Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Notes/Ingredients you have issues with...

I currently have issues with Vetiver, Iso E-super and Galbanum.

Vetiver and Iso are kinda the same issue, in that a) I'm sick of the two being used a synonyms by perfumers or the fact that some perfumers seem incapable of using one without using the other (this is especially prevalent among higher end designer frags and niches) and b) I sometimes find myself anosmic to both of them. I'm not talking about the mild anosmia caused by the fact that Iso is a large molecule which wears off after a while, I mean total anosmia for weeks at a time.

My issues with these two ingredients have made it next to impossible for me to enjoy two of my favourite perfumes, Terre d'Hermes and Encre Noire. To be fair I had this problem with EN from the start, most of the time it just smelt incredibly faintly of pencil shavings on me. Weirdly in the case of EN it seems that other people can't smell it on me either.

My issue with Galbanum is different, it's that I seem to have an odd sensory reaction to it. My nose detects it as having a very faint garlic-like or alium-esque character. Depending on the composition this can either be a sharp, nose tingling initial reaction which passes after time or it can be a lingering background which spoils the overall effect of the perfume for me and seems to crowd out other notes. Right now I'm testing a sample of Lyric Man which contains Galbanum as a heart note, and I can tell there's much more going on and keep getting the odd whiff of the real composition which is GORGEOUS but the weird Galbanum/Garlic thing keeps sneaking up towards the end of the olfactory experience and seems to prevent me from enjoying the full effect of this frag.

The overall effect of this Galbanum weirdness is that Lyric smells more like expensive herbal tea to me rather than the lush intense Rose/Sandalwood symphony it's billed as.

Am I alone in having these peculiar problems with certain notes? If not what are your note issues? And can anyone shed any light on mine? LOL
    Last edited by Hilaire; 19th June 2012 at 04:51 PM.

Default Re: Notes/Ingredients you have issues with...

Perhaps some of the sweeter smelling flower (floral) ingredients used in fragrances are hard for me to wear.

I'm having issues with vetiver too. Can't wear any fragrance that contains it as a dominant note, I tolerate it when used in small doses.

Hopefully the chemists will weigh in and those with more in-depth knowledge but these days if I see 'Cedar', or even 'Wood', mentioned I back off. I don't know if it's just a particular 'cedar/wood' note, perhaps in combination with Iso E, or the dreaded 'screechy woody amber', but I just read it as a bad varnish job on cheap plywood and it seems to be common in a lot of stuff these days. If anyone else can put their finger on the common thread running thru Straight to Heaven, L'Homme Sage and Ormonde Jayne Man then you know it - and these are basenotes darlings so I suspect it's just something I am very sensitive to. I also find it in lower doses in some of the 'sandalwood' blends out there, but usually at a much lower level - not immediately apparent but emerging in the mid to latter stages. I am aware of what Iso E smells like and it's not that in isolation (just a bit boring and relentless) altho perhaps it's often used in combination with a 'cedar/wood' to round it out - dunno.

Calone is the other one - I can smell it from across the room, it just wipes out anything it's in - altho I wonder if hedione is also at play with this one. It's like chewing tin foil for me.

That said, no big deal - I just avoid stuff with these in them.
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 20th June 2012 at 09:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lucasai View Post
    I'm having issues with vetiver too. Can't wear any fragrance that contains it as a dominant note, I tolerate it when used in small doses.

Do you ever get a weird perfumey taste from Vetiver which really persists in the mouth? I know that sounds vague and weird but that happens to me with it sometimes... :P

Oh yes vetiver, turns into Bog Body on my skin
    Neroli just gets stronger and stronger and stronger
    Saffron just plain horrid.
    DONNA

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Hopefully the chemists will weigh in and those with more in-depth knowledge but these days if I see 'Cedar', or even 'Wood', mentioned I back off. I don't if it's just a particular 'cedar/wood' note, perhaps in combination with Iso E, or the dreaded 'screechy woody amber', but I just read it as a bad varnish job on cheap plywood and it seems to be common in a lot of stuff these days. If anyone else can put their finger on the common thread running thru Straight to Heaven, L'Homme Sage and Ormonde Jayne Man then you know it - and these are basenotes darlings so I suspect it's just something I am very sensitive to. I also find it in lower doses in some of the 'sandalwood' blends out there, but usually at a much lower level - not immediately apparent but emerging in the mid to latter stages. I am aware of what Iso E smells like and it's not that, altho perhaps it's often used in combination with a 'cedar/wood' to round it out - dunno.

