Code of Conduct

Default Pricing A 'Vintage' Perfume: Chanel Antaeus

Hello,

I have been seeking a vintage bottle of Chanel Antaeus, and found a chap with a used 50ml bottle (ostensibly with 95% of the juice remaining), claiming a reasonable purchase price would be $140.

I am not an expert on pricing vintage perfume, or pre-reformulation perfume. I am aware these perfumes are less widely available and it is expected they will more expensive to purchsase. However I am not sure if this asking price is reasonable or not.

If someone can assist me, it would be greatly appreciated!

Warm Regards,

Mike

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Pricing A 'Vintage' Perfume: Chanel Antaeus

If I love Chanel Antaeus and looking to buy a vintage for personal use rather than profit from its future sale, & can assess with reasonable certainty that it is in fact a vintage from the 1980s, I'd say $140 for 95% full is an amount I feel comfortable parting with. But do ask about its history and storage condition, and request a moneyback guarantee if you find something seriously questionable about its vintage or quality.

In the mean time, check out those garage/yard sales. You never know what you might find!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    If I love Chanel Antaeus and looking to buy a vintage for personal use rather than profit from its future sale, & can assess with reasonable certainty that it is in fact a vintage from the 1980s, I'd say $140 for 95% full is an amount I feel comfortable parting with. But do ask about its history and storage condition, and request a moneyback guarantee if you find something seriously questionable about its vintage or quality.
    Sound advice

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post

In the mean time, check out those garage/yard sales. You never know what you might find!
    Agreed. $140.00 is an acceptable price. Keep in mind there is always a risk with vintage juices of the fragrance being spoiled. I bought Patou Pour Homme four times before finding a 'perfect' bottle with the top notes still intact.

Antaeus comes in extermely dark bottles which are the best way to preserve the juice. Look for a spray bottle and you are good to go, even without a box.

The most I spent on an full bottle of vintage Antaeus was £77 and it was well worth it! You can get them for even less and I bought a 50ml bottle of the vintage juice for £23 once and bizarrely sold the EMPTY bottle to a chap in Switzerland for £24!! Very odd.

So, Mike84, where are buying this bottle from, out of curiosity?

Diamond, do you know if the 200ml splash bottles with the code 080 in the back are vintage? 80's or 90's ? thank you sir.

I'd only spend that kind of money if I had a chance to sample it. In any case, with vintage, there is a time/effort versus money issue. That is, you can wait and do a lot of searching around, but then ask yourself if it is worth your time and effort, which could stretch out over months if not more than a year! This is what many people who bemoan vintage prices don't seem to take into consideration. If you enjoy the "vintage hunt," then it probably pays to wait, but if you just want something specific within a week's time, you go for the "high" prices, though as I said, you want to make sure it is the "real deal," especially with splash bottles.

Are the splash bottles especially the 200ml vintage? code 080 in the back.

Quote Originally Posted by odraudeduardo View Post
    Are the splash bottles especially the 200ml vintage? code 080 in the back.
    The 200ml splash EDT bottles are vintage. I have such a bottle myself and it is rich and sonorous :-) You can also verify vintage bottles by seeing where the words 'eau de toilette' are.

If they're above the name 'Chanel' then it's a vintage bottle. If they're not on the front at all, it's an even earlier vintage. If they're below the name 'Chanel' then it's post 1995 re-formulation and not 'vintage'.
    Last edited by ssg; 12th August 2014 at 12:17 PM.