Code of Conduct

Default Tom Ford: Italian Cypress

Notes: Citrus, Basil, Mint, woods and resins, Cypress

I've read about this being compared to RL Polo. I don't smell the slightest resemblance although I can extrapolate where someone may arrive at the notion. I've also read about the comparison to Rive Gauche by YSL and this isn't the case either. However, it is a dead ringer for YSL Jazz. Both Rive Gauche and Jazz share that Barbesol shaving foam accord that Italian Cypress also has. The reason it is most similar to Jazz is because they both share cinnamon on top of that shaving foam accord. My money would go to Jazz which has more depth and boldness. Italian Cypress is somewhat brighter and smooth making it a tad more wearable perhaps as it finishes with a slightly woody resin. However, the cost is prohibitive and since the creation of Jazz, one has to question if this is needed.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Default Re: Tom Ford: Italian Cypress

Doesn't smell like Polo at all to me. Smells just like Halston Z-14 but with better ingredients.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by mesaboogie View Post
    Doesn't smell like Polo at all to me.
    Nor to me.

Doesn't smell like Polo at all to me. Smells just like Halston Z-14 but with better ingredients.
    Yes, it can very well smell the similarities to Z-14.

Sound Scents

I find it closer to Rive Gauche than Polo or Z-14... That said, I prefer all three of those scents to Italian Cypress for a lot less money.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Smells just like Halston Z-14 but with better ingredients.
    Halston Man (silver bottle) is supposed to be 'a celebration of the timeless Halston Z-14 fragrance and uses key notes from the original scent.'

I quite like Italian Cypress but not enough to justify the cost. Does anyone know how Halston Man compares?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I've read about this being compared to RL Polo.
    When I first purchased this scent, I got strong similarities to Polo, before hearing that many other people got this too.

However, I now no longer get much similarity!

I agree 100% with the Z-14 comparison. It smelled nothing like Polo to me.

I totally love the classy and elegant bottles but I've yet to find a juice in the line worth buying. I have a sample of lavender palm I will test next. Briefly, it smells very natural in an essential oil type of way.

This!!!

I totally love the classy and elegant bottles but I've yet to find a juice in the line worth buying. I have a sample of lavender palm I will test next. Briefly, it smells very natural in an essential oil type of way.
    I sampled Neroli Portifino in NYC and I was underwhelmed. Of the ones I've smelled/worn, Italian Cypress and Tuscan Leather are the only ones worth owning, but not at their price points. Maybe for $75 or so.

...and they're raising prices too, 50 ml is going to $205!
    Splits!

Tom Ford - Patchouli Absolu --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...tchouli-Absolu

I like this but I am still drawing the same conclusion. I really like this but can anyone justify or argue the price point? I'm not sure it is worth it and it seems to be a skin scent on me. Plus, this is a cinnamon bomb and was hoping to get more conniffer out of it.

I like this but I am still drawing the same conclusion. I really like this but can anyone justify or argue the price point? I'm not sure it is worth it and it seems to be a skin scent on me. Plus, this is a cinnamon bomb and was hoping to get more conniffer out of it.
    I don't think any of the Tom Ford PB's are worth their retail price. I've gotten several of them for $1 per ml in splits. Italian Cypress is nice, but it's just an updated Halston Z-14. It's more natural and modern smelling than Z-14, but it's very close. On me IC projects quite a bit.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Dependent

IC is exactly halfway between Z-14 and Valentino Vendetta to my nose -- which is to say almost identical to (pre-2011) Z-14 but a little deeper, a little more longlasting, a little more natural, and slightly sharper. Also, it's about 2x as potent, which makes sense since it's an EdP and I believe Z-14 is a cologne.

I'm flabbergasted by the comparisons to Rive Gauche ... much more distant comparison.

I've never tried Jazz but now I'm curious to.

I like Italian Cypress. Longevity and projection is decent. I do three sprays.

Whether it's worth the price, that's debatable. For me it was because I got a 50 ml BNIB for around $135. Got it from eBay. I think I'd stick with splits though, I got a 3-4 year old batch and the Private Blend sprayers aren't that great.

Italian Cypress smells as synthetic as any other niche and designer fragrances made these days.

I don't know the latest Z-14, but I'd take the far bigger, better and natural smelling bottle of Z-14 I bought ten years ago over ten bottles of Italian Cypress, which smells almost entirely synthetic, as do M (Puredistance) and all kinds of others people go on about smelling so natural. There are better fragrances than Z-14, but it had a chutzpah and temporal development that few modern niche and designer fragrances can even approximate. Vendetta (Valentino) on the other hand was always structurally poverty stricken and smelled like it was made with cheaper ingredients.

In the 90's it was rare for anything to be more than 15-20% natural. With IFRA regulations intensifying since the early 2000's and being far more restrictive for the last few years, it's unlikely that natural ingredients make up more than 10% of any composition. All of these fragrances are run through GC-MS and the formulas are widely known. What fascinates perfumers today is how anything truly great can be made.

Nope, never got the Polo association from this one either. Dead ringer for z-14, but much more rich (compared to current z-14 formula which has, as I understand it, been castrated).

I have 25ml from a split that should last me a long time.

It seems TF errs on the side on bond in their reluctance to create original pieces. I totally get the z-14 connection as I use to wear it back in the day. I wonder if TF and bond run mass spec to dup originals?

I just bought a used bottle of Italian Cypress for $60 (40% full), so I can tolerate that price much better.

I wore this the other day and just totally swooned for it. IC, along with Creed SMW, are my current "me" scents, that smell like I want to smell!

I just bought a brand new bottle of TF IC from an ebay vendor. With just 40% left of my 1.7 OZ, I could not let a decent deal (about $160 shipped) pass me by.