Calone is the other one - I can smell it from across the room, it just wipes out anything it's in - altho I wonder if hedione is also at play with this one. It's like chewing tin foil for me.

That said, no big deal - I just avoid stuff with these in them.

I think the Helional and Hedione in Angel make it one of the most intense olfactory experiences, I think that's what makes it hard for me to bear Angel for long periods of time.

Banned

I've yet to find the beauty in "oud". Black Aoud is wonderful but for me the oud-explosion that followed is just a hype. BA is its masterpiece and completely sufficient.

Orange/Mandarin Aldehydes.

Immortelle is a love/hate ingredient for me. In just the right dosage, it turns something that could have been pedestrian into magic. Witness Li Altarelli by Stephanie de Saint-Aignan, for instance. But then it can also be the bad fairy at the wedding, turning magic into maple syrup.

Lately I've been sampling Pohadka by Ys Uzac. I agree with Luckyscent's description of it as a "sheer" tobacco scent and enjoy that quality. But the immortelle factor is right at the tipping point and that makes it difficult to completely fall in love.

I think we all have our hypersensitivies or anosmias - they just differ from person to person.

Smelled side by side with Sycomore, I do find Encre Noire a little too synthetic, but I don't have particular issues with iso-e or vetiver per se. And I love galbanum-in fact many of my preferred perfumes contain it (I love green chypres, for instance). What's your reaction to Cristalle?

My hypersensitivity (as for reasonable) seems to be "marine", calone or otherwise. To my nose, it goes directly to swamp, decaying shellfish, brackish water. Perhaps my coast dwelling ancestors had to develop a sensitive sense of smell to avoid eating fish past its prime. I seem to be sensitive to "swampy" florals as well (Eden, Love in white, Bas de soie) - perhaps it's a similar molecule.

cacio

Certain gourmands, florals and spices (particularly cumin), but then again all the three categories also include fragrance notes I actually like.

Tar
    Strawberry
    Raspberry

Tar
    Also something in Eau Des Baux comes off smelling like band-aids to me... anyone know what this is???
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I think we all have our hypersensitivies or anosmias - they just differ from person to person.

Smelled side by side with Sycomore, I do find Encre Noire a little too synthetic, but I don't have particular issues with iso-e or vetiver per se. And I love galbanum-in fact many of my preferred perfumes contain it (I love green chypres, for instance). What's your reaction to Cristalle?

My hypersensitivity (as for reasonable) seems to be "marine", calone or otherwise. To my nose, it goes directly to swamp, decaying shellfish, brackish water. Perhaps my coast dwelling ancestors had to develop a sensitive sense of smell to avoid eating fish past its prime. I seem to be sensitive to "swampy" florals as well (Eden, Love in white, Bas de soie) - perhaps it's a similar molecule.

cacio

I actually find Sycomore really hard to smell too, I think I dismissed it in review as smelling like Terre d'Hermes EdT after having spent some time on the wing of a biplane. So maybe it's Vetiver I'm more anosmic too.

It's odd because the Galbanum thing is very recent. I've worn Cristalle for years without this problem at all (though in truth on me it smells more of Hycinth, Bergamot and Lemon than anything else, I've never noticed a prominent Galbanum note in it), but recently it's been provoking this Garlic sensation.

Tuberose, Rose, Oud, and sometimes Civet.

I'm sure there are others but I haven't learned to distinguish them yet.

