Code of Conduct

Default A "sad" scent for hot days?

Could you suggest?

Like e.g. L´Heure Bleue...............but this one doesn´t seem to me as appropriate at 34°C.

Blog Entries

Default Re: A "sad" scent for hot days?

Can you elaborate? Do you mean you want something that makes you feel sad, or something to comfort you when you feel sad?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Guerlain Apres L'Ondee lighter and more sheer than L'Heure Bleue but a similar wistfull feeling or perhaps the lovely Iris Silver Mist from Serge Lutens.

Basenotes Institution

L'eau d'Hiver by Malle .

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
    Guerlain Apres L'Ondee lighter and more sheer than L'Heure Bleue but a similar wistfull feeling or perhaps the lovely Iris Silver Mist from Serge Lutens.
    Après l'Ondee for sure!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Iris is a bit sad (or at least contemplative), for me, but it is also cooling in summer. My memory is a sieve, but there was some iris scent I tried recently that brought my mood way down, so I actually had to shower it off because I began to feel depressed, but I can't remember what it was! It might have been the Chanel one, 28 la Pausa. At any rate, there are many iris scents out there.

something that would express my sadness

Blog Entries

Something 'wistful', suitable for hot weather, might be;
    Hermes- Un Jardin Sur Le Nil, Profumum-Neroli, Chanel-Beige or 31 Rue Cambon
    Also, Diptyque-Jardin Clos

Also coming back to mention: Mitsouko. I have this in edt and it always induces a melancholy mood in me. A pleasurable one.

All Iris based scents are good for "sad" days but I like 31 Rue Cambon by Chanel or Lutens Iris Silver Mist .

- - - Updated - - -

But Iris and hot days ? I don't think Iris will dry down well in heat .

Hiris by Hermes is very melancholic.

Diptique - Eau Lente
    Mitsouko
    SL - Gris Clair

Great suggestions already (iris seems to be a good material for the purpose).

Alternatively, as perfume critic Luca Turin stated, Dior Dune is the bleakest of them all. And it seems to have been intended as a summer frag...

cacio

go with the Dune...none of the others are truly unhappy fragrances.

Gris Clair might work, indeed, I think lavender would work in general. But as always, it's quite personal what one finds melancholic - I agree with some of the suggestions above and disagree with others.

I think scents on the more masculine side or cyphres would work well. They give me a "detached" feeling, they are of another time, another place - just how I feel when I am melancholic.

Prada Infusion d'Iris is sheer, light and sad.

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

A light application of Demeter's Funeral Home, Dirt, or Rain. Agreed with Dune, or most perfumes with a strong saltiness. The caviar in Womanity reads as melancholy to me but almost to the point of being disturbing. L'eau D'Issey, Shalimar Legere, and nearly all modern Chloes and Pradas have a sedate, forcedly tasteful air about them that rings of mourning like wearing an elegant gray shift dress on a rainy day.

Baghari by Piguet is my personal luxuriously sad scent.
    Last edited by anomie et ivoire; 27th June 2012 at 09:35 AM.

I don't perceive L´Heure Bleue as sad at all. I'd call Jacomo's Silences somewhat introspective, though this view might be influenced to some extend by the name and the big, black bottle. It is not similar to the Guerlain though but a rather green scent.

Please can someone explain why Dune is described as Bleak?

I've always found it to be mood enhancing. Something about the gorse note smells of childhood

Basenotes Junkie anomie et ivoire's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Dune is complex and doesn't have any easy, happy friendly notes, in spite of some citrus--not that those types of notes automatically make something cheery since they can be mixed to all kinds of ends. But I'd more accurately call Dune moody since it changes in a way that is like the ocean breeze blowing sands around (marketing works).

Dune's most prominent notes to me are all the heavy, minor key left side of the piano things like resins, incense, mosses, woods, and instead of coming off as rich, they are kicked up over and over again by the aldehydes like that same piano has its pedal being pressed down to make the deep notes echo.

Since Lily is the most prominent flower (the only one noticeable to my not very refined or experienced nose) I notice that Demeter's Funeral Home is a lily also, and this note conveys an austerity or mourning culturally.

The film noir-like complexity and uncaring mother nature is merciless-type self-containedness of Dune make it sometimes feel bleak to me (it's all Greek to me, too, though).

What about La Rose de Rosine? Not flagged as a "melancholy" scent, but to me there's something nostalgic and - yes - a little sad about this scent, perhaps the muguet which keeps the rose and violet from becoming too exuberant.

I agree with the Apres L'Ondee suggestion, especially if you're going for something similar in character to L'Heure Bleue ...and lilybelle could be onto something with her recommendation of 28, La Pausa which does seem rather serious, somehow. And Iris Silver Mist - although stunningly beautiful, I can see that feeling a bit grim, too.

But it's really a matter of personal perceptions, as evidenced by the suggestion of Dune, which is neither bleak nor sad to me - I wouldn't love it and wear it so much if I found it sad. I think that's the power of suggestion at work, again. To me Dune is luxurious and opulent, warm and sultry ...I wouldn't necessarily describe it as frivolous or flirty, but it's far from being a downer.
    Last edited by Evangeline; 28th June 2012 at 01:36 PM.
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    I agree with the Apres L'Ondee suggestion, especially if you're going for something similar in character to L'Heure Bleue ...and lilybelle could be onto something with her recommendation of 28, La Pausa which does seem rather serious, somehow. And Iris Silver Mist - although stunningly beautiful, I can see that feeling a bit grim, too.

But it's really a matter of personal perceptions, as evidenced by the suggestion of Dune, which is neither bleak nor sad to me - I wouldn't love it and wear it so much if I found it sad. I think that's the power of suggestion at work, again. To me Dune is luxurious and opulent, warm and sultry ...I wouldn't necessarily describe it as frivolous or flirty, but it's far from being a downer.
    So true. i agree with everything here. Also, 28 La Pausa would be the perfect summer wistful scent.

I have another "iris" sad suggestion: Heeley Iris de Nuit. In a 100+ degree heat it is the only one I can wear outside of the house and it has both cooling and melancholic effect on me.

Frederic Malle Angelique Sous la Pluie.....very light and summery, but makes me think of rain falling on concrete, and seems introspective and a bit melancholy.

I'd also agree with the suggestions of Apres L'Ondee, Hiris, and L'Eau d'Hiver....iris fragrances tend to be cooling but not energizing the way citrus is.