I am determined to do so. I think it's great that he's doing what he's doing...and, technically, he is niche by definition, so what makes you think he should charge the same as the other "niche" guys out there? I say if you like the juice and think it's worthy of it's price tag then by all means go for it!! I really don't care about brand names, it's all about the fragrance and if I like it or not and am willing to pay the price to have it. I love mint so Creature sounds great to me.

And, as for the bottles- I think they are fantastic!!! I love them. They are different and unique and I love the look. I like the metal plate version better than the sticker but I would take either of them. In my opinion, the bottle makes the juice seem that much BETTER, not worse. There is an awesome craftsmanship to them and it's one that I would proudly display. They are far from pretentious and stuffy, and a lot edgier and modern, and that's what I like.

I'd love to know more about Creature if anyone has some added insight that they would like to share.

Just received my 5 pack of samples from MinNY, have to say, I'm impressed.

I wouldn't exactly call them refined, but they have a sort of raw appeal to them, like a local band you love to see perform.

I actually find something pleasing about each one of them, and really would have no problem paying the asking price, especially with a discount code.

I'd say Creature was one I was most looking forward to, but it kind of let me down, kind of a generic mint, harsh, smells a bit like listerine at first, calms down into a nice woody/citrus mint. Geranium Pour Monsieur's rougher brother.

Whips and Roses was another I was excited about, but gave a sort of a mild impression. It is a gentle rose at first, sort of like the one found in Rose Ikebana by Hermes, transparent in that way, also with the fruity aspect of the orange. The jasmin and leather come out a little after that and add some nice interplay.

Copper Skies is aptly named, smells like the amber you know and love with a metallic tinge. It's not super potent like some ambers, I could actually see myself enjoying it. The honeycomb and amber give it a somewhat mouthwatering feeling.

Santalum Slivers surprised me, might be because I haven't tried many citrus based sandalwood fragrances, but personally I would probably purchase this one first. It has the cucumber note I always wanted to enjoy but could never find, along with the tart grapefruit, lime, bergamot, and orange. Very nice!

R'Oud Elements seems like the crowd pleaser for sure. The oud is similar to that of Montale/Bond, not as strong though. I was ready to dismiss it, but it actually turned out very nice. I don't see too much similarity to M7 actually, honestly almost smells like a Comme des Garcons fragrance to me.

I actually think that with this house, the "indie" style works in it's favor. You're not going to get something super polished, but you will get something that will entertain. There are some great ideas here, and where some well-known fragrances might leave you bored, these might have that raw alternative that keeps it interesting. I feel that Whips and Roses is a more fun/interesting version of Rose Ikebana, I feel that Santalum Slivers has the cucumber note I wish Wall Street had, Copper Skies is almost edible if not for that metallic twist, Creature is exactly that, and R'Oud elements is waiting to please you.

Keep it up Kerosene! I can see great things coming.

Blog Entries

^ Nice reviews! Thanks, SSV!

Basenotes Plus

I have sampled all of kerosene's offering and love them all. I just recd Slivers in the mail today from Min and I will be purchasing the rest of his line next week. I think the juice is incredible...each evoking a very different vibe and sensation for me. Thats what I get...your mileage may differ. Obviously, only having 1 actually bottle I can only speak to that one and pictures of the others. I think they are raw, simplistic and minimalistic but that is the appeal. His fragrances are very earthy, bold and true so the bottles, to me, kind of convey that vibe. That down town villiage gritty feel that you get in Soho (NYC) with the smathering of fine art shops and luxorious lofts up top. This is what Kerosene conveys to me...I think he hit it right on the head. The juice is wicked nice.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by starshipvelcro View Post
    Just received my 5 pack of samples from MinNY, have to say, I'm impressed.

I wouldn't exactly call them refined, but they have a sort of raw appeal to them, like a local band you love to see perform.

I actually find something pleasing about each one of them, and really would have no problem paying the asking price, especially with a discount code.

I'd say Creature was one I was most looking forward to, but it kind of let me down, kind of a generic mint, harsh, smells a bit like listerine at first, calms down into a nice woody/citrus mint. Geranium Pour Monsieur's rougher brother.

Whips and Roses was another I was excited about, but gave a sort of a mild impression. It is a gentle rose at first, sort of like the one found in Rose Ikebana by Hermes, transparent in that way, also with the fruity aspect of the orange. The jasmin and leather come out a little after that and add some nice interplay.