I'm not much for vetiver. I smelled Chanel Sycomore in NYC last week and I did not care for it. Someone on my flight back home had on way too much Guerlain Vetiver and it about gagged me for two hours.

So, no vetiver. Also Tonka gets on my nerves some times.

Quote Originally Posted by eggy View Post
    something in Eau Des Baux comes off smelling like band-aids to me... anyone know what this is???
    I think it's the incense. Or maybe the combo of incense/cypress/vanilla? I don't know... but I do know what you mean. It doesn't smell like that to me, but the incense is too much for me, and that's a shame since, otherwise, I adore Eau des Baux.

I'm quickly figuring out that Vetiver is something I can't wear. Terre d'Hermes smells like bug spray on me. I'm only wearing 1 spray (of the EdT) today, but oof, it doesn't work on me.

Quote Originally Posted by swix View Post
    I think it's the incense. Or maybe the combo of incense/cypress/vanilla? I don't know... but I do know what you mean. It doesn't smell like that to me, but the incense is too much for me, and that's a shame since, otherwise, I adore Eau des Baux.

I'm quickly figuring out that Vetiver is something I can't wear. Terre d'Hermes smells like bug spray on me. I'm only wearing 1 spray (of the EdT) today, but oof, it doesn't work on me.
    I don't think it's the incense because I have CdG 2 man on right now and it smells nice and creamy. Maybe it's the combination that you mentioned... I don't think I have tested any other frags that have the cypress note in them, so that might be the culprit.
    I'm liquidating my collection to help fund my site. Please show your support for the FPindex and buy buy buy - Tuscan Leather, Egoiste, Costume National 21, etc!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/302...**-Come-on-in-)

Founder of the Fragrance Potency Index (FPindex)
    Providing real data on fragrance projection and sillage! Check it out
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/FPIndex
    Facebook: [utl]http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Fragrance-Potency-Index/422023624539612[/url]

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

IMMORTELLE ... eeeeeeeew!
    Smells like straight up curry.
    Should be forbidden by law!

Immortelle used in the wrong way - I LOVE it in Chypre Rouge, I hate it in Fareb (curry skin)
    Cloves - the only two fragrances I have enjoyed thoroughly with this inclusion - Stephen Jones and Iris Silver Mist. If it is cold and medicinal then fantastic, warm like baking goods and it's a major no-go.
    Aquatic Citrus unless something bewildering follows - which never happens.
    And everything by The Different Company

duplicate post

Synthetic musk can be awful. It behaves differently in different fragrances, can go from sour to metallic.

I like vetiver, but I experience wearability issues with it. I love the smell of Sycomore, but when blended with my body chemistry, especially at the end of the day, I just smell like a sour barbecue grill. Shame, as it smells great going on.

Any kind of curry spices (cumin, etc.) I imagine that anyone who actually enjoys smelling like a desi grocery...has probably never shopped in a desi grocery, and really needs to get out more; then they'd realize that the smell, while not unpleasant, isn't something they should pay good money to smell like. Sorry. (for the record, curry is one of my favorite foods, but that doesn't mean I want to smell like my dinner)

Immortelle. Like an Indian buffet that serves pancakes in the morning. I don't think I'd even enjoy smelling this smell on the actual flower, let alone as a perfume note. Smells inherently stale to me.

Coconut. This one is purely cultural, as the smell is pleasant in and of itself. I will forever associate this note with car air fresheners that hang from rearview mirrors and cheap incense sold at craft fairs by people with dreadlocks who are not Rastafarians. Cheap and tawdry.

Yeah, I guess you call these 'issues'.

Neroli and Orange Blossoms get horrifying on my skin. There are VERY few fragrances cointaining these notes that I can actually stand.

I'm also developing a strong adversion to certain types of woody amber. I'm absolutely fine with it when it's not overdone but, fragrances such as Buxton's Wood & Absynth, Zizan by Ormonde Jayne or Paco Rabanne's most of the latest deliveries, destroy my nose.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Not sure what the note/s is/are exactly, but there seems to be certain kind of sweetness in some newer perfumes that makes me feel like eating, which I find it rather annoying. E.g. in Bogart's Arabian/Riviera Nights, Breath of God.

