Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Imagining The Smell Of Blind Buys?

Do any of yall do this before a purchase of a new scent you never smelled before?

Like with reviews, comments on here, users on youtube...and a combination of them all, I think of the smell in my head.

Sometimes the idea of it in my head...comes out being a really close when I try it. Then, there is the other side of things where I end up with something that surprises me and ends up not being what I expected.

Anyone else?
    Last edited by yteek; 22nd June 2012 at 01:03 AM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Imaging the smell of blind buys?

Yeah, I do this. I think we all do it.

IMO, I my abstract imagination is usually close to my blind buys, but not quite there. I've never completely and accurately predicted a blind buy.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Imaging the smell of blind buys?

Of course I do. Usually the descriptions are pretty close to the actual scent but, as Ellena says, it is always good to be surprised at least a bit. After I have worn the fragrance I often re-read the reviews and usually they do a good job of describing what I am smelling.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Imagining The Smell Of Blind Buys?

Yes, I do . I often do exactly what BurgundyMarsh does !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Usually when the overwhelming majority ofpeople share the opinion of a fragrance they are right

Quote Originally Posted by yteek View Post
    Do any of yall do this before a purchase of a new scent you never smelled before?
    I personally don't.

Post Thanks / Like

You have to be fairly familiar with most smells to really translate a good review
    sometimes someones tar like scent smells like burnt rubber (they may sound the same, but different imagery producing different emotions), so on.

at the end of the day, its best purchasing a small decant before buying a big bottle. Better to waste $5 on a sample than $150 on a bottle
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Basenotes Junkie
    Post Thanks / Like

I've hit it almost spot on with a couple of my blind buys, and a couple of others, not so much. I blind traded for CDG Palisander and it was almost exactly what I expected. I blind bought LIDGE and it was quite off from what I expected. I still kinda dig the blind buy stuff. It's a pretty cool adventure, and if I haven't liked it, I have been able to trade all that I didn't like.

I do but the problem is people don't have the same senses of smell...also frags can smell differently on different people's skin.

I did a lot of blind buying the first few years, then I began to get a better idea of what I was seeking, but I still do it on rare occasion. The last one was Cactus Shot by Everlast. I was impressed by the quality and construction of their original, and hoped the quality would be there in CS. Also, there were a few reviews that were "all over the map," which intrigues me. One person thought it was too sweet and a bit feminine, while another said it was too "green," with grassy/weedy qualities. Yet another spoke of an "ozonic" quality which he thought might have been due to a listed note, angelica. Also, it's selling cheaply now and is rare in the USA, so I couldn't help myself. What I found was that the fig/fig leaf quality was strong, with moderate sweetness. If smelled up close on the skin it indeed has a grassy/weedy quality. However, I never got any ozonic/angelica type thing, so that just might have been the top notes. I'm glad I bought it, because it is a good quality frag (like a milder, more natural Xeryus Rouge), but it reinforces my sense that I should not blind buy any more, especially considering how much I dislike common wood notes in recent frags. I also rarely come across anything particularly novel or special, just variations on a theme, if not an outright copy, apparently.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

hmmmm... I have to say that I don't actually try to imagine the smell. The notes give me an indication of whether I may like it- but I don't try to flesh out or compare to another scent until the first actual sniff happens.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Post Thanks / Like

Yup. My last blind was Borneo 1834, it was extremely close to what I expected - to be honest I hoped it to be harsher and far more camphorous, it was a lot more refined than I thought but imagining cocoa/patchouli - you can't go far off!
    Very happy with it though

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

l have pretty much always tried to imagine what a blind buy will smell like, with mixed results. l think that over time one gets better at it, as one's nose becomes more educated. However, blind buys are rare for me nowadays, as there is usually some way of avoiding the risk by sampling first.
    Having said that, l am now awaiting delivery of a blind-bought bottle of Alien Liqueur de Parfum, as it has proved impossible to find here. l am fairly confident that l will like it, being a big fan of the original. l imagine it as a more "golden", ambery & perhaps boozy interpretation of the scent. Time will tell if l am right!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Dependent
    Post Thanks / Like

My track record with this is all over the place. It all depends on the accuracy of note pyramids, knowledge and accuracy of reviews, similarity of reviewers' perception with mine, and individual sensitivities.

Recently, I tried Pure Shot and it was exactly how I imagined it. A 100% match like that doesn't happen often to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting discussion. I'm a newbie when it comes to buying for myself and I haven't considered a blind buy - in fact, I've only made 3 purchases for myself, all after sampling. I've sampled several dozen fragrances in the past month (some in stores, some from obtaining samples), and many over the past few decades when buying for my wife. And one thing that strikes me is that I dislike most of them - and I really can't imagine I'd ever risk wasting good money by buying blind.

Can I imagine what a fragrance smells like from the list of notes? Other than in very general terms, no. I've sampled fragrances that smell similar to each other, but after getting back home I've found the listed notes to be completely different. And I've found fragrances with similar-sounding lists of notes, but which just don't seem at all similar to me.

I like reading reviews, but unless you know who the reviewer is and that they have a similar nose to yourself, they can be very misleading. I've read "X smells very similar to Y"... when to me they're as similar as violets and dog poo.

Even the presence of well-known notes in different fragrances can be misleading. Take, for example, lemon and bergamot, which are in many fragrances. But is the opening of Eau Sauvage just the same as other fragrances that have the same two notes? To me it's very different to anything else I've sampled (and it's terrific - it's one of my 3 so far).

And take vetiver. It has pretty distinctive characteristics, and unless it is in very low concentration, I don't have much trouble detecting it in a fragrance. But does that mean I can imagine the scents of different vetiver-based fragrances from their lists of notes? Nope.

Maybe with a lot more experience I'll gain a better ability to imagine overall scents from notes lists, but currently I'm a long way away from it - and a long way from ever buying blind.
    Alan

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

All my buys ever were all blind buys. After watching a bunch of reviews on youtube from different reviewers sorta gives you the idea of what you're gonna get. For me 90+% of my BBs were what I imagined or BETTER than I had expected.
    Last edited by MickeyMouseClub; 30th June 2012 at 08:55 AM. Reason: 90+% not 80

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Un Jardin Sur Le Toit was exactaly like I imagined. Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin was VERY different, but after a time I liked it.

Post Thanks / Like

I really can't imagine I'd ever risk wasting good money by buying blind.
    After having said that, I've since bought two bottles blind

One is Rive Gauche PH, which was discounted online - and it's become an instant favourite.

The other is Worth PH, based on a recommendation as a nice fougere - it was so cheap (8 in postage) that I reckoned I could take the risk. And it's great stuff.

I also have another blind buy in the post - I couldn't resist the half price summer sale at Floris and ordered a bottle of No 89, without any really possibility of sampling it first. So far so good, though
    Alan