Code of Conduct

Default Nautica Voyage - best inexpensive perfume

If you would ask the best inexpensive perfume, it would definitely be Nautica Voyage.
    I've ordered it blind and was amazed by the Roucel's composition.
    Fresh and floral.
    Smells like Aqua Fahrenheit though more conceptual and had been composed prior to Dior's scent.
    "PLAIN LIVING, HIGH THINKING" O.W., De Profundis
    Real beauty: 1) Frederic Malle 1-20 2) Chanel Egoiste 3) YSL Opium pour Homme edp 4) TF Noir de Noir

Noses: 1) Jacques Cavallier 2) Maurice Roucel

Default Re: Nautica Voyage - best inexpensive perfume

Personally think Aqua Fahrenheit is much better even though it's more expensive.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Personally, I tried Nautica Voyage and I wasn't too impressed. It wasn't as special as some people make it out to be. It smelt just like the other Nautica colognes (which smell badly in general).

I think the best inexpensive cologne would have to be Cool Water.

i don't think Nautica Voyage smells anything like aqua fahrenheit imo,i would say izod is the best cheapie i have smelled to date..

The best inexpensive fragrance: Grey Flannel

I wish there was somewhere I could smell the cheapies. I don't doubt that some are excellent (and others are crap), but it seems like the only way to try any of them is to blind buy. Nautica Voyage is one I've heard lots of good things about and have been dying to sample.

Its a great one for sure.

I kinda hate it, actually.
    My Top Ten:

1: Guerlain - Habit Rouge
    2: Guerlain - Jicky
    3: Guerlain - Mouchoir de Monsieur
    4: Guerlain - Shalimar
    5: Knize - Knize Ten
    6: Caron - Yatagan
    7: Caron - Pour Un Homme
    8: Jean Desprez - Bal a Versailles
    9: Yves Saint Laurent - M7
    10: Salvador Dali - Dali Pour Homme

Completely agree with the praise it gets. It's beautiful.

Nautica Voyage rates high with me, but so far the best $20 fragrance that I know of is:

Bogart Pour Homme.

For a cheapie, I really enjoy Dirty English by Juicy Couture. Great casual scent (light woods and citrus) with a bit of mystery to it (synthetic oud note), and the ladies really like it. It's a great one to wear when you want to feel like being forward with the ladies and ask for what you really want, instead of just being a a gentleman all the time.

I really like it. and it lasts quite a while which is a big plus

Nautical voyage is great for what you spent for. Other honorable mentions are dirty English and baldessari Ambre, great scent for cheap.

Rocky Mountain He Wood >>>>>>Ocean Wet Wood>>>>>> Nautica "mimose overload" Voyage

I was a fan of Nautica Voyage at first, but now it makes me sick
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Its not bad. My favourite cheapie would be Live Jazz.

Well I agree its a good value but...
    On my skin it lasts forever so as an aquatic fragrance that’s a positive. I find it strong, really strong, so I have to go light on the trigger. Its also sweet, clear, not heavy. Another good trait it does not open with the smell of alcohol like so many cheap fragrances. I don't find it changes much as it dries down. Its “what you smell is what you get” (wysiwyg).

I does NOT smell like Joop (pink) but I have the same experience, I like it but I find it hard to wear, like too strong or sweet, or piercing. I cant pin it down but it just seems to dominate and that makes it hard to relax with. But all in all, its not junk.

If I worked in a chemical factory that might be the only way I would think it smells natural. LOL.

I've read all the raves about Nautica Voyage here on BNotes - so I bought it . . . did not like it at all. It is just like so many other chemically rich bright blue fresh "perfumes" on the market. How is it that opinions can differ so greatly on this fragrance?

Quote Originally Posted by El_Guapo View Post
    For a cheapie, I really enjoy Dirty English by Juicy Couture. Great casual scent (light woods and citrus) with a bit of mystery to it (synthetic oud note), and the ladies really like it. It's a great one to wear when you want to feel like being forward with the ladies and ask for what you really want, instead of just being a a gentleman all the time.
    Bingo! I was gonna put the same thing but you beat me to it.

Banned

I also agree that Dirty English by Juicy Couture is a better choice. A good, manly scent for year round, it's somewhat spicy and woody with loads of a masculine-smelling, leather vibe. Projection and longevity are pretty good too.

Basenotes Junkie

One of my biggest compliment getters. More so than my expensive frags.

We really don't have "cheapies" in the UK. It's rare to find a bottle retailing under £25 here, unless it's on special offer.
    Visit my Wordwide Swap Thread here for niche and designer full bottle trades: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/305...tles-(UK-only)

And my Worldwide full bottle sale thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/306...S-(UK-EU-only)

I love Nautica Voyage, lasts long, smells great, and at 15$ for 100ml it's hard to beat!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    lol not sure if serious

Quote Originally Posted by change1 View Post
    I was a fan of Nautica Voyage at first, but now it makes me sick
    +1. Think I oversprayed the other day.

I think it is great for $20. Smells good, the old lady likes it, and is inoffensive to most. Not my favorite cheapie but a good one. Cool water is better for a cheapie. Also I like chrome better.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

'Best' is subject to personal preferences and 'relative' to whatever else you've tried at similar price points. I've smelt better similarly-priced compositions so I'm definitely not a fan. I'd recommend trying out more stuff. But if you like it, it shouldn't matter what I or anyone else think.

Tried it out for the first time today from a sample I bought online, smells pretty good. Does anyone get a bit of that powdery/green 'Curve feel' in the dry down ?
    The sense of smell, like a faithful counsellor, foretells its character.