Also I don't like the cedar/woody note you can get in some (often cheaper) fragrances, who can turn a bit nasty if smelled up close.

Else I'm slightly struggling with opopanax, though it could grow on me, I think. I enjoyed it more in Tonatto's Dama than in Lagerfeld Classic. Also I'm fairly certain it's in other perfumes that I enjoy, just not as dominant as in these 2.

This may be the problem for some of us: "Chemists will also argue that aldehydes have the effect of stimulating what is known as the trigeminal nerve..." See the end note for page 64 of "The Secret of Chanel No. 5" for source.

Blog Entries

Vetiver. Fragrances with dominant Vetiver note like Sycomore and Encre Noir just don't agree with my skin.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

Datura (Flower), I almost faint from serious dizziness after I walk near it.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

Vetiver is really pulling ahead in the issues stakes. I wonder why? It contains relatively high levels of Benzoic acid, which occurs naturally in lots of things, and is used as a food preservative. Benzoic acid is dangerous to humans at high levels but it is also used medicinally as an anti-fungal and antiseptic. It also contains Turpenen-4-ol which is the primary active ingredient of Tea Tree oil and is highly concentrated in Nutmeg oil. Nutmeg is toxic if consumed in large enough quantities (though whether or not that's down to Turpenen-4-ol I have no idea). It also has a bunch of sesquiterpenes too.

I wonder if to any degree the chemical characteristics of Vetiver (rather than mere taste issues) are at play? Perhaps some people have stronger reactions to one or other or some combination of Vetiver's chemical components.

Edit: Nutmeg's toxicity seems to be because it contains a chemical called Myristicin which as far as I can tell does not occur in Vetiver, which would suggest that any other chemical similarities between the two are not responsible for some people finding Vetiver unpleasant.

Overly powdery scents make my throat kinda choke, and I am really not a fan of violet leaf as a predominant note.

I have a strong issue with patchouli: I think it is called 'love'!...(and I am not too fond of several kinds of woods, especially cedar).

Tuberose bothers me a fair amount. Perhaps someday I will find one that I like, but not so far.

I don't like most berry notes in fragrance. I love berries, but usually berry notes smell austere to me. I think the exception for me thus far is the raspberry in a couple of the Tom Fords - has a desserty vibe to it that appeals to me.

The modern rendition of "woods" is something I cannot take. Example: base notes in Ferragamo's Attimo and its base notes of vetiver, musk, french labdanum and patchouli just does not feel at all as being composed by these raw materials. IMO, perfumists want to convey these notes with arochemicals that end up feeling punchy to the nose, as needles sticking into it together with dirty undertones. After hours it makes me feel that I need a shower, urgently.

Aldehydes. Just can't take them, in Chanel N° 5 or any other classic, for the same reasons as stated before.

Fruit accords and notes. They just don't feel natural at all.

Powdery notes
    vanilla
    synthetic smelling woods
    synthetic smelling fruits
    The misuse of calone
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Basenotes Plus

I think we develop sensitivities or hyperosmia over time. But I also believe a penchant for analysing notes or tracking their development has something to do with this.

I never had an issue with immortelle until about a year ago. Now as soon as I detect 'immortelle' it stays in the centerstage and overwhelms the rest of the fragrance. And I seem to have similar issues with cedar/synthetic woods.

I've thus given fragrance reviewing a break and simply try to enjoy my fragrance company.

Basenotes Plus

I will try to balance out the Vetiver- shy by saying that Vetiver is magic on my skin.

The notes that really turn badly on my skin are milky notes including milk chocolate (but cocoa powder note is OK), so-called strawberry, overly sweet vanillas, sweaty cumin
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

don't like Myrtle..