Copper Skies is aptly named, smells like the amber you know and love with a metallic tinge. It's not super potent like some ambers, I could actually see myself enjoying it. The honeycomb and amber give it a somewhat mouthwatering feeling.

Santalum Slivers surprised me, might be because I haven't tried many citrus based sandalwood fragrances, but personally I would probably purchase this one first. It has the cucumber note I always wanted to enjoy but could never find, along with the tart grapefruit, lime, bergamot, and orange. Very nice!

R'Oud Elements seems like the crowd pleaser for sure. The oud is similar to that of Montale/Bond, not as strong though. I was ready to dismiss it, but it actually turned out very nice. I don't see too much similarity to M7 actually, honestly almost smells like a Comme des Garcons fragrance to me.

I actually think that with this house, the "indie" style works in it's favor. You're not going to get something super polished, but you will get something that will entertain. There are some great ideas here, and where some well-known fragrances might leave you bored, these might have that raw alternative that keeps it interesting. I feel that Whips and Roses is a more fun/interesting version of Rose Ikebana, I feel that Santalum Slivers has the cucumber note I wish Wall Street had, Copper Skies is almost edible if not for that metallic twist, Creature is exactly that, and R'Oud elements is waiting to please you.

Keep it up Kerosene! I can see great things coming.
    Dude...you hit it on the friggin head...nice review.
    I was born to shoot guns and smell good doin it!

Shane "The Bopper" Stagg

Basenotes Plus

I have R'Oud Elements. It goes on a tad strong, but does it ever settle down nicely. Not the in your face that Montale gives you. Lasts quite a long time.

The next one I will add to the collection will be Silvers.

I guess the house is legit.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I don't think $140 is "crazy," but rather that it is meant to convey exclusivity, and not based upon some sort of utilitarian formula. Smell Bent is much cheaper, and I think their quality is quite good, so $140 is too much, IMO, for a person like myself, who is in it only for the fragrance (not the bottle, nor any sense of being special because I wear niche frag X).
    Well here's how I feel. I agree, the idea of a perfumer newbie pricing his fragrance at anyting over $100 is quite presumtuous. At the same time, let's suppose he created something that you absolutely loved. Would $140 be too much? Probably not. I think what matters most is definetely the quality of the juice, but at the same time, right out the gate, without an established perfumer reputation behind him, I wouldn't expect that his fragrances be so pricey, even if they are darn good...

I just sampled these for the first time last night and here are my initial impressions:

Creature - spearmint and cut grass. If that combo sounds good to you, you'll like it. I'm not a spearmint fan.

Copper Skies - gingerbread. This is very gourmand. If you don't like your ambers to smell like food, pass on this one. If you do, by all means give it a whirl.

Whips and Roses - the crotch of a leather thong after having been worn by a woman who was wearing a rose fragrance. I'm not sure who would wear this one, but it is a provocative smell. It made me smile like the dirty straight boy I haven't been since high school. That's saying something anyway, but I would never buy this and I'm not sure what I would think if I smelled it on anyone else - male or female. It seems like a novelty fragrance to me; something fun to sample, rather than to actually wear.

R'Oud Elements - While it's not exactly like it, I do get the comparisons to M7. The oud note is handled in a similar fashion. This is the only one of the Kerosene fragrances I really liked, but I'll need to sample it a couple more times in order to decide whether or not it's FBW for me. I'm not sure that it's distinctive enough for me to need to add it to my, already large, wardrobe. I do think that anybody who is a huge fan of M7 should give this one a try, though. It's one of those "Oh, it's like XXX but with higher quality ingredients" situations.

Santalum Slivers - Light citrus and sandalwood. I wasn't impressed with this one, but testing it along side these others, which are much more "in your face," may not have been fair to it. I'll try it again later, and if I have a change of heart about it, I'll post again.