My single worst blind buy mistake ever!

I don't get any similarity to Curve (probably one of my favourite cheapies); just a chemical mess reminiscent of toilet cleaner. Even if this was only $2 for 100ml it would be too expensive.

I got Jordan Legend and PE 360 Red for less than $15 each and I think I like 'em both better than Voyage. But Voyage is good cheapie.

I actually kind of like Voyage, i must say it's not my favorite thing in the world, but i wouldn't mind wearing it from time to time, i guess i can say i kind of enjoy it.

I didn't realize how good it was until i sold it to a co-worker and he started wearing it. Im gonna get it again next spring.

For under $20, this is a good one.

I really like this one, one of the best fragrance bargains out there for a nice enjoyable fresh scent.
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Michael Jordan Legend and CK One Shock for Him are both better cheapie but goodies imo, Voyage still isn't a slouch though not at all!!!

Quote Originally Posted by inc0gnito View Post
    Does anyone get a bit of that powdery/green 'Curve feel' in the dry down ?
    I don't get much Curve there (I always thought it had more of a Platinum Egoiste vibe), but I definitely pick up the green, and agree with iMaverick's observation: "LOL! You gotta be kidding me...a modern fougere staring you at the face, and people assume it's a fresh aquatic because of the Nautica association."

I appreciate its linearity as well. I understand silentrich's "mimosa overload" reservation, but a walk-through application tempers it somewhat.
    Last edited by frug; 9th November 2012 at 05:28 PM.

Basenotes Junkie

Finished my bottle over the summer. Got loads of compliments on it. Will be rebuying it when spring hits. I used it for my everyday work scent. Gives me that out of the shower, fresh and clean vibe.

I like it, but it's not great. If I spray it anywhere near my nose, I get nauseated.

Voyage is good. I don't know if it is the best cheapie since there are soooo many.

Quote Originally Posted by frug View Post
    I don't get much Curve there (I always thought it had more of a Platinum Egoiste vibe), but I definitely pick up the green, and agree with iMaverick's observation: "LOL! You gotta be kidding me...a modern fougere staring you at the face, and people assume it's a fresh aquatic because of the Nautica association."
    So true! But remember, there are people - even here on BN - who think Bleu de Chanel is aquatic (because of 'bleu')

One of my favorite BNers swears the way to enjoy Voyage is to apply lightly. This is one that can easily be wrecked by going overboard. I don't own this one yet. It's on my list for next spring.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    So true! But remember, there are people - even here on BN - who think Bleu de Chanel is aquatic (because of 'bleu')

One of my favorite BNers swears the way to enjoy Voyage is to apply lightly. This is one that can easily be wrecked by going overboard. I don't own this one yet. It's on my list for next spring.
    He is 100% correct. As I mentioned in my last post, Voyage gives me a terrible headache when over applied. It's a fairly nice scent though.

wow. +1

New development: I acquired two bottles recently and just by taking the caps off and smelling them that way, it was clear that the Lancaster version is richer and has a nice apple note, while the Coty version is thin and has hardly any apple note. Of course, I want to do a side-by-side comparison on skin one day soon, but in the meantime, I suggest seeking out the Lancaster version (they also made Zino).

The Best Cheap Cologne i have ever used is Incidence by Yves de Sistelle http://www.parisbleu.com/#/fr/men/br...nce-pour-homme , This is fantastic , it was my signature scent for 2 years until it became common and all my friends bought it , i swear it is potent and lasts all day with massive sillage and projection especially if used with the deodrant spray , and no one know about it , i swear all friends guys and girls gave me compliments , and asked what i was wearing and everyone started wearing it after all "Damn Damn!! you smell incredible!". the price is 10$ and i buy it from the supermarket.

Bought Voyage blind and do not care for it. If I ever remember it will be gifted to a nephew.

Pretty good cheapie.

Basenotes Junkie

Finished a bottle last summer and will be purchasing another for this summer. One of my most complimented frags, that and P.E. 360 Red. Both are inexpensive and smell great. Will always have both in my wardrobe for everyday work scents.

Have never smelled Nautica Voyage but i do LOVE Nautica Blue. Nautica Blue and CK Eternity are two of my favorite scents.

Voyage is great, though easy to overdo.

Problem here is that it suffers from a sort of Bizarro/reverse-Green Irish Tweed syndrome on Basenotess. Perhaps its Luca Turin's 4-star review but people are way more willing to dismiss it as overrated or trash, when in reality its just a totally pleasant floral aquatic. there's a bandwagon here running about to keep it down just as much as the GIT crowd tries to keep their favorite up.

and no those scents aren't at all similar, just that, in my opinion, these two frags seem to lend themselves to groupthink

Quote Originally Posted by DreamerII View Post
    Smells like Aqua Fahrenheit though more conceptual and had been composed prior to Dior's scent.
    Not too big on Aqua Fahrenheit; it smelled great when I sprayed it on my arm to sample, but just like the original Fahrenheit, the 'gas' note literally gave me a migraine headache.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    New development: I acquired two bottles recently and just by taking the caps off and smelling them that way, it was clear that the Lancaster version is richer and has a nice apple note, while the Coty version is thin and has hardly any apple note. Of course, I want to do a side-by-side comparison on skin one day soon, but in the meantime, I suggest seeking out the Lancaster version (they also made Zino).
    Is there a way to know which is which by looking at the box? I've been thinking about purchasing this one, but I want to make sure I get the right version if they are indeed different.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    How is the longevity on the Coty version???
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

Basenotes Member

I think its a great one but my favorite cheap Frag is Cuba Gold hands down!
    Smelling Good on a Budget!