Lavender is really tricky on my skin...Jicky=beautiful, Caron PH=cat piss. Galbanum and calone are similar. It seems to depend on what they are mixed with. I don't know what they put in Allure PH, but it is serious cat piss on my skin.

Quote Originally Posted by JDBIII View Post
    Lavender is really tricky on my skin...Jicky=beautiful, Caron PH=cat piss. Galbanum and calone are similar. It seems to depend on what they are mixed with. I don't know what they put in Allure PH, but it is serious cat piss on my skin.
    Yeah Lavender and Calone are hit and miss on me too. Lavender can turn into nasty burnt plastic hell as it does in Serge Lutens' Gris Clair on my skin, or it can be gorgeous and medicinal as it is in Chanel's Jersey. Calone sometimes smells like Borax flux on me LOL

Tonka and/or vanilla. Cloying in le Male, Original Santal and many Others. Also heavily a incorporated in a lot of cheap teenage designer frags where sillage beats quality. Why do kids wear so heavy scents? I wore only quiet ones like polo green and Aramis Havana ;-) BTW is benzoin similar to tonka? Otherwise wich ingredient gives off that vanilla on petrol with brunt rubber and play doh-clay? Hopefully I won't ever get tired of vetiver!

Quote Originally Posted by Tobbe View Post
    Tonka and/or vanilla. Cloying in le Male, Original Santal and many Others. Also heavily a incorporated in a lot of cheap teenage designer frags where sillage beats quality. Why do kids wear so heavy scents? I wore only quiet ones like polo green and Aramis Havana ;-) BTW is benzoin similar to tonka? Otherwise wich ingredient gives off that vanilla on petrol with brunt rubber and play doh-clay? Hopefully I won't ever get tired of vetiver!

Hmmm, Tonka isn't a lot like Benzoin, Tonka has a lot of Coumarin in it and is rich and heavy and does share some characteristics with Vanilla and Cacao and things of that nature while Benzoin is more woody, dry resinous, raspy and medicinal. I suppose the two together might give you the kind of effect you're talking about though...

Tuberose
    Calone
    Overly sweet floral notes in some female fragrances...

[QUOTE Otherwise wich ingredient gives off that vanilla on petrol with brunt rubber and play doh-clay? Hopefully I won't ever get tired of vetiver![/QUOTE]

I wonder if you are referring to heliotropin/piperonal?

Calone, the really popular synthetic cedar, and something in Grey Flannel give me problems.

I just hate the synthetic Cedar, and it always overpowers all the other notes in a composition to me, eventually making me anosmic. It's extremely popular in designer fragrances. Calone is the same story - it overpowers everything else and it's all I can smell.

Grey Flannel, on the other hand, actually makes my sinuses fill with mucus. Which is a shame, because I like it a lot. I've replaced it in my wardrobe with Gucci Envy.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

Aldehydes, like those in Chanel No 5 or Bois des Iles, smell like a cross between a dirty restroom and rotting flowers to me.

All of Ulrich Lang's releases share a similar sweet/synthetic note that, for me, ruins whatever merit they might have. It's been awhile since I've worn or sampled any of them, but I remember it was weakest in Nightscape. Odin 03 Century similarly has something strange in it, but I haven't run across that note anywhere else.

I can't stand calone at all.
    Also, for some reason, when violet leaves are prominent in a formulation of any kind, from a Calvin Klein to a Creed, it really bothers me. Sometimes I get a headache, especially from the cheaper ones, but even in the very high-quality uses of violet I just can't bring myself to use it. It's a shame, too, there are lots of good fragrances out there that utilize violet. I've always wanted to be a Green Irish Tweed fan, but it just isn't for me.
    Body Kouros, Fahrenheit and other designer bottles for trade in My Swap Thread

Banned
    Blog Entries

vodka note - any frag that has this instantly goes in the trash

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    vodka note - any frag that has this instantly goes in the trash
    Have you ever tried De Bachmakov? I think it would change your mind.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

[QUOTE=Pollux;2601698]The modern rendition of "woods" is something I cannot take. Example: base notes in Ferragamo's Attimo and its base notes of vetiver, musk, french labdanum and patchouli just does not feel at all as being composed by these raw materials. IMO, perfumists want to convey these notes with arochemicals that end up feeling punchy to the nose, as needles sticking into it together with dirty undertones. After hours it makes me feel that I need a shower, urgently.