I think it is ridiculous to give the perfumer more importance than the scent. You need to sample the perfume and decide if you like it or not. When you wear your scent people never see the bottle, perfumer, price e.t.c, they just decide if they like it or not. that should be the basis of any judgement, the 'juice' as they call it in the industry. Kerosene's work is doing its own talking from the results we have seen so far and the reception he is recieving.
    Some people will say that he has a 'loyalty' after being a successful reviewer in the youtube fragrance community. I do not agree with this sentiment and Kerosene's products have been given both positive and negative reviews within the fragrance community and have come out being liked by a lots of people.
    About the price, well he can put whatever price he feels like and it is up to you to take it. I think his bottles still need some work to evolve but this is just the beginning and we should give him slack
    Last edited by JackWest; 29th July 2012 at 06:32 PM. Reason: correction
    Havana by Aramis (1994)

I'm scrared of trying them because of how much he likes Hynotic Poison.

do you happen to know where in the uk kerosenes fragrances can be purchased or where to find them on line thanks x

Quote Originally Posted by jamiehammond View Post
    do you happen to know where in the uk kerosenes fragrances can be purchased or where to find them on line thanks x
    https://www.ausliebezumduft.de will ship to you

I find all the ones I own to project well and seem to be very good quality. My only gripe is the same issue I have with Slumberhouse... I wish there were 30ml or 50ml bottles available. I have trouble buying 100ml bottles when I doubt I'll ever use the entire thing.

Quote Originally Posted by taint it sweet View Post
    My only gripe is the same issue I have with Slumberhouse... I wish there were 30ml or 50ml bottles available. I have trouble buying 100ml bottles when I doubt I'll ever use the entire thing.
    But slumberhouse only has 50 and 30ml bottles!

now that you mention these two houses in the same breath, how would you rate their differences / similarities in style? I just discovered slumberhouse and am loving spending more time with their line... how does kerosenes compare or how is it different (for those who know both)?

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Want to bump this thread. Seems he has added some and removed some. Anyone tried the Unknown Pleasures? Just got a sample of it and copper skies. Both I really enjoy.

A friend of mine got a sample of whips and roses. All i can say is seriously, how can someone use this as a fragrance for human consumption. I have not tried any others from kerosene, but W&R smells like the dumpster behind a florist after all the stems of roses have been rotting in the dumpster for a week. It's horrendous. My cat seems to enjoy it though.

Quote Originally Posted by jarroditshallbe View Post
    Want to bump this thread. Seems he has added some and removed some. Anyone tried the Unknown Pleasures? Just got a sample of it and copper skies. Both I really enjoy.
    Yes. Unknown Pleasures is nice - if you REALLY like sweet scents. This is one of the sweetest fragrances I have ever smelled.

I am really a fan of Kerosene. Copper Skies, Fields of Rubus, Roud Elements, and Wood Haven are my favorites. None of the Kerosene scents are over the top or bizarre - but they are all unique - and that alone is quite an accomplishment.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Blog Entries

I think that R'oud is one of the best oud fragrances out there - I prefer it to M7.

Overall, Kerosene is less challenging than Slumberhouse, but it's another line that pushes the envelope. Creature and Whips & Roses are two fragrances which fall WAY out of the mainstream. W&R is clearly an art scent - it's the olfactory equivalent of outrageous goth fashion, IMO. But several others - Copper Skies, Santalum Slivers, Wood Haven - these are well within the bounds of more typical artisan niche stuff.

Anybody tried Red Blanket yet? I'm looking forward to trying it the next time I come near a bottle.

Pretty Machine also got a nice review from Kevin at NST - I need to smell that one, too. Big linden fan here! http://www.nstperfume.com/2013/07/31...grance-review/

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I think that R'oud is one of the best oud fragrances out there - I prefer it to M7.
    I totally agree - but with a caveat (so, ok, maybe it's not a total agreement after all... lol!):

I LOVE the opening of M7 Oud Absolu.
    I love the final stage of vintage M7.
    ...but overall, I'd prefer R'oud Elements.

R'oud Elements seems to exist in-between the two M7 variants, yet it's airier than either. Airy-er? Er... it's great! If I didn't own M7 and M7 Oud Absolu, I'd probably be tempted to pick up R'oud Elements.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

R'Oud Elements is very good. I like Copper Skies as well, but the others I have from the line aren't nearly as good to me as those two.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Thanks guys, if I end up getting any more ill let you know.
    The unknown pleasures is completely different in fragrance that the connotation of name might imply. The smell is almost like a lemon cream pie, or a yogurt. Yes, very sweet, but delisciously so. May not even think it was a fragrance to be worn if you passed by it, Maybe. Just a chef who made fancy desserts.