Code of Conduct

Default Article: Yves Saint Laurent to become 'Saint Laurent' under Hedi Slimane

Default Re: Article: Yves Saint Laurent to become 'Saint Laurent' under Hedi Slimane

An absolute disgrace

Post Thanks / Like

I couldn't care less about the name change, but I think putting Slimane in charge is the best thing they could have done. He did wonders with the Dior Homme collections, ads and fragrances. Can't wait to see what materializes out of this.

Post Thanks / Like

What a pointless thing to do! They are taking away part of a major icon in fashion

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

That is just wrong .
    I see they are taking a leaf out of Christian Dior's books by dropping the Yves as Dior did with the 'Christian' .
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 21st June 2012 at 02:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Very disappointed - but not surprising after L'Oreal butchered the entire line of fragrances. Just another swing of the axe on that once glorious tree.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Article: Yves Saint Laurent to become 'Saint Laurent' under Hedi Slimane

How many acts of affront can they make against the memory of their founder / creator ? First Opium and now his name. It makes me have even more respect for Chanel where they do not forget Gabrielle Bonheur Chanel but celebrate her instead .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Post Thanks / Like

Hedi Slimane is a genius -- I really don't care about the name, YSL could use a fresh start.

Post Thanks / Like

Stupid. Like changing "Betty Crocker" to "Crocker". Dumb move.
    Last edited by Akahina; 21st June 2012 at 04:15 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

and like changing new york to york - ends up in entirely a different demographic altogether - what a mockery.

Post Thanks / Like

so all the bottles will be renamed with Saint Laurent and not YSL?

I really like Heidi Slimane and the work he has done, he is new, fresh and for sure will bring something different.
    On the other hand - Yves Saint Laurent or YSL is such a respected brand name as such and changing it could affect the way people view it. Taking into account many people dont speak French and wont know that "Yves" is just the name and "Saint Laurent" the surname. And when you present the "Saint Laurent Paris"... well it just doesnt remind you of the global iconic brand that it is...

But oh well, lets see what this young talent has to offer... and if it all goes wrong... that will serve the owners good for launching such horrible YSL fragrances lately :P:P

Guerlainista
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by whitechandoo View Post
    so all the bottles will be renamed with Saint Laurent and not YSL?
    I suppose so. Fahrenheit bottles just say "Dior" now, but they still use the CD logo. I would guess that they will do the same - change the name but keep the logo.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Hedi Slimane can do whatever he wants. I'd trust him fully.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    How many acts of affront can they make against the memory of their founder / creator ? First Opium and now his name. It makes me have even more respect for Chanel where they do not forget Gabrielle Bonheur Chanel but celebrate her instead .
    I know right? Disrespecting The man who started it all

The house needs to revamp a little but, I'm not fond of the name change too much even though it is progressive.

Hedi really isn't that much of a revolutionary , putting shoulder darts in a leather jacket that would only fit a 15 year old boy or someone with manorexia and charging 4.5 grand for it ...

Stupid!!!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    Hedi really isn't that much of a revolutionary , putting shoulder darts in a leather jacket that would only fit a 15 year old boy or someone with manorexia and charging 4.5 grand for it ...
    +1

It's the reason ,reportedly ,that Karl Lagerfeld lost weight- to fit into those skinny clothes by Slimane.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Post Thanks / Like

"Mr. Slimane, our fashion house is struggling! What should we do?"
    "Does the house have multiple words in its name?"
    "Yes, it does!"
    "Drop the first word, and we'll restore this company to profitability in no time!"

I personally think it's idiotic, but if it works, can't argue with results.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely pointless!! There are many things they could do to reenergize Yves Saint Laurent, changing the name is not one of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Yves Saint Laurent is iconic, the change seems so pointless.

Post Thanks / Like

Changing the name from "Christian Dior" to "Dior" was a good idea, but people were already using just the word "Dior" before they officially changed the name. That's not the case with Yves Saint Laurent. People always say the whole name, probably because it sounds classy and rolls off the tongue nicely. "Saint Laurent" by itself just doesn't do it. Big mistake.

As previously reported, the Yves Saint Laurent name will continue to be used for "institutional" purposes, while the iconic YSL logo will remain in its original form.

Going back to it's roots...
    80_1966.jpg

MMmm, maybe cause people are lazy these days and don't want to say more than a couple syllables and they are just adjusting to the times? Lol.
    "Only by pride cometh contention: but with the well advised is wisdom." "It is honorable for a man to stop striving, Since any fool can start a quarrel." Proverbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Difficult to continue the designer's legacy when his first name is no longer suitable for marketing purposes. Like no one could see this was going to happen after L'Oreal bought them.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Must be a good idea, since the acronym SL is free in the upper class fragrance market...

Post Thanks / Like

I guess the perfumes and accessory lines etc. will not be affected by this, the logo is cult and will probably be used anyways. However, the fashion lines haven't sold well lately which imo had nothing to do with the quality of the design, they were just not really meeting the "zeitgeist" and chanel and dior etc. are of course huge competitors. YSL didn't manage to get enough attention. So, for the fashion line it makes sense to take "Yves" out of the name in order to detach the sort of retro personal identity from the brand some more and of course just Slimane himself will attract many younger costumers. My problem is that I just didn't really like what he did with Dior in the first place and don't think he is the design god everyone writes him up to be. But of course being a good designer also means being commercially successful and he certainly knows how to please the masses. I am far more interested in Raf Simons for Dior!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Horrible! Poor Yves! He's probably crying from his grave!

Thats not nearly as bad as his "California Song" exhibit. What a fuckup.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a fan of this change... though when Donatella Versace dropped "Gianni" from all Gianni Versace labels, I felt it was very appropriate seeing how Donatella pretty much took a vibrant, amazing label and turned it into straight-up trash.

Many times people abbreviate labels, like Dior or whatnot, but YSL? It just seems strange YSL products will now be "St. Laurent"... from YSL to SL... odd, to me, but Slimane will likely revitalize the image of this struggling house.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

okay, i'm the only one who supports this change, but i think the less syllables, the better.