This is exactly that nasty, all-pervasive, cowardly "woodsy musk" or "blonde woods" drydown that I am finding in everything new and mainstream. If the people who like these frags ever smelled a real animalic base with real wood notes they would keel over and be traumatized thereafter.

Rose, Vanilla and Angelica for starters. Musk, amber, labdanum or any other note which turns a frag into powdery nightmare on my skin. Also many synthetics especially lemon, but I love natural lemon.

I hate iris 95% of the time. No matter what amount, I sure have no problem in detecting it, expanding its plasticky, powdery, cold influence on the whole composition.
    Kurt smells like Teen Spirit

This is a great topic. I’m a bit off in context as I don’t know what notes cause me grief but I know that Creed GIT, Creed Himalaya, Creed MI, Davidoff Adventure, Azzaro Pour Homme, and Muglers B-men cause me some weird metallic taste / allergy thing. Its like my taste buds go “off”. I'm okay with Creed SMW, Davidoff Cool Water + flankers, other Azzaro products, and Muglers A-men / Pure Shot. Never figured out the allergy note but it sure is annoying. I wish I could try wear GIT but it's impossible, a couple minutes in and my tongue kinda swells and I taste “metal”. The upside is it save me a few hundred bucks...to buy other stuff.

I don't care for mimose or a heavy churchy incense. Cinnamon is also another note that I can only handle so much of. Iso E Super comes off really peppery sometimes. Other times I can't smell it at all.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I too, vetiver. It overwhelms my nose. I tried vetiver extroardinaire and saw my entire life flash before my eyes. I thought the angel of death was behind me.

Haha The above post is so funny!

Anyway, Yes, vetiver usually ruins a good perfume for me. Especially it is a top note, as it practically screams bloody murder on my skin all the way to the die down.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilaire View Post

My issue with Galbanum is different, it's that I seem to have an odd sensory reaction to it. My nose detects it as having a very faint garlic-like or alium-esque character. Depending on the composition this can either be a sharp, nose tingling initial reaction which passes after time or it can be a lingering background which spoils the overall effect of the perfume for me and seems to crowd out other notes.
    Yes, I' ve had similar experiences with galbanum. Eg in Vol de nuit parfum where galbanum is very prominent. VdN is very linear and I can smell allium all the way. There must be sulphur in galbanum - I guess that explains the allium-like note.

Quote Originally Posted by Otto-Magnus af Zellie View Post
    Yes, I' ve had similar experiences with galbanum. Eg in Vol de nuit parfum where galbanum is very prominent. VdN is very linear and I can smell allium all the way. There must be sulphur in galbanum - I guess that explains the allium-like note.

Thank you! So I'm not the only one! Btw Wikipedia confirms your surmise about Sulfur, which might go a long way towards explaining this odd phenomenon.

There is a note in MFK's APOM which is almost headache inducing. I don't know what it is, but I hate it.

Jasmine, most definitely (but of course it not going to be real Jasmine absolute is it? Its all synthetics these days).

Marine notes, Sea smell (I'm not going to single out Calone, in small doses it smells OK).

Hamster Cage Cedar

Tar (yes that A*Men tar is not enjoyable)

Metallic Notes (someone mentioned that some synthetic musks can go metallic for them, I agree and when this happens it just ruins a frag for me. The One for Men, Lacoste PH and Mont Blanc Presence all do this, and B*Men does if I overapply it).

There is a pattern here. These are all notes from synthetics. Since natural scents tend to be complex blends of tens and sometimes hundreds of components, they combine to be a scent fingerprint that almost everyone will smell the same way. Its not surprising that a single synthetic can smell wildly different to different people.