Code of Conduct

Default Habit Rouge L'Extrait

This one seems very intriguing, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on it. How does this compare to the EDT/EDP and is it worth the coin?

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Habit Rouge L'Extrait

More info here:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/246...ed-this-autumn
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/224...does-that-mean
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/221...launch-in-2009

I own it and the EdT (vintage) and EdP and love all three.

The parfum is not 'stronger' - what I mean is the sillage/projection is not more, however the longevity is very high. It bypasses the citric/fresh top notes and instead zooms right into the middle / base notes of woods, resins, vanilla, etc. That unique dusty aspect of the original scent is amplified in the extrait, so that the wearer is enveloped in a silky, soft, plush texture from beginning to end. I wear it very seldom in Summer / Spring preferring it in cooler weather, but that's just me. I also have realized that it wears a tiny bit different, depending upon whether it's dabbed on or sprayed on. I enjoy both applications.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: No. 5 L'Eau by Chanel

I do own a decant which I got for a good price. Otherwise I wouldn't have paid that high price. It is recognizable as Habit Rouge, however it has a more modern feel. It is definitely different and definitely very good. I think the EdP goes in that direction - more modern, less neroli... If believe to remember (haven't worn it for a while) that the extrait has a beautiful iris note, I think in the base there is some vetiver, but not sure. I thought is was a bit less leathery than the original. But the leatheryness of habit rouge in general seems to depend very much on the weather and my mood.
    So to sum up - very good scent. But you should try and decide whether it is worth the extra money. impossible to answer that question for someone else.

Still haven't gotten around to sampling this one, I should! Does it go in the same stodgy syrupy wood texture as the EDP with the Oud?
    Or is it more akin to the classic EDT/EDC?

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    Still haven't gotten around to sampling this one, I should! Does it go in the same stodgy syrupy wood texture as the EDP with the Oud?
    Or is it more akin to the classic EDT/EDC?
    It's definitely in the same mould as the EdP. I find it too much, personally.

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    It's definitely in the same mould as the EdP. I find it too much, personally.
    So it's stodgy with that grim leathery oud note?

Basenotes Institution

I know what you mean Duke, but to me the L'Extrait is not as 'grim' as the EdP. It's a bit fuller and richer. And I don't really smell the oud in the L'Extrait - instead its more resinous and vanilla-rich.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I know what you mean Duke, but to me the L'Extrait is not as 'grim' as the EdP. It's a bit fuller and richer. And I don't really smell the oud in the L'Extrait - instead its more resinous and vanilla-rich.
    Excellent, so it's basically a super amped up version of the EDT?, as opposed to the EDP which essentially (in my opinion) a different fragrance.

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

Also own it and it seems to last forever.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Also own it and it seems to last forever.
    How would you compare it to the EDP?

Reside in McLean, NYC, Manuel Antonio & Búzios

How would you compare it to the EDP?
    I would pretty much characterize it in the same way as saminlondon would - "in the same mold as the EDP" only to the nth degree.
    Last edited by hednic; 26th October 2014 at 11:03 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Excellent, so it's basically a super amped up version of the EDT?, as opposed to the EDP which essentially (in my opinion) a different fragrance.
    It's as different from the EdT as is the EdP. There's plenty of powdery, spicy styrax and resins, but not much in the way of bright citrus. You might struggle to recognise it.

OK, the only way is to test it then. I'll need to get hold of a sample, would be interesting though to hear how it's better than than the EDP though from somebody who doesn't like the EDP, but like the Extrait.

Quite surprised that's there's no reviews in the review section, nor much on-line elsewhere.

I did come across this though and it sounds fantastic!

HABIT ROUGE L'EXTRAIT

Many adhere to the original EdC formula as the Habit Rouge paragon because of its delicate blend of orange cologne and soft balms, and it was available right up to 2007. The now indispensable Eau de Toilette version, altogether more rugged and musky, was made in 1988 to meet the eighties' demand for more powerful scents — a trend which also gave birth to Eau de Parfum (or, in Guerlain's terms, Parfum de Toilette) versions of Shalimar, Jicky, Mitsouko, L'Heure Bleue and Chamade in 1986-1987. Habit Rouge was itself reinvented as Eau de Parfum in 2003, having the swank orange blossom toned down and a golden, full agarwood note woven smoothly into the oriental base. Though being the unmistakable scent of Habit Rouge, it was more a reformulation than a mere concentrated variant: extra formal, firmly woody and suave.

Even more so was the Parfum edition — a novel category in men's perfumery and at first only a one-off 2008 production — which added a completely new and reworked identity to Habit Rouge as dark and serious. It featured semi-gourmand levels of orange essences and benzoin, a modern cedarwood backbone and a rich, cashmere-fine patchouli with earthy facets of bitter chocolate, coffee and camphor, amplifying the part of Habit Rouge that always reminded you more of Vol de Nuit than of Shalimar. Despite its luxurious price, it fared well enough to be granted tenure.
    Last edited by Duke Hunt; 26th October 2014 at 11:13 PM.

Great Throbbing Member

I think the Extrait only appeared in the directory relatively recently. Personally, this is my favourite incarnation of HR. It is more restrained than both the EdP and EdT, meaning the top notes are more subdued and it lacks the 'pink cloud' effect of those two. It wears closer to the skin but longevity is very good (on me). It's very rich-smelling, not as powdery, the ambergris is more to the fore. I don't get the oud note.
    It's recognisable but different. I would sample it first due to £, especially if you dislike any formulation of HR.

The Extrait is also my favourite Habit Rouge. My understanding has been that it features a very prominent (warm) styrax heart. It is a very envelopping perfume with nice sillage and plenty longevity.

Basenotes Institution

No I wouldn't say that. It's sort of the middle & base notes of the EdT "amped up" and given longevity and richness. It has NONE of the citrus tart freshness of the EdT. I also think it smells less "powdery"...but maybe because my nose interprets styrax as not so powdery as say...opopanax.

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    No I wouldn't say that. It's sort of the middle & base notes of the EdT "amped up" and given longevity and richness. It has NONE of the citrus tart freshness of the EdT. I also think it smells less "powdery"...but maybe because my nose interprets styrax as not so powdery as say...opopanax.
    I definitely need to find a sample at this point.

The citrus top is my least-favorite part of Habit Rouge. I am very interested. . .

Great Throbbing Member

Wearing this again today, I would say the leather note is more obvious than in the other formulations (except the aftershave).

Still haven't manged to find a sample

I may have to just blind buy this. Will the Guerlain boutique in Paris accept a credit card over the phone?

The best of the HR variants, with the EdP coming in a close second for me. I don't get the oud note in the extrait, if it has one at all.

I wonder if this is available at Harrods or Fortnum & Mason in London?